default header

Games

[PS4] [ONE] [PC] [360] [PS3] Thief (2014)

Moderator: JC Denton

[PS4] [ONE] [PC] [360] [PS3] Thief (2014)

Unread postby recoil » 01 Feb 2013 06:22

http://www.thief4.com/

Thief4.JPG
Thief4.JPG (8.89 KiB) Viewed 23926 times

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thief_(series)#Thief_4

Thief 4 (currently stylized as THI4F) is the upcoming fourth title in the Thief series, currently in development at Eidos Montréal and to be published by Square Enix. No information aside from an official unveiling is known, save a listing on Eidos' home page. Since early 2008, several rumors had been circulating regarding a fourth Thief game, which was allegedly under development. Eidos Montréal's General Manager Stéphane D'Astous commented in an interview for Deus Ex: Human Revolution that confirmation of the company's second "AAA title," which its website states "begins with the letter 'T'," would occur "over the next year" or so.

Thief 4 was officially unveiled on May 11, 2009. D'Astous was quoted on the main page as stating Thief 4 was currently in early development: "We're in the early development stages for Thief 4, but this is an incredibly ambitious project and a very exciting one. It's too early for us to offer any specific game details. Right now, we are focused on recruiting the very best talent to join the core team at the studio and help us make what we believe will be one of the most exciting games on the market." It's rumoured that Thief 4 will have a multiplayer mode, a first in the series. On January 17th 2013 Neogaf found LinkedIn files that indicated network programmers were working on the project. Eidos Montreal was expanded in 2010 with a seperate team for multiplayer development, and when MP producer Joe Khoury was asked if they would also work on their next project, Thief 4, he didn't deny or confirm.

thief4 (1).jpg
thief4 (1).jpg (42.22 KiB) Viewed 23926 times

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02 ... creenshot/

Quintin Smith wrote:Strategy Informer sends word of this, a photo posted by Eidos Montreal and subsequently picked up by French site JeuxVideo. You can find the original photo here. My feverish analysis follows.

-As JeuxVideo points out, it’s… third person! Which (again, pointed out by them) echoes this NoFrag rumour that much of the game is played in third person, including “climbing, movement and even archery”. I was kind of hoping those rumours would be a dirty sack of lies, since that same post goes on to describe that the game is very linear. Hmm. Course, Deadly Shadows had the option to play in the third person, but it’d be an interesting decision if this time around that was forced on us.

-That building in the background looks massive-normous. Ordinarly I’d call that a good sign, but if this really is a linear game (as opposed to previous Thief games, which practically encouraged you to get lost), I don’t suppose it means anything.

-I don’t see a light gem. Do you see a light gem? Is it that thin-looking circular thing at the bottom?

-WHY IS HE HOLDING THE BOW SIDEWAYS. Did Garrett become a gangbanger while we were away? Is that what this is? Maybe there will also be on-rails shooting sections where you perform drive-bys from your horse and cart.

-It’s quite bright, innit? Am I nitpicking here?

-What happened to Thief’s pseudo-steampunk magical streetlamps? Did Thief 3 jettison them from the series already? I can’t remember.

-Minimalist HUD! I am a fan.
recoil

Unread postby dinopoke » 02 Feb 2013 04:36

http://gematsu.com/2012/06/thief-4-30-s ... ler-leaked

Much a mystery still surrounds Thief 4. The game was announced in May 2009, and went silent immediately after. In February last year, images from Eidos Montreal’s website supposedly showed a first look at the sequel. Development began to ramp up in April last year after work on Deus Ex: Human Revolution was complete. In November, a set of storyboards appeared online, and in February this year, resumes revealed Square Enix to be sitting on a completed trailer for the game.

Internet sleuth Superannuation recently dug up new details on the title. Many of its developers, such as its lead level designer, two concept artists, senior animator, and other staffers, have left Eidos Montreal for studios such as Ubiosft or Warner Bros. Fabien Morisson, a current level designer, mentions having created the “last level of the game” in his LinkedIn profile, which, despite the multiple departures, could suggest that the game is coming together quite nicely.

Jumping back to that Thief 4 trailer – the demo reel for lighting and compositing artist Eric Wong earlier today included the first 30 seconds of the unreleased clip. He has since replaced it, removing the Thief 4 footage, but not before we were able to grab it.

First 30 seconds of the leaked CGI Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf-LG5lKK5E
dinopoke

Unread postby Steven Berg » 05 Mar 2013 17:21

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... thief.aspx

Eidos Montreal has been working for years to reboot the classic stealth series Thief, and the fruits of its labor will finally be revealed in issue 240 of Game Informer Magazine.

Our April cover story is a world-exclusive look at this next-generation stealth title. Series hero Garrett returns to the Gothic, industrial metropolis known simply as the City to steal any and everything that will make him richer. Unfortunately, the City is broiling with social tension as it is ravaged by a plague and lorded over by a political tyrant known as the Baron. In order to survive his adventures, Garrett will have to pay attention to his environment and make use of the may possible paths through each of the game's levels.

Square Enix plans to release Thief for PS4, PC, and other next-gen platforms sometime in 2014. Check out our coverage trailer for a taste of all the content you can look forward to absorbing over the next month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8En3Y4Hy7vI

d40673f8ccb4dd73532d647b88f5c76a.jpg

d746a62737b1e7ded00447453714e407.jpg

b671c8eebd9596cf170a49e35fa779e4.jpg

abd2d0d30327dabf4b7d6b64d37071cd.jpg

a965532f970d85d43bdff0cbf2b81451.jpg

19475071a27183a4fee68d7f9f267e1d.jpg

571065e6abd08b1e042c8794d407575d.jpg

61bdcc2fb6ef38f5e6e26352b7fd3e19.jpg

9abff8c1a30e2f9169af04a7f9b7c06e.jpg

4bdd609eb9fe58d843d56f350588f67b.jpg
Steven Berg

Unread postby Steven Berg » 06 Mar 2013 02:29

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/03/nex ... ormer.html

Information from the Game Informer preview:

The first-person stealth game sees the return of series hero Garrett, who is designed by the game’s director Nicolas Cantin. Eidos Montreal is being vague about how faithful to the Thief lore the new game will remain, and is toning down many of the series’ magical elements.

Gameplay Demo

Game Informer was shown a lengthy gameplay demo of Thief.

The sequence opens with series hero Garrett returning to his hometown after a long absence, only to find a “city of melting prosperity,” according to the mag. The iron-fisted Baron now controls the city, and crushes its citizens through militarized watch. Only the elite are awarded with good fortune.

Garrett, motivated by the thrill of stealing something that others can’t, does not care for heroism. He sees the oppressive ruling as an opportunity to make money. He finds his way into the Stonemarket district in the back of a covered wagon, and watches the bodies of plague victims pile up in the street corners. Guards, meanwhile, are settling small civil disputes with force. And wealthy men stroll by with their own guards.

Two guards are speaking about a wealthy man named Theodore Eastwick, a principle architect, who was commissioned by Baron to build many of the city’s Gothic structures. According to the guards, Eastwick is at the House of Blossoms, an underground pleasure house on the other side of the city built to serve the elite.

At midnight, the gates to the house close, and Garrett makes his way in. He crouches behind crates, and a dark tint on the screen highlights his safety. He throws a bottle to distract the guards, and then climbs up a pipe on the side of the building. He moves across the roofs, bounds over merchant tables and under wagons, and dives through a nearby building window. Meanwhile, Eastwick is seen passing through the secret entrance to the House of Blossoms.

Garrett moves forward and enters the pleasure house undetected. The area is rich with patrons and scantily clad women who saunter by and flirt with men. Xiao Xiao, a transvestite, is seen greeting guests. Eastwick moves forward and Garrett loses him in the crowd. Xiao Xiao, meanwhile, notes that there is more security than usual, and says that anyone with anything of value can store it in his office strongbox. Garrett, being a thief, wants to get his hands on whatever’s inside.

Using Xiao Xiao’s logbook, Garrett can determine where Eastwick has gone. In this case: which bedroom Eastwick’s entered. But first, the strongbox, which Garrett can open via a lock-picking mini-game. But before he’s able to unlock it, Xiao Xiao enters the office. Garrett quickly rolls into a darkened corner and away from sight, leaving Xiao Xiao clueless to the attempted theft.

Xiao Xiao leaves, and Garrett opens the strongbox to find a jewel-encrusted heirloom. Garrett can’t quite leave yet, as Xiao Xiao is just outside the room, talking to one of his girls. But a hidden passageway grants Garrett his leave.

Using the pleasure house’s network of back doors, Garrett is eventually able to find Eastwick’s room. He enters and steals a medallion, and then uses his Focus ability, showing him a mysterious blue energy-glowing symbol written on the wall, which corresponds to one of the runes written on the medallion. Garrett turns a band of the medallion to line up with the rune with an arrow, causing the medallion to glow with a similar blue energy. Four adjacent rooms show four more symbols that line up. After the last symbol is locked, the medallion spins. Eastwick soon notices he’s been robbed and calls for help. And Xiao Xiao orders his guards to search everywhere.

The guards are searching as Garrett heads to one of the pleasure house’s back rooms. Earlier, he heard two service girls talking about the tragedy that followed after the ventilation system was accidentally overflowed with opium. With that in mind, he dumps the house’s stock of opium into the vents, sending everyone throughout the House of Blossoms into a deep sleep. Garrett, meanwhile, needs to keep his breath held and move quick.

But guards soon circle Garrett, who retreats into the opium fog and uses his bow to fire an arrow at a statue hanging above a door frame. The statue falls and crushes two guards, but another pins Garrett to the wall. Garrett then enters Focus mode, grabs the guard’s arm, jerks it behind his shoulder, and sends the guard crashing to the floor. When he’s finally free, Garrett grapples onto a nearby vent and heads down into the city sewers.

Artificial Intelligence

Garrett isn’t a fighter, so fighting against four or more guards in hand-to-hand combat won’t fair well for him. Guards and non-player characters are aware of a level’s design, and know where one might try to hide. Guards also understand the topography of the level and which areas could prove useful for hiding. Different NPCs will look for Garrett in different ways.

Mechanics

A navigation beacon will tell players where to go, but the development team wants players to explore environments as they see fit. There are multiple entrances and exits for each room, and multiple options available for a stealth approach.

The Focus mechanic mentioned earlier has many uses, such as highlighting interactive objects like climbable pipes or candles. Garret can also pickpocket enemies, and use Focus mode to slow down time and swipe up to three times as many items. Or, he can use Focus mode to show a number of attack areas on enemies, and select a point, such as the chest, to do a quick push and buy him more time to dash into the shadows. These points can be strung together to perform a more debilitating attack, too.

A Fingerprints system will give players hints on which drawers are best to look in. Every drawer can be accessed.

At the end of each mission, Garrett can spend money to upgrade his equipment. Throughout the game’s levels, various artifacts, which can be used to decorate Garrett’s hideout, are spread out for players to find.

Tools

Thief has various tools Garret can access:

● Blackjack: Can be used when sneaking up behind guards to knock them out.

● Bow: A powerful weapon that can also be used outside of combat. For example, fire an arrow at a bottle in another room to lure away a guard.

● Claw: Can be used to grapple certain points.

● Specialty Arrows: Each has a different use. A dry-ice arrow can be used to snuff flames from far away. A smoke-starter arrow can create a distraction.
Steven Berg

Unread postby mothmanspirit » 07 Mar 2013 03:46

Two new screens:

Thief_3.jpg

Thief_2.jpg
mothmanspirit

Unread postby Some guy » 31 Mar 2013 17:27

Some concept art:

1364648865-thief-4-streets-x.jpg
1364648865-thief-4-streets-x.jpg (81.56 KiB) Viewed 23751 times

1364648866-thief-4-tavern-x.jpg
1364648866-thief-4-tavern-x.jpg (90.4 KiB) Viewed 23751 times

1364648867-thief-4-sewers-x.jpg

Source: http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/03/thi ... t-art.html
Some guy

Unread postby Some guy » 31 Mar 2013 18:01

Some guy

Unread postby movie » 02 Apr 2013 00:56

movie

Unread postby Turnus » 04 Apr 2013 04:09

http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blog ... he-Shadows

So, back to Stephen Russell then. Why did using a full performance capture technique effect your decision?

Steven: With the new visual of Garrett we'd created, we found that there was a disconnect that we couldn't ignore between the concepted character and Stephen’s voice today.

Jean-Christophe: Yes. And to answer your question directly, the actor playing Garrett needed to be able to perform his own stunts. Garrett’s a really athletic guy. We could have pasted Stephen’s voice on top of the actions and stunts of someone else, but this wouldn’t appear natural. It really wouldn’t make any sense to capture the full performance for our other characters, but not for our star.

Watching all of Garrett's acrobatic maneuvers during the cutscenes was certainly one of the features that endeared me most to the original games. What a relief it is to see that Eidos Montreal has uncovered the heart of what made these games so great.

Setting the bar so high for their voice actors, I'm a little wary they may even expect as much from their players! If not even the legendary Stephen Russell could dodge a sword swipe, throw a flash bomb, jump through a window and spin around mid-air to fire off a life-saving rope arrow in their mo-cap studio, who among us could manage such a feat playing the actual game?

On a more serious note, I loved having Stephen's voice "pasted on top of the actions" I'd perform in the original. It added some much appreciated flavor to the game when I picked up some loot for the first time in Mission 1 and heard Garrett say to himself, "Well, since I'm in here, I might as well pick up something for myself." Couldn't agree with you more, Garrett! He and I were definitely on the same page almost as if we were thinking the same thing. But that's only one of the many reasons why it was such a joy to play as Garrett the Thief.
Turnus

Unread postby Turnus » 06 Apr 2013 23:13

Eidos Montreal and the Thief Legacy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi6OLeYs8fw

The Goals and Inspirations for Thief
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMwT9vMJJM

Thief on PS4: Behind the Scenes at Eidos Montreal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exR_qF0Jsh0

Interview with Lead Level Designer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W59_aT0WPnE

Community Video 1: Meet Romano
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGENrFor6i4
Turnus

Unread postby Turnus » 07 Apr 2013 03:50

Thief_2013_04-04-13_013.jpg

Thief_2013_04-04-13_018.jpg

Thief_2013_04-04-13_029.jpg

Thief_2013_04-04-13_016.jpg

Thief_2013_04-04-13_011.jpg

Thief_2013_04-04-13_017.jpg

Can't wait to see actual footage of the press demo. From all the articles I've read, it sounds amazing. Hopefully it will make an appearance by E3.
Turnus

Unread postby dinopoke » 18 Apr 2013 17:01

More screenshots and concept art from the batch posted above as well as a preview roundup:
http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/04/thi ... t-art.html

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/thie ... views.html

After checking out the gameplay demo of Thief, which you can read my thoughts on elsewhere on Strategy Informer, I was mightily impressed but had plenty of lingering questions. Fortunately afterwards I had a chance to talk with the game’s producer Stephane Roy of Eidos Montreal and put those questions to him. If he didn’t know I was a hardcore fan of the series beforehand he certainly did by the time we were finished, and probably regretted that fact somewhat...

Strategy Informer: Can I first confirm something – is Thief being made by a completely separate team from the Deus Ex: Human Revolution guys?

Stephane Roy: It’s a different team. We’re all the same studio, we share the same philosophy regarding making games, and there are a few crossovers as it’s a big project, but we’re a separate crew from them.

Strategy Informer: Generally speaking how open are the levels, in particular how free-roaming is the City Hub?

Stephane Roy: Thief is a story-driven game, so if you just want to know more about the story you will probably play the missions directly. That said after missions you start out back in your hideout which is based in a district hub, and there will be three playable districts in the City. The hub is much more than just buying things, going up ladders, or finding your mission, it’s a really open part of the City. You can go in certain buildings, find and play side quests or other jobs, and discover many things. In Madame Xiao Xiao’s office in the demo Garrett can find a special loot, and there are a number of these hidden around both the missions and the hub. For this part of the game you can see Garrett as sort of a collector, he’ll bring objects back to his hideout including these loots and other special objects. If there’s an empty slot then something is missing, so it’s up to the player if they want to find these special items which we’ve added for extra exploration value in the game.

Strategy Informer: Are there any special rewards for finding these special loots?

Stephane Roy: That’s a good question, and I wish I could give you a good answer at this time! It could give you something special... but they also help you to understand how deep the world is. You think that the game’s over, but you still have to find all these objects. They can help you to keep track of your progress.

Strategy Informer: It’s been said that Thief will have less magical or fantastical elements than the previous games, but can we expect some to creep in? Garrett’s eye is pretty mystical, but can we expect ghosts or steampunk robots?

Stephane Roy: So you want to see zombies and burricks then?

Strategy Informer: Yes!

Stephane Roy: [laughs] For this one we decided not to be too magical, instead we talked more about mystical. On our side it’s really important to see players connect with the games and the realistic believable aspect is important for this, but that said we are going to have some stuff that looks weird and is mystical. But we will not have zombies in this one.

Strategy Informer: There is a tradition in Thief to have at least one utterly terrifying level, such as ‘The Cradle’ in Deadly Shadows or ‘Return To The Cathedral’ in The Dark Project. Will there be a pure horror level like these?

Stephane Roy: [slight pause, presumably as Stephane considered how much to tell me] Like you said, it’s a tradition, and when we started to work on this project I guarantee that we did our homework to understand why people were in love with this franchise. I think we understand very well what makes a good Thief game. That’s the maximum I can tell you without Adam [Square’s PR man sitting in on the conversation] cutting me off, but I think if you read between the lines you can get your answer there... [Adam: “Alright, that’s enough!”, we laugh – I’m guessing that’s a big yes]

Strategy Informer: Can we expect any groups or characters from the original games to turn up, like the Hammers? I know it’s not a prequel or sequel, but I think I saw the sigil for the Keepers in the level...

Stephane Roy: That’s going to be a very good question for a little bit closer to release. As you said, it’s not a prequel or sequel, it’s really our interpretation of what makes a good Thief game. We want to give some homage to previous games, but if you compare this to what Christopher Nolan did with the Batman franchise – it’s still the same main character, still the same Bruce Wayne, but on the other hand it looks completely different to what’s gone before, different costume, and no Adam West! That’s the type of thing we’re aiming to go for.

Strategy Informer: Why did you decide not to go with Stephen Russell as Garrett again? I know fans will definitely ask this question.

Stephane Roy: Yeah, I’m afraid Mr Russell will not be playing Garrett this time. On one hand it’s exactly like I said about Christopher Nolan’s Batman and recasting, so it’s our interpretation of the Thief universe. We are really respectful of the games and we understand why Stephen made such a good Garrett, but we’ve had to make hard decisions and we felt that a new actor was needed to restart the franchise properly.

Strategy Informer: It’s interesting that in stealth games this year there seems to be a habit of replacing their main regular voice actor: Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid, now Thief!

Stephane Roy: You’re right, it’s a coincidence I guess! Can’t comment on why those others decided to do that, but on our side we felt it was a necessary decision. [There’s since been a blog post over on the Eidos Montreal Community page detailing why they decided to replace Stephen Russell, as well as introducing the new Garrett Romano Orzari].

Strategy Informer: I do admit that in the gameplay video I did quite like the new voice, he’s a bit snake-like, not quite honest!

Stephane Roy: Awesome!

Strategy Informer: Has it been hard moving development to the next generation of consoles?

Stephane Roy: We had to understand the next generation platforms, but it’s not so complicated. Generally on my side as producer I have to control the team, sometimes because we have more freedom we’re tempted to just make things bigger and bigger, I have to make sure that the team understand that what is really important is to keep the fun factor, the gameplay, the gaming experience. If you have more money you can buy more food but there’s a maximum amount your stomach can take, we don’t want to produce something big just because we can, if it doesn’t support the experience then there’s no point.

From a technical point of view though it’s more freedom for the artist to create or a programmer to build the AI for example, so for these it’s just great because of the sheer amount we can give the player, and create the game we have in mind rather than a compromised one. We do have to have some compromises of course, but the game you are going to receive should match the vision we had at the beginning. Probably not 100% since all ideas evolve during development, but we don’t have to worry about the technical limitations so much anymore.

Strategy Informer: Are you doing anything to make the PC version unique?

Stephane Roy: No doubt on our side the PC version is extremely important. Just playing Thief with a keyboard and mouse it’s different so we must make sure we support that well. For making the PC version we think like a PC gamer, for consoles it’s a different type of beast. It’s one of our goals to make sure that the PC version isn’t just a copy of the console version.

Strategy Informer: The game’s been in development for a while of course, are there any ideas that got considered and then dropped?

Stephane Roy: Working on Thief is a very cool challenge but it’s still a challenge, just because there is a lot of passion for this franchise and a lot of gamers have strong opinions on what they want from it. We had to be careful at the beginning, we had to understand what Thief is and what are its pillars of gameplay, stuff like that. That takes time. One of these pillars is the first-person point of view, but if you’re asking me if there were things we decided to drop I could show you a demo of a full third-person version of Thief. We gave it a try as there are a lot of games that work better and are more fun in third-person, so we wanted to see if it was possible to have Thief in full third-person. So we gave it a try but finally we decided that part of the series’ DNA is the first-person perspective, for the immersion and to convince the player that you are a Master Thief about to pickpocket someone.

For that the first-person is really important. But yeah, we did consider it. We decided at the beginning to make sure that it was okay to make some mistakes as it is just impossible to make everything right straight away, but instead just make sure those mistakes aren’t in the final game! But that’s all a big part of why the game has taken so long, because we wanted to try and test things before we revealed Thief to you.

Strategy Informer: The Thief series has a bit of a curse on it, as it’s managed to kill two respected developers over three games. Are you worried at all?

Stephane Roy: [laughs] Should I be? I hope not! If that happens I hope you can give me a job afterwards! I can’t really explain why this happened, but for sure this type of game is complex. There are not a lot of games on the market like Thief, honestly it’s very unique. You have to avoid conflict, you are a Master Thief, and the goal of the game is not to kill people just to steal. For a studio it’s a complex beast, it’s not an easy task to ship that type of game. So you need a studio that’s willing to invest and to be both passionate and patient. If you just want to have a quick success in one year it cannot work. There is a lot of balancing, you have to be careful and you have to take some risks. I think Square Enix is really a solid group, so that’s why I feel you should not have to wait another ten years before getting another Thief. I cross my fingers that this one will be a success, that players are going to enjoy it, and we can give you more games like it. This type of game is complex, I don’t want to suggest that other games are easy to make but I’ve done a lot of games in my life and this one is especially complex.

Strategy Informer: You mentioned avoiding conflict there, will “ghosting” through the levels and not letting anyone see you change the game at all compared to just running in or killing every guard?

Stephane Roy: It’s a really important point for us. It’s your game, you bought it, you should be able to play it like you want. If you are the type of player that wants to play like a ghost, please do so. It’s going to be harder of course, you will have to take every situation more slowly but if you have fun that way you can do it. That said we know that some players play games like more of a predator, they like to go in a room and hunt and kill everything before progressing, and of course you will be able to do that too. We want to support several different types of gameplay and these will be really systemic, they’re not scripted. If you play one way the game will challenge you more this way. This is really another part of the explanation to why the game is taking so long. We feel that if we don’t do it this way it won’t be a Thief game, it will just be a generic title with just the Thief name on the box. We have to support that type of gameplay.

Strategy Informer: So will the game “adapt” at all if you kill everyone or just knock them out?

Stephane Roy: There is no branching in the story whether you kill or don’t kill, but the game will support how you play. Basically it’s a game where you manage your resources. You’ll have a few arrows, a couple of tools, stuff like that. If you are more of a predator and you want to progress in this way we want to give you the tools to do that, and you will get access for example to different arrows that support that type of game. If you are more of a ghost we will support that too, you will get access to new tools to help you in this way. The game will follow how you want to play, and the AI will too. If you are really aggressive I guarantee the AI will be f***ing hard to deal with! If you are like a ghost, sticking to shadows and checking the AI’s patterns, when you see a guard wander into a dark corner if you take him down there no one will see him and you will be able to drag his body off. You can clear rooms without anybody seeing you but it takes time, you have to be really careful. It’s a balancing part of Thief but in the end of the day you are going to have fun. You will be able to play the game many times and not have the same experience twice.

Strategy Informer: Okay, most important question last: can we expect to hear the word “taffer” in the game?

Stephane Roy: Again that’s another one for the narrative director [Steven Gallagher]. I think he wants to bring it back but hasn’t worked out yet exactly how. I know that it’s part of the DNA of the franchise, and that you’re not the first one to ask this question! People are just in love with that word, and I’m surprised to see after all these years that it’s still in people’s minds! So no doubt we’re going to have it, but how exactly honestly keep your question in mind for a later date.

Strategy Informer: Thank you very much!

Stephane Roy: Thank you!

Thanks to Stephane for talking with us and to Square Enix for arranging this little get together. Our preview of Thief is now up, head over there for anything we haven’t covered here. We’ll be watching Thief very closely... you know, to make sure it doesn’t nick anything.
dinopoke

Unread postby movie » 31 May 2013 01:27

http://au.gamespot.com/news/new-thief-c ... bj=6408687

"The team at Eidos-Montreal is thrilled to confirm that Thief is coming to Xbox One. The next generation of home consoles allow us to create the best and the most immersive Thief game ever," Eidos Montreal general manager Stephane D'Astous said in a statement.
movie

Unread postby dinopoke » 05 Jun 2013 20:00

http://truepcgaming.com/2013/06/05/nixx ... f-pc-port/

Nixxes Developing New Thief PC Port

The team responsible for developing the PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Tomb Raider and Hitman Absolution have announced they will be handling the newest Thief title. According to a post made today on their official site, the folks at Nixxes will once again be working along side Eidos Montreal to ensure PC gamers have a high quality gaming experience.

“Nixxes is happy to be working again with the team from Eidos Montreal as well as AMD on this great franchise!”

While some of the aspects involving the series reboot have been under scrutiny, it is great to see an established company with a great track record holding the PC version in their capable hands. In addition, with AMD on board, PC gamers with Eyefinity setups can rest easy. We are looking forward to what Nixxes is able to present this time around.
dinopoke

Unread postby Bread » 07 Jun 2013 20:48

Garrett the Master Thief - E3 2013 Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwnHLHdxvqw
Bread

Unread postby Turnus » 29 Jun 2013 23:31

New screenshots:

ONLINE_061113_ss05.jpg

ONLINE_061113_ss04.jpg

ONLINE_061113_ss03.jpg

ONLINE_061113_ss02.jpg

ONLINE_061113_ss01.jpg

Community Video 2: Story and Narrative
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDLp9k9ebR8

E3 All Access Live - First Look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L67VurX81VI

Playstation E3 2013 Live Demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT-KeCUXyRM&t=2h58m

RPS: Eidos’ Words Vs My E3 Playthrough
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06 ... aythrough/

Nathan Grayson wrote:But there were also positives – glimmers of diamond choked by rough. At one point, I accidentally stumbled right up to a dog cage and had a whole area’s guards fanning out to find me in seconds. I huddled in a corner while an avalanche of footstep sounds pounded my ears. Were they coming from the left? Right? In front? Behind? …Beneath? And all the while, that damn dog wouldn’t stop barking, like a wailing emergency siren with much bigger teeth. It was actually kind of terrifying. My heart was pounding, and for just a moment, I forgot all about the plague of practically game-breaking problems I’d encountered mere minutes earlier.

It was those rare moments of NPC competence paired with Thief’s already excellent sound design that revealed potential for brilliance – however slight. That said, Eidos Montreal’s AI programmers still have a whole, whole lot of work ahead of them. Godspeed, ladies and gentlemen. Godspeed.
Turnus

Unread postby Some guy » 16 Aug 2013 04:10

Some guy

Unread postby ksevcov » 16 Aug 2013 17:27

http://gematsu.com/2013/08/thief-release-date-set

Eidos Montreal’s Thief reboot will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, and PC on February 25 in North America and February 28 in Europe and PAL territories, Square Enix has announced.

Gamescom 2013 trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r07rPeMI_A8
ksevcov

Unread postby movie » 01 Sep 2013 02:21

movie

Unread postby Tain » 24 Sep 2013 18:18

Some details on the PS4 version:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/09/ ... interview/

The DualShock 4 has several new features, including the light bar and touch pad. Have you put any preliminary thought into how the team will leverage these technologies?
Stephane Roy:
We want to take advantage of as many new, next-gen features as possible, and that includes the new DualShock controller.

For the DualShock 4, we use the light bar to reflect the light gem in the in-game UI, which indicates if Garrett is in the shadows or not. It creates a nice feeling when you play in the dark to see it illuminate or darken as you move through the environment. Additionally, the touch pad allows for better menu navigation and makes for a more intuitive way to perform various actions, like navigating the map or selecting weapons.

What impressed us were not only the new features of the DualShock 4, but how the existing ones have been improved. The best example of that is the motion control, which is way more precise than before. You can use it to adjust your aiming with the bow and the level of accuracy we get with it is really impressive.

The last thing is the Share button. We think it’s a great addition, especially for a game like Thief. We give a lot of freedom to the player, and we work really hard to create a systemic AI that will let the player find creative ways to play. Sharing those moments will showcase how they solved various situations — and we’re pretty sure that players will find ways that impress even us.
Tain

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Sep 2013 23:37

Sharing those moments will showcase how they solved various situations — and we’re pretty sure that players will find ways that impress even us.

Emergence! Thief 4 will have emergented geamlpay!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby shubn » 26 Sep 2013 20:12

Thief 4 - The Bank Heist Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77JpaRm--rY
shubn

Unread postby infernovia » 10 Oct 2013 01:56

infernovia

Unread postby Qpo » 04 Nov 2013 09:50

Stories from the City, Part 1: Basso's Gamble: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWtc1TAATRA
Qpo

Unread postby Heell » 13 Nov 2013 21:40

Thief 1.jpg

Thief 2.jpg

Thief 4.jpg

Thief 5.jpg

Thief 6.jpg

Thief 7.jpg

Thief 8.jpg

Thief 9.jpg

Thief 10.jpg

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/13/thief-s ... -lockdown/

Thief screenshots and concept art show the game’s first mission Lockdown

Thief screenshots and concept art taken from a mission at the beginning of the game called Lockdown have been released by Square Enix and Eidos-Montréal. Plus, if you are curious as to how DualShock 4 features have been implemented, there’s news on that as well.

According to the level’s description: “Baron Northcrest has enforced a ruthless lockdown on the population of the City to control the uprising and quell the spread of a mysterious sickness that spreads through the streets, gripping people’s minds with crippling nightmares and terrible voices in their heads. Nobody feels safe from the sickness that the people on the streets call ‘The Gloom’.”

Garrett must reach his hideout on the other side of the lockdown, however, during the process of getting there, he overhears that some valuable items have been placed in a nearby jewelry store. Therefore, he chooses to infiltrate the store on the way to his hideout.

Over on Game Informer, there’s a post regarding Eidos’ implementation of DualShock 4 features pertaining to the PS4 version of the game.

According to the post, the light bar serves to extend the user interface so that when the player is in the shadows, the controller will glow with a color determined by the console and profile. When the player steps Garrett out into the light, the bar on the controller will turn bright white.

There’s more to it than that, though, and you can head through the link to read up on touch-pad integration and more.
Heell

Next

Return to Games