default header

Games

[PC] [PS4] [ONE] [VAR] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby recoil » 01 Oct 2015 08:10

S.A. Renegade wrote:Mostly in the area of the general stealth gameplay, I would say that this is the best Metal Gear yet (we had already confirmed as much by playing Ground Zeroes, so it's no surprise). The engine, controls, enemy behaviors and interactions are all extremely polished and good. There are a lot of cool things and details here.

Just for this stuff alone I would give the game a 4/5. The detail on the characters and all the ways you can fuck with them is just entertaining.

The mission structure and the bland environments get a point knocked off. There's some good moments and environments in the important story missions, but lots of missions don't live up to these story missions and even missions in Ground Zeroes. If you're expecting this one to be like 1, 2, 3 and 4, you're going to be disappointed. It's more like an expanded Peace Walker without the co-op.
recoil

Unread postby El Chaos » 02 Oct 2015 03:18

It's a bit of a waste that Renegade doesn't try to finish a mission after having been discovered, at least for the first attempt. There are some pretty fun firefights exclusive to main missions, and there's already a convenient option for starting the whole mission from scratch on a game over.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby El Chaos » 18 Oct 2015 15:04

Nvidia's graphics & performance guide: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides ... ance-guide
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Mar 2017 14:56

Insomnia review (same as SA review, posted earlier): http://culture.vg/reviews/in-depth/meta ... 5-ps4.html

Shakesman's review:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BertieWoos ... ed/287700/

William Shakesman wrote:In this game you play a one-eyed madman with a robotic arm building up an island nation staffed only by an army with a fanatical devotion to him. Said madman has a pet wolf, a comely super-powered lady henchman, and more tanks, guns, and battle robots than you can shake a stick at. And he's building a thermonuclear device.

Kojima somehow made this boring. Instead, it plays like some incredibly tedious collect-a-thon married to a bunch of awful mobile game timer ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥t. Sure, Solid Snake controls like a dream and the shooting feels quite good, but giant sandbox is incredibly boring. The levels are all the same, and it's obvious why they are so boring once you realize the stealth mechanics are quite weak (Walls do not stop sound, so when you see that you realize why there are no meaningful interiors to sneak through).

The demo, Ground Zeroes, turns out to be better than the full game simply due to the fact that it has no grind and its one level and six missions are consistently more interesting than TPP's tranq-n-fulton grind.

Oh, and it's supposed to be unfinished but it really isn't. The plot was going nowhere and the only thread that was left dangling would have just led to a rehash of the game's only boss fight in one extra mission.

For the record, it sounds like a 4/5 to me too, but until I play the game myself I'll have to go with the estimation of the dudes whose reviews I am publishing.

I don't think it's a matter of difference of opinion either. These dudes played this game for hundreds of hours, they just don't know how to use the rating system properly. But until I play the game myself to make sure, I'll have to be cautious and go with their rating.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Apr 2017 23:31

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... t233269260

LordKano wrote:I strongly disagree. The Ubisoft-like structure of Horion Zero Dawn would have compromised the profound gameplay of MGSV. It needs open areas, without constant interruptions in the environment. It's bland if you look at it from the perspective of a traditional open-world, but it's not supposed to be that. It's not a world you're supposed to explore, its only purpose is to give you freedom to infiltrate in specific places. And it does that wonderfully.

Interesting. It sounds like the sort of opinion I would have.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Previous

Return to Games