default header

Games

[WEB] [IPHONE] [IPOD] Canabalt

Moderator: JC Denton

[WEB] [IPHONE] [IPOD] Canabalt

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Feb 2010 15:23

http://toase.net/2009/12/21/canabalt/

Andrew wrote:You have no control over your avatar’s movements in the game besides jumping. He is already running. Your responsibility as the player is to make sure he jumps. There is one button in this game. It can be picked up by anyone. The only difficulty curve is learning to overcome your own lack of patience to wait until that perfect second to execute the jump. There are no pretenses of depth that only end up disappointing.

Yeah, no pretenses of depth that end up disappointing -- just a complete lack of depth that ends up disappointing, lol.

No wonder Tim liked it.

http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=618

BEST GEAM 4EVAR LOL111!
--Tim "lil faget" Rogers
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Feb 2010 15:35

The first review I linked, by the way, is a perfect example of disgustingly smarmy new games journlolism fagotry, complete with painfully jarring attempts at profundity and retarded italicizations. The last few paragraphs in particular have to be read to be believed:

Andrew wrote:I’ve seen Canabalt labelled as one of 2009’s “indie darlings.” The criticism that naturally follows such attention has focused on its lack of producing an experience of any significance; it’s too short. Aside from the initial novelty, there is no reason a person needs to pick this game up more than once. They would be wrong. There is a reason.

Canabalt is a game of the simplest philosophy, hearkening back to the days where “High Score” actually meant something. Success is easily quantified. There is no secret there: to go farther, you must get better at the game. Anyone can grasp this concept. The failure condition is equally simple: you die. But even here the game has something to say, because you don’t just fall into a chasm. You hit the brick wall of your skill level. Canabalt wants you to do better.

With enough patience, Canabalt can last forever. And you want it to last forever. As long as that character is running across the screen, you are alive. You go on because you must.

Or you die.

Completely ignorant of the fact that we already have about 20,000 other games that subscribe to this philosophy, and which were not made for deaf and dumb quadriplegics to boot.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby faceplant » 21 Feb 2010 19:57

This is also available as a Flash game, not that it matters much. Playing it is as boring as it sounds.

http://www.adamatomic.com/canabalt/
faceplant

Unread postby JoshF » 21 Feb 2010 21:52

Tim should start reviewing games from the '70s and pretend they're new indie games. I think he'd be amazed how many mechanically poignant, stylistically succinct, and aesthetically self-confident games were released during that time!
JoshF

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Feb 2010 23:57

From Tim's review:

"Canabalt revels in its decision to cut out even the hassle of having to keep your finger on a control pad."

I shit you not: it's in the actual review -- sixth paragraph.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Feb 2010 00:07

One day, long after I have published my final essay on the subject of videogames, there will be a Tim Rogers game review with the following line in it:

"Game X revels in its decision to cut out even the hassle of having to keep your life-support equipment switched on."
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby JoshF » 22 Feb 2010 06:15

Tim Rogers wrote:Just as Wonder Boy (and then Adventure Island) looked at the Super Mario formula, realized that everybody just held down the run button all of the time anyway, and decided to do away with the run button and give you a character who accelerated the longer you held the directional button down
This is false. Wonder Boy had the same controls as Super Mario Bros. No one gives a shit, but still he might want to correct that.

I enjoyed this comment:
raigan wrote:I’m shocked you like this game so much.. the graphics are great, lots of polish in the presentation, but really it’s simply “roll the dice” which gets boring very quickly.

The randomness is just too much — it’s very easy to get into a situation where there’s no possible way to survive, thanks to a previous decision (to slow down or now). But the previous decision had to be made without knowing what was coming next, which means that half the time you guess right and the other half you die.

This is basically the problem with “dope wars” type games; they amount to rolling the dice again and again, and every once in a while you get a big winning streak which feels great, but ultimately it’s still just dice.. not really a fun game, as there are no interesting decisions to be made.

If you could see 4x as far in front of you, so that the decision to slow down or not was more than a pure guess, it might be an amazing game. Everything else is perfect, except for the fact that — assuming you master the jumping — it’s ultimately just a random-dice-roll.

Followed by this:
amadeus3000 wrote:I like jumping. And running.
Last edited by JoshF on 22 Feb 2010 22:00, edited 2 times in total.
JoshF

Unread postby Vert1 » 22 Feb 2010 21:29

This sounds like Bayonetta's easy mode where the game is essentially a QTE. Perhaps we should start calling this stripping down of game mechanics "minimal gaming" akin to minimal techno (or any other minimal thing) -- this does sound artfaggy which is why I put the perhaps.
Last edited by Vert1 on 13 Jun 2010 22:43, edited 2 times in total.
final destination
Vert1

Unread postby Bread » 23 Feb 2010 01:41

I think we can shorten that term a bit. "Mini-game" sounds right!
Bread

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Mar 2010 22:49

http://insomnia.ac/reviews/artistic_art/canabalt/

Leigh Rogers certainly has a way with words -- I am almost convinced now. Perhaps I should swallow down my egoism (a difficult proposition, seeing how big it is) and give this little hidden mainstream gem a try...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby abe » 22 Mar 2010 01:37

Did Leigh select the images? I like how they keep repeating and the black and white thing which strips away most of the picture. I think it's supposed to symbolize the simplicity and duplicity of video games and how it relates to our own lives.
abe

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Feb 2011 21:57

People in the TIGS thread keep linking this thread to show that there is, at least, one "indie" game that I like.

I liked it for the first hour or so that I played it. Since then I have tried playing it many times, in order to review it, and failed. The very thought of playing this again makes me depressed. So the game will eventually be reviewed along with all the others on my list, and get a single star. My initial comments above are then just that: first impressions, and therefore rash and inaccurate, as sometimes happens. (Check, e.g. the World of Goo thread for a similar critical itinerary -- only World of Goo is still about 100 times better than this.)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby zinger » 15 Apr 2011 11:58

http://www.honestgamers.com/reviews/9272/Canabalt.html

Zigfried wrote:Canabalt was made in five days for a contest based around the theme of "bare minimum", so this is a case where the creator knew he was making something ridiculously simple. It's the goofy audience that erected Canabalt's undeserved pedestal. Here's a guy who knows how to dress up even the simplest concept . . . and idiots encourage him to keep wasting his talents on crap. If this guy can make non-interaction look meaningful, imagine what he could accomplish on a worthwhile project!

I've browsed through a couple of reviews by this guy now. He tends to lose focus every now and then, and usually misses some stuff that I would have pointed out if I had written the reviews, but it's always refreshing to read someone who dares going into details about the games' mechanics in order to prove his points.
zinger

Unread postby icycalm » 15 Apr 2011 16:04

It's true that he "knows how to dress even the simplest concept". No idea if that skill would translate to anything genuinely exciting if he was given a full team to work with, however. The problem is again the same: these people know nothing about the history of these genres, so any attempt they make to create games in them are bound to commit errors that the professionals overcame decades ago. The chances of them miraculously rediscovering all the conventions that it took an army of Japanese professionals two decades to discover are practically zero.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games