default header

News

[PC] [MAC] [WIIU] The 90's Arcade Racer

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] [MAC] [WIIU] The 90's Arcade Racer

Unread postby Amor fati » 24 Dec 2013 21:15

90sarheader.jpg

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/896 ... cade-racer

Antonis Pelekanos wrote:This is an arcade racing game based on games that I loved playing in the arcades growing up. You could say it's inspired by those games, maybe a tribute to them or simply a rip off, any of these could be true!

The three that ate up most of my coins where Scud Race, Daytona USA and Indy 500, my goal is to recreate the feeling these games evoked from players by maintaining the colorful, vibrant look and sense of speed but with modern visuals and car handling models.

The Cars

There are three different car classes, Supercar, Stock and Formula. The first two will have a drifting handling model but different dynamics and the Formula car will be about high grip line racing.

The Tracks

The game will feature three tracks playable both in normal or reverse each with two unique routes. The tracks will be Short/Beginner, Medium/Amateur and Long/Professional. My goal here is for the tracks to be unique, memorable, fun to simply be in and a nice blend between reality and fantasy. All while keeping with the 90's theme.

Game Structure

The structure of the game is very simple, select your car and track and race both against the clock and AI trying to set the best score. There will also be a championship mode for each car class.

http://blog.nicalis.com/2013/10/90s-arc ... e-physics/

Tyrone Rodriguez wrote:At this point some of you may feel like we’ve been working on ‘90s Arcade Racer since the ‘90s. That’s not entirely true, while Antonis and I were indeed playing Scud Race (Super GT in the US) and Daytona USA some 20 years–that was just preparation for the game we’re developing now.

Here’s what’s been happening the last couple of months with ‘90s Arcade Racer.

Physics, physics and more physics!

In the 100+ hours I’ve spent on racetracks combined with the thousands of hours logged playing racing video games, there’s something that feels quite counterintuitive to the genre. You would think super realistic racing games would have super accurate and lifelike physics — but that doesn’t necessarily always make a better product. To really give the sensation of speed, gravity, lateral gravity, as a designer you end up removing many functions that make a vehicle simulation “real”, in the theoretical sense. A driving simulator, more often than not feels like a floaty, unresponsive boat. Part of that is because you can’t feel yourself slinking around a bucket seat, you don’t have the sensation of a vehicle’s weight shift between the four corners; there’s an entirely missing dimension in racing games.

Antonis and I are going for a fun and arcade racing feel, we’ve said that from the start. Those two descriptors are equally important to the project. Getting to the balance of an arcade feel while offering a challenging experience and still giving the car some complex real-world behaviors is where our own challenge begins.

Once you start playing a racing game, especially an arcade-style one, terminology like camber, caster, differentials, toe, torque and drivetrain are quickly forgotten. Initially I spent a lot of time trying to get an arcade feel out of a real vehicle simulation. After extensive experimentation what Antonis and I found was that it just wasn’t working.

In this case it’s much easier to build something from zero and create an experience that perfectly recreates the perception and expectation we all have of a typical arcade racer. Version 2.0 of ‘90s Arcade Racer physics is built within the expressed intention of creating a real arcade racing game. What that means is that the game is really feeling like should. The car reacts in a way that is indicative of an arcade racer, it moves and accelerates properly and now we have a really fun grip and drift mechanic within the game. Although it’s been challenging having to build physics from nothing, this has allowed us to really build the vehicles exactly how we want and how they should feel.

I’m pretty confident that we’re very much in the right direction with the physics and you’ll probably agree once you have an opportunity to play it. Antonis has been doing great work on creating the world of ‘90s Arcade Racer. More on that at a later time.

90sar1.jpg

90sar2.jpg

90sar3.jpg

90sar4.jpg

90sar5.jpg

90sar6.jpg

Kickstarter trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bywfy_hcq_s
Developer interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSJhEAiuv_c
Environments trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qieaaXHZALE

I hope it plays as well as it looks.
Amor fati

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Dec 2013 21:54

I'd love it if someone would have a go at explaining to me the appeal of Daytona USA. It's just a shitty boring racer where you go endlessly around in circles, much like the shitty American championship that inspired it. It's not even a decent game, much less a classic. Or what am I missing then?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Amor fati » 26 Dec 2013 19:35

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/t ... ?p=8239695

SPE wrote:I am originally from Lowestoft, a desolate shit pit of a town on the Suffolk coast. Famed for being the UK's most easterly point, home town of The Darkness and being a holiday resort for fat people on benefits. But as a kid growing up there, it was great. You had a beach, the Norfolk Broads and a ton of arcades. My love of video gaming was born at home with home computers, but really blossomed with access to so many arcade games dotted around the small town. My friends and I never really specifically went out to go the arcades, but would rarely pass up their charms when walking past them if out and about.

The two biggest arcades where on the seafront, at either end of the beach. The South Pier and Claremont Pier. These were the two arcades that would always get in the big games with fancy cabinets. Both were home to the various big Sega cabs - Afterburner, Space Harrier, Outrun and so on. I never really enjoyed them, viewing them more like theme park rides rather than the shmups and platformers than I normally played.

The shift to 3D games began when I started Uni. Edge launched and my mind was blown went I came back to Lowie on holiday from Uni and saw Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter for the first time. 4 player Virtua Racing became a mainstay of that break. To find the game wasn't just a technology demo, but played well was a revelation. This was put into sharp relief by having VR next to the woeful and eye-aching Virtuality crap-fest Dactyl Nightmare.

Fast forward a year or so and Model 2 hit the world, utterly astounding me. I must have spent hours just watching the attract sequence of VF2, but it was the shiny new version of Virtua Racing that really caught my eye. One of the piers briefly had two 4 player Daytona set ups, linked together. It was on this most glorious of beasts that my undying love of Daytona was born.

What isn't there to love about multiplayer Daytona with friends? The game gives you ample opportunity to grief. The meaty force feedback wheel shaking as you're nudging one of your fucking arsehole friends into the wall to see them crash and flip in spectacularly fashion (the tunnel entrance in Dinosaur Canyon being the perfect spot for this). The human player catch up meant that a crash or two wasn't the end of their game, and it wouldn't be long before they were fast approaching with revenge foremost on their mind. Being out in front and paying close attention of the radar to drive defensively - even getting more wall pushes when a friend is trying to overtake - was an art. There is the perfect mix of literally sitting in-between your friends, hurling abuse (and sometimes dead-leg punches), combined with the physicality of the awesome sit down cabs. Nothing that can be replicated when playing consoles at home.

And then there was the handling! Oh my. Super Mario Kart had already blessed my life and shown my how it was possible to a game to feel like it was an extension of you. Combined with the soon learned ability to power slide round corners like a boss, and the games became nothing short of exhilarating. I'm not sure how it started, but my friends and I all moved onto manual gears, learning the 4-1-4 and 4-2-3-4 shifts needed to motherfucking own the 777 Speedway and Dinosaur Canyon. It's weird that this was ever know, as it was before internet forums, FAQs and the like, and is hardly an intuitive way to drive. But learn it we did. For one glorious summer post uni, our local pub also had a single player, stand-up Daytona cab as its token arcade game. We used to take turns to do lap times on it, which is really where was all honed our manual drifting skills and showed that even in single player, the game was something very special indeed.

Fast forward a few years, and even now whenever I go back, I will always manage to pop into the seafront and squeeze in a few games of Daytona. Of al the arcades left, the last time I was back, there is only one 4 player set up left. The last time I was there, the gear stick didn't work on a couple of the seats and all the monitors had screen burn. But the old fella still has it where it counts.

Still to this day, nothing in gaming - and I really mean nothing - comes close to the thrill of nailing a manual drift around the Sonic wall turn to win a multiplayer race. So here's to Daytona USA. The greatest arcade game ever made.

I love you, man.

SPE.

x x x
Amor fati

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Dec 2013 19:52

I thought so. Nostalgia and his inexperience with other multiplayer games. There are about three sentences of game criticism in there. Which is about the number of brain cells in his skull. How perfectly game tastes correlate with intelligence!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Amor fati » 03 Feb 2014 22:07

http://blog.nicalis.com/2014/02/update- ... and-wii-u/

Antonis and Tyrone here!

As you probably know, part of working together brought along the opportunity develop and publish ’90s Arcade Racer for Wii U (among other places). The development is moving along well and for this update we’ll share some details related to the Wii U version of the game and our plans.

Fortunately, moving the game from PC/windows environment to Wii U has been a straight forward process since the project is being built on top of Unity and the team porting Unity to Wii U have obviously been doing a great job; that alone has made our part of getting running on Wii U much easier than expected. Of course, the process hasn’t been without it’s fair share of challenges.

Without getting into minutia that we’re probably not allowed to share in great detail, some things that worked on PC couldn’t be ported exactly Wii U without having affecting how the game performs on the Nintendo console–and probably other consoles, too. However, we’re very happy with the results. Fidelity, image quality and a smooth framerate are our priorities. Detractors note, Wii U is proving very capable of running the game at 60fps at 720p with 4xMSAA and FXAA resulting in a crystal clear image. It’s simply beautiful.

On the programming side these past few weeks our lead programmer has been busy working on the AI and creating the type of competition we’ve discussed in the past–focusing on a fun arcade experience. Our goal is to be able to race against 30 cars in each race. If we hit that number we’ll be quite happy

Many of you have emailed us asking for a release date, unfortunately it’s hard to give you a solid date but mid 2014 is our goal for now.

Thank you for being patient and even more thanks for all the support and interest in the project. It’s kept us going and we love hearing from all of you!

Wii_U_90AR.png

WiiU_1.png

WiiU_2.jpg
Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 30 Sep 2014 17:31

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/89 ... sts/992614

Hello everyone,

we've received a few complaints from backers so for this update I would like to let people know exactly at what stage the game is right now.

The game's art, design and audio is pretty much complete and only in need of some polish which means we are behind when it comes to code, we had some trouble mainly with the AI and we had to scrap a lot of code and start fresh. Unfortunately for a small team like us that means a few months of work and a delayed release date.

Because of the advanced stage of the game's art and design during the summer I took on some contract work which ended last week, this is part of the reason why it's been so long since my last update and i apologise for that.

So braking things down here is where the projects stands now:

-The art and design is complete, all the tracks, frontend menus and items are in game.

-The audio is about 80% done, everything is in game and working but in need of some polish.

-The AI as mentioned above has given us a lot of problems, we decided to scrap the work done so far and start from scratch with a new programmer.

-Physics and car handling has been the most challenging part and we will continue to tweak and refine it until the game's release.

Considering how things have turned out for us it would be unwise to give another release date, but we will as soon as we are confident.

Thank you!

Antonis

90s30.png

90s33.png

90s35.png

90s31.png

90s34.png

Sounds like it will now be a 2015 release.
Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 23 Jan 2015 23:20

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/89 ... ts/1114288

Hello everyone,

it's been a long time coming so here is the first gameplay video of our game.

It's not as complete as we would've liked it to be but since a lot of people have been asking us to show some gameplay this will have to do for now.

We had to leave out elements that still need some work like the AI and GUI but hopefully we can include them in our next video.

Once again, thank you for your patience and support!

Antonis

Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3PlyYWhhZE

Looks quite good apart from the tracks being for the most part too wide.
Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 13 May 2015 23:55

New Wii U footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpjHlBvTCck

Looking good.
Amor fati

Return to News