[PC] [PS4] [ONE] Just Cause 3

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] [PS4] [ONE] Just Cause 3

Unread postby ksevcov » 12 Nov 2014 06:31

Official site: http://www.justcause.com/

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2014/11/gam ... ealed.html

1415725718-260-cover-reveal-spread.jpg

Just Cause 3 Unveiled by Square Enix & Avalance Studios

Square Enix and Avalanche Studios today unveiled Just Cause 3, a vast open-world action adventure, and the latest instalment in the much-loved Just Cause series. Just Cause 3 will be available in 2015 for PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system, Xbox One and Windows PC.

"We’ve been waiting for this moment ever since Just Cause 2 was released, said Christofer Sundberg, founder and Chief Creative Officer at Avalanche Studios. “This is the culmination of a decade’s worth of open-world evolution and innovation. In Just Cause 3, we’ve sent Rico to a beautiful Mediterranean archipelago. He is of course bringing his Grapple and Parachute, both with game-changing upgrades, as well as the brand new Wingsuit. Just Cause 3 truly represents the next generation of chaotic sandbox fun, and we can’t wait to show you more next year."

Exclusive coverage and developer interviews can be found in Game Informer’s December issue.

Game Informer's Coverage Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1_VWNuIm3E
ksevcov

Unread postby ksevcov » 12 Nov 2014 06:37

http://gematsu.com/2014/11/first-just-c ... ls-surface

Sal Romano wrote:First details on Just Cause 3 have come via the game’s Steam page and this month’s Game Informer.

The Steam page outlines the game’s story and features, promising an open world with “virtually zero limits” where you can sky dive, base jump, free dive, and more.

Story

The Mediterranean republic of Medici is suffering under the brutal control of General Di Ravello, a dictator with an insatiable appetite for power. Enter Rico Rodriguez, a man on a mission to destroy the General’s hold on power by any means necessary. With over 400 square miles of complete freedom from sky to seabed and a huge arsenal of weaponry, gadgets and vehicles, prepare to unleash chaos in the most creative and explosive ways you can imagine.

Features

• Explore a Mediterranean island paradise with complete vertical freedom – skydive, BASE jump and free dive in an open world with virtually zero limits
  • Glide through the air and swoop across mountains with your Wingsuit giving a new way to rain death from above
  • Use your Grapple and Parachute to scale buildings, hijack vehicles, move quickly or tether objects together for creative new ways to cause Chaos.
  • Cause massive chains of destruction in military bases, harbours, prisons, police stations and communications facilities to bring down a dictator
  • Arm yourself with a wide range of explosive weaponry from shotguns and missile launchers to tank-busters and air-strikes
  • Choose from a huge variety of different vehicles to drive including speedboats, jets, helicopters, turbo-fuelled sports cars and super bikes
  • Get adventurous with dozens of challenge missions and collectibles to discover Online community features

The Game Informer information can be found over at NeoGAF. Highlights include:

• Rico grew up in Medici. The game has a story, but it’s not very story heavy. The game is more focused on sandbox play.
  • More verticality thanks to new engine.
  • The map is the same size as Just Cause 2‘s.
  • The first mission is to free a small town. Towns have tons of propaganda to destroy.
  • Reels will work as intended, and you can now shoot an enemy mid-reel.
  • When you’re damaged, the screen loses color, but enemies get brighter. There are no health backs or health regeneration. There’s no dodge roll or crouching either.
  • Your Heat will increase as you do more damage, but you don’t have to run away. Killing a guard calling in for reinforcements, for example, will stop further waves and end your Heat growth. Liberated towns allow you to decrease heat.
  • The magazine saw a destructible police station. Rico threw a grenade at the building to create his own doorway.
  • If you’re attached to a helicopter, you can instantly take out the pilot and take over, without quick-time events. Or you can just hang from the bottom, perhaps plant a C4 bomb and let go, watch the helicopter blow up.
  • There is a checklist on the left of the screen that shows everything you’ve destroyed.
  • Remote tether retrating allows you to attach the tether to any object and have it retract. For example, pull down a giant statue by attaching to tether to the floor and retracting. Or, you can attach a guard to a wall, and retract and cut mid-retraction to slingshot them.
  • Every upgrade you find will work across all vehicles. As you progress, you’ll even have access to army grade vehicles.
  • Multiplayer is not supported, but mods (PC) will be.
ksevcov

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Nov 2014 11:34

What a stupid idea to set it in the Mediterranean. There are no dictatorships here! And the name of the "republic" is "Medici" lol. The setting is a total buzzkill.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ksevcov » 11 Dec 2014 18:55

ksevcov

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Dec 2014 20:25

Insane.

The first parachute pic looks eerily like the beach I surf at, 10 minutes from my apartment. They even do lots of parachuting there, and land right on the beach.

The first image has GOT to be made into a header. But I hope they don't go too far the Saints Row route with it.

Very excited, I'll put it on the Most Wanted list as soon as I've made a header.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Dec 2014 20:29

Then again it's made by Square Enix and their soulless horde of mindless cubicle zombies for pure profit, so I am sure it'll suck. We are better off trying this instead: http://store.steampowered.com/app/293440
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 13 Feb 2015 18:07

earthboundtrev

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Apr 2015 12:53

New trailer with lots of play footage: http://a.pomf.se/tjzslq.mp4

It looks much more interesting than Mad Max, because the setting is more interesting and beautiful, with a much wider variety of stuff etc. Mad Max looks cool too, if taken on its own, but in comparison with this it's almost a joke. Is Avalanche phoning it in because they expect it to coast on the license?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Amor fati » 28 Apr 2015 16:00

Just Cause 3 is the first game by their New York studio whereas Mad Max is being developed in Stockholm like their previous games. Square Enix have probably given the developers greater freedom than Warner Bros. to create a more mechanically ambitious game albeit one that is likely to lack narratively compared to Mad Max.
Amor fati

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 18 Jun 2015 10:36

earthboundtrev

Unread postby SriK » 25 Aug 2015 06:45

http://www.vg247.com/2015/08/19/just-ca ... atisfying/

New "Burn It" trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYy1_VoVVkE

And some impressions:

Alex Donaldson wrote:Certain key design decisions Avalanche has made make it plain: they get it. The hands-on demo we get isn’t ideal, with our session limited to challenge-style trials rather than the full freedom of the open world – but even that offers insight into where Just Cause 3 is targeting. The challenges I play will be present in the final game as a way to earn upgrades, essentially divorcing power ups for Rico’s explosive arsenal from story progression, instead attaching it to side challenges scattered throughout the world.

Art director Zach Schläppi emphasizes this as he narrates the hands-off portion of the demo. Freedom is key, he explains, and not everybody may want to sit through Just Cause 3’s narrative. If that’s the case, they can simply tool around the island and will in the process find plenty to do, being able to upgrade Rico’s abilities along the way.

“Just Cause 2 was like an Uwe Boll movie by comparison,” he grins. Just Cause 3, he says, will retain a degree of the cheese and Michael Bay-style over-the-top explosiveness. But it maintains a higher production value along the way.

That’s obvious in the hands-off demo I see, which manages to strike a solid balance between bombastic and ridiculous. What’s ultimately shown to us is the full version of the same mission that makes up the most recent trailer for the game, shown at Microsoft’s Gamescom conference – but throughout the demo the concept of absolute freedom is repeatedly driven home.

While Rico can propel himself across the island with the tried-and-tested grappling hook & parachute combo – now further improved by the addition of the wing suit – vehicles are still available, for instance. Stealing one and returning it to a safehouse will add it to your repertoire of equipment, which in turn means that you can call a supply drop in at any point to deliver it to your current location. The supply drop is quite lenient, allowing Rico to call in whatever the player wants so long as he hasn’t called another drop too recently.

Just Cause 3 doesn’t really care how ridiculous it is to drop a storage crate with a car in it from the sky. It just does it anyway. It doesn’t worry about the fact that once you get a car once you can recall it an unlimited number of times. All it cares about is giving you toys to play with – and if that’s a farmer’s tractor, or a tiny little Fiat-style coupe rather than a rocket launcher, so be it – but the rocket launcher is available too.

Once you get your hands on weapons, the chaos can begin. There’s impressive destruction on display, and just like previous titles in the series consequences are minimal. It doesn’t ever look like Rico comes close to death, and even when innocents get caught in the crossfire there’s no punishment. It’s instead all about experimenting with the game’s systems and having fun. Missions are open-ended – the game isn’t going to tell you to approach a specific area in a specific vehicle – if it suits you more to drive than to wingsuit in, that’s your choice. Again, there’s that emphasis on freedom.

The mission in question looked fun and plenty destructive, it’s just a shame that the hands-on time didn’t quite match up to that. Limited to the more regimented Destruction and Wingsuit-based challenges that players complete to earn upgrades, these missions drop you into a specific area of the open world with a specific task.

The destruction challenges offer up areas of the map with little in the way of enemy resistance and simply challenge the player to cause as much damage as possible. If nothing else this is a great way to see the game’s destruction tech in action and see what some of the weapons at Rico’s disposal can do, but without the drama of enemies attacking and an actual mission at hand, some of the fun is lost. In the context of the game these may work, but in this isolated hands-on this challenge type honestly left me cold.

As such, I spend most of my demo in the wingsuit. The challenges here are essentially Pilotwings (no bad thing), starting you high up and challenging you with flying through rings for a higher score. The suit feels responsive and fun to use, and it’s easy to see how this is likely to become most players’ go-to method of getting across Just Cause 3’s seemingly sprawling world. The views on offer are impressive, too, and drive home that while perhaps Just Cause 3’s character models aren’t the most technically impressive, the world around them is vast and gorgeous.

The game comes out December 1st.
SriK

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 03 Oct 2015 22:15

Dev Diary 1 'Who is Rico': https://youtu.be/WwhRsw00rPA

Dev Diary 2 'Destruction': https://youtu.be/aN6hJYXwYQI

Dev Diary 3 'World': https://youtu.be/JZ-fD-Ht_mQ
earthboundtrev

Unread postby SriK » 26 Nov 2015 21:31

Play footage of the first hour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu8qLysK5zM
SriK

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Mar 2017 15:09

Insomnia review: http://culture.vg/reviews/in-depth/just ... 15-pc.html

Shakesman's review:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BertieWoos ... ed/225540/

William Shakesman wrote:Am I too old for this sort of game? You whip around with a wingsuit, grappling hook, and parachute, shooting soldiers and blowing up lots of red explodey things. It should be great.

But... it's just not. For this to work, everything has to be polished to the nth degree. That grappling hook has to feel amazing, and... it just doesn't. The wingsuit controls like a drunken pig. The cars are horrible. The shooting feels like it is completely written off. Rico can't really take cover or dodge in any meaningful sense but he takes such a ridiculous amount of damage and regenerates so fast that it feels like a joke that the developers and players are both in on at the expense of the guards.

Most fun upgrades are locked behind checkpoint races so all that time you spent in JC2 to get incremental damage upgrades to your guns is now going to be spent unlocking highly useful gameplay features.

The only people who went above and beyond here are the folks who did the environmental work. It's just as beautiful here as it was in JC2.

So if you want to know about how a game that's all about zipping around, flying, and blowing ♥♥♥♥ up can be boring, the answer is just: Make all those things look cool but don't make them feel cool in any real way. The entire game just feels mindless and junky as a result.

Also, I know I'm not supposed to care but the plot is a huge whiff. Rico is dull and uninteresting, joking in every situation where it isn't really effective to joke and when it is effective to crack a one liner he reads it off like he hasn't had any coffee yet. Tom Sheldon went from Rico's best buddy cowboy CIA operative to a slimy weasel who Rico can barely tolerate. JC2's hokey crime lord intrigue and insistence we were supposed to care who people like Jade Tan were feels like high drama compared to this clownish mess.

Oh and apparently hitting a pedestrian with full nitro active is like hitting a brick wall and bounces your car back.

I guess I picked a good review to feature because I really want the game to be good. I'll make up my own mind when I get around to playing it; until then you have both perspectives here, and you can add your own if you have played the game.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games