PlanetSide 2 (2012)

[PC] [PS4] PlanetSide 2

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby Somali Pirate » 30 Sep 2014 04:41

Sorry man, I thought I had my complaints at bay. It's sometimes hard for me to figure out where you guys are at or what's going on lol.

As far as the slurred speech went, I was messing around with Xanax I got off the darknet out of boredom (not from the game, just trying out various pills you know). I'll try not to play drugged next time. Oh, and I had a blast playing.

And on another note, I've already seen huge improvements in all of you guys, probably even surpassing myself.

icycalm wrote:lol SP can be squad leader after I've moved to another game. Until then there's no chance in hell this will happen. He hates strategy and tactical games. He misses no opportunity to denigrate our attempts to move in a more coordinated, tactical manner.

I take a little offense to this. The first day we were standing on the roof, and I told you guys to get down, the team got into a sorta discussion, while I rushed up the sniper hill, took him out, spotted their Sunderer and then went on whining that we should probably take that thing out because the sniper kept spawning there.

But again I chalk this up to 60 hours of experience in the game, while y'all were playing for the first time. It got me a bit frustrated, but seeing your progress already I'm looking forward to soon crush the enemy as a cohesive unit.

Also me not liking tactics isn't entirely true. I do love a form of tactics, but just not the long planning ones. In shooters I can really fast tell what has to be done, where the threads are, where the chokepoints are, and where might be good points to flank around. With the games situations switching up so fast, it's hard to have plans that are too rigid and thought out, often times it requires on the fly thinking and switching roles back and forth. I'll always try to switch to the role that is the most important in the current situation, or that will help out best. Of course that doesn't always work out perfectly as well, when I get outaimed, surprised or some other random battlefield bullshit happens.

As this post has been edited to hell and back I might as well include some YouYube videos of the sorta tactics that really give me goosebumps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1gL6xKMjQw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96M0hH4IRvk
Last edited by Somali Pirate on 30 Sep 2014 10:17, edited 4 times in total.
Somali Pirate

Unread postby ChevRage » 30 Sep 2014 04:58

At one point earlier today I was holding a fort while icy and the others moved on to capture the next base, so while I was waiting I took a couple of screenshots which show off the scale of the land. You should click on the images to expand them.

2014-09-30_00002.jpg

The light blue markings I've put on the map below show the cone of vision in the first image.

2014-09-30_00003.jpg
ChevRage

Unread postby Some guy » 30 Sep 2014 16:11

ksevcov, Masahiro and I are playing right now. I'll be on until 6PM UTC.
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Sep 2014 17:07

SP, your bullshit is starting to get on my nerves. I'll try to make this clear to you one last time, and if you don't get the hint even now, I will remove you from our outfit.

You DO NOT LIKE TACTICS AND STRATEGY GAMES. You have made this perfectly clear to me. This PROVES, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that, as far as tactics and strategy goes, YOU ARE AN UTTER FUCKING IMBECILE. If any more proof were needed (which it isn't), your retarded recent post in the PS2 Strategy thread should provide that: http://culture.vg/forum/topic?p=24251#p24251

I am not even going to go into your fucking bullshit about how this is "a fast-paced twitch game, etc." WAR IS ALSO A FAST-PACED TWITCH GAME YOU FUCKIN' MORON, BUT WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT MEAN? THAT STRATEGY AND TACTICS ARE NOT EFFECTIVE IN FUCKING WAR?

Regardless of what your tiny imbecilic subhuman mind may think, PLANETSIDE 2 IS AT HEART A STRATEGY AND TACTICS GAME. Of course not to you, because you are not a platoon or squad leader, and you never will be -- BUT IT IS TO PEOPLE LIKE ME AND RECOIL WHO ARE IN CHARGE BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL ACTUALLY LISTEN TO US, AND WE ACTUALLY LISTEN TO PEOPLE.

So, either keep your retarded ideas to yourself, or piss off and go back to shooting the same one person in the back over and over and over again in Quake or some other retarded corridor shooter.

And if you fail to separate your posts into paragraphs one more time, you will be banned from the forum forever. I am sick and tired of editing every single one of your little retarded fucking posts. So shape up or GTFO. And either way, STFU.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Sep 2014 17:53

It's also worth pointing out that SP is in the Learn to Counter Steam group and also occasionally plays games with that annoying kid, DJ Orwell.

The person creating the most and greatest problems in the team, also happens, by some strange cosmic coincidence, to be part of a retarded antagonistic, reactionary site, and to enjoy playing games with a retarded, malignant little person.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Sep 2014 18:24

To realize how retarded everything that SP says is, consider what would happen if he charged those two Spanish platoons on his own, in his "fast-paced, twitch" manner that eschews "long-term strategic thinking" as being "ineffective".

He'd get slaughtered before getting out a single shot, no matter how high his K/D ratio.

And why? Because he was contemptuous towards tactics and strategy, whereas the Spanish guys were smart enough in these matters to set up an entire fucking army.

Or do you think that taking the time to build an army is not a strategy? It is even the oldest strategy there is: "Build a bigger army than your opponent". The only reason it's not in Sun Tzu is because it's so obvious that only someone as retarded as SP could fail to know it.

Hell, the only reason SP is playing the game again is because I AM BUILDING A FUCKING ARMY. He quit the game because he was too dumb in matters of tactics and strategy to realize that in a fucking war IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA TO JOIN AN ARMY.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Hanged Man » 01 Oct 2014 00:17

11952693229440204800_screenshots_2014-10-01_00001.jpg

Icy got dibs on the Jason mask.
Hanged Man

Unread postby CTF » 01 Oct 2014 00:37

And this is the picture I took while THM took a picture of me taking this picture!

2014-09-30_00001.jpg
CTF

Unread postby ChevRage » 01 Oct 2014 03:15

I took some screenshots from this session too.

2014-10-01_00008.jpg

2014-10-01_00003.jpg

The game looks much, much better during heavy firefights, which I keep forgetting to take photos of.
ChevRage

Unread postby Qpo » 01 Oct 2014 03:29

Man, we just had such an amazing fucking session. Not all of it was awesome, we were just 3 dudes for a while (the game gets better proportionally to how many people you play together with), but the highlight was how we defended a base in the center of the continent for I don't know how long. We initially rode in since it had the right amount of people fighting to suit our 5 or 6 soldiers deep squad, and stayed because the placement of the different capture points was just beautiful, as was the base (especially the caverns with stalagmites). jeffrobot494 was doing amazing as a medic, staying alive and always grabbing the one or two clutch kills needed to finish the latest encounter in our favor, giving him enough of a breather to revive the rest of us. And the second we're back on our feet we spot a new hostile force coming in through the mountains, or darting through the sky from a jump platform from the base of the mountain, or crawling up the caverns towards that most remote and beautiful place to defend.

To stay and defend a normal base can be fun for a short while under the right circumstances, but the combination of us not having to respawn for a very long time and how we moved around the varied and beautifully designed base was just awesome.

When we finally secured the area at the brave cost of our lives (our ground-to-air still needs work!), I check the map: Those clad in purple and blue have both pushed their territories far ahead since I last checked, pushing our own beautiful red color back towards the northwestern corner. However, there is one territory left in the middle of the continent that is neither blue nor purple. One territory left that has reinforcements neither from the north, south, west or east. One territory defiantly still standing, far from the general front line of its faction's defenses, with a base proudly nestled in the sharp peaks of tall mountains, with hidden treasures of beauty in its belly and striking views from its peak — populated with a few randoms, but held by the Insomnia Cult.
Qpo

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Oct 2014 04:24

We also worked out squad leader communication today. Just hold one key down, and only the other squad leaders can hear you, so each squad now has its own dedicated channel. Mumble is magic and works flawlessly.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 01 Oct 2014 04:30

Q, that post was beautiful. And chevvy, I love that screenshot with icy in the center. Our glorious leader...

I thought Masa would like to know how badass his Light Assault suit looks:

screenshot_20141001-17-55-44.png
jeffrobot494

Unread postby ChevRage » 01 Oct 2014 04:40

That actually reminds me that Qpo seemed doubtful about how cool his armour looks now with the new helmet. I'll have to remember to prove it to him next time.
ChevRage

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Oct 2014 04:47

Qpo's K/D ratio is now twice as high as our next best player's...

http://www.planetside-universe.com/outf ... eaderboard
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ChevRage » 02 Oct 2014 01:53

Here's that pic of the revolver you got jeff. Looks like it would be heavy as fuck.

2014-10-02_00005.jpg
ChevRage

Unread postby Hanged Man » 02 Oct 2014 23:27

11952693229440204800_screenshots_2014-10-03_00001.jpg

So apparently you can jump off a Galaxy and not get hurt. This game just got even more awesome. Also I'll try to get a better screenshot next time.
Hanged Man

Unread postby ChevRage » 03 Oct 2014 04:24

I took a few quick screenshots of the team in-between base assaults.

2014-10-03_00006.jpg

2014-10-03_00005.jpg

2014-10-03_00001.jpg

jeff and mothman, you guys should get some custom helmets. The default ones look lame, and it'd be nice to differentiate between people in the outfit without having to look up at the display names.

I can chip in and send you guys like 10 bucks each so you can buy one if you want, you've both been pretty good support as medics. Let me know if you do, and send me a link towards your PayPal accounts. Be sure to get a helmet though or you'll owe me, lol.

As far as I know the helmets currently taken are the Maniac (icy), Reaper (Qpo), Commissar Cap (Hanged Man), Phantasm (Masa), and I have both the Frumentarii and Collosus helmets for the infantry and MAX respectively. I'm not sure what the other guys have, if they have anything yet, but you should contact them to make sure. Maybe it'd be best if, in the future, people would post in this thread which helmets they got so that all of us can know.
ChevRage

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Oct 2014 02:32

Yeah, I'll gladly buy people helmets too for whoever wants them but can't afford them. Just post in this thread and chevvy and I will sort you out. At the same time, I don't want people to think that premium helmets are a requirement to play with us. And certainly not for those who try the game for a few hours to see if they like it, and then end up not playing it again. We are only talking about regular team members who put in a lot of hours. I don't want to do anything that will discourage people from joining us and giving the game a try.

By the way, those are some awesome team pics up there. At some point we need to set up a pic with a couple of planes on the background and the entire team in the middle surrounded by vehicles. I am just waiting until the team gets to say 20 or 30 people before doing it.

On another note, I am keeping the L4D and D:OS threads under wraps for a couple more weeks for two reasons: 1. To keep our focus on PS2 for a while longer, and "strike while the iron is hot" so to speak, in order to see how much we can grow the team, and 2. To see if we can put some extra time into PA before our first league game next weekend.

Both L4D and D:OS are great games that we will continue playing and finish in due course. This is just a temporary break. I just want the site to focus on PS2 and PA for the next couple of weeks to complement my forthcoming reviews of these games (believe it or not, lol), and the creation of a new section on the sidebar of the frontpage devoted to the exploits of The Cult. It should be grand, so look forward to it please. And remember: this weekend is PS2 weekend too. I probably won't be able to play on Saturday (need to go to a store halfway across the island to return my laptop and "buy" a new one lol), but I'll be playing all day Sunday, and I hope to see you all online.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Oct 2014 03:21

Now to answer those two earlier posts by SP and CTF that I skipped over in the previous page:

Somali Pirate wrote:I think this can be curbed a bit by not deploying in the 50vs50 hotspots, and taking small bases at a time, where there are only a handful enemies we can more easily overpower, at least until they call in their huge zerg backup hehe.

First off, there is no such thing in PS2 as "50v50 hotspots". You are giving a false impression of the game to people. You can attack and capture an empty base, and you can find yourself in 20v100 situations, and everywhere in-between. The game is nowhere near as balanced and orderly as you make it appear to be.

Second off, what you propose is exactly what I've been doing from our very first moments in the game. We even made a video of it and I'll upload it to YT at some point. Mere minutes after we started the game I took the team out of a heavy firefight and went off to capture an empty base, and we've been operating on this principle of least resistance ever since. The fact that you never realized this while playing with us for so many hours is yet another sign of how disconnected you were from the rest of the team. (I.e. of the fact that you were never really part of it.)

As for the rest of your suggestions regarding tactics, they are too facile to be worthy of being labeled as such. "If you see air, jump into some anti-air" is not tactics: it is a common sense reaction (and a knee-jerk reaction at that) that breaks down when we are talking about any more complex scenario than a 4v4 fight. If we are talking about 100v100 base assault with dozens of air and ground vehicles thrown into the mix and multiple other bases being attacked and/or defended all around you at the same time, facile knee-jerk reactions like yours will get you nowhere. You need a thinking person there.

CTF wrote:I also think that art is about having fun but can we also agree that winning is fun?

No we can't. Winning may SEEM fun to HABITUAL LOSERS. But to winners there's nothing more boring than winning. Too much winning is even a reason to quit the game altogether. So for me the opposite to what you say is true: Losing is fun, winning is boring. That's why I always stack the odds against me in whatever game I happen to be playing.

CTF wrote:If so, then why are you against friendly training (assuming of course the training is also fun).

I already told you that training is boring. Are you even reading what I am saying? And in any case, you can hardly be bothered to play with us when we are properly playing, and you are trying to make us do practice drills in the fucking game? lol dude. Don't you have anything better to be doing than posting this bullshit in my forum?

CTF wrote:Bottoms line is: It is not only better to play the game with friends versus strangers but also it is better to improve in the game in the same manner than with friends versus friends.

Am I on the right track here? Do I understand you correctly?

You do not appear to have understood a single word I said. And I don't think that repeating myself will help you any. The words are there. Reread them, if you want, but I don't know how to explain myself any better than I already have.

CTF wrote:I guess this game also just gets better and better with time and your investment in it but unfortunately for now I have only 2-3 hours during the weekdays to play, I'll do my best though. I can totally see how better the game gets with each player in the squad and I hope that our group will grow. Being part of something huge and organized like that Spanish clan from yesterday seems like an AMAZING experience.

You cannot be part of something huge and organized like that without having to do anything yourself. The only reason our team is growing is because we are PLAYING. If we stopped playing, the team would stop growing. Indeed it wouldn't even exist. Not sure if you are catching my meaning here. Amazing things do not fall out of the sky. People put in the effort to make them happen.

And not to mince words, because it's not my style, I think that you and that berserkez dude (who also happens to be in the IDF, by the way) are lame. You dudes prefer to play Final Fantasy or "Deadly Premonition" than the best co-op FPS ever. What is even the point of this discussion? No one here is obligated to play games with us. Just tell us you don't like the game and be done with it. Or that you don't like it enough to play for more than 2-3 hours a week. There's no problem with that: even if someone can only jump in for one hour a week, that's still an extra gun for us for that one hour -- it's still welcome. But don't fucking give me bullshit about not having enough time when you are online playing other games all the time. In fact stop posting in this thread altogether. We don't need your stupid suggestions to start training in PS2 as if we are in a real army. You are just wasting our time at this point, and clogging up the thread with nonsense. Instead, try posting about the things you like, if you feel like posting something. Post about Final Fantasy, or Donkey Kong, or whatever the hell it is you play.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ChevRage » 04 Oct 2014 05:46

And here's jeffrobot's new helmet:

2014-10-04_00001.jpg
ChevRage

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Oct 2014 06:15

Not quite in keeping with the style of the rest of the squad, but I think it looks pretty good when combined with that armor. That's a premium armor too, no?

By the way, I said it in Mumble the other day, but it's worth repeating here: people don't have to play any specific class just because we lack it. Medics, for example. Does anyone really want to play a Medic? Don't do it if you don't want to. I would rather you picked a class that you like, so that you'll enjoy the game all the more and stick around to play more with us. We can live without Medics. There are health items we can unlock and equip, and when there's a Sunderer nearby someone can quickly change into a Medic to heal people, and then switch back, when needed. If everyone wants to play MAX, so be it. I think everything can be made to work if we adjust our playing style accordingly. The only reason I am playing an Engineer is because I want to. It feels good repairing vehicles, setting up turrets and mines, etc. So follow my example and play exactly the kind of class you want to.

On another note, something I wanted to add about the SP/CTF posts above. Consider that the lamest suggestions about how to play the game (SP: without tactics, CTF: with drills, as if we were a real army), came from people who are either incapable of playing as a part of a team, or who don't like the game enough to play it much anyway -- whereas people who actually like the game are playing it all the time and have no problems whatsoever with the way we play it. What I am trying to say with this is that the grumbling and the lame suggestions come from people who are not even really playing the game. Just like with that LTC moron who keeps shitting on PA even though it's evident from what he says that he hasn't even bothered to really play it. The annoying thing here is not that these people do not like these games. It's that they try to dress up their obvious dislike with spurious reasoning. In the case of SP, it is clear that he lacks all the mental faculties for team-play and coordination. So instead of simply saying that co-op games with large teams are not his cup of tea, he tries to turn the whole thing around, and make it seem as if there is a problem with how WE play the game. CTF simply doesn't like the game very much, and is posting random stuff God knows why, and the LTC moron is shitting on PA simply because he doesn't want to be seen to be agreeing with me, in order to appear to be "original".

Bottom line is: be genuine, IF you can. Because it is extremely fucking tiresome to have to deal with you when you are not.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 04 Oct 2014 06:40

The armor is the one I started with. I removed the red and black camo that a lot of us are wearing though. I picked that helmet because I really liked being able to see some of my character's face. Most of the helmets with full face coverage looked like they were being worn by robots.

Edit: at least, in the store preview they did. In screen shots it's obvious we are all human.
jeffrobot494

Unread postby Qpo » 04 Oct 2014 14:38

The screenshots in this thread inspired me to raise my graphics from Low to Ultra. The game is absolutely gorgeous now: driving a Sunderer to our next point of attack during sunset in the jungles of Hossin made me forget all about terror-inspiring MAXes and frustration-inducing infiltrators — until I'm out of the vegetation and a hostile aircraft puts a shell on my roof and I'm shaken back to the heat of combat.

With Ctrl+F you can see your frames per second in the lower left corner. Next to it you'll probably see either "[CPU]" or "[GPU]", indicating which is currently working the hardest. If you only ever see [CPU] it means you should be able to raise your graphics without having it affect performance that much.
Qpo

Unread postby Hanged Man » 04 Oct 2014 15:42

Qpo wrote:The screenshots in this thread inspired me to raise my graphics from Low to Ultra. The game is absolutely gorgeous now: driving a Sunderer to our next point of attack during sunset in the jungles of Hossin made me forget all about terror-inspiring MAXes and frustration-inducing infiltrators — until I'm out of the vegetation and a hostile aircraft puts a shell on my roof and I'm shaken back to the heat of combat.

2014-10-04_00001.jpg

2014-10-04_00004.jpg

2014-10-04_00008.jpg
Hanged Man

Unread postby ChevRage » 09 Oct 2014 12:39

2014-10-09_00002.jpg

2014-10-09_00003.jpg

I think I might be a little obsessed with the sunrises/sunsets in this game lol.
ChevRage

PreviousNext

Return to Online