default header

Games

[PC] [PS4] [ONE] Doom (2016)

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] [PS4] [ONE] Doom (2016)

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Jan 2009 17:20

Novelist hired to work on the game:

Graham Joyce wrote:I'll also be working on the computer game Doom 4 for ID Software. I've been playing Doom for some years. Okay, here's a secret: I don't actually tickle the keyboards into simulating lines of deathless prose for the full eight hours per day. No. The creative batteries do run low at moments, it has to be said, and to recharge them I might walk the dog; pluck the lute from the wall (okay, guitar); read lines of the Sufi mystic Rumi; or I might casually mangle a few demons in Doom.

Over the years I've been grassed up by the savages more than once, who, with their ears pressed to the door, can hear the blast of explosions and the groans of demons atomised before my cannon fire; whereupon they instantly report me to their mother. I can hear their excitable voices on the other side of the door: mum, he's not writing he's playing computer games! Now, since I've been hired to contribute to the storyline of Doom 4 I can say what was always true anyway. I'm working. You see, for a writer, lots of stuff that doesn't look like working is actually working. Looking out of the window, for example. Balancing a pencil on the edge of the desk in order to find its exact fulcrum. Playing Doom. Lots of things.

http://www.grahamjoyce.net/
Last edited by icycalm on 01 Jan 2010 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Jedah » 18 Jan 2009 18:38

Doom does NOT need novelists to fulfill its purpose as a game experience. Nobody has spent zillions of hours blasting demons with double barreled shotguns because of the story. Somebody should shake the people of id software before they come out with something every magazine will love and die hard fans will hate. Hire people to make shotguns satisfying Hollenshead and leave novelists to the bookworms.
Jedah

Unread postby Strifer » 18 Jan 2009 19:20

The thing with Doom 3 was that the audio logs added some flavour to a game mired with bad design choices, the most prominent of which was the designers' inability to decide whether they wanted to recreate Doom or Biohazard.
Strifer

Unread postby Ryusenshi » 04 Apr 2013 17:05

Development for Doom 4 was rebooted in 2011. The game is now planned for the next console generation, but no release date is scheduled.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-03-bethesda-confirms-work-on-a-new-version-of-doom-4-plans-for-rage-2-ditched

Wesley Yin-Poole wrote:Bethesda has confirmed development of a "new version" of Doom 4, apparently planned for the next-generation of consoles - but the game appears to be a long way off.

Sources speaking with Kotaku claim the release date is up in the air after a reboot in late 2011. Development is "not going well" according to one source, although Bethesda, publisher of id Software, claims the game is still in the works.

"An earlier version of Doom 4 did not exhibit the quality and excitement that id and Bethesda intend to deliver and that Doom fans worldwide expect," Bethesda's marketing boss Pete Hines said in a new statement.

"As a result, id refocused its efforts on a new version of Doom 4 that promises to meet the very high expectations everyone has for this game and this franchise. When we're ready to talk about the Doom 4 id is making, we will let folks know."

Apparently, after Rage didn't meet sales expectations, ZeniMax, parent company of Bethesda and id Software, canceled Rage 2 and "downsized" plans for Rage DLC.

Now, all id staff are working on Doom 4.

This article summarizes the story of Doom 4's development so far.

http://kotaku.com/five-years-and-nothing-to-show-how-doom-4-got-off-trac-468097062
Ryusenshi

Unread postby icycalm » 07 May 2014 21:49

Pre-orders of the new Wolfenstein get access to something called the "Doom Beta", which I assume is Doom 4, though the number doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere.

wolf_tno_finalbox_flat_pcbox.jpg

http://www.wolfenstein.com/doom

DOOM Beta FAQ
THIS INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES.

I’ve just pre-ordered Wolfenstein, where’s my DOOM beta key?

A key code will be located on an insert that’s included inside your boxed copy of Wolfenstein: The New Order when it releases on May 20th. Once the key code is redeemed, you’ll be registered to participate in the DOOM beta once it begins. Check back at wolfenstein.com/doom for updated information.

Do I need to choose the platform on which I want to play the DOOM Beta?

No. DOOM beta access correlates to your pre-ordered Wolfenstein: The New Order platform. If you purchase an Xbox 360 or Xbox One version of Wolfenstein: The New Order, you will receive an invitation to the Xbox One DOOM beta. PlayStation 3 or PlayStation 4 purchasers will receive an invite to the PS4 DOOM beta. PC purchasers will receive an invite to the PC DOOM beta. The DOOM Beta will only be available on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.

If I pre-order the game digitally for Steam, will I still get access to the DOOM Beta?

Yes. Once you pre-order on Steam, your invitation to the DOOM beta will be associated with your user account. You will not receive a code. Other digital retailers' processes and/or participation may vary. We recommend contacting your preferred retailer directly for additional information.

If I pre-order the game digitally for console, will I still get access to the DOOM Beta?

We are working with Microsoft and Sony and will update this page when we have more information.

How do I redeem my code?

Once you’ve received your boxed copy of Wolfenstein: The New Order or your key code from your participating digital retailer, return to wolfenstein.com/doom and follow the instructions located on the site. Once you enter your code you will be asked to provide a valid email address. You must use a valid email address that you will continue to use in the future; you will not be able to change the email address associated with your key code. We'll contact you at a later date with further instructions regarding the DOOM beta via the email address you provide when you register your code.

Will I need 1st Party premium subscriptions in order to play the DOOM Beta?

An Xbox Live Gold membership is required for the Xbox One beta. A PSN Plus membership is not required for the PlayStation 4 beta.

What is the DOOM Beta? How long will it last?

We will be providing more information on the specific content and duration of the beta test at a later time.

When does the DOOM Beta start?

Although you’ll receive the DOOM beta key code with your copy of Wolfenstein: The New Order, the DOOM beta won’t begin until a later, yet-to-be announced date. We will contact you with news and updates surrounding the start of the DOOM beta via the email address provided during the key code redemption process.

Will there be an Open Beta for DOOM?

Timing and availability of future beta programs for DOOM is to be determined by Bethesda in its discretion. The only current way to ensure an invitation is through pre-ordering Wolfenstein: The New Order. We will be providing more information on additional beta tests, if any, at a later time.

*DOOM Beta invite included with qualifying game purchase. Platform/console restrictions will apply. Must be 18+ to participate. Access subject to requisite platform/console subscription, timing and territories, to be determined at Bethesda’s sole discretion. Participation requires Internet connection and acceptance of Beta agreement. Additional terms and conditions may apply.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby infernovia » 18 May 2014 05:26

doom4-1-front.jpg

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/id-sof ... 26798.html

Glassdoor.com calls itself the "world's most transparent career community," a place where companies recruit talent and a place for employees to rate their company. One such review popped up on id Software's company profile, and it's really not pretty. Especially for those who are anxiously awaiting new DOOM 4 info.

This former employee claims that he/she worked for id Software for more than three years, and claims that there is a lack of professionalism. "Expect lots of inappropriate jokes, comments and a generally unprofessional work environment. Our HR director quit recently over the many internal issues," this unnamed person writes.

Later on in the review, the former employee begins to spill the juicy DOOM 4 details, reporting that the entire tech team has quit and moved over to Oculus VR. They exited the company in February in protest to the way management was treating the employees and contractors.

"When all of the teams merged together to create the "new" Doom team 2 years ago, there was around 140+ developers to make the game," the review reads. "Now, there is only around 50. The non-stop attrition has gotten so bad, that they had to contract outside the company for the multiplayer portion of the game, and we have contractors doing a bulk of our art work."

This person claims that around every four months, management will say that the current direction is wrong for DOOM 4, and will force the team to reboot most or all of the game. So even though the team has been bashing out DOOM 4 for about two years, they have nothing to show for it save for one or two "blockout levels and numerous prototypes."

"The last two years have been generally bad for this company, and has cost id Software much in the eyes of the industry," the review reads. "If you want to turn this around, you need to make a positive change. Encourage the bright, capable developers who actually produce, and stop playing politics."

id Software cofounder John Carmack officially resigned from the studio back in November 2013 and began working full time as the CTO for Oculus VR. Former art director Kenneth Scott of 343 Industries and id Software also joined Oculus VR this week.

While this review is all full of doom and gloom (pun intended, sorry), we have to take it with a grain of salt given this person doesn't reveal his/her true identity. But if it's a legit entry, then we get a good idea as to why we really haven't seen any DOOM 4 evidence since before the project was rebooted.

So far Bethesda and id Software have yet to make a formal statement. To read the full review, head here.
infernovia

Unread postby dinopoke » 13 Jun 2014 09:17

http://doom.com

Look for the first reveal of the game at QuakeCon 2014.

Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYjR5UzhcZA
dinopoke

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Jun 2014 19:09

Well, there's still no 4 anywhere, so until we hear otherwise I am going to assume it is a reboot and rename the thread accordingly.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Jun 2014 19:16

And I'd like to finally respond to this:

Jedah wrote:Doom does NOT need novelists to fulfill its purpose as a game experience. Nobody has spent zillions of hours blasting demons with double barreled shotguns because of the story. Somebody should shake the people of id software before they come out with something every magazine will love and die hard fans will hate. Hire people to make shotguns satisfying Hollenshead and leave novelists to the bookworms.

Every line of it is trash. Here is my reply, line by line:

-Doom indeed doesn't need a novelist to be a game, but it needs one to be a better game than what it is.

-Everyone who has spent "zillions" of hours blasting demons in Doom is a retard; it's hard to so much as FINISH the game ONCE considering how mindless and boring it is.

-"Die hard" Doom fans are retards and no one should care what they think.

-"Satisfying shotguns" do not make good games, "bookworms" make good games.

So much for his points, then, the rest will be in my review.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ksevcov » 18 Jul 2014 05:25

http://gematsu.com/2014/07/doom-reboot- ... box-one-pc

The next Doom game will be a reboot, simply titled Doom, for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC, Bethesda Softworks announced at QuakeCon. It will run on idTech 6 and run in 1080p at 60 frames per second.

“The game is called Doom, not Doom 4,” executive producer Marty Stratton said on stage. “It’s an origin game, re-imagining everything about the originals.”

“The game begins just outside of a massive research facility on the surface of Mars.”

The QuakeCon reveal focused on the game’s single-player campaign and combat, which Stratton said “nothing feels quite like.” The first mechanic showcased was demons, who are mechanical and corrupt hell knights. The second mechanic is guns. Players will have access to both conventional guns and big guns, like the double barrel shotgun. Some combat will be hand-to-hand, and players can double jump, too.

The Doom reboot will focus on high-speed movement and run-and-gun action, like the old Doom games.

A gameplay demo shown on stage at QuakeCon began in an area filled with gray steel walls, flames, and a ‘comically-large’ shotgun. Players will be able to stun enemies with a shot, then smash their face in with the character’s boots.

Like previous Doom games, you’ll find yourself searching for yellow key cards to open doors. One way to get it showcased in the demo is to tear off a corpse’s arm and use it to open a hand-print scanner.

Health isn’t regenerating. Enemies will drop health when you defeat them. And there are interesting ways to die, too. The demo showcased a demon ripping off the player’s arms and beating him to death with them. A droid proceeded to clean up the blood spill.

A second level shown at the expo saw players in a dank, Mars cave system that looked like something out of Doom 3. A chainsaw was involved, which lets players carve up demons in different directions (through the shoulder, torso, or down the middle), as well as hand-to-hand combat and a variety of demons. Rocket launchers split demons in two. The demo ended with the reveal of the giant, horned demon showcased in the game’s E3 teaser.
ksevcov

Unread postby ksevcov » 15 Jun 2015 05:26

http://gematsu.com/2015/06/doom-unveile ... pring-2016

Doom_2015_06-14-15_008.jpg

Doom_2015_06-14-15_001.jpg

Doom_2015_06-14-15_002.jpg

Doom_2015_06-14-15_003.jpg

Doom_2015_06-14-15_004.jpg

Doom_2015_06-14-15_005.jpg

Doom_2015_06-14-15_006.jpg

Bethesda Softworks and id Software officially unveiled Doom at its E3 2015 press conference this evening. The game is coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in spring 2016.

The first bit of gameplay, presented by id Software executive producer Marty Stratton, sees the player on the outskirts of a UAC facility on Mars, enacted to do one thing: kill demons. The second bit of gameplay starts the player in the demons’ home: Hell.

The idTech 6 Engine-built game is based three core principles: “bad-ass demons, big fucking guns, and moving really, really fast.” Oh, and there’s a chainsaw. And pretty weapon close-ups. And a whole lot of blood.

In addition to a single-player mode, there’s also a multiplayer mode. Multiplayer is fast-paced, arena-style combat set in locations ranging from UAC facilities on Mars to the depths of Hell. There are modes such as “Domination,” “Freeze Tag,” and “Clan Arena.”

Finally, Bethesda also announced “Doom Snapmap,” an easy-to-use in-game tool with “uncompromising depth and capability.” It allows players to snap together and customize intricate maps, and create or edit game logic to make new modes. That user-created content can then be shared and played instantly with friends or others around the world online. This mode is part of Bethesda.net, a new service built around all of Bethesda’s games.

Developed by id software, the studio that pioneered the first-person shooter genre and created multiplayer Deathmatch, DOOM returns as a brutally fun and challenging modern-day shooter experience. Relentless demons, impossibly destructive guns, and fast, fluid movement provide the foundation for intense, first-person combat – whether you’re obliterating demon hordes through the depths of Hell in the single-player campaign, or competing against your friends in numerous multiplayer modes. Expand your gameplay experience using DOOM SnapMap game editor to easily create, play, and share your content with the world.

Story
You’ve come here for a reason. The Union Aerospace Corporation’s massive research facility on Mars is overwhelmed by fierce and powerful demons, and only one person stands between their world and ours. As the lone DOOM Marine, you’ve been activated to do one thing – kill them all.

Key Features

• A Relentless Campaign – There is no taking cover or stopping to regenerate health as you beat back Hell’s raging demon hordes. Combine your arsenal of futuristic and iconic guns, upgrades, movement and an advanced melee system to knock-down, slash, stomp, crush, and blow apart demons in creative and violent ways.
  • Return of id Multiplayer – Dominate your opponents in DOOM’s signature, fast-paced arena-style combat. In both classic and all-new game modes, annihilate your enemies utilizing your personal blend of skill, powerful weapons, vertical movement, and unique power-ups that allow you to play as a demon.
  • DOOM SnapMap – a powerful, but easy-to-use game and level editor – allows for limitless gameplay experiences on every platform. Without any previous experience or special expertise, any player can quickly and easily snap together and visually customize maps, add pre-defined or completely custom gameplay, and even edit game logic to create new modes. Instantly play your creation, share it with a friend, or make it available to players around the world – all in-game with the push of a button.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NteAPGprDJk

Play footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVaWl1GtDHU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXhpg9Qx6l0
ksevcov

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Mar 2017 21:33

NFG's review:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/NFG/recommended/379720/

NFG wrote:After reading so many great reviews and glowing reports from friends I was very surprised to find this game was heavily scripted and tedious to play. The developer attitude towards the player might best be summarized by the unskippable dancing company logos when the game is launched. The entire game is like that: for every cool or beautiful gameplay element there's something that's decidedly player-unfriendly.

Bits of story text are collected and viewed in a tiny window on an otherwise unused screen, forcing the player to scroll through as few as three paragraphs of story. The 'glory kills' basically pause the game for 2-3 seconds every time, and like... Near the beginning there's an elevator. Push the button, wait for it to arrive, get in, push the button, wait for it to close the doors, wait for it to move to another floor. At the end of a short hallway, literally the only thing on this level, there's a key. Back to the elevator, push the button, wait, resume playing.

None of these things are game breakers, but they keep piling up, like a heap of tiny offenses and after two hours I found I was basically playing it angry, it wasn't fun.

And there are games out there I will enjoy more, so I'm moving on.

I have huge respect for the guy. Met him in Japan back in the day too. Will be featuring pieces of his on the frontpage soon.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games