Moderator: JC Denton

In postback form

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Mar 2008 07:24

icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby JoshF » 26 May 2008 12:29

JoshF

Unread postby icycalm » 26 May 2008 16:32

I tried reading the babelfished editorial. Interesting, but nowhere near as enjoyable to read as the one that Spanish guy translated for us. And you are never quite sure if you understood what the other person was trying to tell you in the first place. What a difference a proper translation makes!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby JoshF » 26 May 2008 22:25

I guess Specineff gave up then?

I have to say editorials were especially good even through a translator. Most of the time it seems the confusion comes from a simple misreading of particles or treating Japanese as part of the translation.
JoshF

Unread postby icycalm » 28 May 2008 14:23

JoshF wrote:I guess Specineff gave up then?

Specineff is still supposedly working on the rather big "arcade sticks" article, and he has already translated the other one I showed you which I still need to post. Then the first translator has also translated Recap's very first editorial, which I also need to post. The main reason I am not pushing them to tranlate any more stuff is because I am backed up with like a dozen articles already, so there's no point.

At the end of the day I could always post a little notice on the frontpage that we need someone to help out with Spanish translations, and I bet at least a couple of people would volunteer.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ashn0d » 01 Jun 2008 11:58

icycalm, if you want I can translate some Spanish stuff, I have a fairly good knowledge of Portuguese, Spanish and English.

But not until July, because I have finals all June.
ashn0d

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Jan 2009 09:29

The site has been down for a couple of days now...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby JoshF » 18 Jan 2009 09:31

It's getting a new host.
JoshF

Unread postby Recap » 19 Jan 2009 17:03

Thanks for the worries. It's uncertain whether if it'll be back anytime soon, I'm afraid. The site it depended on doesn't exist anymore.
Or if they didn't want players to credit feed, since basic design choices all point to COIN OP.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Jan 2009 23:54

I have loads of webspace and bandwidth. Why don't you use mine? The only problem is the domain name. Do you still have access to it? If not, you could register a new one, or I could give you a subdomain on Insomnia...

Think about it. It's shame for all that stuff to be offline... And you were preparing a new issue, weren't you? What happened with geedorah anyway?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 20 Jan 2009 03:54

Geedorah ended. I have to wait a couple of weeks to see what happens with the domain name since its owner wants to keep it and find a place for the old content. If there's no place for Postback there, I'll send you a line.
Or if they didn't want players to credit feed, since basic design choices all point to COIN OP.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 20 Jan 2009 23:56

Yeah, do that. I think the best case scenario would be for Geedorah to stay offline, but for you to somehow get control of the domain name. Because it really sucks having to depend on someone else for the domain name. Hosting is never a problem, but a website gets really fucked over if forced to change domain names. Hell, a ton of links in THIS forum no longer work because of... Geedorah -- a site I've never even read!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 21 Jan 2009 02:23

My fault. Got my reasons to not have my own domain name to this date, but lazyness is without doubt one of them. I think we'll find an as-good-as-possible solution next month -- Geedorah's creator is indeed quite a nice fellow.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Jan 2009 20:02

I like your recent burst of news-posting! It motivates me to do more myself. In a way, I am now kind of wishing Postback never comes back, so that you can keep posting news here! But not really -- it would be too high a price to pay for that...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 21 Jan 2009 23:08

Doesn't it motivate you to revive the blog by a chance? I clicked the first link in this thread the other day (which I assume is not actually the proper one) and thought that it was very nice checking the archive with such a good selection and lovely pictures. And I really hate blogs!
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Jan 2009 09:14

I fixed the link at the top.

Yeah, I miss the blog too. I put several weeks' work in there to get it looking and running exactly how I wanted to. But it has two big disadvantages:

1. The exact same update takes twice as long to code in the blog than in the forum.

2. It is impossible to integrate the blog perfectly with the forum, so that blog permalinks will form a single, continuous page with the forum comments, when you click on them. So if you have, say, 3 blog updates for a single game, and a forum thread, all your information on that game ends up being scattered across 4 pages, which is much less tidy and convenient than with a single forum page. On top of all that, a forum-only news section promotes reader contributions much more than a primarily blog-based news section -- and I would really like to motivate more people to contribute news, if possible.

So, you know, perhaps one day someone will make a solid application that integrates a blog and a forum perfectly, so that with a couple of clicks you'll be able to promote specific posts to a frontpage. That would just be awesome, but I've looked around and there's nothing really good on that front yet. There have been attempts, but nothing as user friendly as phpBB or WordPress.

I am going to be writing more on this soon as I have lots more to say on the subject.

But yeah, the blog looks really cool, man. Still, about the only thing that would make me resurrect it now is if you offered to help me run it -- but you know, I am sure you'd get tired eventually and give up. Everyone gives up sooner or later. It's only when there's many people contributing that projects like this can last a long while*. And this can only be done in a forum...

*Or when people are getting paid, in which case you get Kotaku, Siliconera, et al, lol.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 22 Jan 2009 15:31

icycalm wrote:I fixed the link at the top.

Those were some really kind words... Putting up again those unfinished, outdated, even awkward mag layouts, not so kind, must I say!

But yeah, the blog looks really cool, man. Still, about the only thing that would make me resurrect it now is if you offered to help me run it -- but you know, I am sure you'd get tired eventually and give up. Everyone gives up sooner or later. It's only when there's many people contributing that projects like this can last a long while*. And this can only be done in a forum...

Well, in my case, I indeed got tired of working for others, you know. There's always something substancial you don't agree with and then you realize can do nothing about that since the site is not yours.

Forum newsposting has one fundamental advantage over weblog newsposting, as you somehow point out -- subject classification and resumption. But the weblog format is the only one which lets you check the news chronologically, which is really something. Not not mention popularity and presentation. I wouldn't even hesitate in your case.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Jan 2009 20:55

Yes, that is quite something. The blog format is indeed superior in terms of popularity and presentation -- but only one kind of presentation, as you said: the chronological one. Forums are still superior in the "per game" presentation format. I would still rather browse through your Blazblue thread than do a search for "Blazblue" on IC and click through all the little bits and pieces Brandon has written about it. Plus, you have all the flyers, videos, etc. neatly arranged and displayed -- something which he could never have done.

So blogs are superior in terms of popularity -- but I do not care about popularity any more. And they are superior in terms of one kind of presentation, while forums are superior in terms of another. Finally, forums are superior in terms of functionality, speed, and the possibility of reader contributions.

After weighing up all the above, the clear winner for me is the forum approach.

And besides, when the integrated blog/forum software starts arriving, it will probably be possible to migrate to that, retrospectively creating appropriate chronological archives. At least this is what I am hoping will happen...

I just don't have the courage to put so much extra time in the blog, man. I'd rather be playing more games or writing more reviews.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 23 Jan 2009 00:09

icycalm wrote:but I do not care about popularity any more.

Hey, welcome aboard! Pleasant corner, isn't it?

After weighing up all the above, the clear winner for me is the forum approach.

Alrighty. It is to me too, you see. But I'm nuts for "chronological consulting". Checking your blog archive was like taking an old neat magazine and see what happened that particular month.

One day you'll regret it, I'm sure.

I just don't have the courage to put so much extra time in the blog, man. I'd rather be playing more games or writing more reviews.

But you're interested in posting news, or neither?
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Jan 2009 03:15

Recap wrote:Hey, welcome aboard! Pleasant corner, isn't it?

It really is. Very liberating.

Alrighty. It is to me too, you see. But I'm nuts for "chronological consulting". Checking your blog archive was like taking an old neat magazine and see what happened that particular month.

One day you'll regret it, I'm sure.

Yes, I understand you now. I remember how your soft lists are indexed too...

But you're interested in posting news, or neither?

Yes of course. News-posting is the second best thing about videogames (playing them being the first of course). I just wish I could build up a little community of hardcore gamers, who would end up running the news section on its own, even if I decided to stop posting for a week now and then.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Feb 2009 10:06

OMG!

Recap, what the hell are you doing to my favorite videogame website?!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 05 Feb 2009 14:01

Host issue now solved. Everything will return to normality in a few days, with brand-new content. Please, stay tuned (always wanted to say that).
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby JoshF » 16 Feb 2009 20:57

JoshF

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Jan 2010 14:35

Recap's fagotry with the dashes is annoying me so much I am having trouble visiting his forum at all. He simply inserts dashes at random, just for the hell of it, and not only in the titles of random Japanese games: I can't believe he writes 360 as "3-60".

I swear to god he has got to be retarded. I've been trying to come up with another explanation for months and sorely failing.

Do me a favor and remove the retardation dashes whenever you quote him in this forum -- I am having enough trouble as it is visiting HIS forum, I don't want to develop the same aversion to my own.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Apr 2010 06:15

http://insomnia.ac/commentary/guide_to_ ... /prologue/

Comments on Postback go in this thread. I might have some extra things to say after I get some sleep from pounding out that article.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Next

Return to Games