default header

Theory

Playing Team-based Games With Strangers

Moderator: JC Denton

Playing Team-based Games With Strangers

Unread postby icycalm » 02 May 2015 23:11

http://www.learntocounter.com/forums/in ... 3#msg81483

Shoggy wrote:I haven't played much LoL or anything but that has not been experience. People will get salty and sit in the safe zone and talk shit and those people usually are the ones doing stupid things that is of course is the rest of teams fault. Yesterday I was playing a game on the bone golem map and a guy playing Anub was talking shit most of the game because we were not helping him and a guy playing the goblin character push while the mines where open. He then got mad that we didn't stay in the mine and fight when we where all on the verge of death because the other team hammered us because you know 3v5. Then he started coming in at the end of the fights in the mind when we are all on the verge of death and fleeing and got even angrier that we didn't stay in the mines and fight because he needed support. Eventually he said he was going to get us all banned because he was going to report us for trolling. Of course the only person shit talking was him, I tried to explain to him the importance of objectives and that he didn't go into the mines with us and help us, so that threat was funny. There was some salty twat like this in nearly every game that day. One game started off with a shit talking Illidan and witch doctor who got started harassing the rest of the team because Illidan couldn't solo the game and of course his witch doctor buddy wasn't supporting him either. I was tired of idiots at the point so I just quite the game.

And yet I would venture to assert that he is far stupider than the guy he's making fun of. The guy he's making fun of is simply a bad player (which could very well be because he's a new player...), but the stupidity of the person complaining knows no bounds. He seriously expects to play a team-based game with strangers and enjoy good co-operation! And from the very first time, no less! (since he's too dumb and/or socially incompetent to take the contact details of the players and try playing with them again). But teams of strangers do not co-operate well. They never have and never will, regardless of the experience or the intelligence level of the members. And yet he goes back to the game, and to many other such games, every day expecting this to somehow magically change, and a cool team to materialize and assemble out of nothing and with no effort every time.

Slobbering fucking retard with the social skills of a leper and an absurdly laughable superiority complex. Like everyone on that shitty stupid site.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 02 May 2015 23:21

It blows my mind that I even have to make a thread about this. Even the Insomnia people play CS:GO with strangers all the time. And I mean ALL the time. Out of the dozens of our members who play that game, I have not seen even ONE who plays it with a full team of friends. The only time this happened was when I played, and put a team together. But at least they are not complaining that they suck at the game, like the LTC retards (since that is what the LTC retard is complaining about above, even if he doesn't understand it: that he sucks at the game since his team of randoms sucks at the game. Putting together a good team is part of the GEAMPLAY of team-based games, and if you fail at that because you are too inbred to communicate with people and set up a decent team, you have failed at the game, end of story).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 02 May 2015 23:38

It's also worth noting that the capacity for team cooperation in a MOBA like LoL is far greater than that in an FPS like CS:GO, while in an RTS like PA it's absurdly greater than both of them. So if you absolutely MUST play with strangers, at least play a game like CS:GO. If you play LoL with strangers you are stupid, and if you play PA you are positively clinically retarded.

And at the other end of the scale you have, say, Double Dragon or something. But even there you can benefit by playing more than once with the same person, and thus learning how to coordinate stuff a little bit.

It just blows my mind that it takes nothing less than a genius to come in and explain this simple stuff to people. Most depressingly, none of the people reading this will change anything about their playing habits after doing so. Almost every single person who reads this will still be playing team-based games with strangers tomorrow, and for the rest of their lives, for the very same reason almost that they are reading this: because they are retarded losers with the social skills of lepers who recoil in horror at the mere approach of other human beings, even over such a rarefied medium as the internet, where no one can smell, and be disgusted by, their stench.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 02 May 2015 23:46

Also, PlanetSide > LoL > CS:GO. So it's not as simple as RTS > MOBA > FPS, it's more complicated than that. And it makes a difference if your PlanetSide team has 3 or 100 members. A huge difference.

One of the funniest things I've seen online is people trying to play PlanetSide alone (unless they are consciously going for the Rambo play, which none of the thousands of retards who play alone and then quit and badmouth the game are, not only because it's difficult, but also because they don't even realize that it's possible).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 03 May 2015 14:19

Let's put this another way. Let's consider this from the perspective of the bad player whom that LTC troglodyte was hating above.

The LTC troglodyte lays the blame for the bad session squarely on the shoulders of the bad player. But was it really the bad player's fault?

Doesn't the bad player have a right to play the game?

Didn't he pay for it like everyone else? (Or didn't he download and install it like everyone else, if we are talking about a freemium game?)

And if the bad player has a right to play the game, doesn't he also have the right to use whatever matchmaking function the game offers?

So whose fault is it that the LTC troglodyte did not enjoy himself? Didn't the LTC troglodyte choose to use the matchmaking function to play the game? And isn't it a given that whoever uses a matchmaking function to create a team in a team-based game is a retard, since it is obvious that A TEAM THAT CONTAINS STRANGERS IN IT ISN'T A TEAM AT ALL?

I have never in my entire life used a matchmaking service to create a team for a team-based game. Not once. Because I am not retarded, and I know what a team is.

No one has a right to complain about bad teamplay if they use matchmaking services to create their "teams". Those people have lost the game before it has even begun. Properly speaking, they are not even playing the game at all, since CREATING A TEAM IS PART OF THE MECHANICS OF TEAM-BASED GAMES.

In Planetary Annihilation, I went even further. Not only did I not use a matchmaking service to create my team, but past a certain point I didn't even use it to find opponents. After we started beating 70%+ of our opponents in the MP lobby (and on some days we were even getting up to 100%...), it was no fun playing against randomly thrown together "teams" anymore, and the only way to play a fun game was to find a REAL team, like ourselves, and arrange a specific date and time to play against them.

The problem at the bottom of all this is that the kind of brain-in-vat troglodyte that uses matchmaking tools to play team-based games is physically incapable of parsing the concept "team". They really do believe that a group of strangers is a team -- they are not lying or anything. They really do believe it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Theory