default header

Games

[AC] [PS4] Border Break

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby zinger » 26 Jun 2012 05:47

Review: http://www.mechadamashii.com/reviews/re ... break-910/

Credits are accrued as “game points”, or GP, and these slowly tick down on a timer. Once you run out that’s the end of your game. The GP system also applies to the time you spend in the front end, though you do have a brief grace period. Though the really cunning use of GP is how you customise your blast runner. Much like in Armored Core, you can customise not only the mecha’s frame but also its weapon load out. Apart from requiring certain raw materials to “make” a part, which are awarded at the end of each match via a random draw, you also need pay for each one with GP. That’s right, you literally pay real world money to upgrade your blast runner. It’s a clever system, as everything feeds back into your GP in one way or another and it never feels as though you’re being fleeced for every 100 yen coin you own.

Insert extra yen to gain extra power? Sounds a bit messed up to me.
zinger

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Jun 2012 20:03

I skimmed the review, and he doesn't seem to mention how he even GOT to play the game. With a game such as this, this is important information. And also how long he played it for, under what circumstances, etc. Except if he did mention it and I missed it. I'll read it properly later.

Also, what zinger said. It looks like a really bad review.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Cacophanus » 29 Jun 2012 22:27

I played it in a Japanese arcade (specifically one in Nagoya). At the time of the review I'd amassed around 12 hours play time (since then I've played it a lot more as well as the sequel, Air Burst).

Not sure zinger said the review was bad, just that the monetisation was a bit suspect. You don't pay for power either; as I explained you pay for GP points that act as a timer and can also be used in customisation. Customisation doesn't award more powerful parts either, just different.
Cacophanus

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Jul 2012 18:39

I am the one saying the review is bad, not zinger. The mere lack of commentary on the money issue makes it so. And what's the point of "customization" if it doesn't affect your mech's performance (i.e. power)? What are you "customizing" then, the colors?

The other reason I am saying the review is bad (after having fully read it this time) is that you give the game 9/10, and yet I get no sense of what's so special about it (because that's what a 9/10 rating means: that the game is special). So it's a mecha-themed multiplayer Battlefield with inertia and whathaveyou, and so what? There's no indication in your review that the game is an exhilarating experience of some kind: you are mostly listing its features, and offering tepid approval or disapproval; on top of which you say NOT A WORD about the aesthetics, and even the comments on the technical side of the graphics are vague. I am not even going to get into the quality of the writing ("a thoughtfully crafted affirmation of why mecha games exist" lol), because at this point it'd be cruel. (Having said that, you really need to look up how to use the semicolon.)

I mean look at this crap:

Cacophanus wrote:Not that long ago, Banpresto funded the development of a rather insane Gundam arcade game called Senjo no Kizuna. The player would literally sit inside a panoramic cockpit and pilot a mobile suit. In addition, each of the hugely expensive cabinets would be connected via an online network to other such machines across Japan. Upon its release, Banpresto soon realised they’d cornered a new part of the arcade gaming market. As queues lengthened to play the game, the main draw wasn’t just the amazing cockpit but also its online capability.

I played the damn game: it was the last game I played before I left Japan -- literally the night before my flight. It is a crappy, ugly, slow-assed, barebones deathmatch game. The entire draw is the cabin, "online capability" my ass. What difference does it make to me if the opponents are sitting next to me or in another town? It's not like I can see them in either case! And that's just the first paragraph. You are taking the game's popularity and inferring from that that it was good. Next stop Metacritic!

I mean look at this shit:

http://www.mechadamashii.com/category/reviews/

Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 PS2 9/10
Super Robot Wars Z 2 Saisei Hen PSP 9/10
Gundam Unicorn PS3 7/10
Armored Core V PS3 9/10
Gundam Extreme Versus PS3 9/10
Armored Core Master of Arena PSone 10/10
Virtual On Oratorio Tangram Dreamcast 9/10
Gundam Memories PSP 3/10
Armored Core Project Phantasma PSone 7/10
Super Robot Wars Z 2 Hakai Hen PSP 9/10
Macross Triangle Frontier PSP 8/10
Another Century's Episode Portable PSP 7/10
Virtual On Force 360 7/10
Armored Core PSone 9/10
Virtual On Arcade 10/10
Front Mission Evolved PS3 6/10
Explosionade 360 8/10
Another Century's Episode R PS3 5/10
Transformers War for Cybertron 360 7/10
Senko no Ronde DUO 360 8/10
Lost Planet 2 360 8/10
Armored Core Last Raven Portable PSP 4/10
Gundam Assault Survive PSP 4/10
Metal Wolf Chaos Xbox 9/10
Armored Core 3 Portable PSP 3/10
Border Break Arcade 9/10
Gundam vs Gundam Next Plus PSP 8/10
Armored Core Last Raven PS2 9/10
Macross Ultimate Frontier PSP 8/10
Armored Core Ninebreaker PS2 8/10
Thexder Neo PSP 8/10
Super Robot Wars Z PS2 9/10
Gundam Senki 0081 PS3 8/10
Armored Core For Answer PS3 8/10
Armored Core 4 PS3 7/10
Armored Core Nexus PS2 9/10
Macross PS2 8/10
Tetsujin 28-go PS2 8/10
Virtual On Marz PS2 6/10
Anubis PS2 5/10
Armored Core 3 Silent Line PS2 10/10
Armored Core 3 PS2 9/10
Gundam Lost War Chronicles PS2 7/10
Zeonic Front PS2 9/10
Another Century's Episode PS2 8/10
Armored Core 2 Another Age PS2 5/10
Armored Core 2 PS2 4/10
Gundam Rise from the Ashes Dreamcast 7/10
Soukou Kihei VOTOMS PS2 8/10

Why not just give every game a 10/10 and be done with it?

I realize all this will sound very cruel and improbable to you, but you can always go back to your fawning comments section and forget about it, so I am not worried about you and can just giving it to you as I see it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

[PS4] Border Break

Unread postby recoil » 11 Jan 2018 08:08

Free-to-play Border Break announced for PS4
https://gematsu.com/2018/01/free-play-b ... ounced-ps4
recoil

Unread postby ExiledOne » 11 Jan 2018 21:49

Very exciting news, I've been interested in this series for a while now. PS4's region-free so I assume people outside Japan can get on this? I intend to.
ExiledOne

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Jan 2018 22:54

Will give us a reason to use PSN, and since it's free we might be able to get near to a full team for 10v10 matches.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ExiledOne » 24 Feb 2018 12:22

Seems there were a few beta tests earlier this month:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... nced-sega/

This looks like the official site:

http://ps4.borderbreak.com
ExiledOne

Unread postby ExiledOne » 17 Apr 2018 15:42

Launches in Japan August 2nd.

https://gematsu.com/2018/04/border-brea ... 2-in-japan

Looks like there's gonna be physical releases as well as digital ones.
ExiledOne

Unread postby ExiledOne » 17 Apr 2018 16:29

Latest trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=RqO5PHHlnDo

Seems like the intro movie.
ExiledOne

Previous

Return to Games