Games

[PS3] [360] [PC] [PS4] [ONE] Dark Souls II

Moderator: JC Denton

[PS3] [360] [PC] [PS4] [ONE] Dark Souls II

Unread postby El Chaos » 08 Dec 2012 07:38

El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby El Chaos » 08 Dec 2012 22:29

Dark Souls 2 'more approachable' - Series creator steps aside: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/38 ... eps-aside/

Andy Robinson wrote:Dark Souls 2 will be "more straightforward and more understandable" than its predecessor, as a pair of new directors take over the series.

That's according to the latest issue of Edge - on sale December 20 - which reveals the just-announced sequel will be the first in the Souls series not to be helmed by creator from Hidetaka Miyazaki. Instead newcomers Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura will take the reins, with Miyazaki supervising.

"Their descriptions of how they intend to mould Dark Souls II into a more approachable form seem reasonable," Edge writes on its website. "But Shibuya admits that their approach will be influenced by their individual characters."

It adds: "We sympathise if that sort of statement concerns you, but at the same time, we can surely agree that we would all like to see Dark Souls attain as great a presence as The Elder Scrolls. How it gets there is a worthy matter for debate, but it's certainly a noble task."

Shibuya himself told Edge that he sees himself as the sort of person "who likes to be more direct than subtle" and as a consequence Dark Souls 2 will be "more straightforward and more understandable."

Dark Souls 2 is in development for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC.

Despite the co-director's comments on accessibility, Namco Bandai's PR promises "the kind of unrelenting challenges that have become a hallmark of the series, while presenting devilish new obstacles for players to overcome."

The sequel will feature a revamped server based multiplayer experience "that will put a distinct Dark Souls II twist on the concept of playing and sharing with others," it says.

Shibuya says in the press release: "This new chapter in the Dark Souls saga presents opportunities for us to drive innovation in gameplay design, develop an entirely new story, and expand the scope of the world in which the player interacts with the game. We have taken these necessary steps with Dark Souls II in order to evolve the overall experience of the Dark Souls series."

The entire development team is striving to make Dark Souls II an experience that is fresh while not forsaking its roots in presenting players with challenging gameplay. Our goal is to surprise and delight our fans with new experiences and plot twists while enticing new players to join our dark journey."
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby El Chaos » 12 Dec 2012 23:36

El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Dec 2012 00:24

http://blog.danbo.vg/post/37484688201/t ... rk-souls-a

danbo-vg wrote:This can't be how it happened.

Dark Souls. A lonely, challenging, subtle game. Something that took pride in obscurity, in inaccessibility. A game offering a warm bonfire to the strong and the business end of a dragonslayer arrow to the weak. A game for the elitists, the people all but stomped out of the gaming audience by an ever-increasing, all consuming blob of lukewarm mass-market garbage. Dark Souls lifted me out of a pretty grim couple of months, and it gives me no shame to say that this unmodifiable fundamentally single-player game, this artificially difficult trial-and-error 30fps locked elitist shambles, has claimed about 300 of my hours on this planet. The promise of a sequel should brighten my day.

But here's Jessica fucking Alba presenting it at the Spike VGAs, one of the worst things on the planet people gather for since witch hunts, to a hollering crowd. A blonde, innuendo-laden prefix conjured by some PR idiot to a slick trailer. A beautiful trailer. Excellently directed, perfect use of CGI, polished. Those mask guys look interesting. I like the protag's armour, oooh it looks a little bit like Gwyn's! Not a trace of the clumsy gameplay footage and awkwardly typeset quotes from previous Souls trailers. It's beautiful. And so fucking ugly it makes me sick.

Souls fans are used to piecing things together, of sharing ideas and discoveries around their bonfires. An all-out, all singing and all dancing minute or so of CGI is not how Dark Souls 2 should have come into perception. Just a picture would have been enough. A battered helmet trampled into the mud. A shattered sword. An arrow-filled knight falling to his knees, pictured from the waist down. The words "you died" on half a piece of bogroll would have excited me more than this. There is no mystery here, no subtlety. Just the phrase Dark Souls with a 2 appended and some appropriately dark designs.

Miyazaki, a man of subtlety, a man who knows the value of secrecy and denial. Out on his arse, elevated to a supervisor position where he can safely do fuck all. The new directors have in one sentence sent more of a chill down my spine than any of Lordran's bestiary could ever hope to do. [Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable. The kind of statement that kindles excitement in the people who talk about their dick and the hardness thereof in the comments of reveal trailers, the kind of people who would remove Anor Londo's archers if they could, the kind of people who played Dark Souls for a few weeks, bitched about how obscure it is to get to Oolacile, and then got stuck into whatever release was around the corner. Dark Souls is getting more straightforward, more understandable.

And why not?, Edge asks. Why shouldn’t FromSoftware and Namco Bandai open Souls up to a wider audience when it could otherwise be in danger of becoming stuck in a cult cul-de-sac? Not content with sounding just a little bit stupid, they go on to proclaim that "we can surely agree that we would all like to see Dark Souls attain as great a presence as The Elder Scrolls". That's not a dev quote, but it takes a strong man to not give into that sort of trite garbage coming out of the mouths of journalists and players. And that strong man is safely out of the way.

Dark Souls 2 will prove to us that the original game was a fluke, the sort of game we're not allowed to have. It will be played for a little bit, mulled over, promptly put down. It's good that they actually tell you about stuff this time. It's good that there's no more silly archers or pendants. It was so good that I put it in my Steam favourites list right next to Borderlands 3. A game everyone can like and no-one can love.

The trailer starts. You are the undead. Forever without hope. Not a message to the protagonist, not a nice little quote to stick in the mind. A taunt to all the people who will be disappointed on release that yet another beautiful thing is ruined.

A few days later he posted the following on his Twitter, which may or may not be related to the above:

https://twitter.com/__danbo/status/279555151621156864

danbo wrote:looked into the mirror today and saw icycalm staring back at me.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Dec 2012 09:18

Interview with producer and director: http://www.4gamer.net/games/196/G019660/20121222001/

And translation of said interview: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505206
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Jan 2013 10:12

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/t ... try8999325

RubberJohnny wrote:If I was being really snobbish, I'd point out that Dark Souls and Demon Souls were already mass-appeal watering downs spiritual sequels of Froms' previous Kings Field series, and judging by the number of people on here like Vemsie who thought that it was some completely new genre invented out of whole cloth, and not merely roguelike that aimed for a wider market by adding in combat that's more action and reflexes based I'd say most of the people following the series on this forum are a part of this "expanded audience" who only encountered the genre when it overlapped with the narrowness and conservatism of their tastes.

And then I'd point out that all 3D roguelikes are horribly watered down compared to the ASCII ones, you're all the people who the casuals think are casuals, moaning about more casuals. Look upon my smug expression and despair.

If you ignore that he doesn't seem to know what a roguelike is, the rest sounds about right to me.

Also, some clarification about that article from the icycalm fan I posted earlier: I don't actually agree with it; it is the usual overdramatic hyperbole of pseudo-hardcores, and on scant evidence no less. Even if DS2 ends up sucking, how will that mean that "yet another beautiful thing [will be] ruined"? The previous games will still exist! etc.

Basically, a good 90% of the Souls series fans appear to be pseudo-hardcores.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Tain » 10 Apr 2013 20:05

Screenshots, thought to be of the PS3 version: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=53411904

h1gqFNk.jpg

iD52WeM.jpg

uaXzWsW.jpg

YA0cWbE.jpg
Tain

Unread postby shubn » 10 Apr 2013 21:10

shubn

Unread postby ksevcov » 12 Apr 2013 05:58

ksevcov

Unread postby ksevcov » 12 Apr 2013 06:35

Interview with the director:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/11/da ... me-easier/

Perhaps the biggest concern among fans of the first game is if the second one will be easier. Were there any thoughts about doing this, to make it accessible?

Yui Tanimura, Director: I personally like difficult games myself, so if I had the opportunity to make a bold difference, it would have been to make the game even more difficult. But obviously this is a sequel to a series, so I have no intentions of turning the tables 180 degrees. So no, there is no intent by myself to make the game easier at all.

I plan to add onto the perfection that was Dark Souls and try to carry on the core essence. Which is the satisfaction of overcoming these incredibly tough challenges, but to also enjoy the deaths, to enjoy the hard times. That’s something I want to maintain.

What’s the process like, of creating difficult enemies to fight? How do you make sure that you haven’t gone too far?

That’s a tricky question to answer. It’s easy to kill players. It’s also easy to frustrate them. Which is why, it’s important for players to anticipate death, to understand why it happened, and to create a strategy. To overcome and defeat death, that is the core of Dark Souls.

As for the process itself, we never go “We need an enemy; let’s put one here.” Instead, we try to think about what kind of enemy will evoke a certain type of emotion that we want to communicate at that point, whether it be fright or elation. Our primary focus is on the emotional aspect that we want to be portrayed.

Was there any feedback from the first game that you or others involved found surprising?

Nothing comes to mind immediately. The reason is, as a game creator, when you’re trying to really understand the game you’re trying to make, you’re always going through the negative aspects that can be fixed up. So nothing was a shocker.

Well, on that note, what areas of the game does the sequel improve upon? Not due to player feedback but what you personal felt needed to be adjusted or completely changed?

Often, any sequel of any game has a brand new feature or element that has nothing to do with the original’s core essence, and that’s something we wanted to stay away from.

With that in mind, I believe Dark Souls is a complete game, so while creating a sequel, my first task was to take away the bumps and scratches in the game design. To streamline you could say, a lot of the elements that I thought were unnecessary, but maintain the fundamentals of what Dark Souls is.

So before I even though about adding new features, or new elements, I wanted to refine the Dark Souls experience.

Care to elaborate what you mean by streamlining?

Getting rid of tediousness such as backtracking. Basically anything that gets in the way.

Were there any challenges, filling the shoes of Miyazaki?

In the earlier stages, he was there to help make critical decisions, like the use of the game server this time for example. But he’s also a game creator himself, so he respects my ability and Shibuya-san’s to be directors, so he doesn’t try to step on our toes too much. He’s there to provide advice, to allow me to direct the game that I need to direct.

All day today, Namco Bandai has been showing off games that are easily identified as being Japanese. Many have very anime-like flourishes. Whereas Dark Souls feels very different, almost un-Japanese to a certain extent. Was this on purpose? And who exactly is the audience of Dark Souls to being with?

It certainly wasn’t a conscious decision. The first step was to create a traditional fantasy game… we always had in mind who our publisher is. And they are good at creating the traditional types of games you speak of, and we certainly have no desire to compete with them.

We also certainly didn’t set to design a game that fits the Western audience. The fact that they have accepted the game has been great. We did not expect such a strong response from those ends. But ultimately, who we target is the people around us, which is Japan. And to simply strive to create this old, traditional fantasy world that many are very much interested in.

Can you speak more about the character you play in Dark Souls II?

The underlying setting is that you’re afflicted, and that you’re on a journey to free yourself from this curse. Dark Souls is unique in the way that we want players to truly recreate themselves in the game, to deep dive into who your character actually is, and behave in the same way that you would in real life, if one were to encounter such challenges.

We haven’t really created any drama; we don’t have a story to tell. Instead we try to give the underlying setting and that’s it. We want players to role-play and create their own story. You don’t have to go to the last boss. It’s more what you want the story to become, by giving players the options to adjust the high level settings that we provide.
ksevcov

Unread postby Evo » 20 Apr 2013 07:59

An interview with the game's director Yui Tanimura, on French website GameKult.

http://www.gamekult.com/actu/zoom-dark-souls-ii-A108297.html

A Google Translate of the first question and answer suggests that the PC version will be developed on PC rather than being a port.
Evo

Unread postby icycalm » 20 Apr 2013 14:28

All PC versions are "developed on PC", in fact even the console versions are. There has to be a better way to put it than that.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ksevcov » 03 Jun 2013 04:52

http://gematsu.com/2013/06/dark-souls-i ... march-2014

DS2-March-2014.jpg

Dark Souls II, Namco Bandai and From Software’s anticipated sequel to 2011′s Dark Souls, will launch for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC in March 2014, an advert outside the Los Angeles Convention Center—the site of this month’s E3—confirms.
ksevcov

Unread postby El Chaos » 10 Jun 2013 20:17

El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby ksevcov » 18 Jun 2013 05:38

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/17/da ... -the-game/

Can you please explain what has changed since you last showed Dark Souls II back in April?

Yui Tanimura, Director: I guess it’s only been two months since New York, so there hasn't been that drastic of a change. But what we've concentrated on is the battle system and the actual battle mechanics, plus the tuning for them. Also, the last time we weren't about to have hands on, but now, you guys can play it, feel the actual game.

One aspect that the E3 demo emphasizes is the dual wielding system. Can you please explain a bit more about that?

In Dark Souls, you were able to hold a weapon in each hand, but you were simply holding a weapon in each hand. For Dark Souls II, we’ve actually implemented dual-wielding specific motions, animations. So if you switched to dual welding mode, you'd be able to do certain combos and moves that involve fluid motions with both hands.

Obviously, dual-wielding involves doing away with your shield and not being able to guard yourself. At the same time, it will increase your attack abilities. So it’s more of an advanced fighting style used, instead of just having double the offense. Once you get used to it, it might be a preferred method of play.

I also understand that enemy AI has been enhanced.

We strived hard to make sure that enemies are fully aware of the player’s actions. For the most part, and this is for the majority of action games, while engaging a boss, it is often common to simply replenish energy on the spot, even in the midst of a confrontation. The player would simply identify the right moment in which the boss is not an immediate threat, sometimes due to following a predetermined animation or AI behavior.

In Dark Souls II, bosses are always aware of the player, always keeping an eye. So if he or she thinks the boss has eased up a bit for whatever reason and tries to heal himself, the boss will use that opportunity to charge forward. Enemies will also be able to identify and anticipate a player’s behavior. If the player prepares to unleash to a devastating attack, the boss will recognize this and step back and prepare himself, just like human players do when the roles are reversed.

At the beginning of the presentation for members of the press, we were reminded that there has been misunderstanding, that Dark Souls II will not be easier. Are you seeing, despite all the constant reassurances to the contrary, that people still believe it will not be as grueling and unforgiving as Dark Souls?

Coming from Japan, it’s hard to fully comprehend why and how much the North American and European audience keeps thinking it’s going to be easier. With that being said, if you take a look at the demo, and also played the demo, it’s going to be pretty clear that the difficulty will be just as high as necessary as before.

We have been constantly repeating this, because we did start off with a misleading comment earlier on. But at the same time, I’m not too worried about expressing the difficulty of the game. I’m sure players will see the footage, see the B-roll, and start to understand that it’s going to be just as challenging or even more so.

Again, it’s only been a little while since I last saw Dark Souls II. But during this short time, similar games have arrived on the market, or are on the horizon, which all share the same tone. And interest in darker, more mature form of fantasy is at all time high. You also have the popularity of Game of Thrones. Do you think Dark Souls has been a contributing factor in the rise in popularity of this bleaker variant of fantasy? Also, it had any impact on Dark Souls II development?

In terms of game creation, From Software doesn’t like to be very affected by what happens in other games or other types of media. Even before Dark Souls, the company had been really concentrating on creating the genuine game that From Software strives towards. So, from our perspective, we will continue to craft games that we think best fits the core audience, who crave a rich and engrossing gameplay experience.

Now, in terms of the current level of popularity of dark fantasy you mentioned, we believe it’s a good thing. And hopefully it will work in our favor as well. As much as the market for this genre gets saturated, we From Software have put a lot of effort into delivering a game that provides the satisfaction of overcoming incredible difficulties, one that will stand on its own.

We are currently at the end of the very start of the next generation of gaming. Yet Dark Souls II is the reason why many have stated that they will be sticking with the current generation of hardware. At the same time, I would imagine players have asked about the possibility of Dark Souls II appearing on the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, or the possibility of a Dark Souls III. I know it’s too soon to state definite plans, but is there any inkling in the back of your mind, regarding the future?

Realistically speaking, eventually there will be some kind of development on next gen. So there will probably be Dark Souls III. But at this point, for Dark Souls II, there is not intent for any ports. It’s specifically for the current generation.

And like you said, as much as the next gen has been announced, the fan base is probably the biggest on PS3 and Xbox 360, obviously since they have been around for such a long time. And we obviously want as many people to try out Dark Souls as possible. For Dark Souls II, we are fully confident that we will deliver something that will last for the long-term, and to the best of its potential.
ksevcov

Unread postby Fudge » 25 Jun 2013 18:30

Four "new" trailers have been released, showing each of the four classes in action. The footage was part of a live demo during E3 but these trailers preserve the original sound effects and are of much higher quality.

Warrior:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtmY86i0ZH8

Sorcerer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu9vgT13MV8

Temple Knight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDBt00Z9iIg

Dual Swordsman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKZfVnaooqc
Fudge

Unread postby Heell » 04 Jul 2013 11:54

http://www.vg247.com/2013/07/04/dark-so ... w-famitsu/

Dark Souls 2 pyromancy, guard break & miracles explained in new Famitsu

Dark Souls 2 has been given the preview treatment in this week’s new edition of Famitsu. The game’s combat was a key focus of the piece, in which pyromancy, guard breaking mechanics and miracles were discussed, among other things.

The article translation comes courtesy of these Redditors.

The guard break move is similar to the riposte in Dark Souls, but is used after breaking through an enemies block like a follow-up move. Players can also click L3 while running to jump, rather than double tapping the run button like in Dark Souls.

While aiming with a bow, you can fire two arrow types without having to go back into your inventory to change your ammo. You can fire the first arrow type with R1, and R2 for the second type.

The Soul Arrow spell will return, along with Soul Spear, which makes magic cascade from the sky to damage enemies. There’s also a magic greatsword, a fire whip pyromancy spell and a new fireball magic typ that harms both enemies and the caster.

There’s also a new Replenishment miracle that increased both your attack and defence, a lightning spear spell and a Dark Orb item that syphons stamina from enemies.

Finally, you must use Life Gems to restore your heroes health, edible grass that restores your number of magic uses, magic bombs and Estus Flasks are back in some form.

Here is the original article: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201306/25035551.html
Heell

Unread postby Evo » 06 Sep 2013 20:06

Namco Bandai has opened sign-ups for the Dark Souls II beta on PlayStation 3.

The first beta round will be open to PlayStation 3 owners in North America, Europe and Australasia on October 12, with a second one following on October 27.

Anyone wishing to take part can either register their interest on the PlayStation Network Website, or log in to the store on their console and download the Dark Souls II Beta Registration Ticket that can be found in the 'Games' section under the 'Latest Releases' tab.

Beta testers will be selected out of those who download the registration ticket, so you don't need to worry about being fastest off the mark to secure your place.

It appears the test has been delayed slightly; a couple of weeks ago we were told it would kick off on October 5, but it seems the team want an extra week to prepare the horrors that await us.

Dark Souls II is due to release on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC on March 14, 2014. We've received no word as yet about similar tests taking place on Xbox 360 and PC.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/09/05/dark-souls-ii-beta-sign-ups-now-open-on-playstation-3
Evo

Unread postby shubn » 19 Sep 2013 11:39

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/09/dar ... in-na.html

Dark Souls II Coming March 11 in NA & March 14 in Europe

Aching Bones Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBuiec2AFXA

DaS2-01.jpg

DaS2-02.jpg

DaS2-03.jpg

DaS2-04.jpg

DaS2-05.jpg

DaS2-06.jpg

DaS2-07.jpg

DaS2-08.jpg

DaS2-09.jpg

DaS2-10.jpg

DaS2-11.jpg

DaS2-12.jpg

DaS2-13.jpg

DaS2-14.jpg

DaS2-15.jpg

DaS2-16.jpg
shubn

Unread postby El Chaos » 22 Sep 2013 15:36

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/tgs-dyi ... k-souls-ii

Jeremy Parish wrote:Un-life as the undead sucks in Dark Souls II. For starters, it makes you ugly. The longer you play in an undead state, the more your character's appearance degenerates. Bad enough that your skin turns green and your face becomes ugly; over time, though, your hair falls out -- and according to director Yui Taimura, even worse things than that can happen as well. One of those things is that, if you re-die repeatedly in an undead state, your character's maximum health will steadily degrade. "You thought that griffin was slaughtering you quickly while you were at full health," From is sneering. "Try it with half as many hit points, sucker."

Also -- and this news freaked out some of the Dark Souls fanatics in attendance at our Tokyo Game Show demo session yesterday -- undead games can now be invaded by other players. So it's just as disadvantageous as playing the normal style adventure, except now you'll potentially have less health. Have fun!

Really, though, Taimura says these design choices are simply an attempt to balance the playing field and ensure both styles of gameplay are equally challenging. "Generally speaking, we people prefer being living, not undead," he told us in a roundtable interview. "We want to make the goal -- to become the living -- clear. But we have no intention of simply making game more difficult while being undead."

Among the changes to the undead state comes a new benefit: Undead players can summon friends to help pass difficult areas using an item called White Sign Soapstone. Summons now are limited by time, with smaller pieces of soapstone resulting in briefer duration for aid.

Another major chance helps make things easier for living characters whose world is being invaded by hostile players: By forming a pact through a covenant, players can summon help immediately upon being invaded. Alternately, high-level characters can use their pact to make themselves available to protect other members of their covenant who come under attack. This should help mitigate the danger caused by abusive players with an eye for griefing.

Even more helpfully, Dark Souls II now uses server-based matching rather than running its connections from the player's end. This should offer a few benefits, including creating a much larger pool of potential players to summon or collaborate with through a covenant. Taimura says it also should help diminish the disruptive exploits caused by hackers. "Yes," he stated, "we are aware that cheating is going on -- not only on PC but also on consoles -- and that is why we have decided to move to server-side multiplayer."
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby Some guy » 01 Oct 2013 14:00

Some guy

Unread postby movie » 15 Nov 2013 00:43

movie

Unread postby panegyrist » 15 Jan 2014 05:03

panegyrist

Unread postby shubn » 25 Jan 2014 11:51

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2014/01/dar ... lated.html

Dark Souls II Japanese Site Translated

dark-souls-ii-jp-website-01.jpg