default header

News

[PC] Regalia - Of Men And Monarchs

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] Regalia - Of Men And Monarchs

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Jun 2015 02:26

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1057444

Fou-Lu wrote:Regalia - Of Men and Monarchs - Tactical JRPG Kickstarter $40,000 Goal

hUXFaVv.jpg

Kickstarter link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... d-monarchs

I didn't see a thread for this and I think the game looks very interesting. It's by a new team in Poland who promise to be as transparent as possible. They have big plans for the budget, but they also have quite a bit to show already. As you can see above the art looks beautiful too!

The battle system is isometric and tactical:

iwrdtON.png

QtaDbbH.gif

And they play to include things like Social Links from Persona, light 4x elements (town building, diplomacy, etc). I think the team and the game deserve a look. They've already posted a huge update about the battle system, and the rest of the kickstarter has way more info than I could ever fit in an OP, so check it out! (At least one of the team members seems to be a gaffer too, if that matters to you!)

Update:

Since some people are complaining about the small and flat battle screens, here is a post from one of the devs that should put you at ease:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... t166527179

barjed wrote:Hello people!

I am Bartosz, the dude behind Regalia. I am glad some of you enjoy our project, we worked our butts off to make it real.

Why the tiny, feature-less maps? :( It makes for less fun and strategic battles, and that's kind of a big issue in a SRPG.

This is a common complaint against Regalia and in hindsight I think I agree. Yesterday we posted a large Update detailing the combat system, where we also tried to address this:

OKNA3kP.jpg

iKVqNvs.jpg

It's just a quick proof of concept (worked through the night to get it done), but we will try to go more into this direction with all the other maps and also update every background we already have. We also started working on a larger map, with a more interesting layout - think corridors, choke points. I think you guys are going to like it! Skills manipulate the grid too - you can spawn walls, both traversable and impassable, toss people around, etc. It's not FFT, sure, but I believe there are plenty of interesting tactical decision to make in our battles.

While our combat is on the simpler side, we also get a lot of the other fun stuff, social links and town building included :)

I'll be glad to answer your questions, if you have any.

Typical "indie" mindset. He puts a game on Kickstarter. Some dudes on NeoGAF tell him his game sucks because the maps are tiny and empty. Hilariously, he replies "in hindsight, I think I agree". In hindsight lol. He "thinks" he agrees that tiny and empty maps in SRPGs are a retarded idea. So he works through the night to throw some trees in and thinks he's solved the problem. He defends this shoddy remedy by saying that his game "is not FFT" (i.e. he thinks there's tactics in Final Fantasy Tactics), effectively saying that he's not aiming as high as a two-star game. But he "worked his butt off" to make this uninspired and generic game, so he feels proud about it, and looks forward to all the money that players with shit taste will throw at him on KS and Steam.

The "indie" spirit, ladies and gentlemen. The "indie" spirit indeed. Which is to say the spirit of no talent, competence or so much as the slightest interest in games and their various genres. The spirit of greed for money and fame pure and simple.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to News