default header

Games

[PC] [PS4] [ONE] Project CARS

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] [PS4] [ONE] Project CARS

Unread postby Amor fati » 30 Jun 2013 18:52

cars_banner.png

http://www.wmdportal.com/projects/cars/

PROJECT CARS represents THE ULTIMATE DRIVER JOURNEY...

FRANCHISE MODE allows you to carve out a personalized career starting in the Karting world and then progressing on to whichever motorsport specialization you prefer including Rally, Touring Cars, Open-Wheel, GT, Le Mans, and many more!

Play CO-OP with a friend as Driver/Co-Driver

FULL TEAM MANAGEMENT... Have a large number of friends? Create, manage, and compete together!

Experience the excitement of PIT STOPS like you've never seen before!

Revolutionary PIT-2-CAR RADIO gives you the strategic advantage

DYNAMIC Time Of Day & Localized Weather make every race unique and challenging

10+ GAME MODES covering every form of motorsport

CLOUD-BASED SOCIAL NETWORK allows you to connect with friends, compare times & scores, compete and challenge each other, and share content

USER-GENERATED CONTENT - Create your own liveries, decals, tuning setups, and even events! Then share them with the world - either for free, in-game credits or even real money!

PUSHING TO THE LIMITS - Advanced physics, lighting, and AI

003.jpg

0031.jpg

002.jpg

035.png

0412.jpg

The Five trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCtiKDRvPW4

Waiting for the Dark trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aEl787aDP8
Last edited by Amor fati on 23 Jul 2015 18:18, edited 2 times in total.
Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 14 Jul 2013 17:37

Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 10 Nov 2013 17:41

cars_banner1.png
cars_banner1.png (184.88 KiB) Viewed 20611 times

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/pr ... -next-gen/

Today, Slightly Mad Studios are proud to announce that crowd-powered, AAA racing title Project CARS will be coming to three further gaming platforms in 2014.

Both Sony’s PlayStation 4 and Microsoft’s Xbox One consoles will see Project CARS racing onto them during 2014 as gaming enters the next generation with new benchmarks of graphical fidelity and technical power becoming possible and Project CARS aiming to set a new standard for virtual racing for motorsports and car fans around the world.

Furthermore, Project CARS will also be coming to Valve’s Steam OS, extending an existing partnership with Steam that has already allowed tens of thousands of WMD members the ability to download and play builds of the game during its development and allow specific multiplayer and social features that are only possible using this unique platform.

“Project CARS has always led the pack in terms of insane detail. Whether that’s graphically in the craftsmanship of our cars and tracks, technically in the way we’ve approached weather and time of day, or emotionally in how each car feels and responds to your touch. These powerful new platforms allow us therefore to not compromise on the quality of our vision and ultimately that means players are going to experience something truly breathtaking when they get behind the wheel.” - Ian Bell, Head Of Studio

Project CARS will be available for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Steam OS, PC, and Wii U starting Fall 2014.

400 to 600 trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6PuGRFWT0k
Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 24 Feb 2014 13:55

Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 08 Apr 2014 18:33

1856303_orig.png

Official website: http://www.projectcarsgame.com/

http://www.projectcarsgame.com/game-info.html

Project CARS is the most authentic, beautiful, intense, and technically-advanced racing game on the planet.

Create a driver, pick from a variety of motorsports, and shift into high gear to chase a number of Historic Goals and enter the Hall Of Fame. Then test your skills online either in competitive fully-loaded race weekends, leaderboard-based time challenges, or continually-updated community events.

Featuring world-class graphics and handling, a ground-breaking dynamic time of day & weather system, and deep tuning & pit stop functionality, Project CARS leaves the competition behind in the dust.

1668194_orig.jpg

1238907_orig.jpg

2809300_orig.jpg

6509248_orig.jpg

976532_orig.png

From The Sky trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRHWzFCZAjc
Sound Makes Everything trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw-XbK2IzS0

The game looks like it could be amazing and make the Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo series seem obsolete. I just hope the handling matches the rest of the game and is not as awful as in their Need for Speed games.
Amor fati

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Apr 2014 19:58

I've only played one Need for Speed, on PC circa 1998, so it may have been the third one. I even bought Microsoft's force feedback wheel for it, which I think debuted at around the same time. Can't say I had a problem with the handling, and the force feedback was a revelation, but then again I only played it for a few hours, if I remember correctly. But it's been a long time since then, and a lot of sequels have been released, so maybe the handling deteriorated, or then again maybe it never caught up with other series' superior standards. I have no idea.

What I do know is that I hate the name of this game. So amateurish. Everything else looks cool though.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby infernovia » 02 May 2014 07:17

infernovia

Unread postby Amor fati » 23 Jun 2014 18:41

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/th ... ject-cars/

Slightly Mad Studios is proud to announce a new partnership with the Automobile Club de l’Ouest, organizers of the world-famous 24 Hours of Le Mans, that will allow gamers to experience the world’s biggest motor race in Project CARS.

Players will be given the unique opportunity to tackle one of motorsport’s most daunting and challenging tasks, a high-speed race twice around the clock at day & night, rain or shine.

Project CARS will be the first racing game to properly simulate all the aspects that make the Le Mans 24 Hours one of the most challenging racing events in the world, as gamers will be given the chance to run the event in real-time, facing a full grid of 55 opponents on track.

On their way to the top spot of the podium, players have to dodge GT traffic at high speeds and fight the elements as Project CARS dynamic time-of-day & weather engine makes the virtual race twice around the clock every bit as unpredictable & challenging as the real event.

To ensure we capture all the essence of the legendary race in Project CARS, our development team is aided by no less than three race drivers that competed in last weekend’s edition of the event:

While Rene Rast and Oli Webb successfully raced each other and 16 competitors in the LMP2 class, finishing 3rd & 4th in class, Project CARS Physics & Handling Consultant Ben Collins was busy in the GTE class. Their experience will translate directly into the game, allowing all gamers to share the thrill of competing in this legendary event.

Going along with the track will be plenty of machinery that has shaped the history of the event, including Audi’s extremely successful 2002 Audi R8 & 2011 R18 TDI prototypes as well as Ingolstadt’s newest creation, the Le Mans race-winning 2014 Audi R18 e-tron quattro.

The popular LMP2 class is represented by two cars as Project CARS will feature both the Alpine A450 LMP2 as well as the ORECA 03 LMP2, representing more than 80% of this year’s LMP2 grid within the game.

Project CARS will also honor some of the race’s most legendary cars as players will be able to experience Le Mans legends like the race-winning 1978 Renault Alpine A442B, the 1990 Mercedes Benz Sauber C9 Group C car & BMW’s 1999 V12 LMR prototype.

pc1.jpg

pc9.jpg

pc4.jpg

pc6.jpg

pc7.jpg

E3 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5o5SmQWlR0
Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 21 Aug 2014 22:49

Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 18 Oct 2014 11:27

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/pr ... ring-2015/

Slightly Mad Studios and BANDAI NAMCO Games Europe S.A.S today announced they will be moving the release of Project CARS for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC to Spring 2015.

The move positions the title away from the competitive holiday scene dominated by household names while affording the team at Slightly Mad Studios additional time to extend and polish their ground-breaking and accomplished next-gen racing experience that’s been created alongside a community of over 85,000 racing fans and real-life professional drivers.

Our goal has always been to deliver a landmark title that encompasses the wishes and desires of racing fans from all around the world; something with features and content powered by the community that provide a truly unforgettable and pioneering experience” said Ian Bell, Head of Studio at Slightly Mad Studios.

Whilst a tough decision to make, the change in release date allows the game the greatest chance of success and visibility, and the opportunity to polish the game even further to the high standards that both ourselves and our community demand and expect. We’re eager for you all to see what we’ve been working on in just a few months.

Project CARS will be coming to the Playstation 4, Xbox One, Steam OS, WiiU & PC, starting March 17th in the United States and March 20th in Europe.
Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 23 Jan 2015 23:15

Amor fati

Unread postby El Chaos » 11 Mar 2015 20:49

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... ayed-again

Wesley Yin-Poole wrote:Project Cars delayed again
Free content promised as compensation.

Slightly Mad Studios' Project Cars has been delayed again.

It's due out for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One mid-May 2015, publisher Bandai Namco said. There was no mention of the planned Wii U version in today's announcement.

"The shift of the release date is due to the team's continued dedication to polishing the game," reads a statement.

Project Cars was delayed back in February to 2nd April. It was originally due out last November, but was delayed to 20th March.

Slightly Mad Studios promised free content by way of compensation that will be available the day the game comes out.

Here's Slightly Mad Studio's Ian Bell on the latest delay:

Despite our long heritage and pedigree in making critically-acclaimed racing games, Project Cars is by far the grandest and most intricately detailed of them all. Despite therefore the game being 99.9 per cent complete, the remaining 0.1 per cent attending to small issues and bugs has been tricky to anticipate.

We're absolutely dedicated to delivering a ground-breaking experience and by targeting mid-May fans can be assured that's what they'll receive.

Again, we want to thank our fans for their support and patience on this matter. There's a high expectancy from racing fans around the world that Project Cars is going to be an exciting new contender in the simulation racing space and we firmly believe gamers deserve it to be in its most complete and polished state when they come to play it on day one.

And since the gaming community is our primary focus and has always been at the heart of the project during development, we would like to offer some free content to all players as compensation for this short delay and as acknowledgement of how grateful we are. This gift, that we're sure is going to excite fans, will be available from day one and revealed shortly. Keep an eye on our website for more info.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby Amor fati » 04 May 2015 20:59

Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 07 May 2015 13:00

The Community Assisted Review of Project CARS
http://pretendracecars.net/2015/05/06/t ... ject-cars/

James wrote:Since the inception of PretendRaceCars.net, we’ve covered the final four months of development for arguably the biggest racing franchise to debut in the past decade, Slightly Mad Studio’s Project CARS. Using our insider access and boldly posting controversial info that other publications are too afraid to mention, our little site has gained notoriety for daring to share the ugly and sometimes downright deceptive side of the community assisted racing simulation. Four years after the game’s initial brainstorming session on the NoGripRacing.com forums, D-Day is here and the game is finally on store shelves. However, since this is a game whose direction has been decided and funded largely by the community, our review will differ from the traditional reviews I was once seen writing over at RaceDepartment. We will instead explore what the community is saying about the title, now that it has been released to the wild.

James wrote:I don’t know what to say, other than we told you so. It sucks that a large portion of the community was turned into viral marketers for a game described as “middle-of-the-road” and playing with a traditional controller “borders on impossible.” We pointed out the abundance of bugs mentioned in the WMD forums several times. We pointed out the internal discussions of poor controls. We had others confirm performance issues. We called the lackluster driving physics and shoddy AI. It’s a flop, guys.

Score: Probably not worth your time / 10

Looks like it has the same problems as their previous games and is inferior to Forza and GT.
Amor fati

Unread postby El Chaos » 10 May 2015 23:42

Digital Foundry face-off: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... s-face-off

Thomas Morgan wrote:Slightly Mad Studios' racer leaves a high watermark for Polyphony Digital and Turn 10 to match in the coming years. Crucially, both console versions get the attention they deserve, and between the huge car count, dynamic weather and use of PhysX, both PS4 and Xbox One retain many of the PC's version's best features. They aren't perfect; 60fps isn't a lock and bouts of tearing flare up in both - but Project Cars' ambition still vaults it ahead of most racers in the console space. And between the two, though many settings are matched Sony's platform is the easy pick due to its sturdier frame-rate and its native 1080p resolution.

It's something of a cliché to put PC in pole position, but in this case it needs extra emphasis. The higher grade particle effects, reflections and superior car models bring an obvious difference over what PS4 and Xbox One achieve. By comparison it's one of the starker contrasts next to current-gen releases - though the hardware needs to be there to back it. In an ideal scenario Project Cars requires a top-end Nvidia card slotted into an i7 PC, both of which give us a handle on high and ultra settings - upstaging PS4 and Xbox One on almost every visual point. However, there's scalability here too if you need it - using approximate console quality settings, a GTX 750 Ti can produce very similar results to the PS4 game. However, a good amount of CPU power is required to run the game - a Core i5 is needed on vehicle-heavy races to hit 60fps [UPDATE 5:58pm: We've updated this article with revised CPU testing: our test rigs were altered after yesterday's DX12 benching - the reality is that a Core i3 processor clearly struggles on packed races in Project Cars - the game is CPU-bound here, even with a GTX 750 Ti].

With plottings of a sequel already underway, Project Cars' console debut creates some eager expectations around the team's next step. We're intrigued to see what future patches bring to this release for example; whether PS4's ghosting issue will remain as-is, or if a toggle is a planned for the already exhaustive visual effects menu. Just as intriguing is the state of the Wii U version - an unusual third party pledge for the platform right now, though it's one we hope to see come to fruition, if only to see how much of the core experience remains intact for a game that exploits high-end hardware.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 27 May 2015 17:17

Tim, I have a few questions for you. Have you played this game, and, if so, how accurate do you deem the review you linked? Also, how much do you trust the site that published the review and/or its author? And finally, what rating do you think the review would most closely correspond to on Insomnia's rating system?
Last edited by icycalm on 27 May 2015 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Amor fati » 27 May 2015 20:10

I have played it briefly (about 2-3 hours) and would deem the review to be fairly accurate in that the game feels similar to their previous games with dodgy handling and AI and is in general an ambitious but poorly executed unpolished racing game. I have read almost all the articles on the site and trust the authors reasonably strongly when it comes to analysing the simulation aspect of racing games but doubt they would be suitable for reviewing the likes of Mario Kart 8. The review would correspond most closely to two stars on Insomnia's rating system.
Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 29 May 2015 17:09

Having just reread the review, I must correct myself and say that it reads nearer to one star than two.
Amor fati

Unread postby Amor fati » 29 May 2015 19:09

However over time with patches to fix bugs and so on the game will end up reflecting its underlying two-star rating which should be attached to the review if published on this site.
Amor fati

Unread postby icycalm » 31 May 2015 22:11

A one-star game is basically an "indie" game. I don't think I have played a game by a real developer in the last 15 years that's worth only one star. Merely driving around for a few hours in the car models and environments shown in these screenshots is worth two stars, as far as I am concerned, even if the cars handle like an '80s racing game that's played with an arcade stick (assuming the screens are not fake...). The dudes sound like FTG players who give games one star because a character is "unbalanced" or something. What would they give Ridge Racer 6's driving model then?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 31 May 2015 22:34

I skimmed it again. He comes off as having some kind of personal issue with the developers, because the first thing he talks about is console performance -- which is obviously something that no racing game enthusiast would care about as long as there is a PC version. And then he says you can't play it properly on any platform because AMD performance sucks. But what about Nvidia then? It's even been the most popular GPU vendor by far, for many years. What about them? He doesn't even talk about them. So he either has an axe to grind and his analysis is bullshit, or he feels so overwhelmed by the unwarranted praise the game is receiving, and so powerless to counter it, that he goes as far as to avoid mentioning anything at all good about the game in order to help his cause. You could even say he makes up shit about it, since it is obvious the game is perfectly playable on PC/Nvidia, even though he says it's not playable anywhere.

I suspect the latter is true, and that's why I will post his review. This is a mediocre or substandard game, but it has gotten so much praise that this dude feels the only way to counter it is with lies.

And then he says he doesn't "care for" "some" of the European locations. That's pretty much the only word he offers in the whole review on environment and track selection. So either he is xenophobic, or again is making shit up to trash the game and intentionally leaving out any mention of anything positive.

The main part of the review -- handling, etc, -- is not even in the review, but in a linked article he wrote sometime before. Still haven't checked that out, but I wonder if there could be some way to integrate it in the review, or perhaps I should post both articles.

This could very well be a three-star game, but it would not be possible to give it that without modifying the text a little, so I'll go with two until I try the game myself or we get a report by a more experienced reviewer.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Amor fati » 23 Jul 2015 18:22

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/21/900965 ... u-canceled

Project CARS, the simulation racer which launched in May on PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One, will not be getting a Wii U version because the game is "simply too much for the Wii U," the developing studio told Nintendo Life.

"The official line is that we're awaiting an announcement from Nintendo on new hardware." Ian Bell, the head of Slightly Mad Studios, told Nintendo Life, but development has ceased.

Update: A statement from Bandai Namco, the game's publisher, affirmed the cancellation and its reason.

"Despite much perseverance on the Wii U version of Project CARS we will no longer be actively pursuing development on it as the quality does not meet our own high standards nor our intended vision for the title on this platform," a Bandai Namco representative said. "We eagerly look forward to any announcement of further hardware from Nintendo but right now Project CARS is simply too much for Wii U despite our very best efforts. Apologies to our Nintendo fans out there that have been waiting for further news on this but have no desire to release a product that isn't at the very least comparable with our highest-rated versions on other platforms. We optimistically look forward therefore to what the future may hold."

Project CARS was crowd-funded, although not through Kickstarter. Bell has noted in the past that a Wii U edition was not part of the original promise to backers and had always been listed as a "maybe."

In May, Bell commented on the game's forums that the development on the Wii U was facing difficulty, saying they had gotten Project CARS to run at 23 frames per second at 720p resolution on the console. Bell indicated the studio was "waiting/hoping for more of a hardware announcement at E3."
Amor fati

Return to Games