Halo Wars

[360] Halo Wars

Moderator: JC Denton

[360] Halo Wars

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Nov 2012 02:57

Nic, while we wait for a fourth player for LP2, you might want to consider playing this with me. My copy should be arriving late in the week, and since you are in the same timezone with me we could play it on any evening you are available (on Legendary difficulty -- but you appear experienced with these games, so we should be okay).

Also, I see you just got into Halo 4, and if you are playing it alone I would suggest you put it on hold until we put the 4-player team together, just as recoil is doing with Gears 3. If you are too hyped to play it and can't wait, fair enough, but the way I see it is that whoever plays these games with fewer than the maximum number of players is spoiling them for himself... There are enough cool single-player games out there to keep all of us busy while we wait, I should think.

As for Halo Wars, if for some reason you are not interested say so and perhaps someone else will decide to give it a go with me.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Nic P » 18 Nov 2012 05:10

I would love to. I'll go down to my local second-hand game shop tomorrow and see if I can pick it up.
Nic P

Unread postby Nic P » 18 Nov 2012 16:39

As for Halo 4, no worries: I'm currently playing the suite of online multiplayer modes, which, by the way, are incredible. I don't know if you're a fan of competitive online FPSes (is there a better term for it?), but it's the best one I've played in a long time. These 343 guys really know what they're doing. If the campaign is anywhere near as good, it'll be a real blast.
Last edited by Nic P on 19 Nov 2012 08:28, edited 1 time in total.
Nic P

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Nov 2012 20:41

I don't like the term competitive FPS very much because of the connotations it has. So if I am playing against humans it's "competitive" but if I am playing the exact same game with the exact same settings against AI opponents it is not? (in which case even single-player campaigns are "competitive" since there too you are playing against AIs...) Doesn't make much sense to me, and now we have AIs that act "more human" than humans, as I recently pointed out in the scoring thread, so what the fuck. Still, I don't have a clear-cut superior alternative to it. I kinda fancy "versus FPS" (being a shorthand for "versus humans FPS"), but I am not going to force anyone to adopt it. I understand what people mean by "competitive FPS" and whoever prefers this term can keep using it. Or perhaps someone can suggest a superior alternative, in which case I will immediately adopt it and force it down everyone else's throats at banning-point.

As for whether I like them, I explain my attitude at length in my Counter-Strike review. In short, I treat them the same way I treat weed. I am not going to go out of my way to purchase it, but if it's being passed around, or if a friend shows up at my door with a bagful of it, I am getting wasted on it like any other stoner.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Nov 2012 01:05

I received this a couple of days ago. The rest of the co-op titles I have on order (Army of Twos, Crackdowns, etc.) will take at least a week to 10 days more, so this is the only full co-op game I have for this weekend (i.e. beyond XBLA mini-games) if Nic doesn't come through for LP2. I was supposed to play it with Nic, but if we don't end up playing LP2 I am going to play it with anyone who volunteers because I'd really like to play something on co-op this weekend.

Just make sure that you will stick with me until the end if you decide to join me. There's nothing worse than putting 20 hours into a game only for your co-op partner to ditch you and force you to start all over with someone new.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Nic P » 29 Nov 2012 02:09

I'm definitely in for LP2 this Sunday, and will be getting this early next week so we can play then, or whenever.
Nic P

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Nov 2012 02:28

If you can get it sooner we could play on Saturday, if you want. Since there are no pesky Americans involved we could play for a few hours earlier in the day, say 5 or 6PM or something. If not, then we'll arrange something for next week.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Nov 2012 18:51

Still looking for someone, other than Nic, to play this with on Saturday, who can make plans and reply to forum posts in a timely manner. Let me know if anyone's interested. I am really looking forward to playing this game. Haven't played an RTS since Age of Mythology and Cossacks in 2004 if you can believe it. And it used to be my favorite genre for years.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Nic P » 01 Dec 2012 17:49

Sorry about not replying. If you still want we could play tonight at 9 or 10PM (GMT).
Nic P

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Dec 2012 20:24

lol yeah, go fuck yourself moron.

I am still looking for someone to play this with. Hopefully with this moron's spamming out of the way I'll find one.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 09 Dec 2012 23:28

I'm up for Halo Wars, I should be free next Sunday at 2PM PST.
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Dec 2012 00:58

Great, can't wait.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 16 Dec 2012 23:25

icy, I'm online, let me know if you're still up to play.
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Dec 2012 23:28

Jesus fuck it's Sunday? I lost a day lol. I thought it was Saturday. Can you give me an hour to get some food, before the shops close?

Fuck I am really sorry dude... I've been sleeping the weirdest of hours lately, and I seem to have completely lost track of time...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 16 Dec 2012 23:31

No problem, there are always other games to play while waiting.
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Dec 2012 06:00

Fun little game. I am looking forward to the later missions, though I doubt they'll be all that complex due to the controller thing. Hopefully you'll work up an appetite for the genre so you can join me on some bigger things on the PC :)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 20 Dec 2012 06:25

Just got done playing a few 1v1 online matches. It's not very deep, but it's very fast paced and quite fun regardless, especially if you are into the Halo setting (also good for RTS newbies, exactly because of the relatively low complexity). And 4 years after release there are still around 4000 people online every time I check, with a decent mix of Human and Covenant players, so it's probably not that poorly balanced either. I'd like to try some 3v3 games (the maximum number of players allowed), so if anyone's interested let me know here and we'll arrange it after recoil and I are through with the campaign.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Dec 2012 17:52

So recoil, are we playing this Sunday, or are you busy with the holidays etc.?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 21 Dec 2012 18:46

I should have some time, how does 6PM PST sound?
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Dec 2012 20:11

Normally it would have been okay, but I just went 2 days without sleep trying to fix my sleeping pattern, and now that it's fixed I don't want to fuck it up again by staying up so late (since 6PM PST is 4AM here, plus 4 or so hours we'd be playing and there goes the entire night...)

Let me know if you can do any other day(s) during the holidays. All I'll be doing for the next week or two is swimming in the afternoon and playing games at night, so I am up for pretty much anything as long as I get a day or two notice in advance.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 22 Dec 2012 06:03

I've got two free days this coming Wednesday and Thursday. I can start around 9 or 10AM PST. It shouldn't cut into your swimming.
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Dec 2012 00:08

Let's say 11 just to be safe. I don't want to keep you waiting again. If we play 2 sessions we should be able to clear it this time. And then I should have the Army of Two games by next week.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 24 Dec 2012 13:36

I have to cancel on Wednesday, I'm doing maintenance on my car and I'm going to need all day, but I'll have time on Sunday for the second session at 11AM PST.
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Dec 2012 22:47

Okay, Thursday and Sunday at 11. It's better for me too this way.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Jun 2013 20:02

recoil, how about we try to finish this up before we start on Fuse with the other guys? I am free on Sunday from 7PM my time for at least 5 or 6 hours...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Next

Return to Online