Moderator: JC Denton

Hard Drives

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Jul 2014 05:33

http://www.maximumpc.com/seagate_quietl ... samples889

Pulkit Chandna wrote:Seagate Quietly Begins Shipping 8TB HDD Samples

Pleased with initial feedback on ‘customer development units’

seagate_6tb.jpg
seagate_6tb.jpg (19.63 KiB) Viewed 4389 times

Seagate on Thursday reported its financial results for the fiscal fourth quarter and year ended June 27, 2014. The company exited the quarter with some decent numbers, reporting gross margin of 28 percent and net income of $320 million on quarterly revenue of $3.3 billion. But if we ever feel the urge to cast our mind back to the fourth quarter of company’s fiscal 2014, it’s more likely to be on account of the insanely large capacity enterprise hard drives it began shipping during the period than those numbers.

The quarter not only saw the introduction of a 6TB enterprise HDD from the storage maker but, as the Cupertino-based company revealed during its latest quarterly earnings call, it also began shipping out sample units of an 8TB drive it had alluded to during its previous quarterly earnings call.

“We have also delivered 8 terabyte customer development units to major customers and cloud service providers and the initial customer feedback has been very positive,” said Seagate’s CEO and chairman Steve Luczo on the call. “While it’s still early in the development of our Kinetic object-based storage platform, we are in deep technical discussions with a very broad-base of enterprise customers. We believe our focus on developing key values for object-based storage will make the Kinetic platform a differentiated offering in the cloud storage marketplace.”

Follow Pulkit on Google+

The image they used seems to be of a 6TB drive, which is already surprising to me since I've never heard of such a capacity. I have two 4TB drives and I thought it was the current ceiling. Really cool news anyway. I'd love a couple of these drives in my system.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Hardware