default header

Cult Base

Rust strategy

Moderator: JC Denton

Re: Rust strategy

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Jun 2021 16:28

lol this website looks like an interactive electrical system designer: https://www.rustrician.io/

Kind of like Fortify, but for electricity.

This is Fortify, for those who don't know: https://store.steampowered.com/app/505040/FORTIFY/

You need TWO outside programs now, to make the best Rust bases.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Jun 2021 16:48

So I got an IFTTT account (CULTxicycalm), invited their bot to our Discord, and created the following "applet":

If it works as advertised, it should send a message to the #rust text channel whenever one of our alarms is triggered that includes the word "attack" in its description. We've never set up alarms, but I guess you can make them do different things, so if we add the word "attack" in its description, it will trigger this Discord bot.

You can also set it up to ping @everyone at the server, or specific roles. For now, I haven't set up roles, but if it ends up being useful I'll create a Rust role and give it every wipe to whoever's playing.

The only issue is that for some reason the IFTTT bot is currently offline in our server. However, the Patreon bot is ALWAYS offline, yet still works, so I don't know.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Jun 2021 17:56

Here’s an innovation that I think will be a game-changer for us.

We’ve been playing this damn game for years and we’ve always tried to make a starter base that would grow into our full base. But this shit don’t work because unlike most games in the genre Rust doesn’t let you delete structures, you need to dynamite your own damn base just to build an extension. So you can never make an organic elegant design, everything has to be klutzy and makeshift.

So this time we’ll try something different. Our starter base will be a 2x3 or 3x3, but we’ll never build it up. Once we’ve done it and filled it with the essentials we’ll start our proper full base nearby. This full base we can keep working on for hours without the need to close it, since there won’t be anything inside until the full structure is done. Then once the full base is done we will repurpose the starter base as a backup emergency base, thus killing two birds with one stone: we both solve the klutz issue that results in awkward bases, and we produce a backup base that we’ve never had. This backup base can be stocked with weapons to allow us to counterattack if the main base is being sieged.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Jun 2021 21:47

This is the optimal solution also if you look at it from this angle: the energy we used to expend to break through our own ceilings in order to add more floors to the base would be about equivalent to making that extra starter base, but while in the first case we were just destroying things, now we’ll be creating something.

All these years and hundreds of hours and it never occurred to us.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Robomoo » 01 Jul 2021 18:18

Updated version of the base design I posted above, with two different styles of roof:

This version has a much better shooting floor and more space for honeycombing, plus space to store a mini-copter. We can also fill the outer frames up with turrets.

I think the roof pieces will slot together properly in the actual game btw.
Robomoo

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Jul 2021 18:29

I would not want to spend days building this only to find out in the end that the pieces don't slot together. And if you're gonna make something this big, it better have lots of space on the roof for helis etc. Why make the roof smaller than the rest?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Robomoo » 01 Jul 2021 18:46

I am 90% sure the roof will look fine, plus we can test it out in the game straight away with twig without having to build the whole thing.

Here's a different roof with space to store 3 helis:

Robomoo

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Mar 2022 08:39

With the extra vehicles that have gone in the game since we last played (submarines, camper van with mobile spawning, and snowmobiles, if I am not forgetting anything), I feel the need to list everything and try to sketch out an ideal base that could house all that stuff. I'd like to use some 2D sketching software first, and later Fortify.

The ideal base now would be MASSIVE, and it needs to be in the ice region, on the water, to be able to cater to both snowmobiles and watercraft. And it can't be on an ice float or something, because it needs to have road access. There will basically be a couple of valid locations only in every map. If we assume the top Rustoria server, we're talking about one of the greatest videogame challenges of all time trying to build the ultimate base. I remember five years ago where we were thinking we were close to getting everything done in the game, but now with all the added content this is a challenge that could occupy us for years. We'd maybe need 10-20 hardcore players working day and night for a week to have a shot at accomplishing this.

Which is fine by me, I am not in a rush to finish Rust lol. I just want to play more of it, and can't wait to see what new things are coming up.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Jun 2022 02:34

If you're alone, and have no one to scout ahead for you, and you need to move something valuable, like say 10 metal pipes (each of which is needed to make for example one revolver), between different parts of the base, just take several trips. With two trips of 5, even if you get jacked once, we can still make revolvers. Assess the risk and the value of the trip, and don't risk everything at once if the value AND the risk are high.

You need to be thinking ahead at all times, and practice solid risk management techniques, to get anywhere in Rustoria US Main. We would have twice what we have now in the current wipe if I hadn't made several silly and easily avoidable mistakes. Learning from them is half the fun of the game, and half the challenge in playing in the number 1 server.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Jun 2022 02:57

Our kitchen (currently just a barbecue) is stocked with food and water. Get your health to 100 and keep it there to increase your chances of surviving an attack, especially when you're moving valuable items from one part of the base to another. Later on, when we have an abundance of clothing and armor, consider using some of that too.

When eating, do it in front of a fire, which can be the barbecue fire (empty it of all items first) or even a furnace. This way your comfort meter will be higher, and you'll gain health more efficiently, saving us some food in the process. If other players are on, eating with them next to you increases the comfort meter even more for everyone.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Jun 2022 10:15

If you're transporting super-important shit like scrap or researchable items or god forbid tarp from one building in the base to another, and you don't have another person to give you the all-clear, wait until night. Don't risk it, it's not worth it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Vehicle-parenting

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Aug 2022 06:03

A while back, I made a thread on Reddit to ask if there's some way to bring cars to an island: https://www.reddit.com/r/playrust/comme ... _an_island

icycalm wrote:Can we bring cars to an island?

I love islands but I don't want a base without a garage. Any way I can bring a car to an island, and back?

They told me to make a land bridge, but those look ugly without bridge-specific assets, so I scratched that idea. But someone replied something much more interesting, that I only now noticed:

GagOnGrime wrote:They’re working on “vehicle parenting” in the next update or two. This means if you could fit a car in a scrap heli. You could also fit a snow mobile, or a horse in there as well.. You can also transport vehicles via train, and via car as long as it has a truck bed.

This means we can have a garage and any kind of vehicle we want on our own island, as long as we have a scrap heli to carry them around where they'll be used. Of course, there won't be a train track, but that's not a huge deal-breaker if there's a track nearby, perhaps right across from the island. And I do hope that eventually there'll be a proper bridge and train track leading to islands. It's on their roadmap to improve the island formations, and this improvement could well be a part of it.

All I am saying is, I am more open to trying to fight over and lock an island down now, as long as this "vehicle parenting" makes it into the game.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Aug 2022 06:10

On second thought, I doubt you can fit campervans in helis, and I really want those. Plus the whole idea of ferrying vehicles around the map on helis sounds like a logistical nightmare unless you have a much bigger group than what we usually get on Rust these days. So scratch this idea, at least for now.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 31 Oct 2023 00:01

Some advice about the tugboat that schaden wants to get on Thursday [ > ]. Don’t try to get it at the wipe. I wouldn’t even go to the harbor that early, it will be a clusterfuck, and you won’t find the boat anyway—clans will have swiped it long before you get there. Your best bet is to work at your base until the wipe players are exhausted and gone to sleep. Then you waltz in the harbor and if you’re persistent and a bit lucky, you’ll get one. But be ready with the supplies you will need to take it out: above all low grade oil I think (but look it up as it’s a new vehicle and it might have special requirements, like the cars for example that need parts and repairs to get started). If you can’t outstay the wipe players and go to sleep before them, you’ll have more chances in succeeding days; since it’s a US server, just try whenever the US sleeps. It’s not that the sites will be empty, but they will definitely be far less busy.

All this assumes you’re playing on a top server like Rustoria US Main. In lower servers you don’t need strategy, you just waltz in wherever and take whatever you want.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Previous

Return to Cult Base