default header

Theory

THIS IS HOW SUBHUMANS REALLY FEEL ABOUT VIDEOGAMES

Moderator: JC Denton

THIS IS HOW SUBHUMANS REALLY FEEL ABOUT VIDEOGAMES

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Aug 2014 22:13

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45543

Edmond Dantes wrote:Game Genres I Don't "Get"

So lately, in my quest to dominate my game library, I've realized there are some entire genres of games I... just plain don't really understand.

I mean, I know with side-scrolling platformers or shmups its "practice your hand-eye coordination, work on your timing and reflexes, learn the layouts and patterns." But there are some genres where I just plain don't know WHAT skills I'm supposed to develop, or what I should be looking at or for.

I'm hoping someone here can give me a heads up.

So, here are the genres in question:

Beat-em-Ups (Final Fight, TMNT Arcade games, etc.)

This is pretty much the Ur example of a genre I just don't get. Should I be trying to get good at spotting wind-up frames and learning how to react, as in a fighting game, or am I supposed to learn tactics to deliver hits without getting hit myself... are reflexes important or is strategy... just, I'm not sure where to begin. In most Beat-em-Ups, I just mash buttons and wind up quarter-feeding through them because I'm not even sure how to get good at them.

Flight Sims (particularly combat ones, Wing Commander particularly)

I get the basic idea--"kill them before they kill you"--but it seems a lot goes into that which so far hasn't clicked. For example, I constantly struggle to even face towards my enemy to fire on them, and usually by the time I do they're passing in front of me or overhead and I have to turn yet again. It's worse when there's more than one enemy aircraft... I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to deal with both. I get the feeling there is some very basic concept that I simply have not figured out.

Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Kill yourself and help us cleanse our gene pool from your kind.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Theory