d4-logo.png

D4_2013_06-10-13_001.jpg

D4_2013_06-10-13_002.jpg

D4_2013_06-10-13_003.jpg

D4_2013_06-10-13_004.jpg

D4_2013_06-10-13_005.jpg

D4_2013_06-10-13_006.jpg

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/10/d4-from ... -xbox-one/

Episodic murder mystery game called D4 was shown off for Xbox One. It’s in the works from the creator of Deadly Premonition at ACCESS Games.

The episodic noir adventure follows the story of a detective with the curious ability to dive back in time. He must use this power to solve his wife’s murder and then try to prevent it from occurring.

http://www.accessgames-blog.com/swery65 ... -a4d7.html

Hello everybody,
this is SWERY, a director at Access Games.

Right now, I'm preparing to go to Los Angeles, USA.

Some of you might know already but Access Games newest title has been announced.

This time it's an entirely new franchise.

It has been a while since I've worked on an original title.

It's been 3 whole years since Red Seeds Profile/Deadly Premonition went on sale in 2010.

Now that I think of it, that's a very deeply moving fact.
At the very least,

The new title is for the "Xbox One". :D

The release date and price are still being worked out.

This new title is a mystery, with a story written by me.

I cannot give any more details right now, but I believe things will slowly come to light.

My chest swells with pride knowing that you all are enjoying the Deadly Premonition the Director's Cut that went on sale recently.

Access Games is currently very hard at work in order to deliver a fantastic game to you.

Please cheer us on!

That's all, I love you all!

E3 2013 Announcement Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRdg_1HYpDU
ksevcov

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Jun 2013 19:41

First One-exclusive I am genuinely excited for (DR3 will no doubt be fun, but probably not a must-play). MS bagged themselves a cool exclusive with this one, and Swery deserved the same level of attention Sony's giving to David Cage, so I am happy for him.

At first I thought this was a sequel to D2 and I had missed the D4 announcement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_%28series%29

I wonder if the title is a homage to the D series anyway, and they just skipped a number to avoid copyright issues.

One glaring negative point about the game though is that it looks like a 360 title, which doesn't help to get you excited about the new console.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ksevcov » 03 Jul 2013 05:28

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/01/ ... -exclusive

One of the most enigmatic Xbox One exclusives announced to date would have to be D4, or Dark Dreams Don’t Die, to give the game its full title. In development by cult Japanese game designer Hidetaka “Swery” Suehiro and his team at Access Games, D4 is a murder mystery with an intriguing hook: its detective lead David has lost his memory, but is able to dive into the past to solve crimes. Specifically, his wife’s murder.

Of course, given this is a game from Swery, the real hook is likely to be just how strange and offbeat everything is, and D4’s initial reveal certainly doesn't disappoint on that basis. David refers to his wife as ‘little Peggy,’ and interactions between characters are deliberately weird, with bizarre facial expressions and glances held for uncomfortably long moments.

“Deadly Premonition… was a little bit weird,” Swery tells us, “and this one’s also a little bit weird.”

The best way to think about D4 – from the little we’ve seen – is that it’s going to play something like a modern point and click adventure. Think Telltale’s The Walking Dead series and you’d be on the right track. Within the demo’s passenger jet setting, for instance, players are able to investigate the world in a number of ways, bringing up information about people and objects, and choosing their responses when in conversation. Action sequences are choreographed, but will play out with a few different variations based on how well players follow the on-screen cues.

In general it seems like a good direction for Access to go in, as it lets Swery put characters and story on centre stage and avoid the stuff that – traditionally – he hasn't been as strong at. Y’know, like good controls.

On that subject, D4 is designed from the ground up for the next generation of Kinect. Players mimic on-screen gestures during action sequences and can simply speak their chosen option during conversations. How seamlessly this works remains to be seen; we’ve only been privy to a video of the game in action to date and haven’t been able to go hands-on. Swery explicitly made the point, however, that D4 is designed to be played sitting down. He also said that the Xbox One controller would be supported for players that aren’t interested in using Kinect.

D4 will be episodic in structure, with David’s quest to solve his wife’s murder as the overarching story arc. It's also a digital-only title, and at this stage the team is planning on releasing it episode by episode. At least, that's “our thought at this point,” according to Swery. The episodic structure should work well given David’s memory-hopping ability. It's likely that each episode will take place within a different memory, with its own set of self-contained objectives, as well as an important tie-in to the main story.

So exactly how does this time-jumping work? Well, in order to jump into the past, David has to touch mementos that are connected to memories he wants to investigate. “The day little Peggy died,” he tells the player, “I managed to survive, through some miracle. In exchange for my memories, I got this skill. This has to be some kind of revelation, but I plan to use this skill to find a memento that can take me back to that day, so I can save my wife.”

Whether he can save his wife is something of a mystery. “It’s a bit complicated, but he actually understands that he can’t change the past…” Swery tells us. Surely the act of travelling into the past changes it, we point out. “I can't give you many details just yet, but I think that being in the past was meant to be that way.”

It’s intriguing stuff, and deliberately multi-layered. No surprise, really; even the name is symbolic in more ways than one. In addition to Dark Dreams Don’t Die, it “also comes from the fact that the main character’s special skill is to go back into the past, so it’s the fourth dimension…" says Swery. "Also, in the game, ‘D’, the initial, is going to be a key word, and it’s going to have lots of important meanings.”

For the moment though, all we have to go on is the demo reel's short, densely-packed sequence. We meet a stewardess that looks exactly like David’s dead wife (to the extent that the gum bubble he’s blowing when he bumps into her pops and he just leaves it there, a pink mask across his astonished face), who alludes to being on the same “side” as him. We meet a scarred bald man who demands to know how David got on the plane. The pair have a history, evidently: “this time I’m interested in him, not you,” David says, motioning towards his target, a psychopath named Antonio Penny Zapatero, who he's convinced is harbouring evidence he needs.

Throughout these conversational vignettes the screen regularly splits into two or three frames, showing various elements of the scene from different angles. It complements D4’s cel-shaded visual style nicely, underlining a graphic novel flavour.

The climax of the sequence we're shown is a raucous, entertaining and creative fight between David and Zapatero. They struggle up and down the aisle, with the game moving in and out of slow motion. David screams into a megaphone in Zapatero’s face and the cord from an air mask is used as an impromptu garrotte. There’s also a delightful move mid-way through the battle where our hero is pushed back into a stewardess. Players who nail the timing on the input see him turn smoothly and grasp her hands as if she were a dancing partner, pirouetting on the spot to get past. It all ends with Zapatero disappearing amidst a blinding flash of light.

A small slice, then, and we’ve certainly come away with more questions than answers. It’s going to be interesting to see just what Swery has in store, given how much of an unknown this is. In fact, when we asked him whether there was a direct source of inspiration for D4 – akin to Twin Peaks’ influence on Deadly Premonition – he just laughed and told us – in English – “I have no idea.” Swery, unplugged. Bring it on.
ksevcov

Unread postby Heell » 21 Sep 2013 12:06

Heell

Unread postby ksevcov » 07 Nov 2013 06:24

ksevcov

Unread postby dinopoke » 13 Jun 2014 11:58

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2014/06/d4- ... -2014.html

1402359387-d4-dark-dreams-dont-die-1.jpg

1402359353-d4-dark-dreams-dont-die-3.jpg

1402359374-d4-dark-dreams-dont-die-5.jpg

1402359383-d4-dark-dreams-dont-die-4.jpg

1402359385-d4-dark-dreams-dont-die-6.jpg

1402359387-d4-dark-dreams-dont-die-7.jpg

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/11/sw ... -controls/

Ishaan wrote:Hidetaka “SWERY” Suehiros’s Xbox One exclusive, D4 (Dark Dreams Don’t Die), is still slated for a 2014 release, Siliconera learnt at E3.

The game will have three or four episodes in Season One, which will be released as a digital download this year.

While D4 uses Kinect, it can also be played with a controller for those that buy the $399 Xbox One without Kinect.
dinopoke

Unread postby Amor fati » 18 Sep 2014 09:42

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... e-tomorrow

Cel-shaded Xbox One mystery adventure D4 will launch worldwide tomorrow, 19th September, developer Hidetaka 'Swery' Suehiro confirmed to Eurogamer at Tokyo Games Show 2014.

The game will launch for $14.99 (UK price still to be confirmed) and include the prologue, first and second episodes. More episodes will follow at a later, undisclosed date.

Designed for Kinect, the whole game is also playable via a standard controller. In a live demonstration we saw how the game's camera movements (dragging and swiping your hand left and right in front of you) can be replicated by a simple tap of the control stick.

Action sequences require more advanced gestures - such as making running and leaping gestures to quickly slide your way through a closing door.

Swery has made action moments available to fail up to 10 times before the mission restarts so players are not too disrupted if they make an error.

Other Kinect gestures include tapping your head to bring up the game's investigation mode, where notable objects in your environment are highlighted.

Overall, the game appears to play much like Telltale's Walking Dead series in terms of how you explore environments, with certain items and objects available to probe. Selecting these items then allows you to perform a context-sensitive movement, such as turning your hands to operate a wheel.

The Kinect and controller move schemes can be switched between at the touch of a button, Swery added. Just putting down the controller on the floor and raising your hands moves you back into Kinect control mode.

A mode for standard Xbox One controllers was talked of inclusion from the start of the project, the developer concluded, and was not a response to Microsoft's dropping of Kinect for some Xbox One console bundles. As to which he personally prefers, Swery said that the Kinect controls were "more fun".

Free downloadable costumes will be made available each week after the game launches - announced every Monday and made available every Wednesday - which will tie into other well-known titles.

Launch trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdYCrTocP-c
Amor fati

Unread postby shubn » 06 Mar 2015 15:37

http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-news ... -released/

D4 PC build playable at GDC, but no confirmation if it’s being released

Dark Dreams Don’t Die, the Xbox One exclusive from Deadly Premonition creator Swery, didn’t seem to do entirely too well on MS’s platform when it released last year. Planned to be just the start of an episodic series, D4 has yet to be completed – ostensibly due to poor sales. But if this news from GDC hints at anything, D4 might get a second life on PC … maybe.

Reports from GDC reveal that a playable PC build of D4 was available at the show, but no one is saying if the build will actually be released. When pressured by fans, Swery played very coy and acted inquisitive about interest in seeing the port made available.

https://twitter.com/Swery65/status/573296419877994496

Do you really want it? RT @FullReactiveEye @necrosofty D4 on Steam, pretty please. :3

Yes, Swery. Of course we want the game, especially if it’s already finished! Put it on Steam, you goofy man!

This wouldn’t be the first time an Xbox One exclusive makes its way to PC, so there’s hope. We’re probably just going to have to play along for a while until we learn whether or not the game will be coming to the platform. If it’s already at a playable state, I’d say go for it. Maybe the PC version will sell well and convince the right people that a D4 season 2 is something people want.

[Source]
shubn

Unread postby ksevcov » 28 Apr 2015 16:05

http://gematsu.com/2015/04/d4-dark-drea ... -coming-pc

D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die, Access Games’ episodic Xbox One adventure game, is coming to PC, director Hidetaka “Swery” Suehiro announced.

“The catalyst for this port was the presentation I did at GDC, where we made a PC version experimentally to demonstrate the point that we could provide emotional immersion and recreate human sensations even without Kinect on hand and it was designed to be playable with nothing but a mouse,” Swery told Famitsu.

“Prior to my presentation, we had heard from a lot of people who said that they wanted to play D4, but don’t own an Xbox One, but afterwards when people knew that a PC version existed, they were really keen on seeing it get an actual release and created some buzz on social media.”

The next month will be dedicated to clearing the PC version of bugs.

Swery continued, “This past April, the staff has been working really hard day and night to get all aspects of the game ported over, so hopefully May will be focused on taking care of bugs.”

A release date was not announced.
ksevcov

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 07 May 2015 00:31

http://d4-game.com/pc/about_D4PC/

Changes from the Xbox One version

Kinect control functionality has been removed. Instead, the entire game can be played using only the mouse.
  ・Hand Cursor movement/selecting
  ・Grab controls
  ・Push controls
  ・Direction changes
  ・Posture changes
  ・Selecting/canceling
  ・Interactions

Kinect gesture input controls have been removed and replaced with mouse commands.
  ・There are new commands to do daily life activities like drinking tequila and opening fortune cookies.
  ・Special actions like activating Dive and Vision have been changed to new commands.
  ・Gesture inputs during cutscenes have been changed to new commands.

Synchronous Kinect inputs have been changed to new mouse commands.
  ・Actions like wiping the windows and fixing the switchboard have been customized for mouse controls.
・Other features like changing posture can now be done with the mouse.

All Kinect Commands during Synchro Stunts (QTEs) have been removed. Instead,
the QTEs can be played entirely using mouse controls.
  ・Actions like waving both arms and swiping repeatedly have been changed into new swipe methods and commands.
  ・Gesture commands like swinging the bat have been changed into new commands.
  ・Actions like screaming into the microphone have been changed into new commands.

All Xbox One DLC is now in-game content.
  ・Collaboration costumes can now be acquired within the game.
  ・Beard DLC can now be acquired within the game.
  ・The parameters of various outfits have been altered.
  ・“Today’s Free Outfit,” a new section of Amanda’s Shop, has been added.

Along with the above changes, the user interface has also been redone.
  ・Changes have been made to the affected areas in order to fit the mouse controls.

All voice controls have been removed.
  ・Voice input during Synchro Stunts (QTEs)
  ・Voice selection during conversation
  ・Selection during cutscenes
  ・Shortcuts in the closet and shop
  ・Shortcuts in the menu

Synchro Stunt (QTE) grading has been revised.

Item parameters and locations have been revised.

Options unique to the PC version have been added.
  ・Resolution Settings
  ・Window / Full Screen Settings
  ・Vsync ON / OFF
  ・Dynamic Shadows ON / OFF
  ・Subtitle Language Settings(EFIGSPJ supported)

The game now runs at 60fps.
  *Only capable when using the recommended settings.

Load times have been shortened.

Previously discovered bugs have been fixed.

Content unique to the Xbox ONE version has been removed.
  ・MELD compatibility
  ・Leaderboards

Unique content has been added to the Steam version.
  ・Steam Achievements
  ・Trading Cards
  ・Badges
  ・Emoticons
  ・Profile Backgrounds
  ・Cloud Saving
earthboundtrev

Unread postby shubn » 07 May 2015 14:12

http://gematsu.com/2015/05/d4-launches-pc-june-5-15

D4 launches for PC on June 5 for $15

The PC version of D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die will launch via Steam, the Humble Store, GOG.com, Playism, and such on June 5 for $14.99 (1,500 yen in Japan), Access Games announced.
shubn

Unread postby shubn » 25 May 2015 20:41

shubn

Unread postby shubn » 29 May 2015 18:28

The PC demo is available: http://d4-game.com/pc/
shubn

Return to Games