default header

Games

[PC] [PS4] [ONE] Biohazard 7: Resident Evil

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] [PS4] [ONE] Biohazard 7: Resident Evil

Unread postby Sparkster » 16 Jun 2016 07:42

TAPE-1 “Desolation”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxjOFd0YNo0

http://www.capcom-unity.com/timturi/blo ... ra-of-fear

Capcom Unity wrote:Horror fans all have one thing in common: We live to be terrified. Capcom has heard fans’ masochistic cries for a Resident Evil game far more terrifying than anything that has come before it. Resident Evil 7 biohazard is the harrowing homecoming you’ve been waiting for, and it’s coming to PS4 (with the full gameplay experience also available via the included PlayStation VR Mode), Xbox One, and Windows PC (Steam and Windows 10 Store).

Capcom announced Resident Evil 7 biohazard, the next major entry in the famed Resident Evil series, today during Sony’s press conference at E3 2016 in Los Angeles, California. While Resident Evil 7 draws from the series’ roots of atmospheric survival horror, it also delivers a whole new level of terror. In the classic Resident Evil games of yesteryear, players braced for fear in the first-person via the creepy door-opening scenes, and Resident Evil 7 ramps up that tension with an immersive first-person view and a photorealistic graphical style.

Capcom is able to achieve a shocking degree of visual fidelity thanks to the new proprietary in-house RE Engine that includes VR oriented tools. Last year’s “KITCHEN” tech demo for PlayStation VR was in fact built on this new engine as well. With the RE Engine plus industry leading audio and visual technologies, you experience every abhorrent detail up close and personal in Resident Evil 7. Playing the game in the PlayStation VR Mode escalates the unsettling feeling of presence to a level that horror fans have never experienced. That’s right, the full gameplay experience is available in the included PlayStation VR Mode from beginning to end. No Resident Evil you’ve ever survived could prepare you for this.

Of course, a horror story is only as frightening as its setting, and Resident Evil 7 pays tribute to the franchise’s origins on this front as well. Resident Evil 7 is set after the events of Resident Evil 6, taking place in modern day and revolving around a foreboding, derelict plantation mansion in rural America. Players must explore and survive the horrors within the mysterious, sprawling estate.

Courageous PS4 owners can get a taste of this exciting new chapter of the Resident Evil series by downloading the “Resident Evil 7 Teaser: Beginning Hour” demo. This free demo of Resident Evil 7 is available exclusively to all PlayStation Plus subscribers at this time, and offers a sense of the intense and terrifying experience awaiting you. We don’t want to spoil your time playing Beginning Hour by offering too many details, so start your download now and prepare to face your fears.

Pre-orders for North America via the PlayStation Store are available starting today and come with the exclusive Resident Evil 7 dynamic PS4 theme. True survivalists who pre-order the Standard or Digital Deluxe version of Resident Evil 7 will receive the Survival Pack, which includes an early unlock to the hardest difficulty mode as well as a special item set when the game releases. Pre-orders for Xbox One and PC will be available soon.

The Resident Evil saga started 20 years ago with the launch of the 1996 original, and this exciting new evolution makes now the perfect time to be a fan. Experiencing the exploration and immersive atmosphere in the new, unnervingly intimate first-person view of Resident Evil 7 is guaranteed to be the stuff of nightmares when the game releases for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on January 24, 2017.
Sparkster

Unread postby brfranco » 07 Feb 2017 01:52

"Banned Footage" Trailer PS4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA6E5kIHN5o
brfranco

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Feb 2017 06:13

I edited out the Verge DLC review from your post because we do not normally link reviews from journalists here. If you want to link reviews, you will have to find real gamers' reviews, either on Steam, or in forums or gamer blogs like Scathing Accuracy. We don't care what journalists think, or pretend to think, about games here.

I guess there could be exceptions once in a blue moon, but in that case what you are saying to us by posting them here is that these are reviews of exceptional quality that are worth us taking the time to read them. So you need to be prepared to defend the quality of what you are posting in such cases.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Feb 2017 21:51

Spoilers ahead.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... d-in-japan

Jeffrey Matulef wrote:How Resident Evil 7 is censored in Japan
Not so bloody hell.

Resident Evil 7 may have been made in Japan, but that doesn't mean its native country is getting its native version. Either that or the Japanese version is the developer's intended vision and Capcom simply added more gore to appease a western audience's bloodlust. Either way, the Japanese edition of Resi 7 is less gory in a myriad of ways.

As reported by YouTube channel Censored Gaming, Resi 7's Japanese release strongly tones down the game's horror imagery. To wit: in the English release players can find a mutated head in the fridge, full of blood, slime, and fangs jutting out at unsettling angles. In the Japanese version there's simply a photograph of an ordinary man's face with a red X drawn over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfj5W435w-s
Japan received both a normal and 'Grotesque Version' of Resident Evil 7, though even the Grotesque Version was censored. That's where this footage comes from.

Likewise, the western version has a bit where player character Ethan must stick his hand (and entire forearm) down a corpse's throat to retrieve a key. In the Japanese version, he simply picks it up next to a rotting, mutated cadaver.

The bit where the cop get their head sliced open by Jack Baker is a lot less gory in the Japanese version, too, as the top half of their skull doesn't slide off.

Finally, a severed hand is covered with blood in the western release, whereas in Japan it's shrouded in a black moldy substance.

On the plus side, Lucas' Japanese voice actor sounds a lot more unhinged. Sometimes it's what you don't see that's most frightening of all.

Censoring horror games in Japan is pretty common as Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami's recent grindhouse opus The Evil Within was given a similarly neutered treatment in its homeland.

That's why the Insomnia review will be of the Western version.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 19 Sep 2017 14:16

http://www.allgamesdelta.net/2017/09/re ... d.html?m=1

Capcom wrote:Capcom today confirmed Resident Evil 7 biohazard Gold Edition will be coming to retail and digital on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC, alongside the remaining DLC for the game, all on December 12, 2017. The newly announced title will include all the contents from the critically acclaimed release earlier this year along with all three pieces of downloadable add-on content, in one ultimate horror package. These previously released DLC packs - Banned Footage Vol. 1 and Banned Footage Vol. 2 will be included as well as the upcoming third DLC release End of Zoe. Capcom are also able to confirm today that the delayed Not a Hero DLC content will be available to download for free for owners of any version of Resident Evil 7 biohazard on this day.

End of Zoe is a shocking instalment of the Resident Evil 7 biohazard saga where players discover what Zoe’s fate will be. Players will face off against new enemies and explore new swamp filled areas. End of Zoe will be included in the Gold Edition or available as an update if you are a Season Pass owner. Owners of the original release will also able to purchase the content as a separate download for £11.99 /€14.99 / $14.99.

The free Not a Hero DLC sees the return of Resident Evil fan favourite and veteran BSAA soldier Chris Redfield. Taking place after the horrific events that befell Ethan Winters in Resident Evil 7 biohazard, Not a Hero brings a brand new experience playing as Chris to face new threats not met in the main game. As a member of New Umbrella, Chris and team quickly set up a strategy to counter this latest threat. Will Chris once again solve the mystery of this latest outbreak and make it out of the plantation’s dungeons alive?

Nearly all content for PlayStation 4, including End of Zoe and Not a Hero can be enjoyed on PlayStation VR for a more thrilling and immersive horror experience.

Gold Edition Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7MlF1HUR7w
earthboundtrev

Unread postby ChevRage » 23 Aug 2019 19:43

Man, this game absolutely needs to be played in VR. It is definitely much more "thrilling and immersive" as Capcom claims. It makes going back to playing games on regular screens almost impossible for me because of how good it feels to place your head inside this game's world. Just being able to look around with your actual head and see more scenery and more game instead of your boring living room is such a joy. This stuff is the future alright, and it's already here.

Having said that, there are still glaring issues with the implementation of VR in this game. Which I suppose is kinda to be expected given that VR is relatively new, and the hardware that it's on is also relatively poor. I still don't know why Capcom didn't release the VR mode on PC. The exclusivity deal that Sony made with Capcom is now over, so where is it? Maybe Capcom weren't even originally going to make it VR-capable and Sony strong-armed them into doing so? I can even imagine Sony lending Capcom some VR consultants to make it happen. But yeah, all I can do is guess really.

So first up, lemme tell you this. This isn't like Astro Bot Rescue Mission where your viewpoint is basically moving on rails, or the Wipeout Omega Collection where you're sitting inside a ship. In-game, you are walking around with one control stick and turning with another. In VR. If you haven't experienced what that's like before it's definitely pretty jarring. It almost feels like motion sickness, and a good explanation of why that happens is in the Stereoscopic 3D thread in the Hardware forum [ > ].

Now to combat this unpleasantness, game designers tend to include all these "VR comfort" settings to somewhat stifle the reality part of virtual reality. I guess you're expected to have them all on and then slowly turn them off as you get used to the experience, but fuck it I turn them all off straight away. I figure if I ever need to throw up or something I'll just stop playing and do something else. The REAL issue is when you CAN'T turn them all off, and that's an issue of this game right here.

There's still really annoying shit that they put in to make the game more comfortable for VR noobs, that make it super uncomfortable for people who are used to it. Hell I found this shit offputting even my first time in VR. And you can't turn it off. The most heinous thing being the stupid "blinking" whenever the character gets moved during a cutscene. It happens so often especially at the beginning of the game, when you are introduced to the first enemy and there's a bunch of cutscenes like one where they grab you and throw you through a wall. Each time you get rotated, the character (and thus your entire screen) basically blinks and then they open their eyes after they've moved, or been rotated. It's really fucked, because that shit is disorientating and probably way worse than it could ever be than if they had just forcefully rotated your viewpoint. It happens every time you jump down from a high ledge. The first encounter with an enemy would probably have been much better than it is now, and on the hardest difficulty you will be seeing that fucking cutscene so many times lol. I basically had to have my eyes closed during that cutscene, I couldn't stand it that much.

Another big annoyance is that the direction you move is tied to whichever direction you are facing (and you can only run forwards, moving the stick in other directions will have you move real slowly), which means that you can't look behind you as you run away from an enemy. All that happens is that you'll start moving towards the enemy. The setting and use of VR SCREAM for you to be able to look behind you at whatever you are running away from, and yet you can't do it naturally. Also for some reason moving your head left and right makes your character's feet shuffle around a little bit, which gets in the way of you listening out for enemies. Not that your character even has feet though.

Your character is just a pair of floating hands too. I'm guessing this is more a case of the PlayStation's power output being too low to properly render everything that would be seen on a normal screen (I checked, there's feet and everything outside of the VR mode). There's no shadows for your character, and what little outside locations there are look like an absolute mess. You even start outside, which gave me a terrible impression of this game in VR at the beginning. I haven't played it on a Pro though, so maybe it's better there.

All the cutscenes have basically been neutered in VR, like how the CGI stuff at the beginning of the game flows into your control of the character is jarring. The CGI is like a floating movie screen in front of you, and then suddenly everything is 3D and you have control of your character. Even little stuff like pushing up against a locked door, and using keys sometimes has no animation for the hands and instead you see a floating key get inserted into stuff (outside of VR this would all be properly animated, at least in this game).

It's kind of annoying it's not perfect, but as far as a venture into a first-person game via VR goes it's very damn good.

Here are the settings I used btw so that if you want to, you can turn them all "off" too. From the title screen of the game go to Options, and then in each category change the settings as listed here:

Controls
Walking Speed -> Normal
Camera Rotation Type -> Smooth
Camera Rotation (VR mode) -> 10
Smooth Crouching -> On

Display
Blood on Screen (VR mode) -> Normal
Reticle (VR mode) -> Only display when aiming
VR Mode FOV Filter -> None
VR Mode Orientation Guide -> Off

There are more settings I haven't listed, but they are fairly self-explanatory and it's up to you what to have them as.
ChevRage

Return to Games