Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III - Prophecy of War (2017)

[PC] Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III - Prophecy of War

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III - Prophecy of War

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Mar 2017 18:53

A bit premature, since the game is not out for another five weeks, but I needed a thread to link off the frontpage recruitment announcement.

So who is interested in getting into this on day 1? I am in 100%; it looks like the best VS MP RTT ever. The previous Dawn of War games were just reskins of Company of Heroes, from what I can gather by skimming the average reviews of these games on Steam, but this looks like Relic doubled down and gave the franchise a proper design treatment. In the absence of any significant RTS release since PA: Titans, this is looking like the best next thing, and I am happy to support its developers and publishers by paying full whack on release.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Qpo » 18 Mar 2017 01:52

I'm getting it day 1. That is a Thursday, so chances are I'll more or less be doing a four day marathon. Can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to a highly populated game in this setting.
Qpo

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Mar 2017 16:19

Via Steam chat:

CULT|icycalm: Hey man
CULT|icycalm: We are looking for people for several games right now, check the frontpage and come into Discord if you are available
shock therapy: Yeah I saw the notice. I'm in the middle of thesis writing at the moment, but I'm definitely up for Dawn of War 3 when it hits.
CULT|icycalm: Your thesis will be done by then?
shock therapy: Hopefully yeah, still a month or so right?
CULT|icycalm: 5 weeks
shock therapy: Perfect. I'm sitting on a Steam voucher too, so I'll save it for that.
CULT|icycalm: Cool, I'll post in the forum that you are in for DOW3
shock therapy: Great. I'm looking forward to joining you guys. I'll let you know as soon as my time is free. Hopefully mid April or so.
CULT|icycalm: Just come on Discord when you are ready
shock therapy: Cool, see you then

recoil has also added the game to his wishlist, so I hope he'll jump in.

I'll make sure my fridge is stocked for four days on the 27th so I can do the marathon with you without having to leave the apartment. Hopefully more people will join.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 24 Mar 2017 19:27

You can count me in for this.
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Apr 2017 05:06

Price in that link is down to $42.70. I am thinking of buying soon. I don't think it will go any lower than that before launch, and then it will probably be weeks if not months after launch before it goes lower.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Qpo » 06 Apr 2017 19:24

Sometime on Saturday the 29th I'm going to be away for several hours. (Feels a bit over-the-top to "announce" it this early, but it is set in stone and it'd feel shitty to bring it up suddenly in the middle of an on-going marathon.)
Qpo

Unread postby Qpo » 06 Apr 2017 19:41

It sucks ass that I missed it when I looked on the computer to confirm I was free. I caught it now because it was stored in my phone's calendar. Wouldn't put anything here after we've made plans but it was planned over 60 years ago so it's not something I can move or skip.
Qpo

Unread postby Qpo » 06 Apr 2017 19:50

Continued from http://culture.vg/forum/topic?p=28480#p28480

I wrote:I'm also looking to do the campaign first in Dawn of War III. If you guys are up for it I'm prepared to vow "No rest for the righteous.", i.e. first break comes after campaign is finished and no sooner. (Note that I have not an inkling how long it is.)

How about it?
Qpo

Unread postby Qpo » 06 Apr 2017 19:56

With my one exception being the conflicting plans, but if we're in the territory of beyond 48 hours we might have other problems...
Qpo

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Apr 2017 20:01

That post was just a joke. I am a 39-year-old man who's had a very exciting life, to put it mildly. I can't even go 12 hours without sleeping under normal conditions, or at least without wanting to sleep. And if I am not well-rested I definitely enjoy games less than when I am. So I'll do my best to be awake and playing at normal hours, but I will certainly need breaks, and I expect others will too. Marathon to me means that I won't leave the house and I won't engage in any other activities, like writing or playing other games or updating sites, etc. Which should still leave plenty of time to finish the campaign and start the MP, I should think.

But yeah, assuming it's got a 2P co-op campaign, you and me are one team. And maybe recoil and shock therapy can be another?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby infernovia » 07 Apr 2017 16:50

I am interested, but likely won't be able to play the campaign till June.
infernovia

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Apr 2017 18:13

Qpo wrote me that he is quitting games again (or at least online ones, I am not sure exactly) so you and me are playing the campaign together recoil. Though we might as well forget the marathon at this point since it was chiefly his idea. Let's just play the campaign at a normal pace, and start with MP once we are done. shock therapy should join us for MP, and later infern too, so we'll easily have enough people for 3v3, and hopefully more will jump in later.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Apr 2017 19:25

At this point I don't even see much reason to jump straight into 3. It was Qpo who was a huge fan of the series and who's played all the games, and it was for his sake that I decided to start with 3, but now we could take our time and do at least all the previous campaigns first (the stories are apparently connected). 3 will have a large MP base for years, so we don't miss out on anything by delaying it for a couple of months.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Online