Hard Corps: Uprising

Games

[360] [PS3] Hard Corps: Uprising

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby zinger » 25 Feb 2011 11:28

JoshF wrote:I should also mention at this point that this is the fastest action shooter ever made.

Even faster than Alien Soldier? I just got back to playing it after a long time absence from it. It's the best game I've played in the genre, and probably the fastest action game I've ever seen. Man, it's so insanely intense. I just finished a round which even made me shed a tear out of pure enjoyment. That's never happened to me with a game before. I'm bursting with excitement over this shit and can't wait to get back home from work to start writing a review of it.
zinger

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Feb 2011 18:03

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 89#p659889

PepsimanVsJoe wrote:http://www.pwnem.com/t-hard-corps-uprising-review
My review has undergone some revisions.
Score is now a 6.25/10

I am lolling so hard at this. He is basically rating out of 1000. His score is 625/1000 lol.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 20 Oct 2012 01:13

Played 2 credits of this (Arcade/Normal), got to the first boss once. Everything is as I expected, except the graphics. Some backgrounds and foreground objects are really low on polygon counts, and on a 32-inch screen 3 feet/1 meter away from my face, they really stand out. I don't know what size screen Josh is using, but the sweet spot for this game seems to be anywhere between 20 to 25 inches on 720p. Unfortunately, I don't have such a small screen here with me. The other option would be to sit so far away from the screen, that you can't make out the lack of detail in those low-polygon objects. Unfortunately, I don't have that much space in the room the screen is in at the moment either.

Other stuff: stages are reeeeally long. Like easily twice as long as those of the typical Metal Slug. Not a bad thing, since at least the first stage that I played is hella fun, but I can see this issue forcing me to take breaks between credits. Like, 4 credits of Raiden IV between each credit of Uprising. I think that would be a good ratio. Throw in a couple of credits of Blazblue in between, and that's a good couple of hours of great all-around 2D gaming. Call it the icycalm recipe of contemporary 2D gaming. And couple it with a little of singleplayer Bayonetta and co-op 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand, and you have a well-rounded action game diet. Now if only one of you fags would get off your lazy asses, download the 50 Cent game and sent me a friend invite, all would be well in my little digital heaven kingdom.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Nic P » 20 Oct 2012 18:18

For anyone who might know, does the game ever get as hectic as Goku Makaimura Kai? I've seen a video of stage 7 that looks fucking INSANE, but I wanted to get the perspective of someone who's played through it.

Also, icy, I was wondering what you think of the game in terms of art direction? From what I've seen (I've watched an HD playthrough of most of it) I think the game is gorgeous, with more great touches and ideas per level than most games manage throughout. That being said, I would still rank it slightly below Kai (man I love that game).
Nic P

Unread postby JoshF » 24 Oct 2012 01:57

I played the game on a 32 inch CRT TV. I noticed low polygon count in the background but I figured it was a stylistic choice along with the anime-ish sprites and textures. It's possible I was being generous because I enjoyed the game so much, but I don't think the low polygons were offensive in the way they would've been if it were a Shin Contra sequel.
JoshF

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Oct 2012 03:21

I don't see any reason why "anime-ish sprites and textures" would be especially suited to low polygon background (AND foreground) objects. No visual style is suited to low polygon count anything -- except a bad style (for reasons explained in the Genealogy). But if your CRT was SD, I can see why this might not have bothered you.

As for Nic P not having even played Uprising and coming in and telling me that Goku Makaimura is better than a game he hasn't played because he watched a video on YouTube: go fuck yourself, dude. One more shitty post like that and you are gone. No one here gives a shit what some casual fuckwad thinks about anything, so stop clogging up my threads with your bullshit. If you can't keep your comments confined to shit you DO know about, stop fucking posting for fuck's sakes. "OH, BUT I SAW A VIDEO ON YOUTUBE." Fucking casuals.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Oct 2012 03:25

Another thing. The header for this thread sucks, because I couldn't find any high resolution illustrations for this game. If you can find any, please be so good as to post them here for me.

The vagaries of releasing a game as a $15 download. The developer can't even be bothered to create even a single proper illustration for it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby raphael » 24 Oct 2012 05:28

Nothing great, really. Just in case you like one.

Source images if you prefer:
http://achtnien.com/un_sur_deux/extra/insomnia/sources/
raphael

Unread postby raphael » 24 Oct 2012 13:27

Some more:

raphael

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Oct 2012 17:16

Thanks!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Jan 2018 02:36

http://forums.gamengai.com/viewtopic.php?p=28910#p28910

CIT Seven Force wrote:It's a fantastic title. Only thing I would criticize about it is that it's a tad too long (at well over an hour for a playthrough) to feel truly arcade and that it's much more fun with all the upgrades unlocked, but also becomes too easy then.

Make you sure you get Sayuri (one of the DLC characters) as the game becomes Strider on steroids with her — my favorite way to play the game. ;)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Previous

Return to Games