default header

Theory

Why The US Military Should Buy The Videogame Industry

Moderator: JC Denton

Why The US Military Should Buy The Videogame Industry

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Nov 2014 19:47

I have this down as a title for an article in my notes file, but I can't for the life of me remember what I wanted to say in it. There are no actual notes, only the title. I vaguely remember telling some people on Mumble what would be in it, but not what I actually told them (not even who those people were). So I am throwing it up here in case any of them remember what I told them, and can help me remember too and write the article. Or maybe others can try guessing and coming up with ideas? I do remember being VERY convinced that this would be a good move.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Texas » 23 Nov 2014 20:14

Did it have anything to do with this thread?

http://culture.vg/forum/topic?t=4046
Texas

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Nov 2014 20:23

That's probably part of it. But I had other specific reasons goddamit. I wouldn't have written down the title if it was just a joke and I didn't have good reasons.

It was not important enough to be in the books, though. It would have been just a commentary, if I remember correctly.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Qpo » 23 Nov 2014 20:42

I was there but don't remember much, other than us laughing quite a bit about it. But I think that leading up to it we were talking about, or at least mentioned, the quote in the first post of the Relative Irrelevance of "Balance" thread:

http://culture.vg/forum/topic?t=3835

So maybe that while some games are glorifying war while others don't, if the US military was in charge they could make sure the best games glorified it, while also putting as much military education as possible into them. Coupled with sports, for physical education, it could be a good head start for young recruits. And other countries couldn't use the same games, at least not as effectively, since the games would be teaching how to use the US military's equipment.
Qpo

Unread postby Some guy » 23 Nov 2014 22:16

I think we were talking about how Planetary Annihilation could be used to discover which officers would make the best generals or something like that. I also remember saying that the US military should just buy Infinity Ward and then you said they should just buy the whole videogame industry. The only other thing I could remember was us joking about how they could use the esports aspies to fly drones or do number-crunching or something.
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Nov 2014 05:52

You've got a pretty good memory. I recall all these things now that you mentioned them. Sadly, I still don't see what more I could have possibly had to say on the subject. And if I was planning an article, I would have had more to say for sure.

Meh, whatever. It will either come back to me on its own, or it couldn't have been that interesting to begin with, in which case it won't be a big loss.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 25 May 2015 01:28

I think this Gripen NG promotional "movie" is what I had in mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKlQyPOiRuE

The F-35 has a terrible public image, and who better to fix it for the US government than Hollywood?

I don't know the numbers, but isn't the US military's budget enough to buy all the Hollywood studios? And if they are buying Hollywood, they may as well buy the videogame industry while they are at it, right?

Let's hope someone in Congress hits upon this ingenious idea at some point.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 25 May 2015 01:32

And it would be chump change for them to buy all the videogame websites too, to quash effeminate protesters and give all their games 10/10. How simple and elegant is this solution? And why am I the only one who thinks of these things?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Theory