default header

Cosmic War

Systems

Moderator: JC Denton

Systems

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Jul 2017 18:05

Some of these planets look pretty good: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/new- ... -02.72314/

I am particularly interested in large planets with large elevation differences and many biomes. Nobody is making large planets that can accommodate 10+ players.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Jul 2017 15:38

We are going to need a lot of cool systems, so use this thread to post your designs or to suggest designs or to discuss the intricacies of designing systems. I will be getting into this soon. I'd like to start with a two-planet system with two huge planets and no superweapons, or maybe with some asteroids, if the just act like big nukes and don't destroy planets. I still haven't seen asteroids in a game, let alone used them.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Jul 2017 15:48

The thing I am worried about is the Titan that splits a planet in half. I still haven't seen this in action. If this is available in every game, and if it's easy to make, it can end games quickly if the players are not on the lookout for it.

The number of superweapons in this game is insane, making nukes seem like conventional weapons in comparison. Let's try to count them, in the order they were introduced:

1. Delta boosters -- or whatever they are called
2. Annihilazer
3. Asteroids
4. Ragnarok Titan

And in a sense even the gas giants, since they give such a boost to the economy of whoever dominates them, that the game usually ends 30 minutes later.

So when designing systems the trick will be to incorporate some of this stuff, but without swamping the players with them and making it impossible for them to monitor what the opponents are doing, and counter them in good time. If there is only one metal planet, the fight for it can get so intense that no one ever manages to complete the annihilazer, but if all the superweapons are present in the system, no one can monitor and counter all of them, and one of them will end up being used sooner rather than later, and probably more than one. So the trick in designing systems is to avoid this. You want to include as many as people, for the variety they offer, but at the same time make sure there are enough players and teams in the game to fiercely contest every time a team tries to use one.

But we should still have tons of systems where no superweapons are included, because those are really going to be the ones that are fought over for hours.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Robomoo » 20 Aug 2017 23:57

SonicBlue22's Map Pack
https://forums.uberent.com/threads/soni ... ack.72538/

Lots of symmetry, but maybe there will be something decent in there too.
Robomoo

Return to Cosmic War