ASMR Broom
Sxx and Arkyds. Vs orbital just make avengers

Maxmix
Shields wlhen
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: New units

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Feb 2022 22:04

Everything below is from the official PA Discord, specifically the #legion-and-friends channel.

Are these units new, or just regular Legion?

Nicb1 wrote:Legion 2: New Dawn
Hi all so as you’ve already seen we have more Legion content in development. The general goal of Legion 2 is to take the original mod and update the art and gameplay to a more modern standard. So expect to see the following:
- New textures for all units
- New animations
- Model updates
- New models (Replacing some old ones with updated designs)
- New units (Since MLA has received some new additions over the years)
- Balance updates
- Complete overhaul of some old units
I’ll post some more screenshots over the coming weeks as we make more progress.

Video of one of the new units (don't miss it): https://i.imgur.com/kJI0nFD.mp4

An example of new textures versus old:

Nicb1 wrote:New Deathmark vs Old

Huge improvement. The devs told them that one of the reasons they aren't integrating Legion into the base game is that the artwork isn't quite to the level of the rest of the game. That's one of the reasons they are updating them. The other reason is legal, so even with the update Legion still probably won't make it in the base game.

Also looks like Taiga's making a naval titan:

Dreadnought wrote:Naval titan could benefit having legs to go on land.

PorcelainUnicorns wrote:thats a terrifying image
Commander on land taunting a naval titan, then it just, unfolds legs and stands up

Very cool suggestion.

The Sigma and the Ligma:

I think the Sigma is for the base MLA faction, and the Ligma for Legion. No idea what they do. You can see the Helios in the third pic for scale.

There are more new units people are making, but some of them look crap, so I didn't bother posting them here. Someone is making a third faction, for bugs, and that doesn't look too bad. If it ends up looking good, we could give it to AIs, and add a bunch of AIs to our wars to pepper the planets with as if they are Civ barbarians. It should make the systems more populated and the wars bigger, longer and more chaotic. It should also incentivize a bit more base-building and turtling, if you are surrounded on all sides at all times and need to fight for every expansion.

I will definitely be making the 4-tier mod with all these awesome new units. Just need to set aside a day for Robo to teach me how to add and edit units.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Mar 2022 20:47

Chickenbeaver71 wrote:bill, imagine playing with Bug (when its finished), Assimilators (when fully finished) and legion all at once

[ICARUS] Taiga wrote:Image
Decided to make some new frameworks for developing out Section 17
This was actually the original factory that Section 17 was supposed to have instead of the temporary gantry it's using right now
The good thing is I found it and I'm going to prep it
Should allow me to make nice and large units
Call it T3 if you will
Landships and Walking Cruisers if you will

LANDships... That should totally alter our 1800-radius water planet games.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 09 May 2022 19:55

[ICARUS] Tibbb wrote:PRODUCTION FACILITIES ONLINE

[ICARUS] Tibbb wrote:Big things in the works

Looks like work is continuing on the titan factory.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 10 May 2022 13:53

Besides MLA and Legion, there is a third faction in the works called Union. It seems to be an entire faction inspired by the boom bots: https://forums.planetaryannihilation.co ... sion.73447

They don't have a complete roster yet, so they're "plugging the holes" with standard MLA units. But they DO have two commanders, as you can see. Nothing looks bad either, it all looks fairly acceptable.

So my thinking is to try and see if we can give these commanders and these units to AIs, to act like natives/barbarians. We could add as many of those as we want to our wars, and they will likely increase the war time by as much as we want, depending on the setup. Forget about trying to land somewhere "on your own": you can always be surrounded by enemies and have to fight for every scrap of land or water. Hell, if we give them enough eco boost we'll be fighting for our lives and might even have to ally against the AI.

Note that the Union project hasn't been updated in two years, so the question is if we can use these units even though they have no buildings. So we would either have to give them standard buildings, or make them work without buildings somehow. And this is where the Scenarios mod comes in: https://forums.planetaryannihilation.co ... rios.73550

ferretmaster wrote:Bug Horde Mode

One of the most popular modes developed using scenarios is the bug horde mode.

In this mode each player spawns in with some starting units and a control tower (zapper)

around every minute there will be both distributed and clustered spawns of enemy bugs that will attack the nearest player. These spawns will not occur within the vision of a control tower (zapper) and you can build more to expand your control.

Enemy spawns will become larger based on time and the number of towers the player has. The waves will also scale exponentially to somewhat match how fast a pa player develops.

This mode scales linearly with each additional player.

While there is no direct win condition as of yet, the enemy ai will be killed if the sim speed gets below 15% as a kill switch. Covering the planet in control towers or ragging it effectively ends the game as well.

Unlike the Union faction, this mod is posted in the Released Mods board, so it's working. All we'd have to do is delete the kill switch and make the bugs use the Union units and just reprogram the spawning to be like a They Are Billions version of PA. Everything else in our wars will remain as normal, but with the additional timed horde waves making our lives more complex. This can be IN ADDITION to AIs with full functioning unit rosters; perhaps the AI can take Legion and the players MLA.

I am not sure if on top of the above units someone has also made actual bug units. I am still looking for those.

There are more cool weird mods like this, and I think if we combined all of them and subtly redesigned them, we could end up with something that qualifies as PA 1.5, that I would call "Alex Kierkegaard's Cosmic War". I should also be able to redesign the main menu to reflect this. One of the issues with this so far is that every new unit added to the game slows the sim down, but we have the server power now to not care too much about this, and soon we'll have even more power. It is time for PA 1.5 to become a reality.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 10 May 2022 14:22

The bugs are included in the Scenarios mod! They even have a bug titan!

https://forums.planetaryannihilation.co ... st-1152227

ferretmaster wrote:- Added Nug titan, an atlas like titan for bugs

We gotta try all this shit out! The possibilities with MLA/Legion/Union/Bugs PLUS the extra units from other mods, are limitless. Just need to find the time between running Fantasy Grounds and setting up TaleSpire, and it's unlikely I'll be able to maximize PA's potential without help from Robo, who's been slacking on the PA front.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 10 May 2022 14:39

Couldn't find pics of the bugs, but there's video!

1v1 New Faction Bugs! [ALPHA STATE] (Community mod, and more at the end)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI9Ktf4EkCc

They don't look bad at all! They move around very differently than standard units, and they shoot fire. And they come with their own factory and even a research building for upgrading apparently. I like the strategic icons too.

Moreover, at the end of the video, there's a preview of yet ANOTHER faction called the Assimilators! Most of these units look bad or mediocre, but some look good. It could be because they are very early yet. But you can always just take the good models and use them for something else.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Jul 2022 20:53

Looks like they turned the bugs into an entire faction. Post from just five hours ago.

Bug Faction Released!
https://www.reddit.com/r/planetaryannih ... n_released

Ferretmaster3 wrote:Bug armies are highly adaptable, using of swarms of evolving units to poke and prod the sturdier defences of other factions until they finally develop a powerful late game force.

Ferretmaster3 wrote:The bug faction is a work in progress faction mod being developed by a small team of modders, including some of the creators of Second Wave and Section 17.

Ferretmaster3 wrote:As it is WIP only the land and air roster is nearly fully complete but it is fully playable with stand-ins for missing units and ongoing balancing/development.

We might be able to use the bugs as Civ barbarians, so that both Legion and MLA will be available for players. That will make the Tyr and other cool Legion units available to players again, and present them with a fun tradeoff over the standard faction. Robo just has to make everything work with our version of the game.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Cosmic War