default header

Games

ronan's graphic works

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Sep 2014 05:11

Umm... You got all that stuff that's cut in half at the top-left side of the header...

Can you try something more conservative with this image?

http://uk.playstation.com/static/furn/p ... es_psn.jpg
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 24 Sep 2014 05:40

PlayStation-Network e.jpg

PlayStation-Network c.png

PlayStation-Network d.png
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Sep 2014 06:01

Picked the first one. Does the job nicely and is a nice change from all the colors of the other headers. We have a good range of colors now, I think, thanks.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Oct 2014 18:53

Ronan, could you make 270x100 Steam, YouTube and Twitch banners for the frontpage sidebar? I want to add a little section called "Join Us" right under the book showcase with all these social links...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 18 Oct 2014 21:17

I made them all white on a transparent background.

Steam.png
Steam.png (6.57 KiB) Viewed 19603 times

Twitch.png
Twitch.png (3.36 KiB) Viewed 19603 times

YouTube.png
YouTube.png (5.59 KiB) Viewed 19603 times
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Oct 2014 21:26

They look great, but I am not sure if all-white is the best option. I am gonna upload them right now and test it. Either way, they'll definitely get the job done in the short term, and we can think about adding color later. I'll let you know when they are up.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 18 Oct 2014 21:34

The Twitch logo might be too big...

Twitch smaller.png
Twitch smaller.png (2.57 KiB) Viewed 19597 times

As for the color, I wanted something harmonious and less noticeable than the clan logo. But let me know if you have a better idea.
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Oct 2014 21:59

Yep, new Twitch logo is much better.

And you might be right about the harmony. I am certainly very pleased by how everything looks now. However, if you can spare the time at some point, you can also try colored versions, and it'd only take a moment to test them.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 18 Oct 2014 22:07

A few more options:

YouTube red2.png
YouTube red2.png (6.68 KiB) Viewed 19591 times

YouTube red.png
YouTube red.png (6.5 KiB) Viewed 19593 times

Twitch purple.png
Twitch purple.png (3.23 KiB) Viewed 19593 times

Twitch purple2.png
Twitch purple2.png (3.7 KiB) Viewed 19593 times

Twitch purple3.png
Twitch purple3.png (3.58 KiB) Viewed 19593 times

Steam blue3.png
Steam blue3.png (10.95 KiB) Viewed 19591 times

Steam blue.png
Steam blue.png (10.52 KiB) Viewed 19591 times

Steam blue4.png
Steam blue4.png (7.15 KiB) Viewed 19590 times
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Oct 2014 23:32

So I settled on what I think are the official colors for the logos. Can you recheck to make sure they are indeed the official colors? I am not sure if I picked the correct Twitch purple, and the Steam logo on the top left corner the Steam site seems to have a color gradient to it. If you can't get the exact same gradient, I'll go with full white, but the rest should be easy to make sure they are the exact same colors.

The all-white logos looked cool, but I think this looks at least a little bit better now.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 20 Oct 2014 23:13

YouTube actually recommends using an all-white logo on dark backgrounds. But the red and white logo is also a possibility, as seen near the bottom of this page: https://www.youtube.com/yt/brand/color.html.

Twitch proposes either a black or a white logo, but they have two shades of purple as brand colors: http://www.twitch.tv/p/brandassets. They use the darker shade themselves on their website, like you do. You may choose the other one, tho, since you have dark backgrounds.

Steam, on the other hand, does not offer such guidelines, as far as I know. The Steam icon features a gradient of blue, but I have not seen such a thing on a full logo. The logo on their website features gradients of grey and some shadows. Unfortunately, it is very small, so I had to recreate it:

Steam gradient.png
Steam gradient.png (6.71 KiB) Viewed 19583 times
Last edited by ronan on 20 Oct 2014 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby ronan » 20 Oct 2014 23:27

I have seen a little error on the Twitch logos, whose outlines are too bright. Here are the corrected versions:

Twitch purple2b.png
Twitch purple2b.png (2.48 KiB) Viewed 19581 times

Twitch purple3b.png
Twitch purple3b.png (2.47 KiB) Viewed 19581 times
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Oct 2014 00:03

I am currently trying out the new Steam color and the lighter Twitch color you made. I like the latter, but not so much the former, so I might switch back to the white Steam logo soon. I'll just leave them both for a few hours to get used to them and see how I feel about them.

The only other thing I'd like you to do, when you can spare the time, so as to finish with this business forever, is to make sure all the logos line up perfectly. I mean that they are centered perfectly. It looks to me that the YouTube and Twitch ones are, but I am not sure about the Cult and Steam ones...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Oct 2014 00:07

Okay, I am keeping the darker Twitch logo, because the lighter one was too similar to Steam's color, and it would have forced me to switch to the white Steam logo, which is not quite official. This way I get to keep all official colors without anything clashing with anything else.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 25 Nov 2014 01:48

I have shifted the following logos by one pixel:

Steam.png
Steam.png (6.77 KiB) Viewed 19565 times

YouTube.png
YouTube.png (6.56 KiB) Viewed 19565 times

Let me know if anything still does not look right to you. (Since some logos have significantly more non-transparent pixels on one side, one might actually prefer not to have them perfectly centered in the banner...)
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Nov 2014 04:13

Well, it all looks perfect right now to my eye, so I don't think we need to adjust anything else at this point. Thanks. I am glad to have that part of the frontpage out of the way.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Dec 2014 22:04

Some header work for you ronan, when you can spare the time.

zeldanodensetsu-e.jpg

At the top edge, to the right of that circular object in the middle, there is a vague elongated white shape. I'd like that gone, along with its surrounding glow. Also, near the top-right corner there's a white dot that needs to go. And at the bottom edge, halfway between Link and the bottom-right corner, there is the gold end of an arrow -- the arrow's feathers. It'd be nice if that could be removed too.

assassinscreed_h.jpg

At the top edge, immediately to the right of the ship/mast, there is a small part of the mast that seems to be "hanging in space" because the image is cropped above it and you can't see how it connects with the rest of the ship, so I'd like that gone.

panzerdragoon.jpg

I think you've done this before for the previous version of the site. I need the two dragons, one small and one large, whose bodies are cut at the top edge of the header, to be removed. Or at least the small one; I am not so sure I want the large one removed too. Maybe you could make two versions, one without the small one, and one without either of them, so I can choose?

battlefield_i.jpg

This might be tough. I want that weird curved red line on the top-left of the header gone. The one that breaks off from all the other lines on its own, and curves upward -- including, at the top edge of the image, the two red smudges to its right and to its left. I basically want all that shit cleaned off.

battlefield_g.jpg

The lone plane on the left side of the image needs to go, and maybe also the small one to its right, next to the carrier. Not so sure about the small one, so maybe you could make two versions of this header again?

devilmaycry_d.jpg

And I left the toughest for last. Not sure if this even possible, but I'd like that big red design to the right of Dante's head, on the top-right hand corner of the image, to be removed. It's huge, you can't miss it. No idea how it got there in the first place or what it's supposed to represent.

I am in the middle of making and uploading a ton of new headers, so I might need help with a few more later on. Just do what you can when you can, as usual.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 07 Dec 2014 05:36

Here are the easier ones. I do not know if I can manage to retouch the others, but I will let you know if I succeed.

zeldanodensetsu-e.jpg

assassinscreed_h.jpg

panzerdragoon.jpg

panzerdragoon2.jpg

battlefield_g.jpg

battlefield_g2.jpg
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby ronan » 07 Dec 2014 06:06

I have found rawer images for Dante. I could use them to help me retouch the one you proposed (or modify one of them to make it similar to the one you proposed). But maybe you will prefer to use one of them as it is...

Devil_May_Cry_3_by_Son_Mao_Lin.jpg

dmc3-illust-dante7.jpg

Devil_May_Cry_3___Dante_by_XxJokerxX.jpg
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Dec 2014 01:06

Updated all of them including making a new DMC3 one, which however needs a little bit more work.

devil-may-cry-3.jpg

At the bottom-right corner, to the right of his arm, there's some white pixels I'd like removed. More importantly, the left edge of the image has a whiteish band that I'd like to be darkened appropriately to match the colors of all the pixels next to it.

And a bunch of new ones.

risen.jpg

At the top-left corner there is something that looks like a rock or a part of an off-image monster that I'd like removed.

homefront.jpg

The flag at the bottom edge of the image needs to go.

call_of_duty_advanced_warfare-wide.jpg

To the left of the bridge there is part of a helicopter/plane thingy, and at the bottom edge, towards the left of the image (right at the bottom of the bridge support), there is part of someone's head, and they both need to go.

grand_theft_auto_v.jpg

Quite a bit of stuff on this one. 1) Before the "WOOD" characters there is part of a letter visible. 2) Under the "WOOD" characters there is a little white box of pixels on the wall. 3) At the bottom edge, to the left of the cop, there are is a little clump of dark pixels hanging out alone. 4) At the bottom edge, to the right of the girl's arm, at the bottom of the first tree, there are some random pixels that don't belong there. 5) At the bottom-right edge there is part of an object that doesn't belong there. 6) A little bit before this object, there is part of a door or window to a house that's cut off by the edge of the image. 7) And finally, at the left edge there is some foliage hanging there without being connected to a tree. I am not sure if I want this gone, so maybe you can make me two versions for that?

That's it for now. I also got about 5 or 10 more that need very minor details corrected, but I am saving them for much later. No one will notice those other than me.

Something else I wanted to ask you. How would you feel if I moved this thread to the Games forum? Do you ever check it? I am thinking it wouldn't hurt for people to see how much work we put into this...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 08 Dec 2014 04:44

Sure, feel free to move the thread if you like. This work started in the Games forum, in fact (in: "Help make the site look a little nicer"). I will suscribe to the thread, and I do check the forum regularly, no worry.

As for the headers:

devil-may-cry-3.jpg

risen.jpg

homefront.jpg

call_of_duty_advanced_warfare-wide.jpg

grand_theft_auto_v.jpg

grand_theft_auto_v2.jpg
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby Some guy » 08 Dec 2014 22:19

Wow, great work guys.
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Dec 2014 00:14

Glad to see they all worked out. Will get back to you in a few days with a bunch of smaller touch-up jobs.

It's crazy thinking of how long you've been doing this. I remember at first you had a lot of trouble doing even simple things, and now the stuff you do seems like magic to me lol.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 03 May 2015 20:27

Just made a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/insomniacult

Could you make a banner for the frontpage for it, to go at the bottom of the "Join Us" section?

And while you are at it, could you also take care of this that I mentioned before?

icycalm wrote:The only other thing I'd like you to do, when you can spare the time, so as to finish with this business forever, is to make sure all the logos line up perfectly. I mean that they are centered perfectly. It looks to me that the YouTube and Twitch ones are, but I am not sure about the Cult and Steam ones...
icycalm
Hyperborean

PreviousNext

Return to Games