default header

Games

Platinum Games

Moderator: JC Denton

Platinum Games

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Jan 2013 15:16

Minami and Inaba interview with Iwata:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interview ... num-games/

Utterly engrossing read. I love how they mention computer systems and Squeenix games I haven't even heard of. Also, the quality of the translation. They keep Japanese terms like "belt-scrolling" and "shooting" game, and it's cute how they add little notes for stuff like Space Invaders and Final Fight that everyone knows about. I had no idea Iwata's interviews were this good, imma gonna read all of them now. And order a Wii U right after.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Jan 2013 16:04

Inaba
About three years ago, we made Bayonetta, and it was a very symbolic title for us. We started by being told we could make anything we wanted.

Iwata
No one said, "Make this kind of game." Instead, they said, "It's in your hands." And that's how Bayonetta began.

Inaba
Yes. But we didn't begin making it right away. A lot of ideas came up.

Minami
Everyone had their own ideas about what they wanted to make.

Inaba
Some on the staff said they wanted to make a vertically scrolling shooter. In a very hypothetical scenario, if we really pushed that as a company, we could have made that, but everyone on the staff thought, "Our natural abilities lie in this direction, so we should make use of that to make something high-quality, and what we made was Bayonetta.

That's so awesome lol.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Jan 2013 16:06

Iwata
What does the team need in order to keep making high-quality action games?

Inaba
I think it needs skilled programmers and staff members who know a lot about action games. I think the enjoyment of action games lies in what the players feel through their hands, but I can't explain it in words very well.

But I can! Read my book!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Jan 2013 16:12

Minami
That's right, blaming the times is just an excuse. So we strongly want to be a studio that can win with games that are made in Japan.

He would have grasped Nietzsche right away. "It is decadent to be determined by one's environment." The healthy shape their environment, they are not shaped by it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby movie » 30 Aug 2013 05:30

Iwata Asks: The Wonderful 101: Hideki Kamiya
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interview ... ful101/0/0

Iwata asks: The Wonderful 101 Development Staff
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interview ... ful101/1/0
movie

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Aug 2013 23:11

The first headline of the second interview is "Joining Together to be Strong". The "indies" think that by staying alone they are stronger. Who's right and who's wrong? Just take a look at their games...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 27 Apr 2016 18:28

http://gematsu.com/2016/04/platinum-gam ... mi-resigns

Sal Romano wrote:Platinum Games president and CEO Tatsuya Minami resigned his position at the company at the end of March, according to a GameBusiness.jp report.

Kenichi Sato was appointed as his successor. Additionally, Seigo Tabira and Atsushi Inaba join the management as company directors.

Platinum Games celebrates its 10th anniversary in 2016. Minami recently shared a message looking forward to the company’s “bright, shining future.”

Update 4/22/16: Platinum Games has updated its official website replacing Minami’s name with Sato’s.
earthboundtrev

Return to Games