Planetary Annihilation

Cosmic War

PC|MAC Planetary Annihilation

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Oct 2014 00:25

Continued from the same thread:

pizwitch wrote:I think it would easily be far too complex for one game. By going for a new game, they have more gameplay and art freedom.

I wrote:I don't believe there's such a thing as "far too complex". At least not for a century or so more. PA is far below my cognitive ability to process information -- though, to be sure, I realize that there are plenty of people for whom it is overwhelming. So yes, increasing complexity will lead to diminishing players, past a certain point. In fact it already has -- just look at the success of StarCraft compared to SupCom. But Uber should push on as far as they economically can.

As for HR having more "gameplay" freedom than PA... I think that's only true if you consider novelty as freedom. Sure, it can do things that PA can't, but PA can do A LOT MORE things that HR can't, which is what it means for a game to be more complex than another. Just like it happened with Colonization and Civilization. Colonization was an extremely playable and enjoyable game for a month or so, but once the novelty wore off, what do you think the players did? They all went back to Civilization, because it was the more complex. And that's what will happen with HR if it manages to get made. So the more complex game will always be the better investment in the long term, both on the part of the players, and the developers. The short term is another story of course.

This whole exchange prompted a PM from a senior Realm member, and two replies by me, which I include here:

mered4 wrote:[PSA] Derailing Topics

Stop. Doing. It.

it's infuriating to go through a thread and just watch you derail it on a whim. You know what I'm talking about, now please, cease and desist. You already have an awful reputation here for this sort of thing. It's not cute. It's not mature. It's not getting your point across, and it makes you look desperate.

Thank you.

-- Mered4

I wrote:lol no idea whatchou talking about willis

I wrote:To be more precise, this is how many fucks I give about "bad reputations" or what internet message board posters think is "maturity" or all the other issues you have with me:

icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Oct 2014 03:15

A discussion on PA as "esport" and balance issues in which I've made a number of posts so far (too many to bother copy-pasting in here):

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/plan ... ort.65017/

The positivity resulting from Uber's recently increased communications about the future of PA has made the forum an interesting and fun place to post again.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Oct 2014 02:15

icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 14 Oct 2014 18:02

Official ladder coming soon!

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/a-sm ... ate.65219/

jables wrote:A small teaser on our next update

Bit early for me to be able to share details, but I will be adding more to this as we get more estimates this week. That being said, I wanted to share a quick teaser pic I took of one of our guys working on some upcoming stuff.

Lemme know if this sort of thing is interesting, and I can do more of it in the future. More details to be added to this as we lock things down :)

teaser1.JPG
teaser1.JPG (82.31 KiB) Viewed 203635 times
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 25 Nov 2014 23:41

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/buil ... ive.66158/

Jables wrote:
pa1v1.png
pa1v1.png (128.13 KiB) Viewed 203547 times

Build 75539 is live!

Leaderboards are live! Starting now you can see where you stack against the world. Work your way up, and take the number 1 Uber spot!

We’re happy to announce the release of the full 1v1 Competitive Update! We started working toward this with our 1v1 ranked games and matchmaking in our last update, and have moved it to the full experience by including the Leaderboards allowing you to see the top of each rank and where you land in the world of rankings, as well as bringing in 3 new symmetrical 1v1 maps custom made for our ranked play!

With this in mind, we have also reset the rankings to start the Leaderboards fresh. You’ll need to play your 5 provisional games to get your new rank.

Our System Designer now has the ability to make symmetrical planets, do CSG editing, and add custom metal placement for all you modders and planet creators out there! This is the first steps on this, and we plan on expanding the functionality of the designer even further in the future!

There’s been a ton of changes, tweaks, and bugfixes in this one, so keep reading for a more detailed list!

[General] You are now able to chat after games, even in chronocam mode
[General] Added in backer names on more commanders in the Armory
[General] More backer names are now in for planets and Galactic War credits
[General] Nukes now have a specific effect if they happen in space
[General] Jigs have a new custom explosion effect

[Balance] Jigs now explode in a nuke sized explosion (drag select will space these to be safe, but you can hand place them closer if you feel lucky)
[Balance] Change to Dox vision from 150 to 100
[Balance] Commander torpedoes rate of fire reduced from 2.0 per second to 1.0 per second
[Balance] Commander torpedoes range reduced from 200 to 160
[Balance] Dox will now correctly fire on factories
[Balance] Nuke damage will now expand out to match the effect

[Ranked] Leaderboards are now online (found under Multiplayer off the main menu)
[Ranked] Players can watch the last replay of the top 10 of each rank in the Leaderboards
[Ranked] 3 new custom made 1v1 planets for Ranked play, to replace the old pool
[Ranked] You can no longer pause in ranked games
[Ranked] Disconnecting in a ranked game now pauses it and gives the disconnected player 180 seconds to reconnect before they forfeit
[Ranked] A player has 30 seconds to show up for a ranked lobby before the game is abandoned
[Ranked] A player disconnecting from a ranked lobby now immediately abandons the game (and applies a penalty to the abandoning player, like before)
[Ranked] Players are now notified when they have a match and are tabbed away (flashing icon and sound)
[Ranked] A new and louder sound now plays when you find a match.

[System Designer] We’ve implemented symmetrical planet creation
[System Designer] You can now edit CSGs (move, add, delete, copy, paste, rotate, raise, and lower them)
[System Designer] You can now place or remove metal spots
[System Designer] All System Editor hotkeys can be found under settings and changed if you like
[System Designer] Orbiting bodies are not allowed to be more massive than what they are orbiting (As a placeholder fix, the system designer will move the orbiting planet to orbit the sun if you increase mass higher than the planet it orbits)
[System Designer] Water flows into custom CSG

[UI] Lots of small changes to bring more continuity through the UI
[UI] When first entering game, we have a bar added to give new players an idea of the initial controls
[UI] Top 3 players from the Leaderboard are listed on main menu along with their last replay
[UI] The message telling you that your opponent abandoned the ranked lobby will no longer disappear after 5 seconds.

[AI] Now uses Gas Giants
[AI] Neural net tweaks
[AI] Will now build Annihilaser
[AI] Better handling of platoons
[AI] All known issues of AI getting stuck now fixed
[AI] Added a large set of new AI names
[AI] Now better performance in the late game due to smarter pathing choices

[Bug fixes] Changing economy after everyone has clicked ready will unready everyone
[Bug fixes] Your rank changes will now immediately update after a match
[Bug fixes] Replaced the messed up “5” in the font
[Bug fixes] Landing zone low resolution circles now removed
[Bug fixes] Straight line graphics bug when you look up through atmosphere into space is now fixed
[Bug fixes] Linux should now correctly load all translated locales
[Bug fixes] You should now be able to see the quit confirmation even if the game is paused
[Bug fixes] Nukes and commander explosion damage should now better match the visual effect
[Bug fixes] Fixed some of the instances of jerky movement
[Bug fixes] Orbital Fabbers will now correctly build on planets other than their current planet
[Bug fixes] Fixed detection that the planet you are orbiting was destroyed while attempting to move somewhere else
[Bug fixes] Commander AA now prioritizes air correctly
[Bug fixes] You should no longer be incorrectly prompted to reconnect to an old game
[Bug fixes] Attempting to requeue after playing matchmaking should no longer prompt you to reconnect to the game you just played
[Bug fixes] Connecting to a matchmaking game should be more reliable

[Armory] New Commander: Berlinetta
[Armory] New Commander: Banditks
jeffrobot494

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Dec 2014 03:21

The Unit Cannon will be in the game before the end of the month, and in the PTE before the 18th:

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/upco ... ore.66289/

jables wrote:Upcoming Update: New player experience and a bit more...

Hey all,

We’ve wrapped up the Fall sale over on Steam, and heading toward one of the biggest sales of the year on the Winter Steam Sale. During these two sales, we are getting quite a few new players in the game. With this in mind, we will be spending December concentrating on the new player experience!

This will be a first pass at updating tutorials and general menu flow to make it more intuitive for new players to get into the game as well as make it easier to get info from Uber to players.

What does this mean for you as a current player you ask? Well we’ll do a pass on overall bug fixes and polish throughout, as well as more balance tweaks! We have been listening and taken a look at overall map size for ranked maps. We like the response the current 3 have received, but are looking at some larger maps for the next round and will be adding 2 more Ranked 1v1 maps to the pool. We’ll look at adjustments based on feedback on the 3 current maps, as well as other smaller changes to help help push the metagame to a better level. Based on player requests, we’ll be re-adding the ability to select secondary color and custom landing spots. Oh and then there’s this little thing we’ve been working on...

UnitCannon.jpg

:O

We will get more information when we have a better idea on release date for the Unit Cannon, but it should be hitting PTE soon for balance testing.

We’re planning on getting the main update out by December 18th, though Unit Cannon may take a bit longer depending on balance tweaks needed (please keep in mind that we are Pacific Time Zone, so those in the rest of the world, may be getting this late in the night or on the 19th your time).

As usual, I will post more details to keep you updated as we move toward the 18th!

A ton of new players bought the game recently, due to the sale price of first 10 dollars, and then 6, so the Steam Community stats typically show upwards of 1,200 people in-game simultaneously now, compared to the 400 or below that was the norm before. It's not going to last, of course, but maybe it will stabilize at a significantly higher level than before.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Dec 2014 18:28

Details on the Unit Cannon are emerging, and the devs are saying it may be in the PTE "later this week". They said this yesterday, and it is now Thursday, so if they take the weekend off it means either today or tomorrow.

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/unit ... ion.66303/

jables wrote:Hey all,

I'd like to take this time to introduce @tvinita who has been making these new ranked maps as well as the balance changes you have been seeing. Tom took some time yesterday to type up the design vision for the Unit Cannon, as we had to make changes from the original vision (as the teleporter more or less filled that role). Feel free to ask questions here, and we hope to have this up and playable on PTE (along with some naval changes) in a very early state later this week/early next week.

Quote: @tvinita
"So what is the unit cannon? What does it actually do? A lot of people have some differing ideas on its role and how it's supposed to work. Well, here's what we've got right now:

The unit cannon is essentially a specialized tech 2 factory that can deploy its units anywhere in the solar system instead of just outside its doorway.

Build a salvo of up to 12 units that can be composed of a variety of t1 and some t2 land units, and then use the attack command fire them all off to a location somewhere in the solar system, making for interplanetary warfare that is much more dynamic.

Here's a few examples of what a single unit cannon is good for, and what it's not so good for.

A single Unit Cannon is good for...
Rapidly deploying small raiding parties anywhere in the solar system, especially undefended areas.
Conveniently sending a small force to establish a healthy expansion or forward base on your planet or another one.
Establishing a beachhead on a planet with a heavily dug-in enemy presence.
Making surgical strikes against key targets that aren't well defended in the immediate vicinity.

A single Unit Cannon is not so good for...
Launching an entire invasion army to brute force invade a planet.
Regularly reinforcing a far-away base with new units.
Sniping a well-defended and well-positioned commander.
Besieging and assaulting a well-fortified base.

You'll notice up there that I said this all applies to a single unit cannon.
This is because the unit cannon is balanced so that multiple unit cannons can be built in a large and late enough game, all flinging tanks and robots and death machines back and forth majestically through the cold void of space to rain death from the stars and skies.
As you may have guessed by now, the more unit cannons you build, the more units you can launch at one time, and the more effective your coordinated unit cannons become at performing tasks that a single unit cannon wouldn't be so good at."

It sounds like such a game changer. There are loads of really good opinions and criticisms from players in the thread, and a couple of responses from the devs, but I am too busy figuring out how to get my hands on a laptop tonight to copy-paste them right now. I really want to get back in the game. I was by no means tired of it before, and now it's about to become even deeper.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Dec 2014 08:22

Unit Cannon is now in PTE. Lots of other changes too. Naval changes, secondary colors, option for economy to auto-shut off buildings if running them will crash it, and more. All details are here:

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/pte- ... ive.66332/

And some pics of the UC:

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/pte- ... st-1041196

Xankar wrote:So I created 16 unit cannons side by side :p it was extremely effective:

QvcOA0Y.png

Here they are launching:

ick6nZc.png

And here they are landing:

uDV8Fm3.png

Note that he's playing with low detail settings and the art assets for the UC are crude and temporary. Here are some of the best pics from the latest pages of the screenshot thread to wash away the taste of the low detail settings:

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/scre ... ars.61975/

trMuBKD.jpg

vRY28tZ.jpg

PMsaqtP.jpg

2014-09-06_00001.jpg

0gLujAr.jpg

UxOYDbb.jpg

233250_screenshots_2014-09-19_00003.jpg

233250_screenshots_2014-09-18_00005.jpg
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Dec 2014 07:03

Better screens of the Unit Cannon in action:

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/pret ... st-1043217

F1TnTRL.png

Z2az6DS.png

kBscHuE.png
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Dec 2014 20:19

Uber's putting in a beginner's guide soon:

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/new- ... ted.66450/

jables wrote:New User guide: Feedback wanted

Hey all,

So we are working on a new user guide for the game, and have pulled the following information currently. Thought I would ask here, for a new player, what would you add?

Note: we'll be doing more advanced stuff later, so please stick to the very basics here.

Basic Controls

Hold Middle Mouse, drag to pan view
scroll mouse wheel to zoom in and out
Arrow keys to rotate around planet
Go between planets using planet menu (upper right)

Clicking

Left click to select unit, right click for action or move
Shift + Right Click to queue up move commands and add waypoints
Left Click + Hold and drag to window select multiple units
Double Click a unit to select similar units

Commander Basics

select a landing zone near metal spots
Stay alive or the match is over
Commander starts with energy and metal resources

Factories

Factories are built by Commanders or Fabbers
Select a Factory to get access to Build Bar
Left Click units on Build Bar to build
Shift Click units on Build Bar to build multiple
Control click any unit to put that unit in the top of the build queue
Right Click or Shift Right Click on units to reduce number of units in queue

Fabrication Units

Fabbers are built by Vehicle, Air, Naval, Bot, and Orbital Factories
Select a Fabber to get access to Build Bar
Left Click units on Build Bar and select a space in the world to build
Hold Shift + Left Click to queue up multiple build orders

Economy and Resources

Energy and Metal resources gets consumed while building
To generate Metal, build Metal Extractors
To generate Energy, build Energy Plants
Resources build up over time
If you’re consuming more than you are producing, build efficiency slows down
As Efficiency percentage lowers, all fabbers, factories and Commanders build slower
Build Metal Storage and Energy Storage to stockpile more resources

Area Commands

Select units, click Attack button, left click drag an area to attack
Select units, click Patrol button, left click drag an area to patrol

Energy Resource

Build Energy Plants to generate energy
Select Fabber, select Build Energy Plant Icon, Left Click drag in the world to build multiple Energy Plants
Advanced Energy Plants generate 8x more energy

Metal Resource

Build Metal Extractors on Metal Spots
Advanced Metal Extractors can be built on top of standard Extractors
Select Fabber, select Build Metal Extractor Icon, Left Click drag in the world to build over multiple Metal Spots
Build Metal Storage to expand resource capacity

Ekanaut wrote:For context, the User Guide is laid out like this image:

PlayerGuide.jpg
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 12 Dec 2014 16:19

title.png

http://exodusesports.com/article/league-commanders/

Captain Conundrum and the Exodus Esports team have released a mod called "League of Commanders". It gives every commander a unique set of abilities designed to support a specialized role.

marshall.png

zaphodx.png

quitch.png

tripax.png

total annihilation.png

martenus.png

conundrum.png

bsport.png

proeleert.png

sambasti.png

otterfamily.png

No changes to balance. More info and installation instructions at the website.
jeffrobot494

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Dec 2014 19:12

And like the typical amateurish modder nerds that they are, they gave the commanders their stupid online handles, to make sure immersion is destroyed completely when using them. Not to mention the ugly color schemes on many of them. We now need a mod to mod the mod to replace those stupid names with something sensible.

But anyway, I've been meaning to talk about mods. There's tons of great ones, and I plan to post about all of them and try them all out.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Dec 2014 18:43

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rele ... ate.66594/

jables wrote:Unit Cannon update is locked, loaded & live!

cannon_header.png
cannon_header.png (140.4 KiB) Viewed 202894 times

Our new update is live! Starting today you can push entirely new invasion strategies against your foes with the Unit Cannon! This powerful unit will allow you to launch up to 12 units at a time anywhere across the galaxy, pushing the ability to break defensive setups or set up forward offensive bases!

We have also put in a lot of changes for our newer players, including a player guide to teach the basics of gameplay. This is accessible through the “Player Guide” on the Main Menu, or in game by hitting F1 or escape and selecting it. You will also see updated information and top ranked replays on the brand new main menu to help get you up to speed and competing for the top spots on the leaderboard!

For you system designers out there, we have added CSG palette to make placing CSG from any biome much easier than before. This gives you the tools to more easily make the amazing planets we have seen our players create.

Other changes you will see are the addition of customizable secondary colors to allow people to make their army feel more like their own, a lot of balance changes (see the list below), major adjustments to our ranked planet Berg, as well as the addition of 3 new ranked planets to the rotation, and bug fixes across the board!

cannon_body.png

We hope you enjoy the new changes as much as we do, and if you would like more detailed change report, take a look at the extensive list below.

[Balance]
[Unit Cannon and Umbrella Balance]

Unit Cannon
Metal Cost: 14,400
Health: 3,000
Buildable Units: Ant, Spinner, Dox, Grenadier, Combat Fabber, Slammer, Adv. Combat Fabber, t1 and t2 bot and vehicle fabbers
Metal Build Rate: 120
Energy Draw Rate: 4,050
Maximum Pod Capacity: 12
Rate of Fire: 3.0
Drop Pod Initial and Max Velocity: 150.0
Drop Pod System Velocity Multiplier: 20.0
Gravwell Velocity Multiplier: 10.0
Factory Cooldown: 3.0

Ion Cannon (Umbrella)
Added anti-entity weapon to intercept Unit Cannon drop pods
Anti-Pod Rate of Fire: 2.0
Anti-Pod Range: 180

[Naval Balance]

Naval Factory
Build Cooldown decreased to 3.5 from 8
Size decreased by 25%

Advanced Naval Factory
Build Cooldown decreased to 6 from 20
Size decreased by 25%

Destroyer (Orca)
Move Speed increased to 9 from 6
Acceleration decreased to 30 from 60
Brake increased to 90 from 60
Health increased to 1500 from 1000
Shell damage increased to 50 from 40
Torpedo velocity decreased to 50 from 60
Torpedo Splash Radius set to 10
Torpedo Full Damage Splash Radius set to 1
Size decreased by 25%

Gunboat (Piranha) -- Previously Sea Scout
Role name changed to Gunboat from Scout
Name changed to Piranha from Sunfish
Metal cost decreased to 150 from 300
Health increased to 175 from 100
Acceleration decreased to 50 from 200
Brake decreased to 150 from 200
Move Speed decreased to 15 from 20
Sight Radius increased to 150 from 100
Damage increased to 20 from 15
Ammo Initial and Max Velocity increased to 130 from 80
Range increased to 130 from 90

Frigate (Narwhal)
Move Speed increased to 9 from 7
Acceleration decreased to 30 from 70
Brake increased to 90 from 70
Shell Rate of Fire decreased to 1.25 from 2
Shell effects changed to match the destroyer shells.
Missile Rate of Fire increased to 3.0 from 1.5
Missile Range increased to 150 from 100
Missile Ammo turn rate increased to 720 from 360
Missile Ammo lifetime increased to 3.0 from 1.0
Enabled spread_fire on missiles
Size decreased by 25%

Battleship (Leviathan)
Move Speed increased to 8 from 6
Brake increased to 80 from 60
Health increased to 6000 from 4000
Rate of Fire increased to 0.2 from 0.1
Size decreased by 25%

Missile Ship (Stingray)
Move Speed increased to 8 from 6
Brake increased to 80 from 60
Size decreased by 25%

[Defense Cost Balance]

Single Barrel Laser Tower:
Health decreased to 500 from 750
Metal Cost decreased to 225 from 300

Laser Tower
Metal Cost decreased to 350 from 450

Flak Cannon
Metal Cost decreased to 900 from 1600
Health increased to 2000 from 1000

Torpedo Launcher
Metal Cost decreased to 400 from 600
Splash Radius set to 10
Full Damage Splash Radius set to 1

Advanced Torpedo Launcher
Metal Cost decreased to 1000 from 1800
Splash Radius set to 10
Full Damage Splash Radius set to 1

[Artillery Cost Balance]

Pelter:
Health increased to 500 from 450
Metal Cost decreased to 900 from 1500

Holkins:
Ammo Capacity and Ammo Per Shot reduced to 37,500 from 400,000
Ammo Demand reduced to 2,500 from 20,000

[Air and Anti-Air Balance]

Spinner
Ammo turn rate increased to 720 from 360
Ammo lifetime increased to 3.0 from 1.0

Bomber:
Turn rate increased to 110 from 75
All ground based AA will now prioritize bombers and gunships

[Miscellaneous Balance]

Dox
Acceleration decreased to 50 from 200
Deceleration decreased to 50 from 200

[UI] Newly redesigned Main Menu
[UI] New backgrounds on some loading screens
[UI] Nukes now have orbital trajectory lines
[UI] New Player guide added

Accessed from main menu or using F1 key or escape in game.

[UI] Secondary colors are now selectable

[System Editor] Using the advanced controls now requires explicit activation with a dialog prompt.
[System Editor] You can no longer alter the blueprint for a custom planet. The controls are hidden if changing the blueprint could cause malformed planets.

The planet terrain must be as you want it before going into advanced edit for metal/start/csg edits as there will be no going back once you enter advanced edits.

[System Editor] You can no longer operate in multiple edit modes. Activating one mode will disable the other modes, and may wait for the mode to finish cleaning up. This should prevent certain cases of data loss.
[System Editor] The system editor will no longer forget to save custom csg/metal spots if you load a system and then save it without ever previewing the planet.
[System Editor] The system editor will indicate how much custom data is currently stored for a planet.
[System Editor] CSG palette now in place
[System Editor] CSG brushes now show up on cursor when selected
[System Editor] Custom start spots now available in System Editor

[General] Naval sound pass
[General] Added Cosmic Edition names to credits
[General] Gunboat (previously Scout Boat) has a new model

[Bug Fixes] Fixed “My Replays” view to now show your replays
[Bug Fixes] Holding down backspace will no longer exit to main menu
[Bug Fixes] AI and Subcommanders should now be working again
[Bug Fixes] Fix system editor issue: Load planet bug
[Bug Fixes] Crash fixes for server
[Bug Fixes] Fix for AI getting stuck due to a desire to go a particular factory first, but being unable to do so due to unit restrictions being placed on it.

Example being a sub commander in Galactic War that has a high desire for vehicles, but being unable to build a basic vehicle factory.

[Bug Fixes] Torpedos should now only fire while the commander is on the seafloor layer.
[Bug Fixes] Fixed crash for out of game match notifications on Linux
[Bug Fixes] Fixed disconnected icon in game
[Bug Fixes] Fix for Bombers being able to sit above targets and bomb
[Bug Fixes] Fixed Bombers clearing their focus target when attack order is cancelled
[Bug Fixes] Fix for units not being at max health when a fabber with high build rate assist

The final Unit Cannon model looks very different from the earlier versions. Not sure if better or worse; I'd have to see it in-game to tell.

I'll try to be back home around 11PM UTC to play some games. Look me up if anyone wants to play.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Dec 2014 01:14

Played my first ranked match and won after half an hour. Dude should have wiped me out within 10 minutes, but he was a bit of a noob, so I was able to come back after an untold number of mistakes and wipe him. The Frankestein mirrored map we played on was not as bad as I had imagined. Still annoying, but playable (and fair! like the aspies want them).

So much new shit going on in the game. Had a lot more fun doing the 1v1 than I thought I would, so I will keep going since there's no one to play with :( It's definitely great practice, and I am really enjoying getting back into it after several weeks' absence.

The only negative was the game freezing every 10 minutes... Thankfully, reconnecting works like a charm now. But I never had such bad freezes before :(

Don't think I'll see the Unit Cannon unless we play at least a 3v3...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 20 Dec 2014 05:08

Unit Cannon trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f_5bzuHX9k

It's tits, watch it. The Uber guys sure know how to make their trailers. Every one is better than the last and they are all awesome.

Been playing with jeff and Qpo the last couple of nights. Really really fun games, and the Unit Cannon definitely adds a lot to the complexity, even if we've been only on the receiving end of it so far. Two Realm guys used four of those on us just now, but Qpo dealt with them and then we rolled them back and crushed them. So I think lots of people are using it just to use it now, instead of only when it makes tactical sense. Can't blame them, though. It looks very cool even on mid detail settings.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Dec 2014 05:05

icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Dec 2014 18:02

Part I: http://culture.vg/reviews/videogame-art ... ation.html

I also added screenshots, check it out. Still need to make them clickable for full res, and also to position them appropriately to match the text, but since I've still got a lot of text left to write, I'll keep them in that provisional order for now.

Notice that I've written so many pages and still haven't said a word about aesthetics. It's gonna be a monster, and the most complex game review yet written (to match the most complex game yet made). Should consider changing the site's URL to culture.pa.

Insomnia | Planetary Annihilation Culture
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Dec 2014 07:21

From several previously linked sources:

9XIVLsK.jpg

2014-10-20_00008.jpg

233250_screenshots_2014-05-28_00024.jpg

233250_screenshots_2014-05-29_00011.jpg

233250_screenshots_2014-05-29_00013.jpg

233250_screenshots_2014-05-30_00022.jpg

233250_screenshots_2014-06-09_00024.jpg

233250_screenshots_2014-06-17_00005.jpg

233250_screenshots_2014-07-01_00003.jpg

233250_screenshots_2014-07-26_00001.jpg

233250_screenshots_2014-08-07_00006.jpg

233250_screenshots_2014-08-11_00008.jpg

233250_screenshots_2014-08-31_00001.jpg

233250_screenshots_2014-09-15_00001.jpg

233250_screenshots_2014-10-06_00003.jpg

233250_screenshots_2014-10-07_00025.jpg

JDUFJRK.jpg

233250_screenshots_2014-10-07_00026.jpg

233250_screenshots_2014-10-15_00001.jpg

BFABFC844299DF50417CBC9BD2B931DD1C262AF2.jpg

Death%20Moon%20about%20to%20smash.png

HMXRHuP.jpg

il0SRNm.png

233250_screenshots_2014-11-01_00001.jpg

ToNzpIY.png

233250_screenshots_2014-08-07_00001.jpg
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Dec 2014 07:07

This is a good thread to read for those who say that the game is shallow:

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/orbi ... oit.66827/

And they are only talking about 1v1s. The complexity they are talking about is nothing compared to what goes on in bigger games.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Jan 2015 15:40

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/thes ... ame.66932/

stuart98 wrote:These Galactic War Mods NEED to be incorporated into the base game.

The Galactic War as it is right now is an aimless journey with no strategy. Choosing which system to go to is guesswork and the blindness of it prevents the galactic war metagame from containing any meaningful choices. As it is right now the Galactic War might as well not exist. There are however a variety of mods out right now that greatly improve the Galactic War.

1. Galactic War Extended System Moves by @gonzo4711. This mod allows you to move from any system that you control to any system that you can reach at the moment in two clicks (One to select the planet, one to move there) rather than over a dozen that it might take in vanilla.
2. Section of Research and Exploration by @wondible. This mod adds strategy to the Galactic War by allowing you to see what you'll be able to obtain from each system. No longer are you blindly fumbling around and hoping to get a good tech, now you can make educated decisions as to which system would have the greatest strategic value.
3. Section of Foreign Intelligence by @wondible. This mod further increases the strategy of the Galactic War by showing the strength of the enemy in each system. This provides an overall better experience by being able to tell if a game is going to be a 5 minute curbstomp against an easy commander or an hour long battle with multiple tough opponents.
4. GW Unit Cannon by @wondible. This mod adds the Unit Cannon to the Galactic War. 'Nuff said.

Note that there's no "Galactic War metagame" that he speaks of. He's merely abusing the term. Galactic War is part of the actual game; it's one of its several modes.

And two screens showcasing the new radar effect:

233250_screenshots_2014-12-31_00003.jpg

2014-12-24_00008.jpg
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Jan 2015 22:44

233250_screenshots_2015-01-02_00001.jpg

No. 3 in the world. With my smurf account, no less.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Jan 2015 02:14

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/quick-update.67058/

jables wrote:Hey all,

We're back in office as of yesterday. Currently getting a good list of what we'll be getting in place for next update. I'll get an update on upcoming things in the next few days. Just wanted to poke in and say hi :)

I wrote:Space battles confirmed.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Jan 2015 20:56

Uber finally got back to me on this:

I wrote:Subject: How to avoid playing 1v1 Ranked games with assholes

Hello,

I have identified a player on the 1v1 leaderboard, username (P)DrBoggles (or something close to it, I don't remember his exact username -- though the clan tag is 100% correct), who is a huge ass to people he plays with, spamming them with rude remarks etc., and I don't want to play with him again. In the second game we played I surrendered the match immediately for this reason (and received even more abuse for my trouble). Is there any way I can avoid playing with him in the future? If I surrender the match I lose points, but do I also lose points if I leave the lobby before the match begins? Is there any other way of avoiding him?

Best regards, and thanks for a great game,

AK

Michelle Krater wrote:Hi Alex,

Thank you for your email. I apologize for the delayed response. There is a "block" feature available that you may be able to use. To block a player, navigate to the Social icon in the lower right-hand corner and right-click on their name under the Recent tab. Once blocked, this user's chat is muted for you and they will be unable to join any games that you are hosting.

If you are able to capture a screenshot of the abusive text, please submit it to Support for review.

If there are any questions, please feel free to contact us anytime.

Thanks!

Interesting that they have a woman on customer support: https://twitter.com/michellekrater

Uber is by no means as poor as people make them out to be. Jon Mavor owns a Ferrari, the company moved to a new building in September, and they have at least one person on dedicated customer support (whereas in a really small developer it would be a PR guy or one of the devs doing it).

At any rate, she didn't really answer my question, but she did answer an even more important one. So I no longer have to keep a list of names of the people I don't want to play with next to my computer: I'll just be blocking them one by one as I come across them.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Jan 2015 04:47

Someone made a thread on my review in the PA forums, and one of the devs has already posted in it:

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/vide ... ion.67289/

I hope people will keep bumping it with their favorite quotes, etc. so that it will remain at the top for a long time and be seen by as many people as possible, especially when the next parts go online and the whole thing is complete.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Jan 2015 18:11

If this quote intrigues you:

I wrote:Or we could do both. 4v4 Clan Wars during the season, and Galactic Clan Wars in the off season.

start reading from here and keep reading: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/clan ... st-1056729

The future is bright for real-time strategy. So excited.
icycalm
Hyperborean

PreviousNext

Return to Cosmic War