default header

Hardware

Arcade Sticks (Retail)

Moderator: JC Denton

Arcade Sticks (Retail)

Unread postby Jedah » 18 May 2008 00:27

Just saw this beautiful Hori stick:

http://www.hori.jp/us/products/xbox360/ ... stick_ex2/

and thought we need a thread to talk about retail products. Feel free to contribute your opinions about any product you come across. Price, online shops and shipping costs will be highly helpful too.
Jedah

Re: Retail arcade sticks

Unread postby Mr.Stevenson » 18 May 2008 03:56

My brother has (or had, because I haven't seen it around lately) a Fighting Stick EX2 for the 360 to play Dead Or Alive 4 (lol) and Virtua 5 with. He was disappointed with the quality of the stick; he mentioned the stick being too lose, and that the stick wasn't registering his inputs. Since then, my brother has reverted back to using the 360 controller. He said he was going to have a modder install higher quality parts in the EX2 in the near future. That's his excuse for not using it currently, I guess. Unless the EX2 is damaged, I don't see why he would switch back to the 360 controller, because the EX2 should allow for far better control.

Also, I had a chance to mess around with the EX2 on my computer. I found some guide to get it to work on the computer. I played Metal Slug 3 with the EX2. The EX2 worked just fine, and I was able to play Metal Slug 3 smoothly. The only problem I had with the EX2 is that it made annoying, loud clicking-noises when I moved the stick.
Mr.Stevenson

Unread postby JoshF » 18 May 2008 04:17

I thought the point of buying Hori sticks is that you can switch in Sanwa parts or something.
JoshF

Unread postby Mr.Stevenson » 18 May 2008 04:47

That seems to be the consensus among the people at virtua fighter dot com. Although, from reading the thread, the modding process doesn't appear very simple.

http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubbthre ... ber/172868
Mr.Stevenson

Unread postby Mr.Stevenson » 18 May 2008 05:21

The Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 SA (HRAP 2SA) was released last month in japan. Apparently, it's only compatible with the PS1 and PS2. Sigh. Well, there still is the HRAP3, if you're looking for a stick to use with the PS3 and/or your computer.

http://www.hori.jp/products/ps2/control ... c_pro2_sa/

The HRAP 2SA is available to purchase at a number of sites, like NCSX and Play-Asia (currently not in stock):

http://www.horistore.com/shop/item_detail.php?id=652
http://www.shopncsx.com/realarcadepro2sa.aspx\
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-e-7 ... -2nut.html
Last edited by Mr.Stevenson on 14 Sep 2008 01:14, edited 2 times in total.
Mr.Stevenson

Unread postby Molloy » 18 May 2008 14:57

Personally I'm not mad on sticks with 8 buttons. I like having room to place my pinkie.

My favourite stick of all time is the old Namco stick which I bought for the princely sum of €5 back whenever it was Virtua Fighter 4 came out. It's good an heavy, the button placement is wonderful and it looks really cool. I've heard alot of complaints about the buttons not being reliable but mine seem to work fine. Sadly the metal part of the stick has gotten rusty and the paints coming off. Must see can I find another one in decent condition.
Molloy

Unread postby bullethell » 29 Aug 2008 02:48

Hori Arcade Sticks are great quality products. I bought the first PS2 HRAP (Hori Real Arcade Pro) stick when it came out back in 2004 (if I remember correctly) but sold it to get the HRAP2. I control all the PS2 JP Shooting games fine with it. I am using it also for PC needs, Super Joy Box 3 Pro* from Mayflash is a great joypad adaptor (lag-free and with Vista drivers).

*http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-6m-49-en-70-qc2.html

I am trying to get a Hori Real Arcade Pro EX** (for X360) at the moment but it is very difficult finding one now. It seems that the best advice is to buy a Hori Stick immediately if you see you are really interested to it.

**http://www.hori.jp/products/xbox360/controller/realarc_pro_ex/
bullethell

Unread postby ashn0d » 14 Sep 2008 00:45

MadCatz is working with Capcom to release new Street Fighter IV-themed controllers, a new controller and 2 joysticks to be more precise.

Go to the Shoryuken Forums for some pics.

I can't understand why Capcom would go with Mad Catz over Hori, but they must have their reasons.
Playing :: Street Fighter IV (X360) /\ Skate 2 (X360) /\ GTA IV (X360) /\ The World Ends With You (DS)
ashn0d

Unread postby coolix » 14 Sep 2008 08:44

Prolly because MadCatz is distributed globally.
coolix

Unread postby icycalm » 14 Sep 2008 13:21

Since when? I don't remember ever seeing their stuff in Japan, except in import shops (I mean US import...).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 26 Jan 2009 12:18

RAP SE for the 360 next week. All parts Seimitsu this time.

http://www.horistore.com/shop/item_detail.php?id=747
Or if they didn't want players to credit feed, since basic design choices all point to COIN OP.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Feb 2009 11:15

http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp ... tegory=203

Here's what I wrote about this stick on IC:

I wrote:My problem with the SFIV TE stick is that it's UGLY. It is more easily modded than the Hori sticks and that's one thing strongly in its favor, but if I am going to drop that much money on a stick I want something slick looking.

But, yeah. That's American arcade stick design for you.

The lower-end stick is not that bad though, design-wise.

I wrote:
nothingxs wrote:What's wrong with the TE stick? Looks fine to me.

I can't really put it into words. To me, it just looks ugly. Perhaps if they painted the white sidebars black and made all the edges round instead of angled it wouldn't look so bad. It really screams American design. It's the American muscle car as opposed to Hori's European supercar.

http://forums.insertcredit.com/viewtopi ... 994#287994
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Jedah » 04 Feb 2009 11:25

I have already preordered one of these. The fact that it has the same parts with the arcade is what made me buy it. Compared to custom sticks like these it's not that beautiful, but I think it's better than monochrome RAP Horis. Probably the best commercial joystick available.
Jedah

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Feb 2009 11:32

This comparison chart has been posted on a number of message boards, but no one actually bothered to link the original page in which it was posted. I've spent the last 15 minutes trying to find it, to no avail. So I am just going to post it with no link. Goddamn lazy bastards. How hard can it be to post a fucking link while you are copy-pasting an entire page's worth of text?

EDIT: Note that the person who made this ranking works for MadCatz, the company which manufactures the highest rated stick in this ranking.

MarkMan from sdtekken.com wrote:Rankings are based on, in order:

* Quality
* Parts Used
* How easy it is to modify
* Performance
* Features

RANK - SS

* Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition (PS3, 360) *

RANK - S

* Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 SA (PS2)
* Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 SA (PS3) *
* Hori Real Arcade Pro SA (PS2)
* Hori Real Arcade Pro SE (PS2)
* Nubytech Street Fighter 15th Anniversary Arcade Stick - Happ Edition (PS2/Xbox)

RANK - A+

* SEGA Virtua Stick High Grade (PS3)

RANK - A

* Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 (PS2)
* Hori Real Arcade Pro Ver. A (PS2)

RANK - A-

* Hori Real Arcade Pro EX (360)
* Hori Real Arcade Pro Amazon Japan (PS2)
* Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 (PS3)
* Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 Amazon.co.jp Edition (PS3)
* Hori Street Fighter IV Arcade Stick (PS3; Same as Hori Real Arcade Pro 3) *
* Hori Real Arcade Pro Ver. B (PS2)

RANK - B+

* Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick (PS3, 360) *
* Nubytech Street Fighter 15th Anniversary Arcade Stick (PS2/Xbox)
* Hori Tekken 5 Real Arcade Pro (PS2; Japan only)
* Hori Soul Calibur III Real Arcade Pro (PS2)
* Hori Namco Arcade Stick (PS1)
* Agetec Dreamcast Arcade Stick (DC)
* ASCII Stick III (PS1)
* ASCII Street Fighter Zero 3 Stick (PS1; Same as ASCII Stick III)
* ASCII Rival Schools Stick (PS1; Same as ASCII Stick III)
* ASCII Capcom vs SNK Stick (DC)

RANK - B

* Hori Tekken 5 Anniversary Arcade Stick (PS2)
* Hori Tekken 3 Real Arcade Stick (PS1)
* Hori Tekken Tag Tournament Real Arcade Stick (PS2)
* Hori Tekken 4 Real Arcade Stick (PS2)
* Hori Soul Calibur II Real Arcade Stick (PS2)
* Sammy SNK vs Capcom: Chaos Stick (PS2)
* Sammy Guilty Gear XX Stick (PS2)

RANK - B -

* Hori Fighting Stick EX2 (360)
* Hori Dead or Alive 4 Arcade Stick (360; Same as Hori Fighting Stick EX2)
* Hori Virtua Fighter 5 Live Arcade Stick (360; Same as Hori Fighting Stick EX2)
* Hori Soulcalibur IV Arcade Stick (360; Same as Hori Fighting Stick EX2)
* Hori Street Fighter IV Arcade Stick (360; Same as Hori Fighting Stick EX2)
* Hori Fighting Stick Wii (Wii)
* ROYDSSTICK.EX Arcade Stick (PS2)

RANK - C

* Hori Fighting Stick 3 (PS3)
* Hori Soulcalibur IV Arcade Stick (PS3; Same as Hori Fighting Stick 3)
* Saulabi 4K Arcade Stick (PS3)
* Exar Tatsunoko vs Capcom Fighting Stick (Wii)
* Exar Neo Geo Arcade Fighting Stick (Wii)

RANK - D

* Elecom Arcade Fighting Stick (PS3)
* Mayflash Arcade Fighting Stick (PS3; Same as Elecom Arcade Fighting Stick)

*not yet released.

The same site from which the above chart was taken also features a handy page with information on a wide range of sticks:

http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/arcade-sticks/
Last edited by icycalm on 04 Feb 2009 15:31, edited 2 times in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Feb 2009 11:38

Jedah wrote:The fact that it has the same parts with the arcade is what made me buy it.

It has the same parts with the Vewlix cab. Now the Vewlix cab is the official Type X2 cab, but that doesn't mean that ALL arcades are using it. Other arcades may be using other cabs, and perhaps other controls. In fact, even some Vewlix cabs may no longer be using the original controls (because the operators have to change the controls periodically, and there's no guarantee they will always replace them with the exact same parts).

Jedah wrote:I think it's better than monochrome RAP Horis.

More evidence that our taste is diametrically opposed.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 04 Feb 2009 11:57

icycalm wrote:comparison chart

According to whom? Who is rating them? If this is presented as something like the official word and not just a personal ranking, it's pretty lame, really. For instance, there're no universal arguments to prefer Sanwa over Seimitsu or viceversa, and they're totally different.

Jeez... whoever is the author didn't even make the obligatory "button layout" category!
Last edited by Recap on 04 Feb 2009 12:01, edited 1 time in total.
Or if they didn't want players to credit feed, since basic design choices all point to COIN OP.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Feb 2009 12:01

I said "MarkMan from sdtekken.com". It is obviously just his opinion. How could anyone make such a chart "official" anyway?

What I find amazing is how a single person was able to sample so many sticks. But I guess he must be rating at least some of them based on the reputation/general opinion of the parts they contain.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 04 Feb 2009 12:03

Oh, I misunderstood your introduction, then. Anyway, quite useless, if you ask me.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby Jedah » 04 Feb 2009 12:50

icycalm wrote:More evidence that our taste is diametrically opposed.

You are exaggerating. We have common taste in many things. I'm just more interested in many western stuff you seem to hate. That's it.

The fact is that Americans have created something Capcom of Japan should do: a commercially available Vewlix cab (as you rightfully corrected me) arcade stick with modding features. It absolutely kicks HRAPs' kingdom to the nuts!
Jedah

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Feb 2009 13:09

Jedah, you are sounding like a NeoGAF kid now. This is because it is obvious that you know very little about arcade sticks, and yet still proceed to speak as loudly and with as much certainty as if you were an expert. So please tone it down.

Jedah wrote:You are exaggerating. We have common taste in many things. I'm just more interested in many western stuff you seem to hate. That's it.

When I said taste I meant visual taste. And in visual taste we do seem to be a universe apart. For example, the stick you linked in the original post in this thread seems to me not just ugly -- but GHASTLY. Yet you find it beautiful. Et cetera et cetera.

Jedah wrote:The fact is that Americans have created something Capcom of Japan should do: a commercially available Vewlix cab (as you rightfully corrected me) arcade stick with modding features.

Why should Capcom of Japan have created an arcade stick? Capcom of Japan makes games, not controllers.

Jedah wrote:It absolutely kicks HRAPs' kingdom to the nuts!

The only way in which the TE stick is superior to the Horis is in ease of modding. The parts themselves are in no way the best parts ever. In every other respect -- parts quality, build quality, design -- there are Hori sticks that are either objectively superior or subjectively superior.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Jedah » 04 Feb 2009 13:35

Jedah, you are sounding like a NeoGAF kid now. This is because it is obvious that you know very little about arcade sticks, and yet still proceed to speak as loudly and with as much certainty as if you were an expert. So please tone it down.

What are the requirements for someone to be an arcade stick expert?
I own 3 arcade sticks, I've played games in arcades, I have read what the experts said in Shoryuken forums, that's how I have made up my mind to spend nearly 200 euros to get one of these sticks (which of course is the best thing after buying the whole cabinet). Do the experts in Shoryuken forums sound like Neogaf (I have never visited this site but I suppose it was used as depreciatory) kids?

If you take a look at it, you will realize that I'm just happy I can buy a proper arcade stick without importing it from Asia (thus avoiding large transfer costs and many days of waiting). At last.

Why should Capcom of Japan have created an arcade stick? Capcom of Japan makes games, not controllers.

You are taking everything literally. I didn't mean that the same persons that make the games should make the stick. I'm saying Capcom of Japan should try and get in contact with the proper companies and do the same actions in order to come up with something like the T.E. stick. Instead all the job is done by Americans, which is of course a not-so-good thing because their Vewlix identical arcade stick is uglier than Japanese Horis.
Jedah

Unread postby Recap » 04 Feb 2009 13:52

While far from perfect, I personally like the button layout in the Madcatz SFIV model more than the RAP current standard.

So are the Madcatz sticks coming to Europe officially?
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Feb 2009 14:02

Sigh.

Jedah wrote:What are the requirements for someone to be an arcade stick expert?

1. Understanding that to say that the TE stick has "the same parts as the arcade" doesn't make sense. Only a completely ignorant person would say this -- because "the arcade" doesn't exist. It's all about a wide range of cabinets and a wide range of sticks and buttons that can be mixed and matched in nearly infinite combinations. THAT is the arcade.

2. Understanding that ease of modding is NOT the most important factor in commercial joystick quality. It is only ONE factor among others, and for people who are good at modding hardly even worth discussing.

3. Understanding that Capcom of Japan doesn't make arcade sticks.

4. Understanding that being "happy I can buy a proper arcade stick without importing it from Asia" has absolutely FUCK-ALL to do with stick quality. (This reminds me of the SFIV thread, where you wanted us to stop bitching about the game because you were "happy that there will be a port that you can play on your 360", by the way.)

5. Being more informed than you are, in which case you would not be posting stupid shit like this:

Jedah wrote:I'm saying Capcom of Japan should try and get in contact with the proper companies and do the same actions in order to come up with something like the T.E. stick.

http://www.hori.jp/products/multi/contr ... er4_stick/

What bugs me here is not your ignorance, but the CERTAINTY and the LOUDNESS with which you proclaim your ignorant views. There is nothing I despise more in this world than ignorant people who are being outspoken. So please drop it. If you know very little about a subject you should either not post at all, or if you post do so quietly and humbly and ask questions when you are not 100% sure of something. Don't fucking go around proclaiming that the TE stick KICKS THE NUTS LOLLLLOOERZ!!!111 of the Hori stick if you can't even fucking tell the difference between different cabs/stick manufacturers/Capcom and Hori/et cetera, et cetera et fucking cetera.

P.S.

And please let's just put an end to this here. There is enough bullshit in this thread already -- let's not turn it into NeoGAF.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Feb 2009 14:12

Recap wrote:While far from perfect, I personally like the button layout in the Madcatz SFIV model more than the RAP current standard.

This is another thing that Jedah doesn't understand, being the arcade stick noob that he is. Button placement, like stick and button model, is a very personalized preference. To say that the TE stick has objectively better button placement, or an objectively better stick model, than a top RAP is absurd. In what way then does the TE stick "kick the RAP sticks in the nuts?" What stick make does the TE use? Is it Sanwa or Seimitsu? Whatever the case may be, if you prefer the other company you are better off buying either a Sanwa Hori or a Seimitsu Hori.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby burnsro » 04 Feb 2009 14:28

icycalm wrote:This comparison chart has been posted on a number of message boards, but no one actually bothered to link the original page in which it was posted. I've spent the last 15 minutes trying to find it, to no avail. So I am just going to post it with no link. Goddamn lazy bastards. How hard can it be to post a fucking link while you are copy-pasting an entire page's worth of text?

Ah, you're quoting my post from IC. I searched for a bit myself but couldn't find the source before posting that. I searched a bit smarter again today and found them.

MarkMan's original post announcing the list.

The list on SDTekken.com

My apologies.
burnsro

Next

Return to Hardware