qWs3tuQ.png
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Feb 2017 11:07

From Discord: https://discord.gg/7ZKAkEj

jeffrobot494
How do you like the new CoD?

DJ Orwell
From what I've played the campaign is really fucking cool, much better than the past few, but I haven't finished it and I feel guilty about that.
It's seamless throughout; no loading screens, no perspective switches away from your protagonist (although it does occasionally have third-person cutscenes orbiting him) so you can trace every footstep taken throughout, and even the mission briefings are integrated in the scene.(edited)
It also has lots of unique optional side-missions where you take out mercenaries in a chain of command (depicted on the wall of your room on the ship) towards the big bad

DJ Orwell
Treyarch's campaigns have really bad flow compared to Infinity Ward and steal control from you so that your protagonist can do something stupid for narrative contrivance, like botch a point-blank kill on the big bad when you've been stealthily dispatching everyone to that point.
I still like Black Ops 1 because the plot is insane and it has a fun framing device where the protagonist is being interrogated and is recalling the events that you play, but at points his interrogator corrects the record and alters the scene that you're in accordingly.
Anyway the multiplayer, which is what I mainly play...
Infinite Warfare is a slightly worse Black Ops III and that is harsh because I played BOIII for hundreds of hours and I think it has the best MP in the series.
Mainly because everything about it emanates style and the maps are incredibly colorful and exotic. IW's are more generic monotone space outpost type stuff.
IW also has the most disgusting iteration of loot crates in any game yet, as I brought up in here before.
To rank the series:
Campaign: MW1 = MW2 > IW (tentative) > BO1 > AW (tentative) > Ghosts > MW3 > BO3 > BO2
I haven't played the WW2 CoDs sufficiently to rank them.
Multiplayer is harder to consider because the games play much more differently from each other in MP, and each studio has a different style. Generally the best one to play is whatever the current year is, though, for the most variety in modes and maps (old CoDs have dead playlists and not enough DLC owners remaining). (edited)
CoD is also dead on PC. Infinite Warfare has 640 players -total- online right now, including campaign and zombies players. On PS4 it's thriving in every playlist, of course. (edited)
The best thing about BOIII and IW is using a shotgun in MP and just sliding into people and blasting them away one after another within seconds.
They both have a delicious assortment of shotguns with unique cadences. BOIII has the classic pump-action, the semi-auto two-hitter, the weaker automatic for scrubs, and the long-range single slug option.
Oh, yeah, Activision's also mentioned that CoD's going "back to its roots" in this year's installment, so probably another historical war.

jeffrobot494
That campaign stuff does sound really cool.

DJ Orwell
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... disappoint

Tom Phillips wrote:Call of Duty will "return to its roots" after Infinite Warfare s...
Don't expect another space-set Call of Duty for a long time - Activision has at last admitted what was clear all along - fans did not like last year's Call...

I would highly recommend a Redbox rental to anyone with a console.

jeffrobot494
I might have to check it out. I wish I had waited to play through the BLOPS3 campaign in coop.

DJ Orwell
I tried playing BO3 in co-op but it's jarring that it's only written for one protagonist, so everyone teleports inside of him when someone crosses the script tripwire and then split up into four entities after the cutscene. (edited)
They're not really taking the co-op aspect seriously. There's also the hilarious "Realistic" mode where everyone is one-shot downed so it becomes a relay race of people rapidly reviving each other one after the other at the same chokepoint.
World at War is the other CoD campaign that has co-op and I would like to try that sometime.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Feb 2017 11:10

DJ Orwell wrote:Treyarch's campaigns have really bad flow compared to Infinity Ward and steal control from you so that your protagonist can do something stupid for narrative contrivance, like botch a point-blank kill on the big bad when you've been stealthily dispatching everyone to that point.

They could still be the best campaigns ever. The thing you are talking about is just a detail. Sure, it would be cool for this detail to be cool, but it's still just a detail.

Reminds me of Lowell's dota book arguing that MOBA cameras are not immersive (it's a TACTICS game lol; it's not VR so you can plan the TACTICS for fuck's sake!) or infernovia docking Alien Swarm a star because it's not Gears of War, all of which sounds like casual criticism from people who just got into gaming and have no idea what a genre is.
Last edited by icycalm on 16 Feb 2017 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Feb 2017 11:21

In fact it's hard to think of a more casual criticism of a campaign than yours. The casuals said the same thing of Gears of War, and even MGS2 before that, and these are top 10 game ever campaigns lol. You are basically docking the game points because of cutscenes lol.

And of course I expect you to come back with a laundry list of stuff that's wrong with the campaigns and that is the REAL reason you don't like them, but if that's the case why did you focus on the not-real reason when you slammed Treyarch's campaigns? I am sure you'll have reasons for that too, but all that stuff is suspect now that I've stepped in and said my piece.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Feb 2017 11:33

icycalm
I advise everyone to take DJ's criticisms of games with scepticism (edited)
I copy-pasted his CoD comments in the forum and replied to the only aspect of them which I am familiar with, because I have not played a single one of these games
I suspect that if I had played these games I would have argued against many more of his points (edited)
jeff, it's also a good idea to leave the in-depth discussion for the forum
DJ is here mainly to play games, and by drawing him into discussions you are helping no one
If I seem like an asshole for butting in and trying to break up people's fun/chat, remember that you are on the best vg criticism site in the world and that I feel OBLIGATED to oversee any criticism-related discussion and moderate it with EXTREME PREJUDICE to maintain a higher standard of quality than any other place DJ has ever posted in (edited)
Thank you
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby radoverum » 16 Feb 2017 17:19

I've caught up with CoD in the past few years (BO2, Ghosts, AW, BO3, IW) and the campaigns are quite well-done. They pack in tons of graphical detail, set-pieces, and first-person cutscenes.

Especially when the cutscene or set-piece involves your character in some fucked-up situation or doing something badass. This includes the scene in BO2 where you botch the kill on the main bad guy, because of the tension. Ghosts had the space station sequences: ambushed by Federation forces, and then the character you're playing sacrifices himself in the process of disabling the orbital cannon. AW: one of the very first scenes is your friend getting blown up and your arm getting sliced off. BO3: first-person suicide of your character late in the game. IW: robot face stomps at the beginning, and all the space stuff is epic.

I haven't really found it in me to play those CoD campaigns mentioned above more than once, however. The shooting itself is satisfying though, and the advanced movement in more recent CoDs (wall run, boost jump, slide) lets you pull off some sick moves, but mostly only in multiplayer. I find the advanced movement less useful in the campaign (cover is still too important).
radoverum

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Feb 2017 19:07

I don't know why anyone would play any campaign twice. Lack of money is the only reason I can come up with. I would even be sceptical of the opinions of people who like to play campaigns twice, since it would be indicative of a lack of sensitivity to boredom.

Also, can you please get an avatar, preferably game-related and slick-looking?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games