default header

Cosmic War

Clan League discussion

Moderator: JC Denton

Clan League discussion

Unread postby Robomoo » 10 Aug 2017 22:34

Last edited by Robomoo on 11 Aug 2017 00:38, edited 1 time in total.
Robomoo

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Aug 2017 23:00

There's really only one thing holding the Clan League back: some mechanism with which to compel clan leaders to use their entire roster.

So let's take it from the beginning. In the beginning, there was Exodus' Clan Wars, which was a 4v4 event. One of the problems with that event, that I and several others brought up at the time, was that there was nothing compelling clan leaders to use anyone except their top 4 players. So what I would like to do with my Clan League (which is essentially my version of Exodus' Clan Wars) is find a way to do that.

And I believe I have found a way. Or at least the general idea of way -- I still lack some of the details. The general idea, however, is that only clans and players who have participated in Clan Wars are eligible to participate in the Clan League. Moreover, when a leader uses a player in the League, he cannot use him again until ALL the players he has used in the Wars have been used.

So, with the Wars, the leader is compelled to use as many players as he can, because more players give him an advantage. But, at the same time, the more players he uses in the Wars, the fewer times he can use his best players in the League, forcing him to use everyone.

There are some details that need to be resolved. For example, what happens if a player is used in the Wars who does not want to participate in the League? Or who CAN'T participate, because he is busy? Or who simply quit playing PA in the meantime. Or who quit the clan. Etc.

But these are just details that I am sure I can work out eventually. The main thing is that I believe I have the general idea of how to force leaders to use their entire roster -- or at least as much as possible of it.

I will have more to say on the League soon, but for now this should provide enough food for thought for everyone. Let me know of your ideas on the subject.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 11 Aug 2017 04:32

What about the format? 4v4, or higher?
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Aug 2017 04:49

As high as possible. Unfortunately, some clans have only three members at the moment, so we'll have to adopt a variable format, but there will be a minimum. I would like it to be five, but it might have to be four, or even as low as three, if we want to get all the clans in.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 15 Aug 2017 16:05

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/inso ... st-1142420

I wrote:The Insomnia Clan League begins this Saturday, before the Clan War (probably at 7PM UTC, but I will need to confirm that later in the week). BSE will be one of the teams, and I am looking for the other. Most likely pXs, otherwise probably CULT. There will be two battles, one on each clan's home system, exactly as in Exodus' Clan Wars, and the systems will be ready 48 hours from now. The systems will be approved by me and Elite, and an RNG will be rolled to determine lobby positions. Marshall is welcome to cast, otherwise I will do it (or we could do it together if he's into that). Teams will use the same colors as in Clan Wars, and the Ragnarok rule we just introduced will apply here too. It will be a 3v3 league for Season 1, to allow smaller clans like VOC to participate, and perhaps higher from later seasons, once all the clans have had time to recruit more people. The long-term goal is 10v10 or higher -- however high we can get it.

I've been planning on starting this since the beginning (see my first post in this thread), but I am doing it a little earlier than I had planned to get some of the pressure off the Clan Wars, which for me will always remain the main event (the Clan League matches will be just warm-ups for it; like a lesser known band opening for the main act in a rock concert). So now people will be able to cast and watch their familiar, safe matches, and perhaps allow us to experiment with the Clan Wars in peace.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 15 Aug 2017 19:59

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/inso ... st-1142425

I wrote:It's set: BSE will face pXs in two matches this Saturday at 7PM UTC. The matches will be 3v3, unless both teams agree to field higher numbers (which will be decided on the day if more players from both teams are available). We will be sharing the systems soon.

The event calendar has been updated with the relevant information: http://cosmicwar.net/
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Aug 2017 18:53

I have added a Clan League leaderboard to the site, featuring BRN, BSE, CULT and pXs, because these are the only clans that have confirmed participation so far. VOC has expressed interest, but hasn't given me a firm yes yet.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Cosmic War