default header

Ultimate Edition

Ascending to Godhood

Moderator: JC Denton

Ascending to Godhood

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Dec 2020 16:38

We'll have rules for becoming kings. We'll also need rules for becoming gods. The Dark Sun rule book Dragon Kings has such rules, to an extent, not for becoming god, but for becoming a dragon (at least a Dark Sun dragon, which is a quite distinct variation of a regular dragon). So that's an alternative way to become a dragon, other than unlocking the Council of Wyrms setting (of course you'll need to unlock the Dark Sun setting, but it's cheaper, since it doesn't ouright give you a dragon at character creation, you have to fight for him, assuming you want to of course). So we need to scale up these rules for godhood, and we'll need them for every setting. We need them to be comprehensive.

You know the typical fantasy trope where the villain is trying to become god by performing certain sacrifices? That's what the Dark Sun setting captured so brilliantly, and even made it available to players, in a restricted form, up to dragon level. So we need to study that and figure out how to scale it up. I thereby authorize anyone who thinks that they can CONTRIBUTE to these rules to read that book. Don't read it for no reason. Don't spoil it for yourself. It's much more fun to wait until you're playing a defiler or preserver in Dark Sun and get to a high-enough level that you begin uncovering those hidden secrets. But if you think you can HELP me write the godhood rules, please read this book and let me know your thoughts.

This isn't an urgent matter. We're years away from needing these rules. The thought just occurred to me so I made a thread to alert everyone and link it on the site so I don't forget.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Dec 2020 16:44

Dragon Kings PDF:

https://thetrove.is/Books/Dungeons%20&%20Dragons%20[multi]/2nd%20Edition%20%28AD%26D%29/Dark%20Sun/Dragon%20Kings%20Hardcover.pdf

Note that phpBB can no longer parse such links because the brackets in the "[multi]" that the Trove admin added to the URLs break the BBCode. You'll have to copy-paste the link to your browser.

Post any other resources here that you think might help.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Ultimate Edition