default header

Uberust

Discord

Moderator: JC Denton

Discord

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Dec 2017 13:02

I want to look into what the limits are with Discord. Can we have 30 voice channels, with 300 people all using them at the same time? If not, we might have to ask clans to use their own voice channels, which will make it harder to ally with each other, in which case we will have to get creative with solutions.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Dec 2017 13:05

I was also thinking of naming the voice channels after clans, and making it so only they can enter their own voice channel. That should prevent trolling, but on the other hand, it will also prevent alliances because in Rust it seems the players need to be in the same voice channel to properly ally, in order to do jump-checks etc.

I am listening to proposals, if anyone has any, to somehow combine the benefits of clan-specific voice channels with easy channel-hopping for alliances.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 17 Dec 2017 13:20

https://www.reddit.com/r/discordapp/com ... e_channel/

ReallyAmused wrote:Our official response to this has always been: until your computer can't handle it anymore. Personally, I've been in voice channels with 500 people in them just fine.
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Dec 2017 15:40

In that case, the next challenge would be to figure out past what number of players a clan needs two voice channels. From my experience, even ten people in a voice channel makes any kind of complex co-ordination hard. Once half the clan is defending the base and the other half is on the other side of the map raiding, you really can't have everyone in a single channel.

It'd be nice if Discord worked like Mumble and you could get sub-channels.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Dec 2017 15:43

I think I found a good solution. Each clan gets two channels in its name: one locked, that only they can access, and one public, right above the locked one, in which players from other clans too can drop in to make alliances etc.

Eventually, some clan will need three or four channels, but then we just add more and lock them, so that each clan will only have one public channel.

It's not as good a solution as sub-channels, but until Discord implements them, it's the best I can think of.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Uberust