PlanetSide 2 (2012)

Games

PC|PS4 PlanetSide 2

Moderator: JC Denton

PC|PS4 PlanetSide 2

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Sep 2014 17:14

http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6528969/

I wrote:The undisputed king of the multiplayer FPS hill, and the most immersive war simulator and third best videogame ever.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Sep 2014 15:54

I am reading articles and forum posts on the differences between PlanetSide 2 and 1 because I want to write a review and I am guessing I won't be able to avoid playing the original to do it. And sure enough, there is a large brigade of vocal players who shit on 2 and prefer 1, exactly as with Planetary Annihilation vs. Supreme Commander. The amusing thing is that the reasons are essentially the same, as are the reasons (which no one seems to be pointing out, or pointing out often and convincingly enough) why the old-timer brigades are wrong. The old-timer brigades are saying that the newer games are worse because they are dumbed down, but I am saying:

For PA vs. SupCom: But look, PLANETS!

For PS2 vs. PS1: But look, ARMIES!

We are going to have to jump into PS1 at some point, if only for just a weekend, because I want to write the review as soon as possible. I am already ready to write it, and just want to check out the game real quick to be 100% sure I am not going to commit any huge blunder. I believe however that all the arguments I will need are already in my mind.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Sep 2014 06:26

From my notebook:

I wrote:The beauty of the massively multiplayer, and the persistent. In PA you have to hunt for the clans outside the game. You have to practically beg them to play against you. In PS you hunt them INSIDE the game, and, once you find them, they have no choice but to defend themselves against you.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 05 Jun 2015 04:59

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2015/06/pla ... ne-23.html

Hey everyone. After months of intense Beta testing, I’m excited to announce that PlanetSide 2 will be launching on PS4 June 23rd in North America!

For those of you unfamiliar with the game, you’re in for a wild ride! PlanetSide 2 is a revolutionary, massive scale, first-person shooter where soldiers battle as one in strategic, targeted missions against enemy Empires in an all-out planetary war. Massive communities with unwavering camaraderie band together in PlanetSide 2 as the game challenges the skill and grit of the most seasoned soldier through intense infantry, air, and ground vehicle gameplay. Victory requires teamwork and a quick trigger finger to survive the enormous battles.

To give you an idea of just how massive our battles really are in PlanetSide 2, we recently set a Guinness World Record for the Most Players Online in a Single FPS Battle, with 1,158 players in a single fight! The game is synonymous with large-scale warfare and it’s truly an experience you have to see to believe. Plus, as a free-to-play game, all players can jump into the game’s massive battles for free — no PlayStation Plus Membership required.

We’ve put a lot of effort into streamlining and improving the feature set so that PS4 players will have the ultimate massive-scale, FPS gaming experience. We’ve also incorporated some unique features that are currently exclusive to the PS4 version, which for example, include the new battle map, Koltyr. We will continue to further improve and enhance the gameplay experience after launch as well. In the weeks and months following the release on June 23rd, players can look forward to frequent game updates, which will include deeper features, holiday events and content, new in-game marketplace items, and much, much more.

On behalf of the PlanetSide 2 development team, we’d like to thank the tens of thousands of players that have taken part in the Closed Beta testing. Because of you, we’ve been able to make a ton of refinements to the game that otherwise wouldn’t have been possible without your valuable feedback.

We’re excited to finally bring the game to PS4 so the console gaming community can experience what truly massive warfare is all about!

We’ll see you on Auraxis!
earthboundtrev

Unread postby Some guy » 24 Nov 2015 16:55

Planetside 2: Build Your Own Forts
http://www.greenlightgames.co.uk/planet ... own-forts/

planetside-2-keyart-final-9-3-14-730x411.jpg

Spencer Havens wrote:Planetside 2 recently had a big reveal on their Twitch Planetside 2 Third Anniversary Livestream. Daybreak Game Company unveiled that they will be implementing base building into the game. This is a feature that many fans have been constantly requesting.

In order to build a base in Planetside 2, players will have to first gather the necessary resources to begin construction. The bases can not only be constructed, but they can be destroyed by other players in the game. Don’t think you’re helpless against their onslaught, because players can defend their bases with the help of AI controlled turrets they can build and place. These turrets have a short range, until your base comes under attack. That way dogfighting aircraft will not come under fire from the base, unless it is also attacked. This way players can not exploit their base and its placement to draw enemies over it and make their fight easier.

Along with base building and turrets in Planetside 2 there are a few other features being updated. There is a major Indar revamp that will have terrain reforms and some big bases getting fixed. The resource collection system is being upgraded along with how it ties into base building. Leadership changes including removing waypoints, fire squads, and generally making it more user friendly. They are also adding a new continent capture system that uses “victory points.”

These features don’t have a solid date for when the developers will get them into Planetside 2, but they will be out some time in 2016 for PC. No word on when they may become available for PS4 though. In fact, there isn’t even confirmation that these features will be coming to the PS4 version at all. So, what do you think about Planetside 2 getting a base building feature? Or maybe you’re more excited to see them working on the Indar map problem?

Link to Twitch Livestream
Some guy

Re: PC|PS4 PlanetSide 2

Unread postby icycalm » 24 May 2023 05:14

Fortification Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttAqErWaJ4Y

PlanetSide 2 wrote:Fortification is here! The new construction overhaul brings new structures, construction mechanics and more!

Just dropped last week. A decade ago I would have been crazy about it, but there's no reason to play PlanetSide when Rust exists.

I also doubt you have to cut down trees or smelt ores. You probably buy everything with credits. Which is also how Star Citizen's base-building will work, I am sure—at least in the beginning (because the farming they've said they'll put in might evolve into wood-cutting, etc.)—but in Star Citizen there are a ton of ways to earn the credits, each of which is a different profession, whereas in PS2 I am sure it'll be some lame gamey way like holding a base or something. They're trying to put 2015 mechanics in a 2012 game in 2023. It won't work well, by modern standards, they need a whole new game.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games