default header

Theory

Why Real Gamers Hate Handhelds

Moderator: JC Denton

Why Real Gamers Hate Handhelds

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Mar 2015 23:18

https://archive.moe/v/thread/288600475/

Anonymous wrote:Why the hell did handheld "gaming" become a thing? It used to only exist so that you'd have something to play in situations where you didn't have access to a console or PC like if you went camping for a weekend. But now people actually buy handhelds over fucking consoles and spend hundreds of hours AT HOME playing them, despite them being inferior as all hell to console and PC games. I just don't fucking get how it got to this.

https://archive.moe/v/thread/288600475/#288611986

So why do real gamers hate handhelds and pseudo-gamers love them? It's a really simple answer.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Cassowary » 29 Mar 2015 04:09

The answer is entirely in Recap's article. The tiny, low-res screens, godawful DACs and tinny, shrill speakers create an unbelievably bad audiovisual experience, and the often limited controls lead to limited games. This totally precludes immersion. Even if one were to somehow force decent graphics onto a handheld via streaming or something, pay to put a decent DAC in it, use good headphones and build the whole thing into an ergonomically excellent shell with great controls, the device would still be bad for gaming, as one cannot truly become immersed in a game while traveling, and one can simply use a proper gaming device while at home. Besides, this hypothetical device, while certainly better than any existing handheld, would barely be portable --- indeed, it would be unacceptably heavy for a modern device and awkward to carry around. This is revealing --- the only way to make a handheld gaming device better is to make it more similar to a stationary gaming device, which necessarily proves the superiority of stationary devices.
Cassowary

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Mar 2015 20:09

Cassowary wrote:The answer is entirely in Recap's article. The tiny, low-res screens, godawful DAC's and tinny, shrill speakers create an unbelievably bad audiovisual experience, and the often limited controls lead to limited games. This totally precludes immersion.

You are a retard.

And of course you didn't even acknowledge the question, much less try to answer it.

Three reasons to be banned then.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 29 Mar 2015 21:35

Real gamers want complexity and pseudo-gamers do not. Recap's article alludes to this fact when he states 2D games have been exiled to the handhelds and states the obvious limitations of the hardware. Pseudo-gamers are mini-gamers, so it's no surprise they would be attracted to the handhelds which feature simpler games even when compared to their arcade, PC, and console counterparts.
recoil

Unread postby OuterLimit » 29 Mar 2015 22:07

The lower gaming system works best with their limitations. The lesser gamer can't handle all those buttons on a PlayStation, not to mention the PC controls. The bad screen resolution is a plus for them since their minds get overwhelmed if they take in too much; this is the same reason why people with bad taste want simple pop over more complex music like metal. Even the menu interface is simpler on handhelds. Handheld games and systems are also cheaper which is very important if you believe in value for money faggotry.
OuterLimit

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Mar 2015 23:26

The difference between handhelds and real systems is immersion. Handhelds simply can't compare in that respect: and that is all that matters, when discussing art, and therefore videogames. recoil focused on complexity, but complexity is merely a means of immersion, so it's better to talk about the latter, since it includes the former.

So, why do real gamers hate handhelds? Because they are inferior in terms of immersion (i.e. they are artistically inferior).

As for "pseudo-gamers", it's not so much that they don't like immersion: it's just that, being lower lifeforms, they can't appreciate higher levels of immersion any more than a dog can. Dogs watch TV too, for example, but only for a few moments, since they can't parse what's going on. The lower lifeforms simply lack the brain circuitry to parse higher forms of artistic immersion, and are therefore satisfied with the lower ones, whether that is handhelds as opposed to real systems, or 2D games as opposed to 3D ones, or meaningless puzzle games for example as opposed to elaborate interactive movies like Ubisoft et al. make.

The funny thing is that Recap argues in precisely those terms in his essay, even if he doesn't use the word immersion:

Recap wrote:Since it would be absolutely foolish not to admit that the experience is directly proportional to the size of the screen that serves as interface and to the power of the speakers that transmit the sound (within some limits, logically). Experience and perception are two closely related terms, you know.

Indeed, the intersection of experience and perception is precisely immersion!

And yet, when it is explained to him that if 20-inch screens are superior to 4-inch ones, then FOV-COVERING VIRTUAL REALITY HEADSETS are obviously superior to 20-inch screens, he bans you lol!

So my results can be arrived at by merely extending to their logical conclusions Recap's own arguments, and yet when this is pointed out to him he goes bananas! Which is the exact same behavior we see in all inferior types of lifeforms, like for example the liberals. The very same principles they use to promote the domination of subhumans over the other animals ("subhuman rights", "subhuman dignity" and so on), I use to promote the domination of humans and superhumans over the subhumans, and though we are using the exact same arguments, my results drive them insane!

In short, the immersion curve doesn't lie any more than the power curve does. All that preferring lower immersion does, is tell everyone else, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that you are subhuman.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Mar 2015 23:30

The proof is in the pudding.

Draw up a list of the top 100 innovative games ever (or top 10,000, even!), and show me a single handheld game on it.

You can't.

QED.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Apr 2015 22:09

By the way, I was planning to open this essay with a quote by one of the Treasure guys, probably Iuchi, I can't remember for sure, but I can't seem to find it among my notes anymore (it's probably in another computer in another country). It was an indirect dig at handhelds. I think the interviewer was asking him about future plans, and he said something about wanting to make a game "for real systems", or something like that, i.e. not handhelds. I suspect I found the interview translated on gamengai. If anyone comes across the passage I am talking about, link it here please.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 13 Apr 2015 21:18

This is the only thing I have managed to find: http://arcade-extreme.forumfree.it/?t=5 ... y325093094

Atsutomo Nakagawa wrote:For a handheld, there are various obstacles when dealing with the screen size and frequency, as well as controls. If given the chance, I would like to try, but generally we're asked to make more authentic games, which are played on consoles.
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Apr 2015 22:41

That's probably it. I can't imagine them having made two statements against handhelds. But I remember the dig as quite a bit more emphatic than that. Maybe it was a different translator.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Theory