default header

Roleplaying

PF1|PF2 Pathfinder Adventure Path: Kingmaker

Moderator: JC Denton

PF1|PF2 Pathfinder Adventure Path: Kingmaker

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Jan 2022 13:32

The upcoming 2E remake of Kingmaker will feature new "Government" mechanics. They don't sound terribly complex, going by the following post by James Jacobs, but any new mechanics are welcome and will certainly make the rules and the adventure more complex, which again makes me glad we delayed running Kingmaker. We can then take these mechanics and apply them to the whole world, and complexify them as needed, adding revolution and change-of-government mechanics ourselves.

https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2l7ns&page ... Here#83011

James Jacobs wrote:
Losonti wrote:I saw you mention in the Kingmaker thread that, instead of a Background, your Kingdom has a Government. How wide ranging are the available Governments? Can we make a republic or democracy, or is it generally different flavors of feudalism?

I believe there's probably 6 choices? Not many, in any case, but if I recall correctly (and it's been 2 weeks now since I've been at work, so ... vacation brain is a thing), there's options to play different sorts of governments. We still call it Kingmaker and refer to it as a Kingdom in the book, so you'll want to adjust those words in play as you want, but yeah, I think there's options there.

Not really much in the way of "Let's switch mid campaign from this government to the other" though without just letting the PCs retcon the choice. Kind of analogous to how a PC can't really just change their background without just out-of-game rebuilding with GM choice.

While it might be "realistic" to have rules for revolutions and anarchy all leading into new governments, that doesn't feel like a particularly fun thing to play out these days for me, and it's certainly not the point of Kingmaker, which is to build your own nation, not to build one and then tear it down and rebuild it. The rules suggest that if the players want to change their government, they just do so with GM permission and continue the campaign like that was always the choice along the way; there aren't really rules for how to play that out in game this time around.

EDIT: In the end the feel of the rules is pretty much the same, regardless of the type of government you chose. Your government helps to determine a few boosts to your Kingdom abilities and gives you some trained skills and a feat type thing... it really does work about the same as a character Background from a rules stance (again, if I recall correctly), so the TYPE of government your kingdom has is largely flavor and roleplay fuel once you get going. It's not going to drastically impact how you build your kingdom or what sort of events or plot twists will happen.

Btw the Bestiary for PF2 Kingmaker will also be available for 5E. Just the Bestiary, not the whole campaign. These are the new books:

If you're wondering why only this campaign gets its own Bestiary, it's because with PF1 Kingmaker they could assume you would own all the PF1 Bestiaries (there are six of them), while with the PF2 remake every single enemy in the campaign must be rebuilt for PF2, ergo a whole book was needed, and it's that book that they decided—as a KS stretch goal I think it was—to offer in 5E too for 5E DMs who want to adapt Kingmaker to 5E. The monsters are the toughest thing to adapt. The monsters and the NPCs. I am not sure if the NPCs are included in the 5E book.

Keep in mind that the "Ultimate Campaign" rules don't exist for PF2, so they have had to adapt those too for the remake, and I guess it must have been in that process that they reworked them, adding stuff, and hopefully removing nothing.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: PF1|PF2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Unread postby icycalm » 20 Jan 2022 14:28

Beak seems ok with stopping Kingmaker. If Archonus did the same, it would make things a lot simpler for everyone as we’d just have four teams of four players each—perfectly balanced for the Kingmaker battle royale opening. That said, my campaign can certainly handle unbalanced groups, or even lone players, so everyone will get an individual choice if they want to play in this. Whoever doesn’t want to can play West Marches (or its successor if that has been completed by then—more soon in a Patreon update); and if there are four or more people who want to opt out they can simply start a new campaign.

This megacampaign however will be the only way to get a chance to participate in the Beneos/Foundry-powered Curse of Strahd campaign (or at least the first attempt of it, because if the first attempt fails there’ll be further ones, and in those anyone can participate from any campaign). So I have set secret conditions in the Kingmaker campaign that, when met, will draw the characters that meet them into Ravenloft, up to the eight maximum that the original Ravenloft adventure allowed. And don’t forget also that Curse of Strahd goes up to only 11th-level, at which point the characters may return to the River Kingdoms and get involved once again with the Kingmaker campaign.

Don’t forget also that the updated PF2 version of Kingmaker comes out in the spring, and that’s the one I’ll be running, backported to PF1.

How far are we from doing all this stuff? Not as far as you may think. The Oppara crew is already about halfway through the first of six parts of their campaign. So 11x what they’ve already played and they are done. I don’t see why this can’t be done before the end of the year, by which time Beneos will have finished all the locations and creatures of Curse of Strahd and PF2 Kingmaker will be out and we’ll have everything we need to get going. Remember also that we have full OSTs for both campaigns, for Kingmaker from the CRPG and for Curse of Strahd from Travis Savoie: https://youtu.be/uLpRctqGTWw

In addition, we have all the characters and creatures from the CRPG to be imported into TaleSpire, and the whole kingdom-building happening there.

It will be the best megacampaign of all time taking place in the best game of all time, and we’re barely a year away from it. And after it’s done people are free to play the CRPG. In fact I recommend that everyone play it at that point.

P.S. leccosta has finished the CRPG, but as long as he knows nothing about Curse of Strahd there may be a way to draw him in there, assuming he wants to, depending on how the megacampaign goes, and if more players are needed to fill out the max of eight. The same goes for other players that may join us by then. I’ll have more details when we’re about ready to start running the megacampaign.

Note that since the current campaigns will end asynchronously, we have several options for how to handle the teams that get done first. They could just stop playing so that I’d have more time to run the remaining campaigns and thus wrap them up faster, or they could play one-shots from other settings or even RPGs. These could be run by me, or by another GM among us if we want me to have the extra time to speed up the remaining campaigns.

TL;DR This year will be super-exciting for Battlegrounds as the project begins to mature, and next year will be even more exciting as we run the coolest PVP/co-op Foundry/TaleSpire-powered megacampaign of all time.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Archonus » 21 Jan 2022 02:19

I'm more than willing to stop playing the Kingmaker CRPG.
Archonus

Unread postby icycalm » 31 Jan 2022 03:41

Someone’s started doing the Kingmaker locations in TaleSpire; he’s done the first three so far. If he keeps going, we could potentially play the whole campaign in TaleSpire, not just the kingdom-building. Hex map in Foundry and zoomed-in everything in TaleSpire.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Mar 2022 03:43

So I am examining the possibility of running Pathfinder Second Edition next year when we start the updated PF2 version of Kingmaker. Just for that one campaign, not for all of them, simply because that will be the native system, and that's how I am treating ALL adventures: running them in their native systems instead of haphazardly converting stuff like other GMs are doing. It'll be a brand-new 640-page rulebook, but we'll have Fantasy Grounds to help us, so we should be okay. Moreover, there is a pretty good chance that the campaign will be adapted for Foundry, as a bunch of companies are doing conversions for their games now, and I suspect Paizo will be jumping in soon. Everyone says great things for the Foundry PF2 implementation, so it'd make perfect sense for the new Kingmaker to be adapted there. Of course Fantasy Grounds will have it too.

And of course we'll be running Curse of Strahd on Foundry too next year with Beneos's assets, so we'll have to learn 5E too. So basically TWO new systems AND a new VTT next year. It'll be a busy year! But by the end of it we'll be well-versed on three of the best fantasy systems, and THE three best VTTs (TaleSpire, Foundry, Fantasy Grounds).

By the end of next year Insomnia will be the role-playing center of the world, and we'll be the premier experts, running the premier universe, mark my words.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Jul 2022 05:21

It finally happened. Kingmaker 2e anniversary is starting being printed.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/c ... versary_is

This is what we'll be playing next year. Hopefully in Foundry at 4K if they convert it, which they probably will as it's hella popular. So get ready to learn PF2 and Foundry next year. And of course Curse of Strahd in Foundry too for 5E.

Btw, in the same thread, Paizo publisher Erik Mona says that Rise of the Runelords will get the same treatment at some point. He's probably just joking, but it's worth mentioning.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Jul 2022 19:56

https://twitter.com/pjmegaw/status/1546 ... 21/photo/1

Kingmaker Special Edition for Pathfinder Second Edition.

That's what The Cult will start playing next year... and for a decade thereafter, with the kingdom-building and massive battles running entirely in TaleSpire for unparalleled detail.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: PF1|PF2 Pathfinder Adventure Path: Kingmaker

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Aug 2022 03:37

INCREDIBLE news today!

PF2 Kingmaker is definitely coming to Foundry at 4K, with soundtrack etc.! It was rumored before, but now it's official.

New PF2e Foundry Upcoming Releases Announced
https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/c ... _announced

Kingmaker Teaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybcsY3Q9OSo

It's just a teaser, I expect a full trailer eventually.

This is in every way imaginable superior to both the PF1 version (that's on Fantasy Grounds), and of course the CRPG. You get an expanded game, with multiplayer, 4K art, and to top it all off we play it the ideal way over a decade in the background as the metaplot progresses across other campaigns.

There's nothing stopping us from starting this the moment we wrap up the current campaigns.

Release date is "sometime in the beginning of next year", so that'll suit us fine. It will probably be the end of next year by the time we're ready to start it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 27 May 2023 13:11

PaizoCon Teaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEV5ktd ... XVyolQO3wj

New teaser just dropped from PaizoCon for 4K Kingmaker Second Edition on Foundry! We're not far from playing this! The moment you're done with your current campaigns, we begin! It'll be the ultimate Kingmaker experience because I don't think anyone has ever ran it 4-team co-op/PVP, nor built the entire kingdom in TaleSpire, nor taken a full decade to run it in the background while dozens of other campaigns are running at the same time and interacting with it.

Hopefully we'll have a full trailer in a few months to salivate over.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Sep 2023 22:14

Release Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru-gePN ... XVyolQO3wj

Truly the future of roleplaying. Also, of strategy-roleplaying. So you can play the new Master of Magic or Songs of Conquest et al. that people like me were playing 30 years ago, or you can get with the times and play the cutting-edge of today, which makes the past look like a Game Boy Color microgame. It's your choice if you want to live in the 2020s or 1990s.

And even that pales next to what I am planning. Because I am planning for dozens of players. Irl decade-spanning metaplot. TaleSpire-powered city-building. And all of it coming soonTM, only on Alex Kierkegaard's Battlegrounds.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Roleplaying