default header

Battlegrounds

The Music of Alex Kierkegaard's Battlegrounds

Moderator: JC Denton

Re: The Music of D&D Battlegrounds

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Jul 2021 20:17

TaleSpire’s soundtrack is fantastic. Perfect music for the subject matter, like PA’s and Rust’s have been. Superb aesthetic sense for the directors of all three superb projects.

So the TaleSpire soundtrack will be the base soundtrack of Ultimate Edition’s city-building phase. I am sure I will end up adding tracks to it, but what is there now is a great starting point.

Problem is, you can’t really find this soundtrack on YouTube so I can add it to the playlist. There is only the main theme/main menu track, and I have added this, but I want the others too. If I extract them from the game and put them on YT that will probably end in copyright strikes, so I won’t do that. You can’t even find the tracks on SoundCloud btw, only a few sample tracks:

TaleSpire Soundtrack Sampler
https://m.soundcloud.com/talespire-ost-sampler

Nor can you buy the soundtrack on Steam. People on Reddit are asking for some way to buy this damn soundtrack, just as earlier they were asking for months for some way to buy TaleSpire itself after the end of the crowdfunding campaign.

TaleSpire OST available?
https://amp.reddit.com/r/talespire/comm ... available/

The devs are just very slow at everything unfortunately. So the only way currently to listen to this music is in the actual program—the DM can change tracks at will, and in true TTRPG fashion a track loops endlessly once chosen until the DM changes it.

So as a first pass at the problem I will rip the tracks from the game files (let me know if anyone can find them) and upload them to the Battlegrounds site. Beyond that I have another plan for how to handle the mega playlist of UE’s soundtrack, since YT really can’t handle it properly, and I’ll talk about that soon.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: The Music of D&D Battlegrounds

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Jul 2021 20:27

It would be cool to add sound effects in TaleSpire like in RTSes. “Yes my lord.” “It will be done.”

What exactly do the villagers say when you give them a command in Age of Empires 2?
https://www.quora.com/What-exactly-do-t ... -Empires-2

Or when you add a farm with chickens, you should hear the chickens when you go by etc. Would be cool if this could be modded. Of course I can always add that stuff via Syrinscape as a last resort.
icycalm
Hyperborean

icycalm reviews Sami J. Laine's "Pathfinder"

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Nov 2022 13:37

Those who've been following my Battlegrounds project from the early days might remember that originally I had chosen as Pathfinder theme Two Steps From Hell's "Strength of a Thousand Men": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIxas0a-KgM

That was a perfect theme for Pathfinder, but soon after Paizo announced its Strength of Thousands Adventure Path, and that screwed me over since now "Strength of a Thousand Men" obviously had to become this campaign's theme.

Ever since, I've been looking for a replacement Pathfinder theme, with no luck. The problem with many of these nu-epic tracks is that they're VERY SPECIFIC in the kind of story they're telling. Every piece of music tells its own story, and what I needed for the Pathfinder theme is an extremely broad piece in terms of the narrative it projects that could encompass not merely an adventure or a campaign, but an entire WORLD. And Pathfinder is the grandest fictional world ever, the scope of its metaplot is awe-inspiring. So when Two Steps From Hell puts out a sizzling track called "Archangel" for example, or "The Colonel", or whatever, I can't use this stuff. This stuff can only be used in very specific situations and scenarios within certain campaigns; it absolutely cannot go at the very top page of the overworld. What I needed was a composition that totally overwhelms all the others, not so much sets them aside but SWALLOWS them and quiets them down and incorporates them. What I needed was a piece of unquestioned epicness that towered over all the others.

So after months of fruitless research, I had come up with nothing. Disgusted with myself and running out of time (as I am about to unveil my overworld very soon), I finally just entered "Pathfinder epic music" into the YouTube search. Hilariously, the second result was a "Powerful Heroic Adventure Epic Music" piece titled... "Pathfinder".

Pathfinder theme: "Pathfinder"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG8BFGddn-E

My first impression was "meh", but I played it over a couple more times just to make sure because you never know; music can grow on you, and the better it is, the more time this can take. And so it did. Every time I listened to it I appreciated it a bit more, and by the third or fourth time I was being blown away with every listen until I was saying "This is it. This is Pathfinder."

I think the reason I didn't catch on immediately were the folksy sounds at the start. I think they deceived my brain into thinking the track's scope was small, and since I was looking for something truly grand, really of gargantuan scope, I think my ear just gave up and wasn't really paying attention beyond that.

Now every time I listen to this piece, I hear, "Now sit down and let me tell you of the grandest story ever..."

It's not a complex piece, because it shouldn't be. It's a, let us say, meta-piece. It only tells you "This is Pathfinder", not the story itself. It's a signpost to the story, an enormous billboard, and then you have to go closer and look deeper, and then you'll see the tapestry of campaigns with their interweaving plots and complex themes. And that's where you get involved and decide what will happen. But at the level of "Pathfinder", you have no choice: others have designed this world, and the design is "Epic Fantasy": precisely what Sami J. Laine's "Pathfinder" turns into music.

Incredibly, the piece has been on YT for two years with only 24K views, which is basically a crime. I could put 24K views on it myself, I am already listening to it 20 times a day. The composer has his own YouTube channel and he also hosts the piece there (but his background image isn't good for my purposes, so I won't be using this version). Incredibly, THAT version has been up for THREE years with 8K views! Nigga The Cult's videos almost get more views than that lmao, wtf. I was about to write a long post to that effect in his comments, but in the end I deleted it all and just posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h4lFP8 ... AC14AaABAg

★★★★★
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Battlegrounds