Lost Planet 2

[360] [PS3] [PC] Lost Planet 2

Moderator: JC Denton

[360] [PS3] [PC] Lost Planet 2

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Oct 2012 04:25

This one has a 4-player co-op mode, so I'd like to play it with at least two other people if possible. Recoil said he might be interested, and he's already played the first game. I played through about half or three-quarters of it back when it came out, on a Japanese system, so I am going to be starting over and finishing the US version this week to get ready for the sequel. And then it'd be nice if at least one more person, or better yet two, decided to join us. As before, I am only looking for people who haven't played the game yet. New copies are cheap on Amazon (remember: 360 version), or you can download it from Live for around $20 or so, and here's some hype to convince you to get moving:

Sam "Samoza" Tyler wrote:When Lost Planet 2 is at its best, it is quite unlike any other game available. The game is built with co-op in mind from the bottom up, to the point that playing the game as a single player is almost broken. Luckily, we at Co-Optimus are very interested in the co-op aspects of the game, and here it shines. Up to four players at a time can tackle the campaign online, or two via splitscreen at home, where each mission has a series of chapters that lasts between 5 and 25 minutes. As a foursome you must successfully achieve the mission brief, which is usually kill everything or activate all the Data Posts. You share a common Battle Gauge that acts as a collectible life pool; this means that true cooperation will be needed if you are all to survive. If one player is weaker than the other you can place them in a support role such as a shield carrier or sniper.

When you are all in the zone the game truly shines. Chapters vary from open vistas, rocky outcrops, underwater battles, on rails gunfests; and many others. Nearly every larger mission ends on an epic boss battle that brings to mind the sense of scale seen in Shadow of the Colossus as you must work as a team to bring down a massive enemy. To aid you are a series of powerful weapons, and more importantly Vital Suits (VSs). These suits are mech type contraptions that you can climb into to even the odds. There are many variants on offer, from solo pilot mechs, to mechs that allow the entire groups to jump in and fire a separate weapon, or hang from the side.

It is here when you and three friends are all together in a giant Vital Suit, standing off against what looks like an insurmountable alien creature that you realize Lost Planet 2 is quite unlike anything else.

http://www.co-optimus.com/review/477/lo ... eview.html

And for pics and stuff the game's thread is here:

http://culture.vg/forum/topic?f=1&t=2658
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 24 Oct 2012 03:46

I got a copy of the game today. Let me know when you finish the first game.
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Oct 2012 05:14

You know what, I thought a bit more about it, and I decided it'd a be a shame to spoil a game like this with merely 2-player co-op, when it's been clearly designed for 4, just because we are impatient. So let's keep our copies sealed for now, and wait until two more people have decided to join us. Worse comes to worst I'll go on rllmuk, which has plenty of cool people, and find us two more players. Or you can ask one of the other 8 or 9 people I see you have on your friend list if they are interested. Just make sure that they've not played the game before (you can check their game/achievement list to verify this) and that they are willing to play at the hardest difficulty setting. This isn't as much of an issue as it might sound at first, since with the rampant regeneration/respawning in co-op games today you really need to aim for the hardest setting for the game to be playable at all, as you saw on BotS the other day.

And I mean this is a longer term goal. I think we really need to get a group of 4 cool people to play through all the awesome 4-player games that are out right now, or coming out soon. Just saw Fuse the other day, man, and it looks totally awesome. Google it and see, I've been meaning to start a news thread about that. And then there's Haze and Resistance 2 (if you have a PS3), and Crackdown 2, and Aliens: Colonial Marines, and the Borderlands games, and MGS: Peace Walker, and Dead Island, and at least a dozen other games I can't be bothered to list.

In the meantime, let's pick another, strictly 2-player game to play on Sunday in case we've had no luck with LP2 until then. Seeing as you've already played, or are currently playing, pretty much all the Halo/Gears/RE games, I have the following suggestions:

-Army of Two (three games in all, with the third one coming in the Spring)
-Halo Wars
-Dead Rising 2 (but I need a week to finish DR1 first -- same deal as with LP1)
-Saints Row 2 & 3
-Too Human

Just pick a game and start a thread, and I'll make sure to download it in time for Sunday.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Nic P » 17 Nov 2012 18:02

Bought the game a few days ago. Let me know when you guys are ready.
Nic P

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Nov 2012 21:16

We are ready right now but we need one more player to complete the team. If someone volunteers in the next few hours then we are playing it on Sunday, if not, you'll have to sit tight and wait with us until someone does. In the meantime don't play the game pls.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Nov 2012 21:28

You could also try getting one of your friends to join us. I see you have 27 of them. Popular man! I'd prefer it if everyone were a member of this forum, but I am not going to be strict about this otherwise it seems we'll never complete the team.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby plus » 18 Nov 2012 04:10

I can buy the game by next Sunday. If you don't find anyone for this one.
Last edited by plus on 18 Nov 2012 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
plus

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Nov 2012 07:52

Ok then. Next Sunday it is as long as recoil and Nic are free that day and you manage to make your last two posts grammatically correct so that you don't get banned in the meantime.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 19 Nov 2012 18:07

I can't make next Sunday, but I'll be free on Saturday after 12PM PST.
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Nov 2012 18:39

I am fine with that too, and we can both also do a little bit later, if necessary, say an hour or two later. So we are now waiting for Nic and plus. If they can both do it it's set, if not, maybe others can step in to fill the roster. If it doesn't pan out for this Saturday we are moving it to next weekend and I am playing Army of Two with recoil instead.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Somali Pirate » 19 Nov 2012 20:32

You can count me in for Saturday 12PM PST. Haven't played the game at all as far as I can recall.
Somali Pirate

Unread postby plus » 20 Nov 2012 00:47

Saturday works for me too.
plus

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Nov 2012 04:30

Ok, we are waiting for Nic P. If he's in SP will have to start another game since Nic posted here first. Either way we are definitely playing on Saturday. Can't wait, never tried co-op with more than two people before. Just make sure that everyone is on everyone else's friend list before then.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Nic P » 22 Nov 2012 20:39

Sorry for the delay. Saturday sounds good, I'll be free all day.
Nic P

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Nov 2012 23:04

Okay, see you all on Saturday. And if anyone else wants in on this with SP, post here and start a second team. I'll post impressions after the session too, so you'll know if the game's worth it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Nov 2012 00:31

Nic has yet to add any of us on his friend list, and I sent him an invite a week ago. So if you are going to be around and playing games tomorrow, SP, you might want to keep your copy of LP2 handy in case he, or anyone else, bails on us. Bailing is okay and I might even do it myself occasionally -- we are all (super)human after all, and things change, etc., so it's not like I am gonna ban anyone for bailing on us. It's just that the more players involved in a meeting the more people you'll be inconveniencing if you bail. I think setting up 8-player Resistance 2 or 16-player Serious Sam 3 games will be a nightmare.

And here's how we are gonna do things to avoid confusion:

1. Show up on Live at 12PM PST (noon, that is) and wait until I send you an invite to join a party I'll set up.

2. Join my party.

3. Fire up LP2.

4. Wait for an invite from me to join my game and accept it.

5. If at any point the game asks you to select a difficulty setting, you select the hardest one available.

So please follow this guideline because things might otherwise get confusing. And also please never skip a cutscene unless we're replaying a section and have already seen it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby plus » 24 Nov 2012 21:31

Sorry about the microphone problem guys. It was working fine yesterday.

Also I'm not a girl. My brother just changed my avatar to a "hot gamer girl" as a joke, and I haven't bothered to change it.
plus

Unread postby Nic P » 24 Nov 2012 22:42

Yo recoil you here? Icy's wondering what happened.
Nic P

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Nov 2012 06:17

Yeah, too bad about that. But we can't play a game like this without a mic. Or any game really. It goes without saying that for all the games we start, regardless of platform, everyone has to have a mic. Thankfully SP was there and we ended up playing. Great game and great team. I think we played 9 hours with only a half-hour break! I could play this game twice a week for the rest of my life if they kept releasing new levels. What a shame with Lost Planet 3. And E.X. Troopers has only 2-player co-op... 2-players will feel lame after this :(
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Nov 2012 06:27

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500542

distantmantra wrote:Along with the single-player storyline, a multi-player mode is included, with online play available on the PS3 and 4-player local co-op for the 3DS.

Laaaaame.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Somali Pirate » 28 Nov 2012 02:08

When's the next session gonna go down? I got plenty of time this weekend again.
Somali Pirate

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Nov 2012 02:38

Me too. Either day is fine starting 12PM PST plus or minus 2 hours.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 28 Nov 2012 05:20

I can do Sunday at 2PM PST.
recoil

Unread postby Nic P » 29 Nov 2012 02:10

Sounds good.
Nic P

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Nov 2012 02:20

Ok, it's settled then. We probably won't be playing 9 hours this time since we are starting a bit later, but I think we have a decent chance of finishing it even if we play for 4-5 hours. And then we should try taking on some dudes online. I looked at the game's lobby or whatever the other day and there seem to be quite a few teams still playing it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Next

Return to Online