default header

News

Planetside 3

Moderator: JC Denton

Planetside 3

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Oct 2019 19:17

PS3 is in development!

PS2 was a huge hit with CULT circa 2014, so this is awesome news. On the other hand, Rust and survival-crafters in general are the next step up from from this design, because you don't just capture and defend bases, you also build and destroy them, so at first glance I don't quite see the need for a PS3 at this point. However, once I read that PS3 will sport "full-fledged galactic war" featuring empires "exploring, colonizing and conquering one another within an expansive galaxy" I got the point. It sounds insane, though I will still miss the base-building and -destroying of the survival-crafters, unless those are somehow added in, to some extent at least, at which point PS3 will be a survival-crafter, to some extent or other. We'll see.

Producer's Letter: On the PlanetSide Franchise
https://www.planetside2.com/news/produc ... e-oct-2019

Andy Sites wrote:The final area I’d like to address is where we're going from here and what's on the horizon for the PlanetSide franchise overall...

We're coming up on the 7th anniversary for PlanetSide 2. In early 2020, the PlanetSide franchise will celebrate its 17th since the original release back in 2003. Over those 16+ years, we have amassed millions of passionate fans. So when we think about what the PlanetSide 3 experience needs to be, we know that there are incredibly high expectations from all of you. PlanetSide Arena is intended to be the stepping stone to PlanetSide 3, which we envision expanding from the current battlefields of Auraxis, to full-fledged galactic war with empires exploring, colonizing and conquering one another within an expansive galaxy. We envision PlanetSide Arena as a way to allow us to link present day PlanetSide 2 and PlanetSide 3 story lines, as well as providing an opportunity to try out new features, styles of play, etc.

Why wouldn't we just do this in PlanetSide 2? Quite simply, because PS2 offers a very unique experience that the current, active community enjoys. Trying to incorporate different game systems or styles of play or even trying out new modes would be disruptive - potentially catastrophically. We don’t want to upset that balance, as it would be unfair to our current PS2 community.

So as we take our next steps on this journey, I can tell you that the team and I are 100% committed for the long haul as we continue to expand PlanetSide 2, refine PlanetSide Arena, and prepare for the future of the overall PlanetSide franchise.

It goes without saying that I have no interest in Arena, which is so obviously a lame battle royale cash-grab. If I am gonna play a BR, I have a wealth of choices that are more interesting than a cheap mode tacked onto a seven-year-old game I've long had enough of.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to News