default header

Games

The Official Insomnia Game of the Year Awards (1962-2018)

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby icycalm » 25 May 2018 15:01

I moved my lengthy preamble from the top of the page, to the bottom, with the notes. I did this because this page is now the second-most popular one on the site, with 23,000+ views since about a year ago, when I launched it. For comparison, the Genealogy has 25,000+ views, but that number only includes the three-four years it's been on the new site, so it could well be double that if we include the several years it spent on the old site, for which I don't have statistics. In any case, at the rate at which the GOTY page is being viewed, it will be Insomnia's most visited within six months to a year, so I think that moving the wall of text to the bottom and presenting the new visitor with the game list right away should help focus more people's attention more efficiently.

In other news, the GOTY curator will pass 1,000 followers within the next few days.

I am looking forward to covering the remaining games on the list with at least preliminary in-depth reviews well before summer's end. And then I'll methodically start personally reviewing everything on Patreon.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Aug 2018 04:46

Phoenix Point was pushed back to June 2019, so I replaced it with Ymir as provisional 2018 GOTY runner-up. Universim just came out, but it seems quite barebones, as most of its content will be added via updates (you can only tech up to some primitive age currently), so it's probably out of the running for this year. There aren't that many GOTY candidates left before the year runs out, so it seems that Kingdom Come and Spider-Man will retain their slots, although I might switch them around when I get around to playing them. It is the third slot that might prove tough to fill. No idea if I'll end up keeping Ymir, but currently it's a decent bet.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Sep 2018 05:12

I switched places between Until Dawn and Dying Light, so that the latter is now 2015 GOTY and the former is second runner-up.

I did this because I caught a bit of stakkir's stream of Dying Light today and I was blown away by it. Then Diamond said it's one of his favorite games this decade, which confirmed my two-minute impression.

I moved it up my playlist, though I might have to try Dead Island first to compare.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Sep 2018 09:10

icycalm
Hyperborean

Previous

Return to Games