default header

Games

[PS2] [PS3] Gradius V

Moderator: JC Denton

[PS2] [PS3] Gradius V

Unread postby Reid » 22 Dec 2006 22:29

I picked up this game again. It's been interesting playing it again and trying to remember where to freeze my options and the attack pattern of the bosses. I can make it all the way to level 4-2 on 1 credit. Thats pretty poor, but It's not too bad for me.

This also brings up the fact that I hate almost all horizontal shooters the moment I start to play them. They're just so unnatural feeling. I don't mind gradius though. Not sure why. Are you?
Reid

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Dec 2006 16:04

I suspect the reason you hate horis is because most of them use checkpoints, and that gives them an adrenaline-destroying "start-stop" feeling every time you lose a life.

For example, you probably like Cave's Progear because it uses instant respawns, correct?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Reid » 26 Dec 2006 23:47

I do enjoy progear, but I think that I dislike them simply because my eyes don't follow it as well as vertical shooters. Check points suck alot as well though.
Reid

Unread postby Mr. Apol » 14 Feb 2007 01:29

i really prefer the checkpoint system - mainly because it gives a much more urgent sense of doom. you can't just "respawn", you have to make sure you get it right, or you don't advance. it's more brutal, but in my opinion it gives a greater reward for accomplishment. instant respawns sort of cheapen the deal.
Mr. Apol

Unread postby icycalm » 14 Feb 2007 19:23

Well the thing is, once you start playing an instant-respawn shooter the way it is meant to be played, you find yourself quitting when you lose the first life anyway. Your score will suck from that point on anyways...

The two approaches (checkpoints/instant respawns) have different charms. Manic shooters work by creating and maintaining that frantic adrenaline-pumped feeling, and so checkpoints would kill their flow.

Some people prefer the hori/checkpoint combination, though most these days have been seduced by vert/instant respawn shooters. Myself, I can appreciate both styles equally.

One more thing about shooters with instant respawns is that beginners seem to prefer them.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Mr. Apol » 15 Feb 2007 00:05

icycalm wrote:Well the thing is, once you start playing an instant-respawn shooter the way it is meant to be played, you find yourself quitting when you lose the first life anyway. Your score will suck from that point on anyways...

oddly enough, i do this with most all games now. i can't stand saving, and just play until i'm dead or i've beaten the game. i used to do this with contra III a lot.

The two approaches (checkpoints/instant respawns) have different charms. Manic shooters work by creating and maintaining that frantic adrenaline-pumped feeling, and so checkpoints would kill their flow.

some games do this far better than others. noiz2sa comes to mind as a shining example of a manic shooter with respawns that keep you in the flow.

Myself, I can appreciate both styles equally.

same here.

One more thing about shooters with instant respawns is that beginners seem to prefer them.

well, yeah, it's far more accessible. it's not as bad if they're not exposed to something like it early on. i cut my shooter teeth on gradius III (snes) so i was used to this from the start. the gradius syndrome gets really frustrating, but there's a reason for the konami code power up.
Mr. Apol

Unread postby shubn » 15 Apr 2015 21:48

https://twitter.com/TreasureCoLtd/statu ... 6666262528

「GRADIUS V (グラディウスV)」が、PS3(PS2アーカイブス)にて配信開始しました!http://www.treasure-inc.co.jp/

JP PS3 PSN page: https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja-jp/ゲーム/グラディウスv/cid=JP0101-NPJD00088_00-0000000000000000
shubn

Return to Games