default header

[PC] [MAC] [PS4] [ONE] ARK: Survival Evolved

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] [MAC] [PS4] [ONE] ARK: Survival Evolved

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Jun 2017 02:55

This is on sale for the next 15 hours on Steam for €13,04 inc. the expansion (make sure you don't get the cheaper option without the expansion):

http://store.steampowered.com/app/34611 ... l_Evolved/

It also has PC-Mac crossplay: https://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2015/ ... nux-users/

After Rust, I am very interested in these games, and this seems to be the next step up from it because it has a longer/more complex endgame, which is Rust's main issue. We still have some time before we are done with Rust, and I would like to try Astroneer after, but sometime in the next couple of months I'll look into starting a group for this one, and this is certainly the cheapest this game is going to get within that timeframe, so grab it if it looks like something you'll be interested in, and post here so that I have some idea of how many people are interested.

Note also that it supports the Rift, but doesn't require it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 05 Jun 2017 04:02

Dinosaur wars sold me on the game, lol.
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Jun 2017 04:12

Watch all the videos on the Steam page -- every single one is a must-watch, and especially the last.

The complexity of the crafting is incredible. It's ten times the game Rust is. It's basically first-person Age of Empires.

We are gonna get our asses handed to us in this one though. I can see us "beating" Rust with 6-7 people if we start at a new wipe, but I can't see us beating this with anything less than a couple dozen people.

I don't care though. We can start playing and streaming and learning the game, and since it's so tough and so deep, we'll be playing for some time, and hopefully more people will start joining and we'll reach a decent number of players.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Saf » 05 Jun 2017 07:19

Have eyed this one for a while, count me in.
Saf

Unread postby Some guy » 05 Jun 2017 07:46

Bought it.
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Jun 2017 12:21

It's still on sale for about five more hours, so I urge more people to get it because it's GOTY 2015. I will replace Dying Light with it, and post a massive 5/5 review, but won't have time to do this before the sale ends. So here are the reviews which I will add together, plus the one I already linked above, to make Insomnia's GOTY review:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656 ... ed/346110/

I will also post some negative reviews in the thread, but note that all of them are from people with thousands of hours. Suffice it to say that if you have thousands of hours in a game and you downvote it, you are retarded.

When even the downvoters have thousands of hours in a game, you know it's a masterpiece.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Hanged Man » 05 Jun 2017 13:47

Got the game as well!
Hanged Man

Unread postby Yurian » 05 Jun 2017 14:41

I just bought the game. It looks great!
Yurian

Unread postby recoil » 05 Jun 2017 15:24

I'm insanely hyped for this, I watched the videos and read those negative reviews and I'm now fully convinced things are getting close to brain jacking and the matrix, lol. I'm sitting here thinking about the possibilities and how we could take over the game world. Start a revolution, overthrow an alpha tribe, install our own brutal dictatorship, and then war with all the other tribes. Then again, we might just end up as peons and slaves just like all those negative reviewers with thousands of hours, lol.
recoil

Unread postby infernovia » 05 Jun 2017 16:11

Bought it.
infernovia

Unread postby Robomoo » 05 Jun 2017 17:21

Got the game too.
Robomoo

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Jun 2017 17:26

The negative reviews are basically by people who either weren't good/smart enough to win, or who simply were too stupid to know when to stop once they had seen and done everything the game had to offer them. Basically either people with ressentiment/pessimists -- just like in real life -- or people who expected Ark to replace their real lives. One dude played for 6,000 hours and then downvoted the game lol.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Jun 2017 17:29

It's basically PlanetSide with base-making. Instead of just capturing ad infinitum the same bases in the same spots for no reason, you make your own, and destroy the enemies' ones. Plus, no three fixed sides to the war, but an unlimited number of fluctuating ones. Plus, no artificial wipes.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Jun 2017 22:13

Well, we got a nice number of people out of this sale:

screenshot-steamcommunity.com-2017-06-05-22-10-18.png

I am hoping that the review and GOTY status will eventually convince a few more people to join us, even at a higher price. It's definitely worth whatever its makers may ask for it, and there could be another sale before we start, so let's keep an eye on that.

Also, let us know if anyone is planning to use the Rift with it. I am wondering if my devkit 1 will work with it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Saf » 13 Jun 2017 06:12

Ark: Survival Evolved leaving early access in August
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/0 ... ly-access/
Saf

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Jun 2017 12:49

ARK Survivor's Pack €19,97 on Steam right now. Not as good a deal as the last one, but you likely won't get a better one before we start the game.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Jun 2017 21:41

Me, dan, recoil and Robo are starting this tonight at 10:30PM UTC. Everyone is invited to join us any time. And this Saturday's session, and indeed the entire weekend, will be devoted to this game too. We have moved from Rust to this for good. For more details, check the Discord. I have posted pages and pages of related comments on this and discussion with the other people.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Jun 2017 23:40

We tried ARK and it proved a disappointment. I've written some comments in the GOTY thread [ > ], and a lot more on Discord, for those interested in details, but the gist of it is that we are going back to Rust for the foreseeable future, as it is definitely currently the best game in the genre by far, with scarcely anything even on the horizon that seems like it can challenge it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Apr 2018 05:51

From Discord:

I wrote:I've been thinking more about ARK recently, and I've been wondering whether the game's problems wouldn't be solved by playing on our own server. The main problem is that it never wipes, so when you join a server there are already a couple of fully powered clans, and there is nothing you can do about it. But if we run our own server, and get enough people to split ourselves into two teams, and play once a week for a few hours, that issue disappears. So it's something to think about, and gives me another reason to try to get a server again. I was just about to review the game, but I don't feel good about abandoning it without trying this solution, because it's a hugely ambitious game that deserves every chance to be properly enjoyed.
Even a 3v3 should be fun
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Online