Death Smiles

Games

[AC] [360] Death Smiles

Moderator: JC Denton

[AC] [360] Death Smiles

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Aug 2007 12:49

In the space of four months this game's title went from cool, to lol, to no god please no please. First it was to be called "Tenshi no Juusha" (which translates to something like "Guardian Angel"), then Death Lolita, and now it's Death Smiles.

Speculation is running rampant that it will be a hori, or a Guwange-style vert, or that it will be high-res on new hardware, or that it will cure cancer. The only thing that's certain is that it will mark the return of Joker Jun (Batsugun, Esprade), which is awesome news if you are a fan, which I am not exactly, but I do respect his stuff so whatever.

Not much longer now before all is known -- the game will be playable at the AM Show in September:

http://cave-gameshow.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/
Last edited by icycalm on 28 Jan 2009 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby stratos_999 » 28 Aug 2007 13:36

It seems that not only Jun but also Manabu Namiki has returned after Mushi, and the game has been programmed by a team led by Ikeda: I think it's going to be a great game, such as all the games produced by this popular trio.

I can't wait, but I already know that this game will be hi priced so I'll have to wait decades to afford it at a decent price.

However, if you see, both characters have the owl familiar: it's normal that people think it will be a sort of Guwange, in which the owl work like the shiki in Guwange. Or at least I expect they are used like option or something like that.
I don't like music.
stratos_999

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Aug 2007 15:17

From the new Arcadia:

(Source: Kobayan)

So it is indeed a hori.

Even though I was half-expecting it, I can't possibly imagine being more surprised! Ikeda has said that they tried going the hori-danmaku route with Progear and it didn't work out. Seems he changed his mind, or else this is not a danmaku (not many bullets in those screenshote). Or he may not even be directing this game -- Arcadia is interviewing Joker Jun, and as far as I can tell there is no mention of Ikeda's name in that preview.

What's more surprising is that the characters in all the screens are facing left, and some of the enemies as well!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby stratos_999 » 28 Aug 2007 15:43

Yes, checked also on the other forums: I have to say that I like the style.

What's more surprising is that the characters in all the screens are facing left, and some of the enemies as well.

Definitley, I don't know what to say but I'm definitley not against revolutions, so I'm waiting to see some images in motion :)
I don't like music.
stratos_999

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Aug 2007 01:03

According to GaijinPunch, the caption on that last screenshot says that this is not a forced-scrolling game (!) -- the player moves the field.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Sep 2007 02:45

GP has posted a translation of Arcadia's interview with Joker Jun, who seems to be responsible for a whole lot more than the artwork this time round:

http://www.gamengai.com/bn_inf.php?type ... d=1617&l=e
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby CosMind » 15 Sep 2007 02:59

CosMind

Unread postby Kaede » 15 Sep 2007 15:00

So it IS a forced scrolling game then?

Looks incredible... such a shame it will be years before I play it. :(
Kaede

Unread postby CosMind » 27 Oct 2007 02:52

So, death was supposedly to begin smiling on October 19.

Did it land? If so, anyone got a chance on the stick?

I gotta know the outcome on this puppy.
CosMind

Unread postby AlphaONE » 30 Oct 2007 08:14

Looks good. Pretty sure this will go for way to much!!! :(
AlphaONE

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Jan 2008 23:34

I've uploaded an ALL replay here:

Windia_Rank3_ALL.wmv (463 MB)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby CosMind » 05 Jan 2008 04:47

My hero! Thanks so much.

I've gotta find some way to get my mitts on the stick with this. Perhaps old cave will drop a PS2 ver. Is this vid your personal play?
CosMind

Unread postby MAXCHAIN » 05 Jan 2008 05:19

Sorry, but there is no way in hell the PS2 could handle this much graphic data. Not only that, but no one is willing to port cave games anymore, and cave themselves probably aren't too interested, either.
MAXCHAIN

Unread postby Macaw » 05 Jan 2008 05:30

Well, being a horizontal game theres at least more chance of this being ported than any of their verticals.
Macaw

Unread postby MAXCHAIN » 05 Jan 2008 07:45

That's true, but there aren't any systems that could display it correctly. The newer systems can't display low res, and the PS2 didn't even have enough ram for Ketsui. According to one of the interviews on gamengai Deathsmiles has twice as much visual data as Mushi Futari!
MAXCHAIN

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Jan 2008 12:35

CosMind wrote:is this vid your personal play?

Nope, I grabbed it off some Japanese torrent tracker.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Phalanx » 14 Jan 2008 00:47

Has their been any word on whether or not this will receive a PS2 port?
Phalanx

Unread postby icycalm » 14 Jan 2008 00:56

Nope. And don't worry, if a port is announced the whole site will be painted in Deathsmiles colors to celebrate, so there's no way you'll miss it.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. Nice avatar you picked there. I wish more people would pick nice avatars.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Phalanx » 14 Jan 2008 01:00

Thanks. I came by way of Shoryuken (my handle is "Shade" there). Glad to be here. And lol good to see the DeathSmiles love. Looks to be a great game. Shame I can't play it until it does indeed receive a port.
Phalanx

Unread postby ashn0d » 27 Aug 2008 23:04

From Siliconera:

So long PlayStation 2, Cave’s new home is the Xbox 360. Deathsmiles is the latest in a trio of Cave games to get Xbox 360 ports. A magazine scan from Famitsu confirms Deathsmiles will get released in Japan this spring, but the scan does not say if it’s going to be a retail game or a downloadable Xbox 360 title. 5pb, the company publishing Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi X and DoDonPachi Daioujou Black Label X as boxed Xbox 360 games is not mentioned as the publisher. Cave is taking care of Deathsmiles. Recently, Cave published Princess Debut, which they also developed, but they usually team up with another publisher like Arika for retail titles. It’s somewhat strange to see Cave not work with 5pb, but if this is a region free Xbox Live Arcade game they don’t need to work with them. Wishful thinking, I know.

New features for the home version include an online ranking system, replay sharing, and Xbox Live co-op play for two. Old features from the arcade version are Gothic Lolita costumes, a skull powered lock-on system, and enemies approaching from both sides of the screen.
ashn0d

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Aug 2008 00:23

Hey man, I removed your link to Siliconera because I hate that site (terrible commentary, doesn't link sources, doesn't play games and therefore doesn't understand them: all he cares about is hits).

You are Spanish, right? I'd suggest Postback instead:

http://postback.geedorah.com/foros/viewtopic.php?id=395

Best choice for a port they could make, really. It's a hori, so it won't be THAT ridiculous on the (more or less) widescreen-only 360, and it's very flashy and pretty and easy. With any luck there'll be more Cave ports on the way, though it seems it's going to take a while, since this isn't due out until next year.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ashn0d » 28 Aug 2008 14:30

No problem about the link removal.

About Postback, I know that forum, the problem is that I feel a bit overwhelmed by the knowledge of those guys, especially Recap that seems to have a videogame encyclopedia for a head. But I read it from time to time.
ashn0d

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Aug 2008 16:23

Well, I didn't suggest you contribute to Postback -- just read it, like you read Siliconera. Better to read someone who has a videogame encyclopedia for a head than someone who has shit for a head, no?

The only drawback to Postback is that Recap only covers games he cares about, so you don't get as wide coverage as you get on Siliconera, where they don't care about anything so they cover everything.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 30 Aug 2008 10:36

Leaked flyer reveals Death Smiles Mega Black Label for the AM Show. Predictable, on the other hand:

http://blog.am-net.jp/article/18578583.html

Scoop material. Hope it's not too overwhelming!
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Aug 2008 11:58

"Mega" Black Label, lol. I wonder what they'll call the Daifukkatsu one.

Man, I have a hate/love relationship with these things. On the one hand they really are great, fun new modes to play, on the other I have to spend a fortune to get them -- just as much if not more as for a brand new title, which really is a pretty bad deal.

I wonder whether they'll add it to the 360 port. Probably not.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Next

Return to Games