default header

Theory

The Social Fagotries

Moderator: JC Denton

The Social Fagotries

Unread postby icycalm » 19 May 2013 22:05

These contain the minorities fagotries, and there's an article about that. But we can use this thread as a catch-all thread for these "issues" until the article is published. Which brings me to this extremely astute observation by our very own shubn:

Shub Niggurath wrote:Why isn't there a single-player WW2 shooter where you can play as the good guys?

https://twitter.com/shubn/status/335873047590490113
Last edited by icycalm on 15 Nov 2014 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 14 Dec 2013 22:29

http://www.caltrops.com/2013/11/22/everyone-is-four/

The Warezwolf and Don Rogers wrote:EVERYONE IS FOUR

Let me preface this (waves hands) ALL of this by saying that RPS has directed me to more games I like than any other site. They are doing a real service to independent games. The last game that the two of us both loved, after some rushed consultation (Don has one finger on the “dump caller” button even when it is instant messaging) was Air/Sea Battle for the Atari. It’s hard for us to find common ground, but RPS manages to find a way.

However, Rock Paper Shotgun has been on a social justice kick recently. Of course, we’re not supposed to call it a “kick,” because that implies that social justice isn’t the cause du jour meant to bully other people into being ashamed and thinking exactly how you think. How could you be against sexism, racism and bullying??? Social justice is a Livestrong bracelet, but the ICU hasn’t turned on Lance yet.

Social justice has never and will never change anything. Most people are trying to get through to JOOOOOCKS through the comfort of their bedrooms, so you have to unironically credit Nathan Grayson of RPS for trying to confront game developers directly — since he left his house to do it. In a world where straight white cis males are a vicious line of tanks, Nathan Grayson is the Chinese guy who stood in front of them.

Here’s his interview with the guys making something called Heroes of the Storm. Since it is an “x of the y” title, I hate it and hope that everyone involved becomes homeless, and not the cool kind of homeless where you have a great Movember beard and could get laid by other street trash if it were cold enough.

As time is winding down, Nathan tries to cram in a few questions about how the girls in the game look like hookers or something. Dustin Browder, also known as the guy who designed Starcraft II, the best e-sport game ever made, does not wish to ENGAGE. He also does not want to be rude, but there really is nothing to be gained by engaging Nathan here. Zero.

RPS: You have some interesting alternate outfits for heroes. Roller Derby Nova, especially, caught my eye. On its own, that’s totally fine – just a silly, goofy thing. A one-off. But it got me thinking about how often MOBAs tend to hyper-sexualize female characters to a generally preposterous degree – that is to say, make it the norm, not a one-off at all – and StarCraft’s own, um, interesting focus choices as of late. How are you planning to approach all of that in Heroes?

Browder: Well, I mean, some of these characters, I would argue, are already hyper-sexualized in a sense. I mean, Kerrigan is wearing heels, right? We’re not sending a message to anybody. We’re just making characters who look cool. Our sensibilities are more comic book than anything else. That’s sort of where we’re at. But I’ll take the feedback. I think it’s very fair feedback.

RPS: I have to add, though, that comics might not be the best point of reference for this sort of thing. I mean, it’s a medium that’s notorious – often in a not-good way – for sexing up female characters and putting them in some fairly gross situations.

Browder: We’re not running for President. We’re not sending a message. No one should look to our game for that.

RPS: But it’s not even about a message. The goal is to let people have fun in an environment where they can feel awesome without being weirded out or even objectified. This is a genre about empowerment. Why shouldn’t everyone feel empowered? That’s what it’s about at the end of the day: letting everyone have a fair chance to feel awesome.

Browder: Uh-huh. Cool. Totally.

[PR says we've run over, tells me I have to leave]

RPS: Thank you for your time.

First off, I imagine the PR person wheeling Nathan’s chair backwards while all this is going on, trying to fake-laugh over Nathan tediously talking about these extremely important women’s rights issues. In his head: “I HAVE A DREAM!” Out his mouth: “Umm okay b— okay.” If you want to read all of his staircase wit, it’s here.

Secondly, I love that Dustin blew him off with a “Cool story, bro.” Because that is the sort of reply you should expect when you start quoting memes, telling people the flavor of drink you want is Hitler Did Nothing Wrong or attempting to go full tumblr on a guy with an office job.

Chicks in tight pants in games doesn’t make the player sexist any more than shooting people in games makes the player a murderer. None of it matters and nobody’s opinion will ever change. There’s the jackasses, who, BEFORE THIS CHICKS IN PANTS THINGS BECAME THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER, the most important thing ever was shouting at the rooftops that GAMES DON’T FUCK YOU UP. They are now suddenly crying out, “NOT THE SAME THING!! This really DOES fuck you up!!”

I’m sorry that 90% of the chicks at conventions come dressed as Cammy from Street Fighter. I’m sorry that the rest come naked, except for whatever sticks to their skin on the cab ride over. Nerds are disgusting animals around girls and our solution is to stop having game conventions, where half of this shit arises from. Nobody will do that because of money. Nobody will stop putting their female characters in bikinis because they make more money when they’re dressed that way.

A games site trying to change how people think is adorable, but trying to change the way money is made is futile. That said, I think RPS ought to continue to have these interviews, but at least have the balls to start with these questions. I want their first probes into a new ware to be about how exploited women are because the girl from “Beyond Good & Evil 2″ might be wearing lip gloss, the discount aluminum siding of the patriarchy. Lead with this shit, if that’s what you want your site to be about. Just make this what the site is about, since that is what the site is about. You’re not going to change how a single person thinks, but if you really think you can then go for it.

(Polygon gives this article an 8/10.)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Jun 2014 19:17

http://forums.selectbutton.net/viewtopi ... 20#1251220

CubaLibre wrote:
diplo wrote:tbh I'm more interested in why BINF is being treated as a creative miracle rather than how dumb the game is. Of course the game's dumbness would be a part of that autopsy, but -- I don't know. Is it really as simple as people just not reading books? Are we dealing with an audience that feels a zero-gravity thrill of "oh shit here comes the profundity" when they see the word Society written down or spoken aloud? Is this game somehow satisfying all the things on an invisible "How to be an Art: For Gamers" checklist? Is this the same thing as Heavy Rain being genius because fathers and their children are "topical"? Like I read that IGN review and it meant literally not a single thing to me.

The human beings that actually buy and play these games are still a small subset of human beings. They are exactly the same people that think The Walking Dead is a profound drama and that X-Men is a legitimate dramatization of the Martin Luther King Jr. vs. Malcolm X debates on racial justice. You know. Nerds. People are linking here fawning articles in fora of mainstream authority like the New York Times and Forbes, but it's not like the guys those places hired to write those articles aren't in that same nerd demographic. You think the EIC of the New York Times gives a shit what his videogame columnist writes? As long as it's grammatically correct he'll print it. Those articles exist because the videogame industry now makes x billion dollars a year which makes it worth my while to put it in my newspaper. They all have that same desperate plea for legitimacy that they've always had.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 20 Jul 2014 04:45

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakota_Fanning

During the summer of 2006, Fanning worked on the film Hounddog, described in press reports as a "dark story of abuse, violence and Elvis Presley adulation in the rural South."[20] Fanning's parents have been criticized for allowing her to film a scene in which her character is raped. However, Fanning defended the film by saying "It's not really happening," to Reuters. "It's a movie, and it's called acting."
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Sep 2014 02:50

WdraGnT.jpg
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Oct 2014 23:44

http://betatopua.wordpress.com/2014/10/ ... they-came/

Beta To PUA wrote:First They Came...

First they came for the academics, and I did not speak out – because I was not an academic.

Then they came for the politicians, and I did not speak out – because I was not a politician.

Then they came for the office workers, and I did not speak out – because I was not an office worker.

Then they came for the gamers, and surprisingly that turned out to be a big fucking mistake.

Who would have thought that, out of all of society it would be die hard computer game nerds who drew a line in the sand against the feminists. Thinking about it though it makes sense. One of feminism’s main compliance tactics is the use of shaming. Shaming will only give you leverage if your opponent has something to lose by being shamed. That something is social position. When you’re a bit of an outcast, detached from society, you don’t have much of a position to lose. This is why the mainstream leftist media’s battle cry of, “You’re all misogynists!”, didn’t work on the gamers.

This is one of the few good PUAs, by the way. Not very experienced, but well-meaning, and with no discernible ressentiment.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 15 Nov 2014 19:07

From the same article lol:

http://betatopua.wordpress.com/2014/10/ ... mment-1006

Mr Zero Man wrote:Also it’s all happening online. It’s like a multi-player strategy game. They’re in their element, learning the rules, trying to beat the game, that’s what they do, they’re gamers.

True enough lol. I never though of it this way.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Nov 2014 01:13

http://culture.vg/features/commentary/w ... ex-change/

lobote wrote:It is a collection of symbols and feelings more real than reality, so much so when niggers chimp out all you see is Martin Luther King and equality.

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean, but I don't care: it sounds hilarious.

I especially like how the article ends. lobote is much like Mikey used to be in his comedy days, before he decided to get into "long-form criticism" lol.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby lobote » 19 Nov 2014 05:40

Yeah I basically just ripped the sentence structure off Strangers with Candy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ys4oIwj6yw

Hi. This is Wilford Brimley. Welcome to Retardation: A Celebration. Now, hopefully with this book, I'm gonna dispel a few myths, a few rumors. First off, the retarded don't rule the night. They don't rule it. Nobody does. And they don't run in packs. And while they may not be as strong as apes, don't lock eyes with 'em, don't do it. Puts 'em on edge. They might go into berzerker mode; come at you like a whirling dervish, all fists and elbows. You might be screaming "No, no, no" and all they hear is "Who wants cake?" Let me tell you something: They all do. They all want cake.
lobote

Unread postby Texas » 22 Nov 2014 05:01

combat_that_is_very_deadly.jpg
Texas

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Nov 2014 05:08

Hilarious. Whoever made it is a genius.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Nov 2014 01:30

After over 30 years of Nintendo History, theres only four black characters in Smash
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=939097

1391717_700907573276895_5749149_n.jpg
1391717_700907573276895_5749149_n.jpg (44.83 KiB) Viewed 21981 times
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Dec 2014 23:40

B4RmBRbIAAEtkD5.jpg_large.jpg

It's funny how, past a certain point, no more discussion is possible and all you can do is post funny memes.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 14 Dec 2014 19:22

The Newest Battleground Against SJW’s Is #MetalGate
http://www.reaxxion.com/3068/the-newest ... -metalgate

Sam Roberts wrote:Many people seem to think that SJWs are unlikely to make any headway with metal. The idea of teaching political correctness to people who listen to songs like Manowar’s “Hail and Kill” (Sample lyrics: “May your swords be wet – like a young girl in her prime.”) or Detroit Metal City’s “Rape that Girl” (Sample lyrics: “Rape Rape Rape Rape Rape”) is darkly hilarious. But I don’t think it’s safe to write them off so easily; you could’ve said the exact same thing about gamers. Gamers play games about running down prostitutes and games about girls with giant boobs playing volleyball, after all. And yet look at the mess we’re in now.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Theory