alastair

Unread postby ingolfr » 13 Feb 2013 14:43

ingolfr

Unread postby Dolt » 20 Feb 2013 00:14

Dolt

Unread postby ksevcov » 21 Feb 2013 07:52

http://www.gamefront.com/metal-gear-ris ... aster-egg/

How to Unlock All Difficulties with the Konami Code Cheat

At the Main Menu screen, before pressing Start enter the following code.

X-box 360: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
PS3: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, O, X, Start

If you get the code right, Raiden will say the game’s title.

When starting a new game, you’ll be able to start at any difficulty, including the cruel Revengeance difficulty. Here are the settings you’ll have unlocked: Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard, Revengeance.
ksevcov

Unread postby ksevcov » 12 Mar 2013 06:19

ksevcov

Unread postby icycalm » 31 Mar 2013 00:48

From the review's author in the comments:

http://scathingaccuracy.com/reviews/335 ... -826483704

S.A. Renegade wrote:I don't consider the Zandatsu healing to be a problem because these games aren't about resource management, i.e: ideally you're not even getting hit at all.

That's what Assperger's will do to you. Imagine an action movie in which the protagonist never gets hit. Zero understanding of dramatic tension.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Heell » 09 Apr 2013 11:31

Heell

Unread postby Ryusenshi » 02 May 2013 09:38

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2013/0006 ... n-prix.htm

The release date of the Blade Wolf DLC will be May 14 on the Xbox 360 and May 15 on the PS3.

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2013/0006 ... lustre.htm

Some images.

metal-gear-rising-revengeance-xbox-360-1366979015-248.jpg

metal-gear-rising-revengeance-xbox-360-1366979015-249.jpg

metal-gear-rising-revengeance-xbox-360-1366979015-254.jpg

metal-gear-rising-revengeance-xbox-360-1366979015-255.jpg
Ryusenshi

Unread postby Some guy » 09 May 2013 13:25

Some guy

Unread postby shubn » 17 May 2013 13:33

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558818

at today's Hideradio, Kojima Hideo confirmed that Metal Gear Rising:Revengence is coming to PC.

no word on release date.

http://www.kjp.konami.jp/gs/hideoblog/

https://twitter.com/PG_jp/status/335367956471087105

I am excited to see Rising hit the PC. BTW - direct all please direct PC MGR questions to @konami. :)
shubn

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Nov 2013 05:14

An improvement over Bayonetta right from the start: I can choose Hard mode from the beginning thank heavens!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Nov 2013 07:03

Well, the Hard mode sure is hard for me. I played just over an hour and I am still at the second encounter with the first boss. By the way, are those heels that Raiden's wearing?

A standout so far is how dynamic the camera is without making things confusing. It pans and twists around all over the place like a madman is holding it and yet it never makes me disoriented. When you add in the constantly thrilling soundtrack, it makes for a unique feeling. This is the real sequel to Devil May Cry for sure. Kamiya tried with Bayonetta -- just see the game's opening segment -- but didn't quite get all the elements right.

I also like how the game hasn't given me any bullshit achievements so far.

I'd love to play more but it's 6:15 AM and I have to try and get some sleep dammit.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby infernovia » 05 Nov 2013 17:23

Yeah, I think the heels are for holding the sword but it makes him look weirdly feminine.

Hard mode is pretty amazing, but it makes the cutscenes look ridiculous. You will see Raiden taking a tremendous beating in cutscenes, yet those same attacks will kill in 2-3 hits when you are controlling him.
infernovia

Unread postby Turnus » 05 Nov 2013 19:44

Pretty much everyone I've shown the game to that's unfamiliar with the Metal Gear games has at first glance mistaken Raiden for a woman. Mostly due to the heels and long hair.

Hard mode is incredible. It took me months to get past the fourth chapter, and there's no telling how long it'll take me to complete the fifth. Since the chapters are so long and hard fought, and the bosses are all so vicious, the end-of-chapter boss fights make up some of the most intensely exciting videogame experiences I've ever seen.

But what really raises the experience over the edge, and hits me hard as hell, is the outstanding soundtrack. I don't know about anyone else, but at the end of the first encounter with the first boss, I was struck to the very core as if by a bolt of lightning. What an incredible experience, and how I wish I could erase my memory of it so as to re-experience it again for the first time. If not for the music playing during that scene, specifically if not for the unexpected and climactic shift in the score, that moment would not have been as powerful as it was.
Turnus

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Nov 2013 20:00

What setup are you using with your console? I wish I had my projector and a real sound system set up, but I am currently just using a 32-inch 768p TV (so yeah, slight upscaling on top of weak sound). I noted the shift in the music at the end of the first boss fight, but it didn't hit me as hard as you.

It was a good fight, but not the best I've seen. And I thought the QTEs would be mixed in with it (as in the boss fight in the demo), but they all came at the very end, so even though they looked cool, they felt a little gimmicky. I hope things improve further down the line. Perhaps it would also help if I learned the control system a bit better, because the fight dragged on for quite a while. Maybe if I get better it'll take less time, and therefore feel more exciting.

The second boss fight is already an improvement though, so I am very hopeful.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Nov 2013 20:03

Turnus wrote:What an incredible experience, and how I wish I could erase my memory of it so as to re-experience it again for the first time.

And there you have the meaning of the Eternal Recurrence. And they say videogames are shallow entertainment...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby El Chaos » 05 Nov 2013 20:48

I learnt how to quickly defeat the first boss during the first fight only after many playthroughs since it's somewhat counterintuitive. A hint: you aren't supposed to escape its close range attacks.

I can't remember the amount of times I had to repeat most of the boss fights, though I do remember I had to attempt the final boss many, MANY times. It is pretty brutal, awesome, amazing and fun, you can totally look forward to it, though my favorite one is chapter 3's.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby Turnus » 06 Nov 2013 02:39

I'm using a rather modest setup for this. Just an old, 24-inch Dell monitor, with the Xbox 360 VGA cable, and a pair of Sennheiser HD 202s. I also have the headphones running through my desktop speakers, significantly boosting the volume, which is of critical importance to me when playing this game.

The parry mechanic is one of my favorite features of the game. To parry an attack, slam the stick in the direction of the opponent and hit the attack button at just the right time. It always feels great doing this, and even just the way the controller physically resists in your hands while parrying is far more sophisticated than anything I've ever seen the Wii remote or other similar device attempt.

For example, when facing off against Jetstream Sam on the first level, I can physically feel every single successful parry. As if I myself was atop that train, trading strike for strike. It's beautiful and violent, and the game is full of many more such great moments.
Turnus

Unread postby Dolt » 14 Nov 2013 23:24

http://aztez.com/blog/2013/05/28/combat ... ar-rising/

Combat Analysis: Metal Gear Rising

I've been waiting to do this one for a while! I played the demo for Metal Gear Rising BEFORE it was on Xbox Live by buying a copy of Zone Of The Enders HD on the 360. That's how BONED UP I was about it. Haha! Sure enough, Platinum Games has once again constructed their own distinct combat experience and then wrapped it up in a typically bananas Metal Gear plotline. But let's talk about this combat already, because it's actually pretty fascinating...for better or for worse.

combatanalysis_mgrWIDE.jpg

Pros:

• Skippable cutscenes! Platinum knows better than to do anything else and it's always appreciated. FYI, I always put this in my combat analyses because NOT being able to skip cutscenes I don't care about disrupts my fun real fast.
  • I actually like the simple premise of the game; a good-guy African politician gets kidnapped by a mercenary group because his successful introduction of peace policies have disrupted the war economy. It's still a Metal Gear game and there's lots of dialogue and plot points, but a solid motivating premise harks back to the first and second age when the entire plot of an action game was a simple, motivating idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU29-0LwOlM

• I don't even have to say it, but Platinum's animations are incredible.
  • Impact effects are delicious! They're not at all "thuddy" and entirely "slicey", which is completely appropriate, but most effects artists don't really know the difference and Platinum should be commended for that.
  • The mash flow is very strange! I gave on trying to figure out exactly what was happening, but it would appear that different attacks can come out of X button or "Light Attack" presses and that there is a very loose formal combo. It's not nearly as random and weird as it is in Lollipop Chainsaw, but it's still a little confusing. Luckily, the individual attacks that emerge from this input are all roughly identical, and it's more about properly switching from Light Attacks on the X button to Heavy Attacks on the Y button, as the main objective of the combat (which I'll talk about next) accommodates this.
  • The main objective of the combat is what makes this game so interesting. The whole idea is to whittle enemies down into low health and then time an entrance into a slow-motion state where you can cut the enemy into countless tiny pieces with your blade. Doing this early means you're only going to disable the enemy in some way, not kill them, and it also means you end up using the precious fuel that powers this slow-motion state. So while you're able to activate this slow motion state whenever you'd like, you don't want to do it all the time. And of course, you're defending yourself during whittling, so this whittling process is dynamic and intense.
  • You have the option of chopping with the regular attack inputs OR using the right analog stick to very precisely aim your slices. I didn't really use the latter a lot but I appreciate the option!
  • ZANDATSU! There's a mechanic in the game where in that slow-motion sword slicing state (provided you have sliced a specific part), you can interrupt/stop the chopping process to grab the hacked up enemy's cyborg spine out of the air and absorb it, refilling your health and slow-motion fuel. There are 4 brilliant things about Zandatsu: 1. the ideal time to do it is after a rabid and highly satisfying instance of chopping an enemy to tiny pieces, 2. grabbing the spine and absorbing it results in a very stylish and super visceral animation of Raiden smashing the spine in his hands and absorbing all this glowing blue liquid and it's so god damn cool I would imitate the motion with my own hand every single time it happened, 3. performing well in combat and whittling multiple enemies down into a low health state means you can engage slow-motion and perform Zandatsu multiple times in a row and this just takes the coolness and multiplies it by how many times you managed to pull it off, and 4. having it refill your fuel means it's an ESSENTIAL part of the combat flow and you are always incentivized to do it. The game is constantly nudging you to perform this massively satisfying combat mechanic whose very existence compels you to repeat it. Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMmP67z4Xbs

• The enemy AI is interesting; none of the bipedal human cyborgs were particularly interesting but fighting the variety of large, animal-like cyborgs was really enjoyable. They're all transforming, speedy, distinct creatures that were fun to tear up in their own weird ways.
  • There are secondary weapons that you can replace your heavy sword attacks with, and they run the gamut from bizarre to simple to powerful. I particularly enjoyed the first one you get, which is a long and far-reaching polearm comprised of tiny robot arms stuck together that also functions like a whip. Leave it to Platinum to come up with ridiculous shit like this. While I found the Sai disappointingly simple, it was HIGHLY functional, so it didn't make it into the cons.
  • Boss fights were MOSTLY enjoyable! As usual, Platinum gives their bosses an abundance of health, so you can't complete these encounters without your wrists hurting. But they didn't make it into the cons because they really were fun and interesting and I saw some things I've never seen before.
    Stealth is something you can do pretty frequently, and while I'm not really a stealth kind of guy, I appreciate the option!
  • There are a bevvy of optional items that I didn't end up using a lot, but still enjoying. They go from simple grenades to EMP's to missile launchers to cardboard sneaking boxes to enemy distraction tools. If I wasn't such a straightforward and simple brute, I would have been using these constantly.

combatanalysis_mgrscreen1WIDE.jpg

Cons:

• The major drawback to this incredibly inventive combat flow from mashing to Zandatsu results in an accelerated homogenization of combat encounters! I realize this is inevitable in a game that can't afford dozens and dozens of enemy types, but over time I found the enemy's individual meanings reduced because of the infinitely repeating loop of mashing to Zandatsu. You have these other mechanics that have interesting effects (initiating air game, knocking enemies onto their feet, staggering enemies, etc.), but you are not incentivized to use ANY of them. This brilliant system begs for your focus and it hurts in the later stages quite a lot.
  • The camera in this game is abysmal. I can't believe how bad the implementation is here. It rarely sometimes randomly tracks enemies/bosses, but most of the time is doing NOTHING. You have to micromanage it during combat encounters and this is completely unacceptable. Since enemies are so inclined to skate off screen and behind you, you are highly likely to be the regular victim of an off-screen attack you could do nothing about, which totally fucks with your combat rank. This is huge and made me want to put the game down a couple times.
  • There are quick time events. :( But instead of pushing the button it tells you to push when it appears, you have to rapidly mash the button it tells you to and I fucking hate mashing like that because over time it hurts my wrist. I realize I've mentioned painful wrists twice now in this analysis (and in previous analyses as well), and I realize this is an "old person problem". But old people still play action games and mechanics or features that result in joint pain need to be abandoned or optional.
  • Stopping the action to jam some narrated plot down my earholes is ALMOST as frustrating as unskippable cutscenes. I realize it's authentically Metal Gear but it doesn't change the affect it has on your excited state. LUCKILY, you can fast forward through individual sentences, but they're still there and they're still frequent.
  • There is only one very useful defense mechanic which is awesome! But it's a hardcore, early DMC style mechanic where you have to tilt the analog stick in the direction of the incoming attack and press the light attack button. It looks and feels awesome and is very elegant, but it's in the cons because this is a really difficult implementation. It goes from being just about timing to being about timing and analog stick accuracy. Because of the highly mobile nature of the enemies in the game, I was very frequently punished despite having completely ample timing.
  • I'll give you one guess as to whether or not this game made me unlock mechanics or not.
  • The last boss fight was one of the most infuriating boss fights I've ever experienced in a game. I spent roughly an hour trying to figure out how to prevent itself from healing, which was preventing me from making any real progress and costing me a lot of time. I eventually had to look up the solution online (which makes me VERY unhappy) because there was no analog in the game leading up to this point for the special trick required here. I don't know why the fuck this happens! Beat 'em ups should not be about figuring things out, they should be about successfully applying skills and shit like this makes me want to throw my controller through a window.

combatanalysis_mgrscreen2WIDE.jpg

Synopsis:

Metal Gear Rising, in addition to being an entirely unique and solid combat experience, is now the go-to reference point for games that successfully imbed enjoyable systems into their combat, turning the combat itself into a game. There is absolutely no reason to not do this for any reasonably technical combat experience, and I don't know why it isn't done more. But it's a triumph here. I had a fucking BLAST chopping off limbs, managing fuel, engaging in slow-motion slicing, and compulsively performing Zandatsu. It's a huge step up from Bayonetta's amazing scoring system that turned the combat into its own game, but because it wasn't required, it is put on the backburner in the heat of the moment. A good technical combat experience is all about putting a lot on your plate and having you skillfully manage this pile. MGR reinforces this beautifully. Check it out ASAP and explore it!
Dolt

Unread postby Heell » 19 Dec 2013 17:34

The PC version will be released on January 9.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/12/19/metal-g ... ins-today/

In an email to VG247 today, publisher Konami confirmed that the Platinum Games title will be available for pre-load today, December 19. Interestingly, the press release says that this is also the first day of the Steam Holiday Sale, which is news to us.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will cost £19.99 and comes with free Blade Wolf and Jetstream Sam DLC. It will be 33% off for the first 48 hours, then 20% off until launch day. Pre-load will be available from January 3, then will launch on Thursday, January 9.
Heell

Unread postby El Chaos » 04 Jan 2014 01:02

http://store.steampowered.com/app/235460/

Developed by Kojima Productions and PlatinumGames, METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE takes the renowned METAL GEAR franchise into exciting new territory with an all-new action experience. The game seamlessly melds pure action and epic story-telling that surrounds Raiden – a child soldier transformed into a half-human, half-cyborg ninja who uses his High Frequency katana blade to cut through any thing that stands in his vengeful path!

A huge success on both Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3, METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE comes to PC with all the famed moves and action running within a beautifully-realised HD environment.

This new PC version includes all three DLC missions: Blade Wolf, Jetstream, and VR Missions, in addition to all customized body upgrades for Raiden, including: White Armor, Inferno Armor, Commando Armor, Raiden’s MGS4 body, and the ever-popular Cyborg Ninja.

"CUTSCENES" option added to the Main Menu. Play any and all cutscenes.

"CODECS" option added to the Main Menu. Play all and any codec conversation scenes.

Menu option added to the CHAPTER Menu enabling user to play only the Boss battles.

"GRAPHIC OPTIONS" added to the OPTIONS Menu. Modify resolution, anti-aliasing, etc.
There is an option reading "ZANGEKI" that will modify the amount of cuts you can make.

System requirements:

Minimum:
Processor: Intel Core i5 2400
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GTS 450
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 25 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX compatible sound card

Recommended:
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GTX 650
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 25 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX compatible sound card
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby El Chaos » 17 Jan 2014 17:24

PC Tech Comparison: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, The Platinum edition: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... ngeance-pc

Thomas Morgan wrote:Technical improvements for the PC port are threadbare - increased resolution, better shadows and support for up to 8x MSAA.

The key advantage of the Revengeance PC port is the ability to run at 1080p - but curiously, higher resolutions appear to be off the table.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Apr 2017 17:05

Review: http://culture.vg/reviews/in-depth/meta ... 3-ps3.html

And infern's review on Steam (I particularly applaud the Bayonetta comments): http://steamcommunity.com/id/marredcarc ... ed/235460/

infernovia wrote:This is my favorite brawler from the 360/PS3 generation, and it's one of the best games Platinum has made. Period.

Platinum is known for satisfying and stylish combat, crazy bosses, and balls to the walls concepts. Everyone agrees that their brawlers are the best in the business. But to me, they were still held back, not quite there. Their magnum opus brawler, Bayonetta, was filled with large, empty, and uninteresting levels. It lacked control in terms of immersion (IE, the plot, the setting, the world) and let the gimmicks run wild. Too much filler.

But MGR is different, a fantastic display of Platinum's talents reigned in and controlled. Bayonetta gives you a whole 10min stage devoted to riding a rocket into the city, completely useless padding and a way for the developer to pay homage to Space Harrier. But MGR is much more controlled, and much more demanding with these "gimmicks." They feel spectacular, cool for the moment, yet easily discarded for that next set piece, that next spectacle... as if all that unique assets, programming, was no big deal. The fights jump from set piece to set piece, but in a way that seemed organic and entirely fit the battle that you were already dealing with. Not seamless, (ie, Shadow of the Colossus), but close enough that I could ignore the stitching.

The camera is closer to Raiden when compared to Bayonetta, especially in combat. Not the easiest thing in the world when you are sliding, flipping, and slicing spines in half with enemies and protagonists that are as mobile as the ones in here. But somehow, it never felt bad enough for me to throw my controller into the wall. Perhaps it was a necessity for the Zandatsu mode, a mode that lets you cut anything as if you were wielding a [s]sword lightsaber[s] high frequency blade, but I am glad they were pushing for this "zoomed in" combat. You felt more connected to the character. The cuts feel more visceral, the antagonists more awesome. One of the bosses flips you and the camera flips upside down with Raiden. Cool.

The closer the connection, the more demanding the illusion. And this is where the magic starts to break down. The cuts with "Zandatsu mode" never feel gory enough, and the "cutscenes" oftentimes broke the magic of the fight. I played hard mode from the get go and taking a punch was like getting hammered into your skull. But in the cutscene, I see Raiden getting pummeled and coming back as if barely anything happened. It's a jarring disconnect when you see that happen. Perhaps it gels better when it’s in normal mode… but I love the game too much in hard…

And yet, if you can look past these faults, this is genuinely one of the best brawlers of the last generation. It has a great track integrated well into the game. Fights so spectacular that you wish you could relive it over and over again. And antagonists that were properly unique, cool, and memorable. Just the right amount of discussion of self, identity, nationhood, morality for a game branded with the Metal Gear name. Very little stealth element, but let’s be honest, that could have never happened under Platinum’s development.

This is where I felt Platinum was headed. A great honing of their craft to really push the boundaries and the limits of third person brawlers. But taking a quick look at their body of work now... well, I hope they can keep the lights on for long enough for another great gamble. I will be waiting.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Previous

Return to Games