-Have to kill everyone now

11/10 would save more peasants.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ksevcov » 30 Jul 2015 20:51

ksevcov

Unread postby shubn » 07 Oct 2015 13:57

1444144487-en-hos-ep1-keyart.jpg

Hearts of Stone Expansion DLC Launch Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJOIPMerih4
Download HQ Trailer: http://www.gamersyde.com/download_the_w ... 53_en.html
shubn

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Feb 2017 07:20

Review: http://culture.vg/reviews/in-depth/the- ... 5-ps4.html

And some dude on NeoGAF who seems to have had a similar experience:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1347065

ProudClod wrote:LTTP: Witcher 3... Does it get good?

I purchased this game a while back when it was on sale, and finally decided to start playing it. I'm about 5 hours in, and I have to force myself to play it. GAF, where is this game you've been praising since its release? Is it hidden behind 20 more hours of gameplay?

1. The gameplay is pretty dull

Small enemy? Mash light attack until dead. Big enemy? Heavy attack, dodge, heavy attack dodge, heavy attack, dodge.

Parrying is pretty cool, but as someone who loves Soulsborne, it feels way too janky.

Magic is a joke. Maybe it gets good if you use all of your skill points levelling it up, or maybe it doesn't. But right now it feels like a totally underpowered, completely unnecessary afterthought.

2. The RPG systems are unnecessarily obtuse

Unlike the vast majority of open world RPGs, Witcher 3 does nothing to ease you into its gameplay systems. It gives you a short tutorial on combat, and then everything else is haphazardly explained through popups the first time you enter a menu.

By the time I actually want to use a feature, like crafting, it's been hours since I clicked through those popups and I have no idea where to even start. So, I can break down items for components? Which items? How do I break them down? What the fuck are specialties?

Worse yet, even games that are particularly infamous for messy design and confusing systems are much easier to navigate than this mess (e.g. Skyrim). Why did this game get a free pass?

3. The side quests are disappointing (so far)

After reading a thousand comments praising Witcher 3 for its excellent side quests, I'm pretty damn disappointed so far.

From an actual gameplay standpoint, they're all pretty much fetch quests. Sure, they have an added element of "investigation," which generally involves following footsteps or blood trails with your witcher senses and pressing X on anything that glows red... But 7 side-quests in, and I'm already annoyed at this silly mechanic.

The only saving grace, so far, is that these side-quests are a little bit deeper, story wise, than your average WRPG. But from what I've seen so far, they still don't hold a candle to the likes of New Vegas.

4. The main story isn't intriguing

Now, this could be because I haven't played the previous Witcher games, so I may not have the requisite emotional connection to the characters... But I really don't care about Geralt, or the sexy feminist sorceress, or the grown-up witcher child prodigy. The game has given me zero emotional context, and I'm just sort of expected to follow all of these characters around pretending I give a shit?

Even Fallout 4 had a more compelling plotline.

5. The world building is boring and lazy

Yes, it is dense and complicated. Yes, the morality of this world is awash with gray tones. And this would be really cool, IF the world was inherently interesting, or at the very least, if the exposition was done in a more interesting manner.

Instead, I have to run past hundreds of NPCs who I can't interact with and attempt to catch the subtitles that twitch sporadically above their head and read dozens of books I steal off of people's shelves--JUST to understand what the hell is happening around me.

---------------------------------

now, for a 40+ hour game, 5 hours is probably not representative. I really want to like this game, but I find it such a chore to boot it up nowadays.

So tell me GAF, did this game take a while to "click" with you? Or am I destined to dislike it, based on my initial thoughts?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 14 May 2017 08:38

I have struggled to find a good positive review of this game on Steam. All the highest-rated ones are shit, which is a huge red flag. Meanwhile, the highest-rated negative one, posted below, is extremely convincing and says the exact same things with Renegade and the NeoGAF dude quoted above. Add to that that William Shakesman, who reviewed Dragon's Dogma, doesn't seem to like it either, and it's hard to hold out any hope that the game is good. At most the truth might be somewhere between the two camps, in which case the game would just be average, and the reason these guys are so vehemently against it would be the massive positive hype, which would be bad criticism on the one hand, but understandable on the other.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656 ... ed/292030/

Draconis wrote:I'm trying so hard to like this game but I just keep getting bored, stopped and come back to it 4 or 5 times. I really wish I could enjoy this game as much as all the normies out there but I simply cannot.

This game has enough people sucking its♥♥♥♥♥♥so I'm going to give an emotion-free, objective review focusing on the many features that are really lacking in this game.

The gameplay is the worst part. a game with this much content would be a godsend if the gameplay involved in exploring such a massive world was actually fun. It's absolute f♥♥♥♥ing blasphemy to compare this gameplay to Dark Souls'. The monsters in this game are all exactly the same, even though they all have different skins, the same strategy defeats all of them easily. Spam left click, roll back to dodge their attack, rinse and repeat. It was fluid and cinematic enough that it was fun for the first 10 hours, but I got bored really quickly.

The game is also extremely easy, and that ruinned the roleplay. A fantasy adventure is fun and immersive when the monsters are actually scary and intimidating, but when you know that even when you're on the hardest difficulty you're going to instantly smash the bajesus out of that poor little monster instantly, there's no fun in it, and no immersion. The game was a breeze, and I had to bring the difficultly all the way up before I Was done with the tutorial.

The gameworld is an absolute attrocity, without a doubt the most overrated world I've ever encountered. Every square kilometer of Velen seems like it's the same bland flatland of trees and a bleak village with no scenic vistas or beautiful scenery in sight, and they copied and pasted it over the whole world 50 times. It's a great business move, it explains why the game was so low budget, because normie gamers only care about the size of a gameworld, not the quality or diversity of it. The roaming music is a decent tune but it's only ONE ♥♥♥♥ing song that plays on a loopback of the same 15 second verse, after hearing that same 15 second verse play for 40 hours my ears were bleeding.

Story is the only reason to play this game, but even that was a chore. People often whine about Dragon Age Inquisition being full of chory homework and fetch quests, but atleast those are optional in Inquisition, so I didn't do any of them. In this game they are all part of the main quest. Screw that goat that walks slow as a vegetable without a wheelchair, and BOY I am SO SICK OF USING MY WITCHER'S SENSES. CHORE CHORE CHORE CHORE.

If you want to play a next-gen Action RPG, play Dragon Age Inquisition, it's better in every way. Better graphics, that also run more efficiently and won't♥♥♥♥♥♥your FPS like The Witcher 3 does. It had a vastly superior gameworld, with much more beautiful scenery and lots and lots of roaming music that doesn't get repetitive, and is also much more beautiful. And the world is so much more diverse, with so many environments (Marshland, Desert, mountains, foothills, deep forests and jungles, coastal vistas, plains, hinterlands, lush river basins, etc.)

The environments are filled with monsters that are much more immersive to fight because they are ACTUALLY a challenge and will intimidate you. The Dragons are huge, epic, and brutal, and will kill you mercilessly, forcing you to go balls deep tactical in order to defeat it, using Dragon Age Inquisition's vastly superior party based combat that is so complicated, dynamic and engaging that it will keep you very interested and entertained for the whole 200 hour campaign, unlike TW3.

Last but not least Dragon Age Inquisition has a better story than TW3 as well. Quests like "Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts," "Here Lies the Abyss," and "What Pride Had Wrought" had such unbelievable atmosphere, they are the most immersive and mindblowing quests I've ever played in any game, and because of the epic atmosphere brought about by the vastly superior soundtrack in Inquisition, as well as the fact that the main character is a relatable human being who forms emotional bonds with your traveling companions, who are all very compelling, deeply written and well voice acted characters, whereas The Witcher 3 is about a robotic mutant who only helps others for money.

The First two witcher games had better stories and better gameplay, any given BioWare, Obsidian, or Larian RPG has better gameplay and story. I highly recommend next gen RPGs like Dragon Age Inquisition, Dark Souls 3, Divinity Original Sin, or Mass Effect Andromeda (OOOH!) over this game. Yes, I even liked Mass Effect Andromeda BETTER than The Witcher 3, because it had actual challenging and engaging gameplay, a gameworld with more than 1 kind of environment, making it actually fun to explore.

Perhaps I could have enjoyed this game if it wasn't so overhyped for me, but it's definitely one of the most overrated games I have played. I hope those of you who worship this game and drool over it's blandness enjoyed my review, I just want you to know that your opinions are not gospel. THERE ARE THOSE OF US WHO DIDN'T ENJOY THE WITCHER 3 and no it's not because we have no taste or are mentally ill. It's because we have different taste from you, now get out of you narcicistic bubbles you normies.

OVERRATED!/10
icycalm
Hyperborean

Previous

Return to Games