El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby alastair » 22 Aug 2013 11:21

alastair

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Oct 2013 09:08

http://www.maximumpc.com/ps4_controller ... rk_pc_2013

Ben Kim wrote:PS4 Controller Confirmed to Work on PC

Sony executive promises basic compatibility with PC

The PS4’s DualShock 4 controllers will work with Windows PCs “by default” according to a series of tweets by Shuhei Yoshida, president of Worldwide Studios at Sony. Basic functions like the analog sticks and buttons will be available without extra drivers although the controller’s special functions, like the front-facing touchpad and gyroscope, won’t work.

ps4-access-large2.jpg

Most PC-compatible game controllers function through Microsoft’s XInput Game Controller API which essentially makes any controller function as an Xbox 360 controller. The PS3’s DualShock 3 controller isn’t compatible without first installing third party drivers like Better DS3 whereas the wired 360 controller has plug-and-play compatibility.

With the PS4 set to launch in November, the DualShock 4 controller will be the first next-gen controller compatible with the PC. Microsoft has already revealed that the Xbox One controller won’t be ready for the PC until 2014.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby El Chaos » 30 Oct 2013 22:04

El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby Some guy » 07 Nov 2013 17:51

Sony confirms PlayStation 4 launch apps.

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/11/son ... -apps.html

Sony Computer Entertainment America Announces Digital Entertainment Apps Available on PlayStation®4 at Launch

Sony Computer Entertainment America today announced a line-up of digital entertainment apps that will be available on the PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system in the U.S. beginning November 15, 2013. Leveraging the power of PSN, PS4 gamers will have access to a rich portfolio of services starting on day one that feature the hottest movies and television shows, unique specialized content, and live sports programming. All entertainment apps can be found in PlayStation Store.

"PlayStation is deeply committed to providing the most immersive gaming and entertainment experiences to gamers," said Phil Rosenberg, senior vice president, business development and publisher relations at SCEA. "The PS4 is the most powerful gaming system ever created, which enables us, along with our partners to add amazing entertainment options to the platform that we know PlayStation fans are going to love."

Launched alongside the PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system on November 11, 2006, PSN is a comprehensive digital platform and a central part of the greater PlayStation ecosystem. A part of the larger Sony Entertainment Network, PSN delivers superior entertainment offerings catered to gamers at home and on the go. Content offered on the platform has grown significantly since its foundation with new digital entertainment options being added frequently.

In addition to Sony's own Music Unlimited, a global cloud-based, digital streaming music service with a global catalog of over 22 million songs, and Video Unlimited, an on demand entertainment service that provides access to Hollywood's latest hit movies, select classics and TV shows from hundreds of studios and networks across nine countries, there will be a variety of digital entertainment from popular services available starting at launch.

Entertainment apps available on November 15 include

• Amazon Instant Video - Amazon Instant Video offers two great ways to watch movies and TV shows instantly, anywhere. Buy or rent from a selection of more than 150,000 titles or subscribe to Prime Instant Video and get unlimited streaming of tens of thousands of movies and TV episodes.

• Crackle - A part of Sony Pictures Television, Crackle is a freely accessible multi-platform television network delivering original series such as Emmy Award nominated Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, and hit movies and television programs in a variety of genres.

• Crunchyroll - Watch the latest and best selection of Anime right from Japan such as Naruto Shippuden, Attack on Titan, Bleach and more up to one-hour after Japanese broadcast!

• EPIX - Authenticated subscribers on the PS4 system can instantly access and stream more than 3,000 titles on-demand, including top blockbusters such as The Avengers and The Hunger Games in HD, classic Hollywood franchises, award-winning original documentaries plus music and comedy specials.

• Hulu Plus - Hulu Plus offers unlimited instant streaming of current hit shows like Family Guy, The Simpsons, and South Park as well as original series including The Awesomes and The Wrong Mans.

• NBA Game Time - Stay connected to live out-of-market NBA game action on the PS4 system with NBA League Pass Broadband on an authenticated basis for subscribers. Get access to real time stats, complete scores, stats and schedules for every game, and video highlights and recaps.

• Netflix - Netflix members can instantly watch a wide variety of TV shows and movies, including exclusive series such as House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, on the PS4 system.

• NHL GameCenter Live - Instantly stream live out-of-market games in HD quality with your NHL GameCenter Live subscription.

• Redbox Instant by Verizon - Subscribers can stream from a library of hit movies on the PS4 system and receive 4 DVD or Blu-Ray rental nights every month for new releases at the Redbox kiosk. Everyone can purchase and rent the latest movies on-demand.

• VUDU - Watch the world's largest selection of HD movies and TV shows, including thousands of blockbusters, Hollywood classics and indies. Stream new releases before they¹re available on DVD, or build a collection of favorites without ever paying for a subscription.

• YuppTV - YuppTV offers over 150 Indian TV channels Live and on demand, including a selection of over 600 Movies to watch anytime, anywhere.
Some guy

Unread postby clayton.perdue » 08 Nov 2013 16:26

Sony engineering director Yasuhiro Ootori rips apart the PS4 and talks about it (video): http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/11/p ... down-video

TOKYO — You can’t have a PlayStation 4 until the middle of November. But you can take a peek inside.

In the video above, Sony engineering director Yasuhiro Ootori tears down the PS4, Sony’s effort to reclaim its spot at the top of the home gaming world. In the world of consumer computing — and game consoles in particular — the teardown is a coming-out party of sorts, and this needed the full treatment, including two cameras and an interpreter to translate Ootori’s commentary into English.

Designed under the leadership of Mark Cerny — an American software designer — the PS4 is a machine that is simple yet powerful. The idea was to make it as easy as possible for developers to build games to rival anything on the market. The key to this philosophy is the main processor, which combines a CPU, the brains of a computer, with a GPU, which typically handles graphics. In the teardown, you can see this chip, but also the 8GB of GDDR5 memory, the optical drive, the heat pipes, the centrifugal fan, and whatever else you wanna geek-out on.

Just don’t get too excited.
clayton.perdue

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Nov 2013 01:16

ra6j.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... st88985263

ElTorro wrote:Rip-off of Apple's Think Different campaign.

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes.
The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them.
About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They invent. They imagine. They heal. They explore. They create. They inspire. They push the human race forward.
Maybe they have to be crazy.
How else can you stare at an empty canvas and see a work of art? Or sit in silence and hear a song that’s never been written? Or gaze at a red planet and see a laboratory on wheels?
We make tools for these kinds of people.
While some see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Nov 2013 01:18

The last line in Apple's ad is stupid by the way, but then again it's just an ad.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 18 Nov 2013 06:18

jeffrobot494

Unread postby clayton.perdue » 19 Nov 2013 17:03

http://kotaku.com/ps4-blue-light-of-dea ... 1465979487

PS4 'Blue Light of Death' Has No Clear Fix Yet

A number of PlayStation 4 owners appear to have non-functional units that all suffer the same problem, a so-called blue light—or blue pulse—of death. We can't tell how many and assume it's a small but noteworthy minority.

The problem is being cited in scathing Amazon reviews, a trickle of Twitter complaints and a stack of videos on YouTube—as well as in more than a dozen e-mails and Tweets received by Kotaku since the console's launch on Friday.

Sony hasn't offered any official comment to Kotaku on the matter, but a representative on the official PS4 support forums did post a lengthy set of step-by-step troubleshooting tips today. That post, on a thread entitled "[INFO] Blinking Blue Light PS4 Issues," doesn't offer any surefire fix.

From what I've heard, those with this issue have found that the best solution still involves sending the unit back—either directly to Sony or to the retailer who sold it to them, if an exchange is available.

The problem that these PS4 users are facing is frustratingly simple. When a PS4 is working and is turned on with a press of the power button, the light that runs along the side of the console should first pulse blue and then switch to white. As it does, the console should send a signal to the TV it is hooked up to. Those who have the "blue light/pulse of death" are instead finding that their PS4 pulses blue, never goes to white and never sends a signal to their TV. I first heard about this problem on Wednesday from a Redditor going by the name Arogon. He'd won his PS4 in a Taco Bell contest and received it prior to launch.

You can see many examples of the blue light of death on YouTube. This one, for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-xf76ruvQU

...and this one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-eDs9kxeo

...and this one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVAuDRNYJWM

We've presented another one in the GIF atop this post.

Sony's troubleshooting tips involve holding down the power button for seven seconds, unplugging the console and then powering it back on. The company also recommends checking the seating of the hard drive and ensuring that the firmware of the connected TV is up to date.

While I've heard from numerous people who've had the pulsing blue light problem, I've not heard from any who have been able to fix it through any simple steps.

I have, however, heard from multiple PS4 users whose systems did have problems that they could fix—those users, like us, had PS4s that had lights that went from blue to white. The scattered issues involved things like bent metal in an HDMI port and incompatibility with some non-Sony HDMI cables. The issues vary widely, as do the solutions. Screenwriter and former PC Gamer editor Gary Whitta got his blue-to-white machine working only once he added the PS4's day-one patch via a USB stick. Whitta's emotional rollercoaster was captured on Twitter, where he went from "OH SHIT UPS TRUCK" to "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA my PS4 doesn't work" to "Guys, I got it working! I'm a tech genius!" in about two hours.

The blue-light-only people are posting much angrier accounts.

The console's Amazon rating—with its more than 600 five-star reviews—has been dragged down by nearly 400 one-star reviews, many of which cite the blue light problem. A sampling:

ku-xlarge.png
ku-xlarge.png (185.44 KiB) Viewed 52376 times

Several people have contacted me directly after seeing my article about our own formerly-broken PS4. Our problem was simple and unrelated to the blue light thing, but I nevertheless asked for anyone who was having trouble to reach out. They did. They've mostly been frustrated by the problem, though one has said that Sony is already sending him a box for him to return his console in. And another shared an emotional rollercoaster of an adventure with me that involved first rescuing his PS4 from being delivered on a neighbor's doorstep and then, after discovering the console had the blue-light problem, rushing to a retailer that exchanged it for a working one.

On Twitter, one frustrated PS4 owner, a musician named John Beauchamp, Tweeted to me saying he was "currently stuck on blue." A day later, he Tweeted:

"After a two hour wait, a 10 minute phone conversation mostly involving address and ticket # exchange, Sony is sending me a box to ship... my DOA PS4 and they're going to ship me a brand new PS4 in return... The customer service rep I talked to was extremely reassuring, confident, and knowledgeable which was extremely nice... Also I should remind everyone with DOA's that the customer service rep on the other end is a person to who is not the cause of your problem... Well most of them aren't at least. There's always that 1%"

One of the more unexpected notes Kotaku got regarding the blue light problems was from adult film actress Alana Evans, whose NSFW Twitter feed provided yet another chronicle of the emotional journey of "blue light of death" PS4 users. Early on launch day, she tweeted "Merry Christmas to me ;)" and this picture:

ku-medium.jpg
ku-medium.jpg (37.56 KiB) Viewed 52376 times

Ninety minutes later she was tweeting: "wow! Hey @Kotaku@PlayStation My PS4 DOESN'T WORK!!!!! IT ONLY GIVES ME A BLUE LIGHT AND WONT POWER UP. I AM NOT HAPPY!" She said she checked the HDMI port. There was no bent metal. She had the blue light of death problem.

And then, the next day: "I have now been on hold another 50 mins for my third attempt at calling @Playstation. They could at least give me phone sex while I wait." Later she said that she expected to be getting a new one on Tuesday, four days after her console failed on her. She then Tweeted: "I'm not assuming anything. I WILL NOT be getting the Xbox 1 on launch. Not going thru this again."

Some people might conclude that these are the hazards of buying a console at launch. Some machines do break. Sony even told reporters prior to launch that .4% of units that had been distributed to that point had issues—that's 4 out of 1000, or 1 out of 250. That ratio may have changed. It may not have. We're only going to be hearing complaints from those whose machines failed, of course, and most of the people whose PS4s are working are unlikely to drop me a e-mails or send Tweets. Kotaku's far-flung team now have about six or so PS4s, all of which boot up just fine. We've enjoyed many games on the machine and think pretty highly of the unit and its new services. (Read our PS4 review.)

Nevertheless, the reason this issue is being referred to as a "blue light of death" is because people remember Microsoft's "red ring of death" on the Xbox 360. That hardware problem killed so many original Xbox 360s, that Microsoft eventually had to extend the warranty on the machine for three year. The fiasco cost the company an estimated $1 billion.

There is no indication that this PS4 issue is that bad, but we'll keep an eye on it and will let you know whatever important new details we learn.
clayton.perdue

Unread postby El Chaos » 23 Nov 2013 20:13

Digital Foundry's in-depth take on Sony's next-gen console: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... ystation-4

Richard Leadbetter wrote:We usually conclude our hardware tests with a verdict, but until we've spent more time with the user interface, and tested more of the key features - like Vita Remote Play - we can only offer up some preliminary thoughts.

There's some stand-out technology here for sure. Sony has handed in a high quality, traditionally console-sized box that runs a cutting-edge processor with bags of graphics power and has done so in a well-designed enclosure, that may not be ultra-cool, but dissipates heat well and remains fairly quiet in warm ambient temperatures. However, the first order of business once we have the kit in our offices will be to ratchet up the heating to see if the unit remains as quiet during the summer months. The only doubt we have here comes when the system is pushed to the limit - the extra 20W consumed by the UI in combination with the game sees fan noise increase significantly.

Other aspects of the kit - like the DualShock 4 and the PlayStation Camera - also fare well. The new controller feels sublime, to the point where Guerrilla Games felt comfortable enough to completely turn off auto-aim - a bit of a risk based on experience with current-gen controllers, but the DualShock 4 is more than up to the task. The Camera's facial recognition and voice control also proved decent. We're not looking at Kinect-level integration, but it's impressive nonetheless, and entirely optional.

Where the jury's still out is on the user interface. We've just not had anything like enough time to put it through its paces. With that said, while some clunkiness in the PlayStation Store is a touch off-putting, there's a sense that everything is well organised and easy to find, with a rich vein of useful functionality. The fact that the proliferation of the PS3's download/install progress bars has now been reduced significantly can only be a good thing.

PlayStation 4 may well be based on PC hardware, then, but based on these first impressions, it feels like much more of a console - a pure gaming thoroughbred - than its predecessor.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby El Chaos » 10 May 2014 19:14

The PlayStation 4 hard drive upgrade guide: Digital Foundry tests faster HDDs, hybrid drives and SSDs. Do games load faster and play more smoothly?
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... rade-guide
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

[PS4] Emagon

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Dec 2014 18:57

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taMyU84q-pc

Looks like a first-person exploration type of game, maybe with RPG elements (since the trailer seems to say something about "choices", etc.; not sure because it's in Spanish).

It's clearly for PS4 and it's coming December 5, or at least more information on it is coming then. Can't find anything else about it online. Via NeoGAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=141127993
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Dec 2014 19:02

The NeoGAF thread was updated with a link to the Spanish PS blog:

http://blog.es.playstation.com/2014/12/ ... aystation/

Javier Borrego wrote:EMAGON – ¡Descubre el primer tráiler del secreto mejor guardado de Playstation!
El día 5 de diciembre lo descubrirás...

Como ya sabréis, PlayStation cumple esta semana 20 años. Se trata de una fecha muy especial para nosotros, que nunca pensábamos llegar tan lejos desde el lanzamiento japonés de nuestra querida PSOne allá por el año 1994. Por eso queremos ofreceros algo a la altura de las circunstancias.

Sin embargo, para conocer de qué se trata, tendréis que esperar. Sobre estas líneas podéis ver un misterioso tráiler llamano EMAGON y una fecha: el 5 de diciembre. ¡Ese día conoceréis el secreto mejor guardado de PlayStation!

Weird that the only info on the game is in Spanish. Or else I am being sent to the Spanish site because my IP is Spanish?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby El Chaos » 02 Dec 2014 14:09

I can't find anything about it on the American PlayStation blog.

Here's a translation of the teaser:

Twenty years. It's a long time. Look around you and see all that you have achieved. You have reigned infinite places, conquered and liberated, built and destroyed, you've been the light facing the darkness. However this time is different, this time it's for real. For the first time your actions have real consequences. They need your help. I know you can hear them. The power to change things is in your hands.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby El Chaos » 06 Dec 2014 05:10

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=945754

Guymelef wrote:Emagon...revealed...

NOGAME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KetyQEk_YQ
It's the way to obtain the PS4 20th Anniversary in Spain (350 units)

There will be Auctions on December 12th, 13th and 14th.
https://www.playstation20aniversario.com/index.php

All the benefit will go to UNICEF and JUEGATERAPIA.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby JC Denton » 08 Dec 2014 23:30

Thread merged with PS4 thread.
JC Denton
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby El Chaos » 23 Jun 2015 21:27

https://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/150622_e.html

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. wrote:SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT TO LAUNCH NEW PLAYSTATION®4 WORLDWIDE STARTING FROM JAPAN AT END OF JUNE

150622_1.jpg
150622_1.jpg (14.81 KiB) Viewed 51680 times

150622_2.jpg
150622_2.jpg (14.01 KiB) Viewed 51680 times

Tokyo, June 22, 2015 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that a new PlayStation®4(PS4™) computer entertainment system (body color: Jet Black / Glacier White) will become available towards the end of June, 2015 in Japan, followed by North America / Europe / Asian countries and regions.

The weight of the new PS4 system has been reduced by 10% and the power consumption by 8%, compared to the current PS4 model. In addition, the surface of the new PS4 system’s HDD bay cover will come in a matte finish, giving the system a more casual look. With the new system, users can continue to enjoy unique and interactive entertainment experiences only available on PlayStation®, including the wide array of game titles and strong network offerings.

The PS4 system’s games portfolio will continue to expand with highly anticipated titles from third-party publishers as well as SCE Worldwide Studios such as SENGOKU BASARA4 SUMERAGI (CAPCOM CO., LTD.), METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN (Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.), GOD OF WAR III Remastered, Until Dawn, and The Tomorrow Children.*1

SCE will continue to expand the world of PS4 to deliver entertainment experiences that are only possible on PlayStation.

*1 Title line-up as well as the number of titles differs by regions.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby El Chaos » 06 Jul 2015 15:26

New PS4 hardware is more efficient with less fan noise, Japanese blog tears down and tests new CUH-1200 model: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... cient-blog

Richard Leadbetter wrote:Almost two years into the PS4's lifecycle, Sony has updated the console with a substantial revision that is not only cheaper to produce, but is also quieter and considerably more power-efficient. The new CUH-1200 revision is currently available only in Japan so unfortunately we can't test it directly, but much of the analysis we'd like to carry out has already been done by the Pocket News blog, and the results are fascinating.

Let's talk about the physical make-up of the machine first. The changes extend way beyond the removal of the glossy plastics and a re-arrangement of the existing rear ports on the unit's exterior. On the inside, there's a new, smaller motherboard with a series of changes. Taking centre-stage is a reconfiguration of the GDDR5 memory set-up. Earlier incarnations of the PS4 used a considerable 16 memory modules to provide the 8GB complement - the new CUH-1200 makes use of double-density Samsung modules to halve that to just eight, which should reduce energy consumption significantly.

The main processor within PS4 has received a new designation, perhaps suggesting some kind of change to its design, but its physical dimensions remain the same, confirming that it is still a 28nm chip. There remains the possibility that Sony may have moved onto a more efficient iteration of the 28nm process, but our gut feeling is that it's still the same chip at its core.

Within CUH-1200, there's still the usual 5400rpm HGST Z5K500 hard drive, but other areas see change. There's the introduction of a simpler Blu-ray drive design, minor changes to component arrangement and the replacement of a few chips, including the Panasonic HDMI controller. There are also small changes to the cooling assemblies through the unit, but the main fan is the same. A new power supply is introduced: it's 80g lighter and has a lower output, which may also contribute to the overall improvement in power efficiency.

CUH-1200a.jpg

CUH-1200b.jpg

Pocket News 'tore down' the new CUH-1200 unit, revealing the new motherboard layout. The previous board had 16 512MB GDDR5 modules, eight on each side of the board. The new unit has only eight modules, all of them on the reverse side. Click on the thumbnails for a closer look.

And that's where the new CUH-1200 model really comes into its own. According to Pocket News's metrics, standby power is anything from 30 to 50 per cent lower (depending on mode) compared to the launch unit, while the main menu is around 11 per cent more efficient. Perhaps not surprisingly, the biggest gain comes during gameplay, where the launch unit draws 148.6W, while CUH-1200 brings that down to 122W - that's an 18 per cent drop, and actually brings PS4 power consumption down to the same approximate level as Xbox One.

But for many, it'll be any reduction in fan noise that is most important, and without a proper hands-on, it's difficult to translate Pocket News's metrics into an appreciation of the actual experience. However, the launch PS4 was measured at a peak 60dB, dropping down to a minimum of 43dB and 57dB on average. In contrast, CUH-1200 handed in a peak 56dB, 42dB minimum and 52dB on average. It may not sound like a lot, but decibels aren't measured on a linear scale, and the Pocket News blogger notes that the new unit is noticeably quieter. As the new unit uses the same fan as the older hardware, the reduction in noise must simply come down to a lower rpm overall.

PlayStation 4's fan noise is one of the only issues we have with what is fundamentally a very well-designed piece of hardware. Sony chose to retain a console-like form-factor over the set-top box style found on Xbox One, resulting in a more stylish unit but one that by necessity requires a smaller fan spinning at a faster rate, inevitably producing more noise. But the bottom line is that an 18 per cent drop in power consumption leads to less heat generation overall, and thus less of a need to cool the internals quite so aggressively.

We'll try to get a closer look at the new hardware as soon as possible, but that isn't easy bearing in mind that the new design is currently available only in Japan. The new 1TB PlayStation coming to the UK is based on the existing design, and it's unknown when the new version will ship to territories outside of Japan. But the basic existence of a CUH-1200 based on the existing chassis scuppers any potential PS4 'Slim' for a good while yet - we fully expect that it'll take a full revision of the main processor to a smaller 20nm or 16nm fabrication node to see a top to bottom revision of the full console. But in the here and now, CUH-1200 looks like an impressive new iteration of the PS4 hardware, and we'd recommend taking a trip to the Pocket News blog to dive deep into the wealth of data on the new hardware.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby El Chaos » 18 Sep 2015 20:23

CUH-1200 'C-Chassis' review: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... sis-review

Thomas Morgan wrote:Two years into its lifespan, the new C-Chassis model PS4 tackles the hardware's most glaring issue: its acoustic signature under load. In terms of noise output, the fans still kick into a high gear with games like Rocket League - and just like the launch PS4, a disc spinning in the drive pushes this decibel reading still higher. However, it's without a doubt a substantial improvement over the launch unit. The heavier rush of air in our CUH-1000 model is replaced with a more bearable hum, at 10dB quieter; a sound that's no longer audible from across an office space. For all intents and purposes, the most grating edge of the PS4's audio signature is taken off.

It's quieter, lighter and around 30W more power efficient during the games tested. But as a sacrifice, peak temperatures are also marginally worse. Given that its APU uses the same 28nm design as a launch PS4, inevitably the C-Chassis' drop in fan speed has a knock-on effect with heat build-up inside the unit. Fortunately, this rarely exceeds the last model by much more than two degrees Celsius overall, which gives an optimistic outlook on the new console's long-term reliability. It's a minor detracting point, and on balance for the improved acoustics, a worthy trade-off.

The move to a full matte finish, a revised LED strip up top, and the use of physical 'clicky' buttons for power and eject are all subtle, but welcome changes too. However, the focus is really on the new PS4 model's curtailed noise and power levels, with most other aspects fixed in place. Is an upgrade from a launch unit justifiable here? We would suggest no; the C-Chassis is a clear advance in the PS4's design, but at the console's circa £260 price-point it makes more sense to hang tight for a more radical revision down the line. But for those making a first investment on a PS4 soon, the CUH-1200 is without doubt the one to buy.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby Some guy » 08 Oct 2015 14:55

Sony PS4 price drops to $350 in the US; $429 in Canada; UK likely soon
http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2015/10 ... kely-soon/

Mark Walton wrote:Starting October 9, Sony is dropping the official retail price of the PlayStation 4 in the US to $349 from $399, and in Canada to CAD 429 from CAD 449. The price drops mean that, in the US at least, the PS4 now costs the same as an Xbox One. The announcement follows a similar price drop in Japan earlier this month.

There's no word yet from Sony on whether the UK or Europe will get their own price drop, other than "we have nothing to announce at this time." Currently the PS4 costs £349 in the UK and €399 in Europe. If a price drop does happen, it's likely that Sony will announce it at its press conference at Paris Games Show later this month. The new UK price could be as low as £299, to match the Xbox One, but we wouldn't be surprised if it's a smaller drop—to £329 or thereabouts.

The US price drop follows a leak from US retailer Target, which placed an image on its website proclaiming a "$50 price drop on the PS4" in big letters next to box art for the upcoming Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection hardware bundle. In addition to the standalone console, several hardware bundles have also seen a price drop. A full list of reductions is below.

Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection bundle – $350 / CAD 430
Limited Edition Call of Duty Black Ops 3 1TB bundle – $430 / CAD 500
Limited Edition Disney Infinity 3.0: Star Wars bundle – $400 / CAD 470
Limited Edition Star Wars Battlefront bundle – $400 / CAD 470
Star Wars Battlefront bundle – $350 / CAD 430
NHL 16 bundle (Canada only) – CAD 430
Some guy

Unread postby El Chaos » 23 Jan 2016 16:06

Is it time for a PS4 SSD upgrade? With ever-increasing loading times, a radical solution is required: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... ith-an-ssd

Thomas Morgan wrote:The worth of an SSD upgrade mostly boils down to which games you play. It's a winner for a Bloodborne fan, where the cumulative time spent looking at loading screens can certainly add up by the end - and every saving helps. But for titles where quick restarts are on hand (such as Metal Gear Solid V), the value of an SSD upgrade is lessened somewhat. But even here, we do shave seconds off the clock when booting into a mission, almost halving the process of a stock drive.

To put these stats into perspective, loading times across all six games tally up to 15 minutes and 50 seconds on a stock PS4 drive. By comparison, an SSD jumps through all the very same hoops in just 11 minutes, 10 seconds overall. The savings on a solid state drive can't be questioned here, but the idea of cumulative gains is an interesting one - an upgrade that means we cut 28.6 per cent of the wait across a breadth of titles in our library. The length and frequency of loading times varies per game, but it's something that clearly tallies up over the course of a year.

The SSHD option pales in comparison, but it still gives PS4's loading times a respectable speed-up. Calculated the same way, all loading times on the hybrid drive add up to 13 minutes and 30 seconds, saving 13.2 per cent of the time taken on the stock drive. Factoring in the doubling of space, and the cheaper price tag, it's a more economical path to take overall, if not one that delivers the premium experience in the speed stakes.

All of which points to the issue of budget. SSD prices are tumbling faster than we had anticipated, and with larger capacity drives on the horizon, we suspect the lower end 480GB models - and even 1TB - will soon hit more reasonable price points. Right now, the SSD upgrade option on PS4 remains a luxury and our 2TB upgrade path remains preferable overall, but for die-hard fans of certain games looking to squeeze the most out of their console time, there's simply no better path.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby El Chaos » 24 Mar 2016 20:16

We know PlayStation 4.5 is real - but why is Sony making it? http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... -making-it
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby El Chaos » 20 Apr 2016 19:29

Revealed: Sony's plan for PlayStation 4K - codename Neo, the spec leak is genuine - here's everything you need to know: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... o-revealed

How PlayStation Neo and the original PS4 will co-exist: games, hardware, PSN and more - how Sony plans for two PlayStations to live side-by-side: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... l-co-exist
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby El Chaos » 16 Aug 2016 20:17

In Theory: Can Sony upgrade PlayStation Neo's specs? Microsoft's Scorpio spec is stronger. Can Sony close the gap? http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... -in-theory
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware