[PC] [PS4] [ONE] Overwatch

Unread postby Some guy » 08 Nov 2014 15:04

Blizzard reveals Overwatch, a team-based competitive first-person shooter
http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2014/11/bli ... based.html

overwatch-poster-final.jpg

Cinematic trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiM1EPJYBdE

Gameplay trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8vZLRqMwGQ

Blizzard Entertainment Reveals Supercharged Team-Based Shooter, Overwatch

In front of a live crowd of more than 25,000 BlizzCon attendees and an expected online audience numbering in the millions, Blizzard Entertainment today announced Overwatch, a pick-up-and-play first-person shooter featuring an amazing cast of heroes and set in an all-new Blizzard game universe.

The action of Overwatch takes place in a technologically advanced, highly stylized future earth. In a time of global crisis, an international task force of soldiers, scientists, adventurers, and oddities known as Overwatch had come together to restore peace to a war-torn world. After many years, the group’s influence waned, and it was eventually disbanded. Overwatch might be gone now . . . but the world still needs heroes.

With an emphasis on accessibility and pure fun, Overwatch brings Blizzard’s signature easy-to-learn, hard-to-master gameplay to the FPS genre. Harnessing the power of their hero of choice, players will join forces in teams of six and battle each other across a range of futuristic global locations, from the hologram-lit streets of London to a bazaar in the shadows of a high-tech Egyptian pyramid. Every battlefield is iconic and built to highlight each character’s unique abilities, and fights can shift from streets to rooftops to open skies within the span of a breath.

“Overwatch is our take on a vibrant, near-future universe with amped-up characters and action-packed team-based gameplay,” said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “With every new Blizzard game, we look at our favorite aspects of a genre and put our own spin on things. Our goal with Overwatch is to create an awesome FPS experience that’s more accessible to a much wider audience while delivering the action and depth that shooter fans love.”

The heroes of Overwatch each bring their own distinct weapons and superabilities to bear. Here’s just a glimpse of the numerous heroes that will ultimately fill Overwatch’s rosters:

• Tracer, a former British test pilot who shrugs at danger, can execute impossible acrobatic assaults thanks to her ability to teleport, drop energy bombs, and even reverse time.

• Reinhardt, a hulking German soldier in battle armor, can charge great distances and pin his enemies to a wall or slam the ground with his rocket hammer to knock them off their feet.

• Hanzo, a bow-wielding Japanese mercenary, has the ability to scale walls with his bare hands, fire off a tracking device that illuminates nearby enemies for his team, and unleash a huge spirit dragon that does grievous damage to all enemies in its path.

• Symmetra, an Indian architech, manipulates light and energy to shield her allies and damage her enemies—and she can turn the tide of any battle by building a device that instantly transports her teammates to the front lines.

While each hero represents a formidable force on their own, players can amplify their potential by assembling into a well-balanced team and creatively combining powers. No matter which hero or playstyle they prefer, players will be able to team up and accomplish the incredible in Overwatch.

At BlizzCon this weekend, Overwatch is fully playable and running on 600 PCs, and attendees there are the first in the world to play it. Gamers at the show are able to select from a current roster of 12 playable heroes and go 6v6 against each other, capturing or defending points and attacking or delivering payloads across three wildly different maps. New heroes and maps will continually be added to the game as development progresses, and beta testing will begin in 2015.

Learn more about Overwatch, including all of the heroes and maps revealed at BlizzCon, and sign up to participate in the upcoming beta test at the official website, playoverwatch.com. Further details about the game will be announced there in the months ahead.
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Nov 2014 11:47

The art assets are pretty good. Too bad it's not a real game.

And if they are going with fantasy powers, they might as well go the whole hog and give us team-based Marvel superhero battles. I'd play that shit even if I dislike the genre.

Interesting also that Blizzard is still sticking mainly with the PC.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Nov 2014 11:51

At least it's 6v6. Better than 5v5!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Nov 2014 11:54

Also, "accessible". Not too worried about that though, since these games are dumbed down enough as it is. I have a hard time seeing how anyone could dumb them down even further.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby shubn » 20 Jun 2015 16:46

shubn

Unread postby icycalm » 01 May 2017 12:12

From Discord:

I wrote:I find it interesting that Saf and Yurian are playing Overwatch at the same time, but not together
At first I thought, man this is dumb
But then I realized that even when we all played together, we barely coordinated anything
I had assumed that this was because we were new to the game, but perhaps the reason runs deeper
It just seems to go too fast to have the time to coordinate
Plus the respawns fuck up the flow of the tactics
So in the end there are barely any tactics
I hope I am wrong, and after all I've only played a couple hours, but it seems that the only level at which this game is enjoyable is the moment-to-moment action, which is pretty good
We'll see
This is how respawns ruin the tactics
At first you have a plan
But then someone dies
Obviously, when this happens, the others adjust the plan on the fly
And then by the time the dead man is back in the front line, the others don't even notice exactly when he has arrived, so they can't make a new plan
And since people are dying the whole time, and arriving on the front at different times, it just turns into a clusterfuck where everyone does his own thing
This thing is fun, but there are no tactics involved in it
I suspect this is how COD MP plays, and Battlefield too, if it has respawns
PS2 is different because you have the Sunderer, managing which makes respawning a part of the tactics, and even the strategy, but above all because of the size and persistence of the world (edited)
It's the only VS MP game I've played which manages to implement respawning in a way that doesn't fuck up the game
I'd like to know if Paragon has respawns. I googled it but couldn't find anything. If it doesn't it will definitely be superior to Overwatch, even with the lower team size
Hell, I don't even know if MOBAs have respawns lol
I doubt they do though, because I don't see how they could have become so competitive with them
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 01 May 2017 12:25

Continued:

Riksto
Oh MOBAs have respawns, but I think the respawn time is fairly long

icycalm
That's one strike against them then (edited)
And even from the opposite side's perspective, respawns fuck things up (edited)
I mean from the side of the team that killed the dude that respawned
Think about it for a moment
Not only does that team have to come up with a plan of how to kill all the opponents, but they have come up with a plan of how to kill even the dudes that they have killed when no one knows in advance WHEN they will kill them, and when they will rejoin the battle
It's a clusterfuck from start to finish (edited)
I need to find which game first introduced respawning and write a scathing review of it
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Nov 2017 09:50

My review: https://www.patreon.com/posts/15463761

If you read it earlier, re-read it. I added screenshots and, more importantly, two more paragraphs of analysis.

I've got the hang of how that site works, and I think I can produce pretty good-looking pages there now.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Nov 2017 14:52

I figured something out that has potential, and added two more rewards tiers. Check them out.

I am still looking for ideas.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games