default header

Games

Kojima Productions

Moderator: JC Denton

Kojima Productions

Unread postby El Chaos » 21 Mar 2015 17:40

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/kojima ... 0-6426024/

Peter Brown and Rob Crossley wrote:Kojima Expected to Leave Konami After MGS5, Inside Source Confirms

Key devs could leave before 2016; Senior staff become contractors; Communications block in effect.

A fallout between Kojima Productions and its publisher, Konami, has led to senior staff at the studio given restricted access to corporate internet, emails, and phone calls, GameSpot understands.

Along with the restricted communications, key developers at the studio, such as Hideo Kojima, will now have limited opportunities to lend their appearance to promotions of the studio’s upcoming game, Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain.

Power struggles between Kojima Productions and Konami have convinced the publisher to make drastic changes, including amending the employee status of its Metal Gear team. Some senior staff at the studio, including Kojima, now essentially work as contractors, not permanent employees.

The extraordinary measures were revealed by a source within Konami, speaking to GameSpot on the condition of anonymity. The person explained that, once the Phantom Pain project is finished, in all likelihood the management at the studio will disband.

"After we finish MGSV, Mr. Kojima and upper management will leave Konami. They said their contract ends in December," the source claimed.

The person added: "At a team meeting, Mr Kojima explained that team have to be one and make a good game for fans."

Kojima, now 51, joined Konami in 1986. His departure from the company will bring an end to nearly three decades of service.

In other developments, Konami has begun erasing the Kojima Productions logo from all official Metal Gear art, and it has demoted Kojima off its executive team. Meanwhile, Kojima Productions’ branding has also been removed from Twitter, the official Metal Gear website, and even the LA office listing.

Representatives for Konami would not discuss specifics of the matter when contacted by GameSpot. The corporation has offered a statement, however.

It reads: "Konami Digital Entertainment, including Mr. Kojima, will continue to develop and support Metal Gear products. Please look forward to future announcements."

The corporation's central public relations team, based in Tokyo, is unavailable at the time of going to press, due to it being past midnight local time.

Metal Gear Solid 5, Kojima’s latest iteration in the famed series, ships in September on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PC.

An expanded statement from Konami follows: "As we have already announced, we are shifting our production structure to a headquarters-controlled system, in order to establish a steadfast operating base capable of responding to the rapid market changes that surround our digital entertainment business. Konami Digital Entertainment (including Mr. Kojima), will continue to develop and support Metal Gear products. Please look forward to future announcements."

Konami wants new staff for next Metal Gear game, confirms that they're going to carry on with Metal Gear without Kojima, and the hunt is on for a new lead dev:
http://www.gamespot.com/videos/gs-news- ... 0-6424013/
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby Amor fati » 27 Apr 2015 19:54

Kojima vs. Konami: An Investigation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMK-kajdgMA

Super Bunnyhop wrote:A month ago, it was revealed that Kojima likely won't stay at Konami after the end of the year. Here is a summary of what we know so far, plus what I've found out.

Here are transcripts from the source. Note that I've highlighted the claims that seem more interesting, as not all of them sound believable: http://i.imgur.com/wZrhM7V.jpg

kvk.jpg

Tragic if true.
Amor fati

Unread postby El Chaos » 13 Jul 2015 21:12

http://gematsu.com/2015/07/solid-snake- ... -disbanded

Sal Romano wrote:Solid Snake Japanese voice actor: ‘Kojima Productions has disbanded’

Akio Otsuka apparently confirms developer dissolution.

Akio Otsuka, the Japanese voice actor for Snake in the Metal Gear Solid series, wrote out a heartfelt goodbye to Kojima Productions on Twitter today (July 10, 2015).

“Kojima Productions was forced to disband, but it appears that the work that the team has been putting their utmost effort into is nearly complete,” Otsuka said in a tweet. “I’m not exaggerating when I say that I expect it will become their greatest masterpiece. I couldn’t help it. I just wanted to say ‘Kept you waiting, huh?’ (Laughs.) But even if this is the end, Metal Gear Solid is immortal!”

We don’t know the fate of the Kojima Productions staff after work on Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is complete. In fact, this is probably the most official statement we’ve gotten about the company’s status. Prior to this, reports citing sources from within the studio claimed Kojima Productions’ senior staff are working on Metal Gear Solid V as contractors, rather than permanent employees, and founder Hideo Kojima plans to leave alongside upper management when their contract expires in December.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby El Chaos » 01 Oct 2015 20:07

https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo/status ... 5416521728

kojima_cerny.png

Kojima with PlayStation 4 lead architect Mark Cerny. Maybe he's going to work with Sony Computer Entertainment.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby El Chaos » 16 Dec 2015 02:08

Sal Romano wrote:Nikkei: Kojima left Konami, establishing new company with former staff to make new PlayStation game

Kojima in final negotiations with Sony Computer Entertainment.

Konami-SCE-Talks-Nikkei.jpg
Konami-SCE-Talks-Nikkei.jpg (60.5 KiB) Viewed 10791 times

Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima officially left Konami on December 15 and is establishing a new studio with his former Konami staff, according to a Nikkei report.

Kojima is reportedly in final negotiations with Sony Computer Entertainment, and his new game is expected to launch first for PlayStation platform(s).

Thanks, 2ch.
Last edited by El Chaos on 24 Jan 2016 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby Some guy » 16 Dec 2015 15:58

Announcing a new partnership with one of the most celebrated game developers in history: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=annuTcmB1rw
Some guy

Unread postby El Chaos » 17 Dec 2015 19:19

http://www.kojimaproductions.jp/

tp_img_trademark.png
tp_img_trademark.png (49.07 KiB) Viewed 10781 times

http://www.kojimaproductions.jp/pr/en151216_01.pdf

GAME DESIGNER HIDEO KOJIMA OPENS NEW STUDIO: KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS

Tokyo, Japan, Dec 16, 2015- KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS announced today that it has officially opened its doors. Lead by award-winning game designer, HIDEO KOJIMA, the studio will begin focusing its efforts in developing products that will push the boundaries in innovation and ignite consumer interest worldwide.

Stay tuned for future announcements.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 18 Dec 2015 18:25

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2015/12/hid ... -sony.html

On the New Studio

Hideo Kojima, founder: “For the new start, we’re just starting right now with this new studio. First we have to find an office, put together the manpower. I’m thinking of looking for offices here in Tokyo. Something not-too-big, I’m thinking smaller-scale, not too many people, and focusing on game creation at first.

“So the concept for this new studio would be creating things with good quality, and keeping the quality we’ve had so far, or even pushing it higher, while doing big things that so far we couldn’t do. We’ll have more agility, we’ll be able to do things that are more edgy, preserving the quality we’ve had so far, while at the same time finding new challenges and exploring new areas.

“When it comes to the things we want to do, of course it will be on creating new franchises and new IP. That will be the initial focus.

“As far as how big I want it to be, I don’t want it to be too big. I want to focus on the agility of the studio, how efficiently we are able to do things. For the first time, I want to focus on one game, on one thing. And after that, if we can do it, maybe we’ll start to do more things. But for the time being, we’re focusing on one thing.”

Yoji Shinkawa, art director: “I’ll be in charge of creating the concept for the characters, concepts for the backgrounds, concepts for the mechs, their designs. Once that’s done, I’ll also overlook the whole art process. In that regard, it won’t change that much. I hope I can do my best the way I’ve been doing so far.

“One thing that’s different is I want to accept more challenges and do things as I wasn’t able to do before. I want to expand, on a personal level, the things I can do. We’ve been working on a franchise that is beloved and has recognizable characters. One of my big goals is, visually, as well as whatever characters we create, go beyond that, are more recognizable, are more beloved. That’s definitely one of the goals I have when it comes to the art side.

“We’ve been working on a franchise that is beloved and has recognizable characters. One of my big goals is, visually, with whatever characters we create, to go beyond that, to be more recognizable, more beloved. That’s definitely one of the goals I have when it comes to the art side.”

On the New Logo

Kojima: “I’ve always loved astronauts, and [the new Kojima Productions logo] is designed so it can be seen as a medieval knight or an astronaut’s helmet. The concept is, with new technology and a pioneer spirit, we want to bring you to a new realm – within the digital world, I mean – we want to travel together with you to a new realm to which no one has gone before.

“As for the skeleton, we’re homo sapiens – people of wisdom – but we’re also homo ludens – people who play – and the concept behind this logo is that: With new technology and a pioneer spirit, we’ll deliver play to a new world.”

On the Sony Partnership

Kojima: “With Sony PlayStation, they make their content globally. It’s thanks to Sony that I was able to make a splash in the global market. It’s been 10-plus years since then and the working relationship at Sony, the people at Sony, we gel well. People at Sony have been friendly with me, I work well with them. I got several offers from many different companies, but with Sony it came to a point where I know these people, we know each other well. I feel like this is an environment where I will be able to make something and be comfortable. And I believe that is the environment I need right now.

“We know each other, we understand each other, and based on this relationship, I think it’s a good point to create a new IP. That’s the reason I chose to work with Sony on this project.

“I want to create something that’s what people expect, but at the same time will have something new that people haven’t seen before. It will be a complete game.”

On the Game Engine

Kojima: “We could go either way. Whether it’s using an existing engine or making another engine. We’ll have to do some research before making a decision on that one.”

On the Japanese Market

Kojima: “I make games in Japan for a global market. As long as there’s a market out there in the world for making games, I’m not too focused on what’s happening in the domestic market in Japan.

“However, because I make games for all the world, I want to make games that go to a global market. If there are very fun games are out there, I believe they will eventually find their way to Japan. People in Japan will start consuming them.”

On Working with Guillermo del Toro

Kojima: “Mr. Del Toro is a talented person and a very good friend of mine. Every now and then we talk about working together in the future, but I cannot make that guarantee here. But I definitely want to work with him in the future. I have no idea what I’ll be working on with him, if it’ll be a game, a movie, anime, but someday I definitely want to create something with him.”

On Looking Ahead

Shinkawa: “I’m getting the opportunity to create a new game again with Mr. Kojima. I’m really excited for this. One thing that happened through this period, the voice of the fans, the people who expected a lot, they gave me courage. They made me feel really well. I felt really gratified having worked so hard in creating games and doing the art I create. I want to correspond to the fans, to get back to them, and I think working again with Mr. Kojima is a great way to do this.”

Kojima: “I’ve been in this industry for 30 years. I turned 52 this year. I’m getting to a new start, and I am very confident. I’ll keep creating games until the day I die. Rest assured I’m making more games, something more fun, something you haven’t seen, and it would be great if I could count on the fans to support me in this.”

Full video interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBe4qaS6n_s
earthboundtrev

Unread postby El Chaos » 24 Jan 2016 15:05

http://gematsu.com/2016/01/hideo-kojima ... be-program

Sal Romano wrote:Hideo Kojima teases new “HideoTube” program

The next evolution of Kojima Station?

Back when Hideo Kojima and Kojima Productions were with Konami, the studio would put out a weekly program called Kojima Station.

Now, with Kojima Productions being an independent studio working with Sony Computer Entertainment, Hideo Kojima is teasing a new program called “HideoTube.”

On Twitter, Kojima posted a photograph of the new program, the first episode of which he was checking today while waiting at the airport.

Hideo-Tube-Tease_01-21-16_001.jpg

His assistant, Ayako Terashima, posted a photograph of Kojima checking the video, noting that they’re looking for English subtitle volunteers.

Hideo-Tube-Tease_01-21-16_002.jpg

Kojima has not announced when he’ll release the first episode.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Return to Games