default header

Games

Real-time Strategy

Moderator: JC Denton

Real-time Strategy

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Jun 2015 13:43

The common "early-rush sucks" criticism leveled at many RTSes, including PA, exploded:

http://www.learntocounter.com/forums/in ... 9#msg82049

Noobshock wrote:
Soridu Snakku wrote:But for me earlygame was always one of the things keeping me out of the RTS genre, as I was a constant victim to forward rushes and players with "win in 7 minutes" buildorders.

There's always going to be ways to minmax to get an early decisive attack force ASAP, whether it happens in 5, 7, 9 minutes is irrelevant, the novice is ALWAYS going to get the impression that there's "not enough time". Learning to handle "rush" BOs is like learning to handle the first ball thrown at you in Tennis. "Oh that came way too fast" well tough shit, wanna learn how to play the game or not?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Jun 2015 13:47

Or simply play with players at your level who haven't figured out rush build orders yet (or bothered to copy them from the internet).

It's not the game's fault if you insist on playing with players above your level. (Or it IS the game's fault if it lacks decent matchmaking, or a lobby system with enough options to allow you to find similarly skilled opponents. But even in that case, you can always play single-player with adjustable AI until you get to the level where you can handle, to some extent, the MP lobby.)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Aug 2017 23:12

The full image, apparently posted by Jon Mavor (or modified by him?) in the PA forum at some point:

EkSrHSn.png

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/age- ... st-1142743

cdrkf wrote:
I wrote:I got it off a 4chan archive while searching for my name, as I do once a week or so (I never post there nor read anything that's not about me). I've no idea what's missing from the image and would love to see it.

@squishypon3 I'm sure you'd know what I'm thinking of when you see it- Jon Mavor did a new version of that image (with a com behind the rock). The 4th example was for PA showing of an asteroid flying down on top of the com with the tag 'Fixed' next to it :p I've dug through all the places I can think of for where it was last posted and can't find it. It's posted in this forum *somewhere*, however it's buried, possibly back in the backers only section of the original PA subforum...

Thinking about it can you remember that image @wpmarshall ?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Oct 2017 02:22

Top 3 RTSes:

1. Planetary Annihilation: Titans
2. Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
3. Total Annihilation: Battle Tactics

Then comes everything else. Not quite sure what number 4 is. Perhaps Red Alert 2 or Generals. Then maybe some Cossacks game. I also need to try the Wargame series at some point.

StarCraft, I repeat, is a mediocre 3/5 game that has no place whatsoever on a top RTS list. Unless you have sunk thousands of hours into all the rest, StarCraft is not even worth TRYING.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games