Games

[PS4] DriveClub

Moderator: JC Denton

[PS4] DriveClub

Unread postby dinopoke » 21 Feb 2013 05:14

logo.jpg
logo.jpg (24.73 KiB) Viewed 44263 times

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-p ... 1100-4583/

A new racing title from MotorStorm developers Evolution Studios, which includes numerous social features and challenges. While little in-game action was shown, game director Matt Southern made much ado about the game's visual prowess, and the experience of getting into a virtual car.

Announce Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL-KFJpbxCw
dinopoke

Unread postby icycalm » 26 May 2013 22:38

icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ingolfr » 06 Jun 2013 17:27

PlayStation Conversations with Creators (Dev Diary):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-R6pR9Hfuw
ingolfr

Unread postby Amor fati » 18 Jun 2013 12:12

Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 22 Aug 2013 20:03

New screens:

dc8.jpg

dc9.jpg

dc3.jpg

dc6.jpg

dc7.jpg

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/driveclub ... aunch.html

DriveClub isn’t running at 60 frames per second yet, but Evolution is still hoping to hit the frame rate in time for launch, the studio told VideoGamer.com today.

When asked for an update on the frame rate at Gamescom, game director Col Rodgers told us that DriveClub is still “targeted 60 frames”.

“So the build that you’ll be seeing on the show floor at Gamescom is locked at 30 [FPS], added design director Paul Rustchynsky. “We’re still aiming towards [60 FPS]. We’re still in development. We’ve still got a few months to go.”

He continued: “We’ve built the physics systems and all the light systems so that they can cope with potentially any frame rate. We didn’t want to lock ourselves down early on. We wanted to give ourselves some flexibility with that in mind, so we’ve got the option potentially.”

DriveClub is due to launch alongside PlayStation 4 on November 29. A free PlayStation Plus Edition will be available to all PlayStation Plus subscribers.

New trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS1VSkbvWEg

Gamescom demo footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyExJci1eHc

Hopefully this will be as good as Bizarre Creation's work which it is inspired by:

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/t ... try9437173

McSpeed wrote:Unfortunately I didn't get to play the latest build at Gamescom yesterday, but seeing the game in action and attending a presentation (featuring Rushy and colleagues), I'm really convinced this will be an amazing racing game.

When I first got my hands on it at E3 this year, it felt like PGR for the PlayStation - and developers said to me how that was one of their favorite games and a major inspiration. To be honest, that's exactly what I'm looking for in a racing game. There's plenty of both dedicated track and free-roaming racing games out there at the moment. I look forward to something that takes place in amazing environments all around the world on closed roads.

Game-wise, Driveclub is the sole reason for me to want a PS4 on launch day. Especially with the likeliness of having millions of online players within weeks thanks to the PS Plus deals. Can't wait for that to happen.
Amor fati

Unread postby movie » 27 Aug 2013 00:55

movie

Unread postby infernovia » 15 Sep 2013 08:35

Footage: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/09/ ... ransition/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aWOwPwHGEA

Check out the latest in the series of our #DRIVECLUB direct feed videos. This time, we showcase the dynamic shift in the time of day, set against the stunning Salar de Surire in Chile between 18:00 and 21:00.

13 things we’d like you to know about this video:

• If you’d like to see a version of the video with significantly higher image quality than shown on YouTube (and a closer representation of how the game looks on PS4), you’ll be able to download the 1080p video online soon.
  • The time of day is accelerated by x60, which is why the video covers from 6pm – 9pm in Chile in just three laps. Accelerating the speed of time is something you can choose to adjust before you race and it’s also why the sunlight disappears so quickly at 1:58. :-)
  • Design Director Paul Rustchynksy is the driver. He’s using a Thrustmaster “T80 DRIVECLUB Edition” wheel, which explains why his last lap (in first person racing view) is the fastest.
  • The video was captured in one take from a version of the game still in development. Optimisations to the visual quality of the game are made every day, so while there are lots of impressive details on show you may also spot some things we’re still working on – like improving the anti-aliasing for certain assets and making sure that nothing pops in to view.
  • We decided to show this time trial event with on-screen display disabled, because lots of people wanted to see this and it’s something you can choose to configure in the game. We noticed that when we did this, the game still plays the sound effects for Overdrives, so we’re fixing this.
  • Not only do we model every car in staggering detail inside and out, we go to great lengths with the environments too. Check out the observatory tower at 1:47 and 2:37!
  • The way that we have captured each car’s distinctive audio is evident here because we’ve disabled the in-game soundtrack music, but we’ve actually just made further improvements to the quality of the audio in the game today (and fixed the backfire so that you can hear it properly on the Audi R8 V10 Plus), so it’s still getting better.
  • All lights illuminate the environment authentically. The dashboard fully illuminates, so you can see the glow of the buttons in the control panel above the rear-view mirror and you can see the reflections in the windscreen and the driver’s window. Similarly, you’ll notice that the brake light illuminates the car’s active spoiler in the first two laps. Hopefully this will draw your eye away from the glitch with the car’s tyre smoke (which is missing) and excessive anti-aliasing on the Audi’s bevelled rear window frame… which we are of course still developing.
  • The reflector lights (cats eyes/snake eyes) on the safety barriers surrounding the track reflect light authentically too. You can see this most clearly at 02:30.
  • Ghost cars (and opponent cars) are all fully realised in the rear-view mirrors, but there’s currently a small glitch that makes them render incorrectly when the sun goes down. This will be improved by launch.
  • The crowds release balloons throughout the race. The balloons should react authentically to the wind and light up correctly at night – and appear less frequently too – but the game is still in development after all.
  • There’s a tiny portal to another dimension (aka a glitch in the world) at 0:32. We’ve fixed it in the game already.
  • The sky is clear of clouds so that you can see the stars twinkling up above. This won’t always be the case; you can choose how clear or cloudy the sky is when you set-up a race and it will be uniquely generated every time. On the occasions when the fog rolls in and you can only see the tips of those mountains in the distance… and the cars in front are casting long shadows towards you as the sun rises or sets on the horizon… and you’re breezing through it all 150mph… it’s utterly sensational!
infernovia

Unread postby Heell » 19 Oct 2013 11:09

DriveClub delayed to early 2014, Contrast replaces it as a free PS Plus title.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/ ... ub-update/

DriveClub Update

SCE Worldwide Studios and the team at Evolution Studios have made the difficult decision to delay the release of DriveClub and DriveClub PlayStation Plus Edition until early 2014. DriveClub will be a truly innovative, socially connected racing game, but the team requires more time in order to deliver on their vision — and I’m fully confident the game will surpass your expectations.

This decision also affects PlayStation Plus members’ Instant Game Collection for launch. To be clear, DriveClub PlayStation Plus Edition will still be part of the Instant Game Collection when it is released. For the PS4 launch, in addition to Resogun, I’m pleased to announce that Contrast, the highly anticipated game from Compulsion Games will also be available to PlayStation Plus members for free as part of Instant Game Collection. If you’re not aware of Contrast, it will whisk you away to a surreal vaudevillian, film-noir inspired reality full of performance, intrigue, shadow-play and drama. Please check out the trailer below. I’m sure you’ll agree that it is unlike anything you will have played before.

We’re also offering members access to an exclusive “Open Weekend” trial of Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer on December 28-29.

We understand that the delay is disappointing news, but can assure you that the reason we have made this decision is to ensure that when DriveClub launches, it will realize the next-gen racing vision. And PlayStation 4 gamers will have no shortage of titles to play this year. At launch alone, we have Killzone Shadow Fall, Knack, Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag, FIFA 14, Call of Duty: Ghosts, and Battlefield 4 to name but a few, as well as the incredible list of indie games coming to PS4. A broad portfolio of games will be available on PS4 before the end of the year, and with games such as Infamous Second Son, The Order 1886, Destiny, Watch Dogs and now DriveClub coming next year, the strength of the software line-up on PS4 is unprecedented.

DriveClub is a really ambitious racing title and the game is looking stunning. The extra time we’re giving the team means the visuals and overall experience are only going to get better. We can assure you that it will be worth the wait.
Heell

Unread postby Amor fati » 02 May 2014 16:56

http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/29/drivecl ... -released/

Dave Cook wrote:Today, Sony confirmed that Driveclub will launch on PS4 from October 7 in North America, October 8 in Europe, and October 10 across the UK.

In an update on PS Blog EU, Yoshida explained, “We planned for the game to be ready for early 2014 and are committed to delivering on our ambitious promise of creating a truly innovative, socially connected racing game.

“The problem with being ambitious is you have to be prepared to accept there will be challenges along the way. What Driveclub offers has not been previously achieved in this category and because of this, the team needed more time to give you the game you’re waiting for.”

Yoshida also welcomed the arrival of new game director Paul Rustchynsky in February, who has since steered the game through its additional months in development.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/04/ ... studios-2/

Paul Rustchynsky wrote:I know we have been quiet for a while since we made the decision to delay the game, so I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know exactly why the team felt that DRIVECLUB needed more development. We wanted to make sure we got one important feature right.

The dynamic menu is key to how much fun you’re going to get out of the game because it is the glue that connects you to everyone else in the DRIVECLUB community. Whenever you fire up the game; between every race you play, and when you log in to DRIVECLUB on your phone or tablet, the dynamic menu has to be slick to ensure your experience is seamlessly connected. Essentially it’s where you discover what to play, and who to play with.

It’s also absolutely vital to our ambition of growing a vibrant network of millions of connected clubs, who all share the excitement of driving amazing cars together. Whether they play just to have fun, or to complete every challenge and beat their rivals in every race, it’s this connected community who will keep the game fresh and enjoyable well after launch, so it makes sense for the connectivity to be perfect.

No racing title has ever combined the development of a socially charged, multi-platform dynamic menu with all the other connected online elements that DRIVECLUB delivers. We know that what we are creating here is hugely ambitious and we’re proud of the fact that we’re getting close now because we’re a relatively small studio. The progress we’re making is great, so I’m looking forward to showing you more as development continues and prove that all the hard work has been worth it.

While that work goes on, the rest of the team here is relentless when it comes to exploiting the power and confidence of the PS4, so we’re also raising the bar even higher across other aspects of the game including:

■ Visuals – We’re constantly improving how stunning the game looks as we continue to optimise visuals and find new ways of pushing the PS4. You can see for yourself how it looks right now in the latest video we shared yesterday because all the footage was captured on PS4 from the game. It’ll look even better in October.

■ Audio – It’s absolutely state of the art. We’re continuing to refine the authentic sounds that we have for each and every car in the game and we’re going to put together videos that focus on this.

■ Driving – It already feels great to play and we’re continuing to add further layers to the physics to make it both more accessible for everybody and more sophisticated for experienced racers.

■ Clubs – We’re making it easier for you to keep up to speed with what’s going on in your club as part of the rework on the dynamic menus. We’ve also tweaked clubs to support up to 6 players instead of 12 (because the game is more fun with tightly-knit clubs and it paves the way for awesome 6 on 6 club races).

■ Tour – The difficulty curve for the campaign mode is becoming even smoother as we continue to optimise the vehicle handling and also refine the game’s AI for non-player racers.

■ Cars & Tracks – More time means more staggeringly detailed cars and exciting tracks too. If you haven’t already, check out the Ferrari in the video released yesterday. There are loads more exciting cars for us to reveal in the coming months.

I’d also like to confirm that the PS Plus Edition of the game will be available on the same day as the full release. Offering a selection of cars and tracks from the complete version, we think it’s the perfect way for those new to the genre to get an idea of what the full DRIVECLUB experience is all about.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/30/drivecl ... pens-next/

Dave Cook wrote:One stance that has changed is the game’s display, which now sits in 1080p at 30 frames-per-second. It’s likely a non-issue for some, given the lavish presentation of the game’s screens and videos so far, but even Rustchynsky explains that the dip in frames allows the team to render such high-quality car models, track environments and sky boxes in motion. He then suggests that people look to fellow 30FPS title inFamous: Second Son as an example of what can be achieved visually.

In closing, I ask him to set out a new stall for those still concerned about the Driveclub delay. “It’s the Driveclub experience I think everyone wants to play,” he concludes. “I think that’s the message from me.

“It’s the driving experience for all – it’s not a simulation, it’s not arcade – it’s something that sits perfectly in the middle with these unique social elements, and I think that everyone who was excited for Driveclub, should still be excited about Driveclub now. When they see it, I think it’s going to blow them away in terms of visuals, and when they play it, I think the handling – again – is going to blow them away.

“I don’t think anyone should change their mind about Driveclub since last year, it’s still going to be the same vision, it’s just better than we ever could have imagined.”

dc11.jpg

dc12.jpg

dc13.jpg

dc16.jpg

dc17.jpg

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny3JYGXCmFg

Shame about the frame rate, but otherwise looks excellent especially the detailed environments the tracks are set in.
Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 22 May 2014 19:14

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/22/ ... ing-spirit?

Ryan McCaffrey wrote:I finally got a chance to play Sony's first-party PS4 racer for myself after a year of interviews, presentations, and delays, and I've been eager to do so because it reminds me of the Xbox's dormant Project Gotham Racing series. What do I mean by that? Basically, Driveclub gives off a similar gameplay vibe in that it seems like it straddles the line between an arcade racing game like Burnout (R.I.P.) and a serious sim like Gran Turismo.

I'm very happy to be right about my initial assessment. Playing on the India track (other courses are set in Scotland, Canada, Chile, and Norway, among others), I found that while you don't have to worry about tire pressures, suspension settings, or traction control, you do have to respect each car's unique capabilities, lest you be punished. Not only is it rather easy to slam into guard rails or veer off the track if you drive recklessly, but I quite like how Driveclub punishes you for doing so by subtracting the very DC points (aka Kudos if we stick with the PGR comparison) that you're rewarded with for good maneuvers, such as drifting or clean overtakes.

My initial impression is that Driveclub veers a smidge closer to the sim side of the track than PGR did, but you'll still be able to pull off some sick drifts through a big turn with enough practice. On a similar note, Evolution confirmed to me that car damage is purely cosmetic; you won't be left crippled during a race no matter how badly you mess up.

I raced in both the Ferrari F12berlinetta and the AMG SLS (as a longtime DeLorean owner, I have a soft spot for gull-wing doors). I like how your driver opens the door and gets into each car in the first-person perspective before each race, and the cockpit views are nice should you choose to utilize that camera. Draw distance is impressive, as are the leaves and flower petals that blow around the track. The sprinklers in the fields are a nice touch, too.

Meanwhile, up to six friends can race all night together in a party, while the game's Social Hub is a customized screen resting below every menu in the game that gives you a visual timeline of what your friends have been up to. It's not unlike Driveclub's own customized version of Facebook, minus the invasive privacy settings. I like how the game mixes in dynamic mini-objectives during races, too, such as stretches where whomever has the highest average speed gets more DC, or whomever pulls off the longest drift.

Driveclub seems to have polished up nicely, and the good news is that Evolution still has a few more months to throw on another coat of wax or two before the game gets into your hands. As a big-time PGR fan who's been waiting for a new racer to come in and fill the void left by the abandoned Xbox series, I'm more excited for Driveclub's arrival than ever.

dc19.jpg

dc22.jpg

dc20.png

dc18.jpg

dc21.jpg

Canada footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DKb5i9gXf8
India footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tukq2e17sw
Developer interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JERdfYV1Mo
Developer Q & A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sB3B7k7hbY

From the Q & A it seems they are still working on rain and snow a la PGR4 but the aurora borealis is featured in the Norway, Canada and Scotland settings.
Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 11 Jun 2014 19:56

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/drive ... ageIndex=2

Jeff Marchiafava wrote:DriveClub May Be Gaming's Most Advanced Weather Simulator

During a hands-off demo, Evolution Studios showed off how big of an impact DriveClub's advanced weather simulation has on racing.

Evolution started the demo by reiterating that the nearly yearlong delay is being used to boost DriveClub's social elements, making the game as seamless and connected as possible when racing with friends. The developer also confirmed that the game will run at 1080p and 30 frames per second. After showing off the game's new menu, which provides a constant feed of dynamic challenges and races, Evolution focused on a very specific aspect of the game that has a surprising effect on the feel of races: DriveClub's weather simulation.

In addition to featuring a day/night cycle with full real-time lighting and shadows, DriveClub also has an extensive weather system. The position of the sun is determined by the time of day and the real-world location of the track you're racing. Location also affects the type of weather you'll see; our first demo takes place on a winding track in Scotland, and the weather is appropriately misty and overcast. A large cloud bank blocks the sun, giving the track an eerily realistic muted look. Unlike most games, the clouds aren't merely a pretty skybox, but are fully simulated and different every time you play. They also move and mutate based on the direction and speed of the wind.

After a few minutes of driving, the developer turns up the precipitation until the drivers are caught in a full-on rainstorm. The feel of race changes along with the new weather, as visibility lowers and cars begin to kick up large clouds of mist on the road. As the rain increases, the roads become slick and shiny, and puddles form, reflecting everything in the environment, including cars, roadside flags, and rocks. The developer pauses the action and pans around the camera to show off how truly impressive the effects are. He stresses that it's not just an illusion – the weather is being fully simulated across the entire mountain that the race is taking place on.

Another flip of the switch plunges the race into nighttime; the headlights of the racers bathe the reflective cars in bright light and illuminate the rain-slick road – again the racetrack has a different feel to it, and presents an even greater challenge. Once the rainstorm ends, Evolution says that the puddles will realistically evaporate based on the layout of the track and the wind.

Afterwards, the developer starts a race in Norway to show off DriveClub's snow effects. Like rain, snow accumulates realistically and affects driving conditions as well as visibility. At the height of the simulated storm it's nearly impossible to see the other cars on the road, which should make for some interesting challenges that players can create to test their friends.

Evolution says that the weather system will be added to the game sometime in 2014, along with a photo mode – after all, what good is beautiful weather if you can't share pictures of it with your friends?

DC25.jpg

DC26.jpg

DC32.jpg

DC29.jpg

dc36.jpg

E3 2014 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF75_VkdeY0
E3 stage demo with commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHqoRztLlW8

Good to see rain and snow is part of the game; the snowstorm sounds epic.
Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 14 Aug 2014 18:19

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/games/14 ... lease-date

Seth Barton wrote:As expected Driveclub made an appearance at Sony's press conference at Gamescom. It had already been announced that the dynamic weather system will be launched after the games initial release in October, alongside a photo mode so you can snap great-looking shots to share online; but it was those two features that took centre stage in the presentation.

The dynamic weather effects, and the game in general looked stunning, with a slightly washed out, gritty detail about it that we far prefer over the more saturated hues of Forza Horizon 2 (though as an open world game you can't compare the two like-for-like admittedly). The rain came down in sheets, and you could see every drop when the developer froze the action and span around the car in the photo mode. For a bravo moment they took the camera up through the thick clouds above the race and broke into the sunshine above, showing that all those clouds, and the light coming through them, are properly modelled.

Driveclub also pushed its social credentials once again. With a demo showing how multiple players were kept aware of each other achievements, and the rewards that everyone in the shares from them. They also talked about, though didn't demo, an app that will let you keep abreast of what your club are up to, and even watch a livestream of them racing.

Seth Barton wrote:The handling has come on a long way since the initial demos. It feels a little on the realistic side of a typical arcade racer, and those who loved Metropolis Street Racer and later Project Gotham Racing should feel right at home, which includes us. The cars feel distinct too, we shot away from the pack uphill in a powerful, but lightweight Super BAC Mono in one race; but then laboured at the back in the next race as our drifty, overpowered Mercedes SLS AMG hit patches of ice in Norway.

POLAR BEAR CLUB

It all looks fantastic too, the handling model may not be super realistic, but the surroundings are largely down to earth, and full of enough detritus and odds and ends to give them a feel realistic feel. In Norway for example the snow was muddy and patchy, rather than in deep, luscious drifts.

It's worth noting at this point that Driveclub is to receive a dynamic weather system, where snow will fall as you race and build up on track, or it might be raining heavily at the start of a race but clear up before the end. This build isn't available to play yet though, and the weather won't make the current release date, but instead be a patch for soon after. It looks stunning in demos though, and it's a sign of how Sony views Driveclub as more a continuing project than a single disc release - though how you feel about that, and how we pay for extra content in the future is still an issue for some.

dc37.jpg

dc39.jpg

dc41.jpg

dc42.jpg

dc44.png
dc44.png (259.92 KiB) Viewed 44064 times

Gamescom 2014 trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq-MFP-9P-Y
Gamescom 2014 demo including weather: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMuxE58zfuo
Norway footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP7AormW5Ak
India footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eigHPLzU4k

Looks quite photorealistic from the rain demo.
Amor fati

Unread postby shubn » 02 Oct 2014 22:24

shubn

Unread postby Amor fati » 31 Dec 2014 13:05

I have played this recently and would rate it as a three-star game. The graphics are simply the most photorealistic yet due to the lighting although there is some variation between tracks. The rain and snow are stunning surpassing Project Gotham Racing 4. The AI gives a good sense of competition albeit with a degree of rubber banding meaning the game is forgiving to mistakes. The handling is solid with an understeer bias which diminishes with the faster categories of cars. The drifting is thus weak which makes the drift events the worst in the game. The track designs are a mix of circuits and point-to-point and are quite good with frequent elevation changes. The single-player tour mode is well set out with little track repetition but takes until the professional events to present a challenge. The additional DLC tours are all good especially the Elements tour where rain and snow occur dynamically adding to the challenge. The music fits well and the car sounds seem fine. The fame counter tracking your actions a la PGR works well and gives points to level up and unlock cars and liveries. The club aspect adds little just giving extra unlocks and challenges to do besides racing on the same team online. The Face-Offs are like the tasks in Outrun 2’s Heart Attack mode integrated into the events albeit blander. Overall it is a good game and worth playing if you enjoyed the Project Gotham Racing series.
Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 28 Oct 2015 15:18

dcblogo.jpeg
dcblogo.jpeg (11.91 KiB) Viewed 42777 times

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/10/ ... -ps-store/

Keeping our superbike obsession a secret has been really hard! Normally we prefer to keep you up to speed with how DRIVECLUB is always evolving around you, but we also like to surprise you every now and then too. When better to do that than during one of the biggest games shows in the world!?

We’ve been pouring our hearts into the ongoing development of DRIVECLUB over the past year and BIKES is a standalone expansion to the DRIVECLUB universe.

We’re massive racing fans at Evolution and we love the challenge and the thrill of superbike racing, but we’ve always wanted to make them more approachable and fun, whilst still retaining the depth of control and authenticity you’d expect from us. With DRIVECLUB BIKES we think we’ve accomplished that, so that everyone can enjoy riding these breath-taking superbikes.

The incredible speed and superb agility of high-performance superbikes offers a completely new way to race, and as always with DRIVECLUB, there’s a lot to play for, whether you ride offline or online with your club.

12 of the world’s best superbikes: Featuring bikes from top manufacturers including Yamaha, Ducati, Kawasaki, Honda, BMW and more.

■ Full BIKES Tour campaign: We’ve designed a new game mode and loads of events to help you get to grips with bikes and ultimately challenge you to master every superbike in the game.

■ Unlimited Challenges: Create and compete in new challenges to show off and test your speed, agility and skills with bikes.

■ Personalised events: Create your own events on any track, in any mode, at any time and with near limitless weather conditions.

■ Multiplayer racing: Take advantage of the extra space on every track with opportunities to overtake on every corner in heated wheel to wheel action.

■ Customisation: Personalize your bikes and your rider, including paint jobs, rider leathers and custom helmets.

■ Clubs: Everything you do in DRIVECLUB BIKES contributes to the success of your Club, unlocking new rewards, accolades, customisation and challenges.

There’s a lot to play for and there’s even a second Platinum Trophy to chase down, which means that DRIVECLUB now features more trophies to unlock than any other PlayStation game in history!

We’ll have more news on the upcoming updates next week but in the meantime come ride with us! You can buy DRIVECLUB BIKES starting today from PlayStation Store as a standalone game for £15.99/€19.99. If you’re already a DRIVECLUB member, you can add on DRIVECLUB BIKES at a discount for £11.99/€14.99.

dcb1.jpg
dcb1.jpg (43.18 KiB) Viewed 42777 times

dcb2.jpg
dcb2.jpg (45.02 KiB) Viewed 42777 times

dcb3.jpg
dcb3.jpg (56.92 KiB) Viewed 42777 times

dcb4.jpg
dcb4.jpg (15.52 KiB) Viewed 42777 times

dcb5.jpg
dcb5.jpg (27.65 KiB) Viewed 42777 times

Launch trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLx4lW1cjdI
Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 04 Nov 2015 17:03

Just finished the Bikes Tour and it’s of the same quality as the base game (four stars not the three I originally gave it in a previous post). As with the cars, the bikes have an understeer bias and there is rubber banding AI. The skill events involving wheelies and stoppies replace the drift events and I prefer them overall. Most disappointing is the lack of modelled crashes with a crash resulting in the game’s logo coming on screen before resetting the bike. Overall it is not quite as good as the bike events in PGR4 but still worth playing.
Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 22 Mar 2016 20:17

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... -evolution

Wesley Yin-Poole wrote:It's going from bad to worse for the UK video game development industry. After Microsoft closed down Fable maker Lionhead, Sony has now closed down Driveclub developer Evolution.

In a statement Sony said it would try to move some staff onto other projects, but redundancies are expected.

Evolution, based in Runcorn, suffered a round of layoffs in 2015 as Sony shifted focus to updating Driveclub as a service. Now, Sony has taken the next step and shuttered the studio.

Here's the statement in full:

Regular reviews take place throughout SCE Worldwide Studios, ensuring that the resources that we have in such a competitive landscape can create and produce high quality, innovative and commercially viable projects.

As part of this process we have reviewed and assessed all current projects and plans for the short and medium term and have decided to make some changes to the European studios structure.

As a result, it has been decided that Evolution Studio will close.

It is regrettable that this decision will lead to compulsory redundancies. We accept that this decision will mean that we risk losing high calibre staff but by focusing on other Studios that already have exciting new projects in development we believe we will be in a stronger position going forward and able to offer the best possible content of the highest quality for our consumers.

Where possible we will try to reallocate people onto other projects. If appropriate opportunities are not possible within the company, we will assist staff in any way we can, including speaking with local employers and with other development companies.

Evolution has been an important part of SCE Worldwide Studios for over 10 years - working on ground-breaking racing titles like WRC, Motorstorm and DRIVECLUB.

This decision should not take anything away from the great work that Evolution has produced.

Driveclub was announced as a PS4 launch title, but was delayed to 2014. It suffered a disastrous launch that meant it was unplayable for many. The PS Plus Edition was pushed back as Evolution and Sony fought to improve matters.

But since then Evolution has done a good job of updating the PlayStation 4 racer - to the point where it's now considered one of the best racing games available.

The closure also comes as something of a surprise given Evolution was working on a PlayStation VR version of Driveclub that was only recently demoed to press. It seems likely this has now been canned. We've asked Sony for more.
Amor fati

[PS4] DriveClub VR

Unread postby Amor fati » 29 Jul 2016 18:56

dcvr.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... -vr-launch

Martin Robinson wrote:Evolution Studios may be no more, but we're still going to be treated to one final hurrah for the team with DriveClub VR being confirmed as a PlayStation VR title.

The news comes via a blog post on the official PlayStation blog in Japan, with Evolution Studios' former employee Paul Rustchynsky confirming its launch on Twitter - as well as confirming the existence of new tracks in DriveClub VR. It'll also feature 3D audio, and will be a full-priced release.

As a launch title, DriveClub VR will be out on October 13 alongside Sony's new peripheral. We had a brief look at DriveClub VR last October, and were impressed with what we saw - thanks to a neat trick employed by many VR devs, the game runs at 60fps which is then 'upscaled' to 120fps on the headset, making for a smooth experience.

dcvr1.jpg

dcvr2.jpg

dcvr3.jpg

Should be the killer app for PlayStation VR.
Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 21 Aug 2016 18:48

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/08 ... tation-vr/

While we normally like to keep everyone in the Driveclub community up to speed on any developments, we’ve had to keep this one under the hood…until now. So before Gamescom 2016 kicks-off tomorrow and you have the chance to get hands on with the game, we’re very proud to officially announce that Driveclub VR is launching in 2016 exclusively on PlayStation VR.

We’ve been working tirelessly on Driveclub VR for over a year now, to bring you the definitive and most immersive Driveclub experience possible.

■ Game modes: Online virtual reality multiplayer race modes and an action-packed single player career are joined by drifting and time trial challenges

■ Tracks: New and classic Driveclub tracks are brought to life through the power of PlayStation VR, including five all-new Urban locations

■ A closer look: Every car is recreated with immaculate detail for players to explore up close with Inspection Mode

■ Cruise control: A little time to kick back, open the throttle or just coast and explore any track, in any country at your leisure in Cruise Mode.

■ Virtual passenger: An immersive thrill ride through exciting replays of hot laps as players watch themselves handle their greatest challenges from a unique viewpoint in Passenger Mode.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... iveclub-vr

John Linneman wrote:On the face of it, a racing game on PlayStation VR shouldn't stand a chance against a high-powered PC coupled with Oculus Rift or HTC Vive, but after playing DriveClub VR at Gamescom this week, our viewpoint has shifted. Simply put - this is the most immersive racing game we've played in VR to date. From Assetto Corsa to Dirt Rally all the way to Project Cars, it's clear that the gorgeous visual design of the original DriveClub allows the game to stand above its more technically demanding peers. It's a classic case of software design triumphing over hardware limitations.

Sitting down in front of a force feedback wheel, we quickly adjusted the very comfortable PSVR unit and was immediately thrust into the cockpit of a beautiful Ferrari FF grand tourer. The first thing that sticks out is the quality of the cockpit itself - the materials and modelling here remain as detailed and impressive as the original release, but now with a genuine sense of place. Technically speaking, a game like Project Cars is certainly capable of displaying more detailed, technically demanding visuals, but one look around the cockpit is enough to demonstrate the gulf in technical artistry - there is simply an element of refinement and realism on display in DriveClub VR that does credit to the sheer quality of Evolution's original work.

Then we look out across the track - yes, the fidelity of the PSVR headset is certainly a step down from the Rift or Vive, but it quickly shoots to the back of your mind once you hit the accelerator. The weight of the car and the way this is communicated within the game gives it a feeling that genuinely took me by surprise. It feels supremely natural and really gives the impression that you're sitting in a car. I've spent a lot of time with some of the best PC VR racers and the virtual cockpit always felt 'off', a driving 'uncanny valley' of sorts, in a way that DriveClub does not.

dcvrcover.jpg
dcvrcover.jpg (23.29 KiB) Viewed 42787 times

dcvr6.jpg

dcvr5.jpg

dcvr7.png

dcvr8.png

Gamescom footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkPSZMFYSzk

Looking good.
Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 14 Oct 2016 14:38

Amor fati

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Jan 2017 04:36

This looks more like an "expansion" to me than a brand-new game. I mean, it is stand-alone, like PA: Titans, but perhaps not too far off the original game to be considered a distinct title? Wikipedia at least doesn't have a special page for it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driveclub#Driveclub_VR

Let me know what you think, and if you agree I'll merge this thread into the Driveclub thread.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Amor fati » 02 Jan 2017 14:22

I would keep it separate. DriveClub Bikes which is available as an expansion or standalone and has a separate trophies list (how I would classify a separate title as opposed to a DLC expansion e.g. WipEout HD’s Fury expansion) is integrated within the original game’s interface when bought as an expansion and all progress in terms of fame points is concurrent although the trophies and tour mode are separate. DriveClub VR is completely separate from the original game by contrast just like any other title with a separate trophies list, no fame progress carried over and a new tour mode. The tracks are all the same (with a few new ones that were later added to the original in an update) albeit cut down graphically to run at a higher frame rate and the car list is similar with slightly less cars in total. There is no cross-play between the original and the VR game. It also can only be played with the PSVR headset (no headset connected means the game will not run) whereas the original cannot (apart from PSVR’s Cinematic Mode) and lastly the VR game had a separate physical disc release.
Amor fati

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Jan 2017 18:22

All the stuff that you say is the same with PA: Titans, but they are both clearly updates. Entirely new achievements, no crossplay, yadda yadda -- you just don't seem to understand the reason I prefer to keep expansions and slight modifications (like e.g. all of a fighting game's upgraded versions) in a single thread. You are giving me all of these pedantic reasons and are missing the heart of the matter: that there are not enough differences between the titles to warrant two separate threads for them.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Jan 2017 18:41

Here's another way to see it. When these games get reviewed, the original will get a full review, and the expansion will get a couple of paragraphs at best. See the difference with genuinely separate titles?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Amor fati » 02 Jan 2017 20:51

Ok, I see your point. Merge the threads.
Amor fati

Next

Return to Games